Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I watched Home Alone the other day. Kevin and the rest of the McAllisters come off completely self-centered and toxic. the dad seemed like he hated Kevin and it’s a safe bet he would have forced his family to stay in Paris in order to abandon his son. the mom is the most “let me talk to your manager” type of lady and she’s not very grateful to John Candy for getting her to Chicago. honestly the movie could’ve used a lot more John Candy. like I’d want to watch his family accidentally leave him home alone. Joe Pesci and other guy wanted to participate in Christmas which is something American society demands of everyone but seeing as other guy is a war veteran with PTSD and Joe Pesci is some kind of burn victim it seems unlikely they have regular jobs or the means to celebrate Christmas. They choose houses where no is home and Joe Pesci specifically chastises other guy for leaving the water running. “you’re sick” he reminds him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Arthur Christmas is top tier. And is hands down the best santa claus movie.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

just say christmas vacation for the first time and it sucks donkey balls

..the gently caress!?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Waltzing Along posted:

Arthur Christmas is top tier. And is hands down the best santa claus movie.

Is that "Three strips of tape!"?

It's more of a special, but this is one of my essentials:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hj3U18FHgQ

Accept no substitutes.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
*~my wife~* used to insist upon ’Love Actually’, but I think I cured her. I hope.

Neal Stephenson had the heroine of his book ‘Reamde’ kill a potential rapist with a dvd of it: since that’s one of only two good passages in the whole book, I have a microscopic feeling of thankfulness towards it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In the US starting on Christmas Eve you turn the channel to TBS/TNT and ‘A Christmas Story’ plays for 24 hours straight and if you ever change the channel Santa DIES so you can’t change the channel

But seriously why would you ever watch anything besides ‘A Christmas Story’?

Actually I would make room for A Charlie Brown Christmas, Diehard, and Gremlins

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

Bust Rodd posted:

In the US starting on Christmas Eve you turn the channel to TBS/TNT and ‘A Christmas Story’ plays for 24 hours straight and if you ever change the channel Santa DIES so you can’t change the channel

But seriously why would you ever watch anything besides ‘A Christmas Story’?

Actually I would make room for A Charlie Brown Christmas, Diehard, and Gremlins

Yeah Christmas story but you can only watch it during the marathon. Any other time would just be wrong
I always loved Garfield as a kid so def Garfield Christmas for sure
I always loved the Muppet Christmas Carol. For some reason me and my brother were obsessed with the song that goes "when the cold wind blows it chills you, CHILLS YOU TO THE BONE"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
There are some genuinely good Christmas movies, the problem is I have seen them every year for 20 years, so now I hate them, and I loathe the moments every year when my parents decide it's time to watch A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, Home Alone, It's A Wonderful Life, Scrooge (1951) and Earnest Saves Christmas. It's not that any of those movies are bad, and I found the comedies to be funny once, but it's every loving year.

It's weird as hell, because for example, Christmas Vacation, was a laugh riot once upon a time, especially the squirrel sequence. But the last few years I started paying attention and my entire family watches the entire movie stone-faced and not even a single chuckle. I think I could learn to love these movies again if we had a few years off, and then have gap years for each movie to let my brain "reset."

The bigger problem is probably that my parents (especially my mom) have boomer brain when it comes to Christmas, so everything must follow the same tradition every year into eternity. One year my brother convinced them to play Gremlins, and after much resistance my mom begrudgingly gave in, it was a nice change, but the next year it went back to the status quo.

That said, I've quite enjoyed having a few movies in my rotation over the last few years:

- Christmas Evil. A great Christmas themed horror movie that's more akin to Taxi Driver than say Silent Night Deadly Night.

- A Charlie Brown Christmas. It was pretty much never watched in my house growing up because my mom thought it was too sad.

- Scrooged. I remember seeing it once as a kid, but it probably gave my brother nightmares

- Emmit Otter's Jug Band Christmas. Sort of a lost Muppet special, I saw for the first time this year. It's not amazing but there's a lot of amazing muppetry, and it was nice to see something very new to me.

- Gremlins. Came out with a nice UHD 4k transfer this year, that was fun, it also made me realize that the town square is probably the same one from Back to the Future.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Iron Crowned posted:

- Emmit Otter's Jug Band Christmas. Sort of a lost Muppet special, I saw for the first time this year. It's not amazing but there's a lot of amazing muppetry, and it was nice to see something very new to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqWJD1ov6oY

Edit: it says Behind the Scenes, but these are really funny outtakes.

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 12, 2019

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Scrooge is when I wake up in sweat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYKctJdbpG4

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

This new one called Klaus on Netflix about a spoiled nepotic postman, who has to turn a backwater post office turn into a flourishing station and then befriends a lonely woodworker, is pretty good. Art style is good, it's not too stupid either.

My own families favorites is the one with the griswolds, we watch it every drat year.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Gremlins has been mentioned, but nobody has mentioned Phoebe Cates' awesome Christmas speech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueVPUsyrT0s
I am also a fan of her work in the bar scene.

A guilty pleasure of mine is The Santa Clause. I haven't seen the sequels though.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Beachcomber posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqWJD1ov6oY

Edit: it says Behind the Scenes, but these are really funny outtakes.

Emmet Otter teaches an important lesson. Sometimes the bad guys win fair and square and they may be an ugly bunch of assholes but they have a cooler band and a better act than you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJ3cWWNXBHg

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

I have two very young children so in our house it's a lot of animated rubbish. Though Arthur Christmas is great.

This is our rotation every single year:

Home Alone
Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
Elf
Arthur Christmas
Miracle on 34th Street
The Polar Express
The Santa Clause
The Santa Clause 2
The Santa Clause 3
Nativity!
Nativity! 2
Nativity! 3
The Snowman
Father Christmas
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Shrek The Halls (I tune out whenever this is on)
My Little Pony: A Very Minty Christmas (ditto)
That garbage Christmas Paw Patrol episode
That garbage Christmas Peppa Pig episode
The Muppet Christmas Carol (owns)
Scrooge (The Albert Finney one, owns)

When the kids are in bed:

Die Hard (owns)
Die Hard 2 (ditto)
Scrooged (also owns)
Batman Returns (It's set at Christmas, shut up)
Gremlins
Krampus

When i'm on my own (wife hates these and refuses to watch them)

Jingle All The Way
Bad Santa
Love Actually
Santa With Muscles

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Jingle All the Way is such a bizarre film, it starts out as like a slice of life comedy about parenthood and ends with an anime jet pack battle between Sinbad and the Terminator in like 90 minutes

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
We watched Batman returns last night it’s definitely a Christmas movie. Catwoman make me feel weird feelings inside

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Also A Nasty Piece of Work on Hulu was a pretty entertaining Christmas themed horror movie.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I hated Jingle all the Way. I remember it being horribly naff and unfunny and it's weird to discover so many people love it decades later. I was about 14 when I saw it which is probably the worst age to do so, so maybe I should give it another look.

George C. Scott's and the Muppet's Christmas Carols both get played every year. They're like a cosy blanket.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

Elephant Ambush posted:

Scrooged!

Holy poo poo what is wrong with all of you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKVVQiJ7gKo

This is the best Christmas movie. Watch it almost every year with my mom, who also loves it.

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

I think Elf is a piece of poo poo. There I said it

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Batman Returns counts as a christmas movie, right? If we're counting Die Hard then we can count Batman Returns.

Gotta love them penguins with rocket launchers.

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

BrigadierSensible posted:

Gremlins has been mentioned, but nobody has mentioned Phoebe Cates' awesome Christmas speech.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueVPUsyrT0s
I am also a fan of her work in the bar scene.

A guilty pleasure of mine is The Santa Clause. I haven't seen the sequels though.

LOL! Classic. love this one too, but i don't always watch it this time of year. It really is kind of a Christmas film though, moreso than Die Hard.
Love Elf too and I always manage to see one of those Rankin Bass specials and at least part of a Christmas Story on the day of.
Last few years me and my family have gone to see whatever new Star Wars is out on the day of xmas. I don't mind it, but man, all these new Star Wars are so bad. I figure it can't really get worse after Solo though

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Chrs posted:

What don’t you like about it?

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Bust Rodd posted:

What don’t you like about it?

will ferrell

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Noelle on Disney+ is really sweet and funny. It seems up its own rear end for half an hour and then starts to really work.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Confession time: I have never ever seen It's a Wonderful Life. I feel as if I've seen it already, what with all the social osmosis and references in other Christmas media throughout the years.

George Bailey has an imaginary pet rabbit only he can see, and they drive around the country in a van solving crimes, right?

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icjh6wGUUfE

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

bitterandtwisted posted:

I hated Jingle all the Way. I remember it being horribly naff and unfunny and it's weird to discover so many people love it decades later. I was about 14 when I saw it which is probably the worst age to do so, so maybe I should give it another look.

Definitely.

People had Arnold overload at that point but he's actually great in that movie, as is Phil Hartman and Sinbad's pretty funny in how unhinged his performance is (screaming "RODNEY KING!!!" when security moves on him in a kids movie still makes me laugh. His actions should net him about 80 years in the pen.)

The kid of course sucks but that's the price of admission.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

There is a 0.0% chance I can make it through Mickey's Christmas Carol dry eyed.

Hell, even through the intro song.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

You Are A Elf posted:

Confession time: I have never ever seen It's a Wonderful Life. I feel as if I've seen it already, what with all the social osmosis and references in other Christmas media throughout the years.

George Bailey has an imaginary pet rabbit only he can see, and they drive around the country in a van solving crimes, right?

p much and for trivia's sake, old man potter was the model for most of our government officials

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Torquemada posted:

*~my wife~* used to insist upon ’Love Actually’, but I think I cured her. I hope.

:same:

In terms of movies I actually like, Muppet Christmas Carol is my favorite, but you have to get the broadcast version that skips the awful love song.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

A Muppet Family Christmas owns, and is criminally overlooked.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x51uhqw

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

The kid of course sucks but that's the price of admission.

Isn't the kid the same kid from the Phantom Menace?

I watch Rudolph and Year without a Santa Claus every year, and my dad and I still watch Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol when I go home for Christmas.

It's your bog standard CC, except two of the ghosts show up in the wrong order, there's weird original songs, and the only Mr. Magoo stuff that happens is when he's off stage. Because for some reason, they also went to the trouble to outline the fact he's only playing Scrooge on Broadway.

I used to hate it, but now I'm kinda nostalgic toward it. Except for the stupid Tiny Tim song.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

I just remembered the classic "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians"

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0058548

It's different and amazingly bad in a different amazingly bad way. It is also Pia Zadora's film debut.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I like to watch the Ref. An hour and a half of Dennis Leary being Dennis Leary and horrible people dropping sick burns on each other.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8uPvv3dj8E

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

SilvergunSuperman posted:

There is a 0.0% chance I can make it through Mickey's Christmas Carol dry eyed.

Hell, even through the intro song.

Oh my god, yes. Something about seeing Mickey Mouse watery eyed at Tiny Tim’s grave as he softly lays Tim’s little crutch on his headstone. It’s incredibly sad.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Chrs posted:

Same. I didn't laugh once. Will Farrell just isn't funny to me at all.

Jingle All the Way is a live action Road Runner cartoon which is why it's awesome.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
I wanted to hate Elf on principle but ended up really liking it.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Tane posted:

my favorite christmas movie is platoon I know it doesn't have anything to do with christmas it's just a good movie and ill watch it on christmas while i drink alone

they had christmas lights in the stoner hangout tent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flora Finching
Sep 10, 2009

I can't believe you motherfuckers aren't watching The Little Princess with Shirley Temple.

Watched Train to Busan again while putting up the tree last night. I may have a new tradition.