Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Nesbit37

The time has come

As I was about to watch The Gamers: Dorkness Rising by myself, I remembered that once upon a time we had twice upon a time tried to put together a group stream viewing thing

THE TIME COULD NOT BE RIGHTER

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

BlackIronHeart posted:

Wisconsin is playing that role now.

Ilor posted:

And Iowa has been knocking it out of the park in terms of incompetence and denial since Day 1.

University of Iowa submitted a white paper to IDPH and the projections are, uh, not good

https://www.bleedingheartland.com/static/media/2020/05/IDPH-Whitepaper-Update-on-the-Current-COVID-19-Situation-in-the-State-of-Iowa-1.pdf

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Nesbit37

The time has come

As I was about to watch The Gamers: Dorkness Rising by myself, I remembered that once upon a time we had twice upon a time tried to put together a group stream viewing thing

Indeed! We should just pick a day of the week and a time. Was the list of movies in the last thread?

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

CellBlock posted:

I mean, it’s basically PAX, and people love that poo poo for some reason.

only one entrance in and one exit out of every location, staffed by "more police control" and over 400,000 hand sanitizer dispensers, plus like half a million masks? love it, excellent stuff

You joke, but that was PAX East this year. Pretty much EVERY booth had a gallon of hand sanitizer, and they employed a worker to literally just sit at the escalators with sanitizing wipes that held the cleaner against the rails of the escalators. It was a wild time.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Nesbit37

The time has come

I legitimately really like that movie, as silly as it is, and would be super down for a watch along party.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Indeed! We should just pick a day of the week and a time. Was the list of movies in the last thread?
Wow, I guess it must have been. HAS IT TRULY BEEN A YEAR

Quote Mode posted:

nesbit37 posted:

I don't remember if it was in this thread or the groupme, but it was proposed to do another online group viewing of Gen Con related films. Last year we did one very last minute one of Hobocon, which was fun but sparsely attended mainly because it was put together at the last second.

I know Gen Con feels super far away but its going to be here soon. I've got Gary Con next week, Unpub 9 a little over a week after that, and then Origins will be here before you know it and welp, then the nerd train to Indy starts going.

Do we want to get something on the calendar, even if its a month or two off (you can tell I am turning 40 this year based on my desire to schedule things)?

I have numerous films that may fit the bill:

Hobocon - 3 morons decide to go spend the weekend at Gen Con with no money and no room and try to survive the con by begging for food and crash space from other attendees. (Gen Con 2008 if memory serves)

Uber Goober - a 2004 independent documentary film focusing on people who play role-playing games. The film was directed by Steve Metze and features interviews with Gary Gygax, Peter Adkison, Mike Stackpole and Bob Larson, amongst others. The film has screened at theatres, film festivals, and gaming conventions, winning the award for "Best Film" at Gen Con Indianapolis, 2004.

Gamers: The Hand of Fate - An actually good movie about tabletop gaming. Deals with themes of women in gaming, specifically CCGs. Humerous at times, and a little less than half of it takes place at Gen Con (2013 or 2014 if memory serves)

TSR: The Fantasy Factory - This one isn't really about Gen Con at all, is on youtube, and only 22 minutes long so I dunno: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq8G-gjpWM8

City Confidential: Deadly Games in Little Washington - In 1988, a North Carolina State University student, Chris Pritchard, tried to live out his obsession with the fantasy game Dungeons and Dragons when he shot his mother and father-in-law, Bonnie and Lieth Von Stein.

Cruel Doubt - This is a dramatization of the Von Stein stuff mentioned above in City Confidential. A 1992 miniseries starring Blythe Danner and Matt McGrath, as well as Danner's daughter, Gwyneth Paltrow. The film was broadcast in two parts on NBC in the United States and on CTV in Canada on May 17 and May 19, 1992. Ed Asner, Adam Baldwin and Dennis Farina also star. The miniseries is based on the 1991 true crime book Cruel Doubt by Joe McGinniss, which documents the 1988 murder of Lieth Von Stein by his stepson, Chris Pritchard, and two friends, James Upchurch and Gerald Neal Henderson.

Skullduggery - Five anxious players gather for a medieval board game where merciless warlocks battle for ultimate occult power. But something is playing -- and it's no longer just a game. Some unspeakable evil is manipulating an unwitting player to play out a blood-letting orgy of unrelenting horror.

Note that most of the above are terrible, fair warning.
End Quote Mode
huh I genuinely had no idea we did nested quotes here somehow, good thing I accidentally did this

So obviously Gamers: Dorkness Rising can be added to this list, too, and it is just on YouTube so that is easy; is the first Gamers movie also handy? Probably.

Any other suggestions from Drowning Rabbit or the Peanut Gallery? Hmm? That reference is now almost 70 years old? Well, I mean, we are busting out all the vintage stuff from our collections these days right

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
What are you all thinking for timing, a weeknight? What timezone are most of us?

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

What are you all thinking for timing, a weeknight? What timezone are most of us?
I think the reason it never happens is because we discuss when to do it. Do you have any specific nights you wish you were randomly watching nerdy movies with the Goon Gang? If so, just declare that to be the day!

Edit: Also someone named "Insane" with a Don Quixote avatar just posted on the official forums about how wearing a mask is a dealbreaker for him. Username/post/avatar combo et cetera.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
https://www.gencon.com/press/updates-gen-con-covid19

quote:

Updated on May 19, 2020

To Our Gen Con Community:

It is with a heavy heart that we must announce the cancellation of Gen Con 2020 this August in Indianapolis. The safety and health of our attendees, exhibitors, and staff are of the utmost importance to us, and we cannot in good conscience host a gathering of thousands while doing so could threaten the health of so many.

Like you, we eagerly anticipate Gen Con every summer as a time of fun, connection, and celebration of our shared love of tabletop gaming and geek culture. We hope that the world will look different by August, but after closely following the development of the COVID-19 outbreak, having discussions with our partners in Indianapolis, and in keeping with guidance from the CDC, we can’t see a clear picture of how soon it will be safe for all of us to gather again. The only responsible choice is to cancel the convention this year.

We’re proud of being the largest and longest-running tabletop gaming convention in North America, but we are a small business run by a core team of 14 passionate individuals. To be candid, not having a convention is very tough for us, both emotionally and financially. The show in Indianapolis is our primary focus and source of revenue, and it’s your enthusiasm for gathering around tabletop gaming, as well as the passion and ingenuity of our sponsors, exhibitors, event team, and event organizers, that inspires us to make the show bigger and better every year.

In this regard, we could use your help: If you’ve already purchased your badge for Gen Con 2020 and are willing to roll it forward to Gen Con 2021, it will help us keep our staff employed through these unprecedented times and come back better than ever next year. If you’d like to pursue this option, you don’t have to do anything — we’ll convert your 2020 badge to a badge for 2021. However, if that’s not in your financial picture, we completely understand. Information about requesting a refund can be found here, and all badge holders will be contacted by email with detailed instructions. Additionally, if you’ve booked a hotel through our Housing Portal, your reservation will automatically be canceled without any fees.

All Pop-Up Gen Con events will also be canceled for 2020, and participating retailers will be contacted by email with instructions.

Going through the month of August without doing something to connect and play games together doesn’t seem right to us. During the original dates of the convention (July 30 – Aug 2), we’ll be hosting Gen Con Online, a virtual convention featuring a slate of events and programming you can attend from the safety of your devices and in the comfort of your favorite quarantine sweatpants!

Nothing can replace being at Gen Con in person, but we hope you’ll join us in donning our sweet Gen Con 2020 gear to play games and celebrate the things that bring us together. More details and announcements to follow soon! Sign up for our newsletter and follow us on social media for the latest updates.

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your support during this time. We hope that you and your circle of loved ones are safe and healthy! We look forward to seeing your wonderful faces in 2021!

Team Gen Con

Gen Con will return to Indianapolis August 5-8, 2021

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

:rip:

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foyAOoVagWw

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I'm sad to see it, but happy that I'm not going to have to make the decision to not go if they somehow still had it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Sad year for fat buttcracks

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Its not the same as a badge to a con that doesn't exist, but it'll do.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

I think the reason it never happens is because we discuss when to do it. Do you have any specific nights you wish you were randomly watching nerdy movies with the Goon Gang? If so, just declare that to be the day!

Edit: Also someone named "Insane" with a Don Quixote avatar just posted on the official forums about how wearing a mask is a dealbreaker for him. Username/post/avatar combo et cetera.

How about Wednesdays at either 7 or 8pm EST? Can start next week, just need to pick the film roster. And I guess figure out what program/app is going to be best for group viewing the videos since they're going to be playing off of a computer.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
Ah well I'm bummed but glad they finally did it. I also picked up some merch for the gencon that never was.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
:cry: :omg: :sad: :cries4realalways: :endme:

Agrias120 posted:

I'm sad to see it, but happy that I'm not going to have to make the decision to not go if they somehow still had it.
Yeah I was at least 50% likely to go if it had actually happened, particularly if the Auction was happening as I feel a permanent obligation to help it succeed now. And I am about 98% glad it was cancelled.

Carteret posted:

GIT 'EM AFORE THEY DUN SELLED OOT

nesbit37 posted:

How about Wednesdays at either 7 or 8pm EST? Can start next week, just need to pick the film roster. And I guess figure out what program/app is going to be best for group viewing the videos since they're going to be playing off of a computer.
Torrent had a good suggestion that we also plan to watch something every night of Shoulda Been-Con also. But I like the idea of Wednesdays. Later is better for me personally, as I am always convincing the Gen-Con Toddler to sleep at 8 EST, and I assume most everyone is at least lightly nocturnal?

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Torrent had a good suggestion that we also plan to watch something every night of Shoulda Been-Con also. But I like the idea of Wednesdays. Later is better for me personally, as I am always convincing the Gen-Con Toddler to sleep at 8 EST, and I assume most everyone is at least lightly nocturnal?

Let's aim for 8 then, I'll figure out the software bit if you want to do the film roster part.

I think a movie a night over the gen con that never was is a good idea. I'll apparently be doing the virtual exhibit hall this year and I have no idea what that is going to entail at this point but it can't possibly be as exhausting as actually running a booth at Gen Con reality edition.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Apparently Gencon also extended their contract with Indy through 2026.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I haven't cancelled my hotel yet, since I can up until the day. We may end up going to Indy anyway, since GenCon is our one year trip. Depends on how things look, I guess.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

M a x posted:

Apparently Gencon also extended their contract with Indy through 2026.

Lol that’s a terrific use of leverage by Indy.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
They actually did that like 2 years ago I believe when Indy announced they were going to build 2 more hotels (1 has sense been delayed) downtown.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

nesbit37 posted:

Let's aim for 8 then, I'll figure out the software bit if you want to do the film roster part.

I think a movie a night over the gen con that never was is a good idea. I'll apparently be doing the virtual exhibit hall this year and I have no idea what that is going to entail at this point but it can't possibly be as exhausting as actually running a booth at Gen Con reality edition.
Film Roster...Fielam Roastarrr...

O.K., taking suggestions now beyond these things already listed on this page:

The Gamers
The Gamers: Dorkness Rising
The Gamers: The Hand of Fate
Hobocon
Uber Goober
TSR: The Fantasy Factory
City Confidential: Deadly Games in Little Washington
Cruel Doubt
Skullduggery

Is there a free version of the Blackmoor documentary online I wonder? And I swear I have watched other Gen-Con/D&D/TSR/whatever-related videos over the past several years but none of them are coming to mind right now

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Is there a free version of the Blackmoor documentary online I wonder? And I swear I have watched other Gen-Con/D&D/TSR/whatever-related videos over the past several years but none of them are coming to mind right now

I have a copy on blue ray of that doc. I have some other TSR/Gen Con stuff I wish I could show but I can't. I probably have a few things I can show that I just forgot about, will see what I dig up when I get time.

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
https://www.offworlddesigns.com/gen-con-2020-shot-glass/

This also feels pretty relevant just now.

I'm sad there's no GenCon, but there's no question about it being the right call.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Yeah, it's the right call. I hope the business entity that is Gencon doesn't lose their shirts because of it. I'll roll my badge over for 2021 and I bought a 2020 shirt to show my support and also grieve a little.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Film Roster...Fielam Roastarrr...

O.K., taking suggestions now beyond these things already listed on this page:

I think all of the dungeons and dragons cartoons are on youtube, but terrible quality (although who knows how good the actual dvds/source are)

E:

Carteret posted:

I've never bought gencon merch before, so makes sense I'd buy the merch for the con that wasn't

Fellis fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 20, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yes the 2020 shotglass seems appropriate, as does the fact that the 2020 Genevieve dragon magnet looks like it is making the shrugging "whattaya gonna do" gesture with its wings

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, it's the right call. I hope the business entity that is Gencon doesn't lose their shirts because of it. I'll roll my badge over for 2021 and I bought a 2020 shirt to show my support and also grieve a little.
Only 441 days until Gen-Con :unsmith:

assuming it happens in 2021

I bought a couple of shirts despite being on a general "I am over owning things" kick; interested to see what they meant when foreshadowing that there might be more specific "Gen Cancelled" merchandise coming. Gen Conline. Gen Cocalypse. Cockalypse

nesbit37 posted:

I have a copy on blue ray of that doc. I have some other TSR/Gen Con stuff I wish I could show but I can't. I probably have a few things I can show that I just forgot about, will see what I dig up when I get time.
Yeah I know you got some elite goods that we cannot see, but maybe by 2021?! AND HURRY UP AND CHECK, what else are you doing man

Fellis posted:

I think all of the dungeons and dragons cartoons are on youtube, but terrible quality (although who knows how good the actual dvds/source are)

I've never bought gencon merch before, so makes sense I'd buy the merch for the con that wasn't
True, the D&D cartoon is an obvious add. And Mudcrab Merchant would be excited if we group-watched the D&D movies I am sure (well, the first one anyway).

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yes the 2020 shotglass seems appropriate, as does the fact that the 2020 Genevieve dragon magnet looks like it is making the shrugging "whattaya gonna do" gesture with its wings

I bought a couple of shirts despite being on a general "I am over owning things" kick; interested to see what they meant when foreshadowing that there might be more specific "Gen Cancelled" merchandise coming. Gen Conline. Gen Cocalypse. Cockalypse

Gary Con did a pretty sweet virtual con shirt. I am hoping Gen Con does the same.

Dr. Quarex posted:

Yeah I know you got some elite goods that we cannot see, but maybe by 2021?! AND HURRY UP AND CHECK, what else are you doing man

True, the D&D cartoon is an obvious add. And Mudcrab Merchant would be excited if we group-watched the D&D movies I am sure (well, the first one anyway).

I have those cartoons on DVD as well. I just moved so all of my stuff is still in boxes, need to dig up the files and such.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I have a soft spot for all those dumb D&D movies despite how awful cornball they get. There's also been a rise in "so hey my D&D group made a movie" with movie series like mythica, which has like.. 5 movies in it

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

So the most important question about Gen Con 2020 is if Crystal Cast has the 2020 commerative dice already ordered, and if so will we be able to order them now or can we pick them up in 2021

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Sloober posted:

I have a soft spot for all those dumb D&D movies despite how awful cornball they get. There's also been a rise in "so hey my D&D group made a movie" with movie series like mythica, which has like.. 5 movies in it
Five...five movies...D&D group...wow. Well, I guess we better compile the world's largest collection of astoundingly absurd D&D/Gen-Con-related things to watch.

8one6 posted:

So the most important question about Gen Con 2020 is if Crystal Cast has the 2020 commerative dice already ordered, and if so will we be able to order them now or can we pick them up in 2021
Someone on the official forums mentioned the commemorative 2020 dice definitely exist, so yeah the question is how long we will have to wait to get them. I feel like them being available next year is just wrong, though, so maybe they will just get permission to sell them online? Except then we know scalpers would somehow buy them all???

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Based on the email Gen Con sent to exhibitors I would think they should be able to sell those dice this year still.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Also I somehow forgot to add Origins Online's fairly rad t-shirt design to onlineshirtchat; particularly well-deserved as it represents something obviously created with relatively little preparation time!

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I was unaware I could play board games with my Commodore PET.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

fordan posted:

I was unaware I could play board games with my Commodore PET.
*8-Bit Guy appears and condescends you into oblivion*

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hey

HEY

NESBIT37

IT IS WEDNESDAY

What uh

what do we do

We should definitely do it tonight even if nobody but us shows up, just as proof of concept (plus I will be at least 30 minutes late)

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I wonder if I still have my original DVD for the Gamers.

Pretty sure I'm setup to be able to stream that to discord or the like.

Edit:

Heh I totally still have the DVD

Frozen Peach fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 28, 2020

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Hey

HEY

NESBIT37

IT IS WEDNESDAY

What uh

what do we do

We should definitely do it tonight even if nobody but us shows up, just as proof of concept (plus I will be at least 30 minutes late)

My bad, we didn't really pick something to start with that I remember so I just kind of forgot. Next Wednesday 8pm for sure. https://kast.gg/ is what I used last time we did this (though it was rabb.it then) and it looks like it should still work. I think it's free, so we should probably try and use it.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

https://www.gencon.com/online

Gencon Online registration is open fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

M a x posted:

https://www.gencon.com/online

Gencon Online registration is open fwiw

I will see about setting up digital shots wednesday, then

you will not need a gencon badge to attend digital shots wednesday.

the traditional drinks are jameson and fireball, plus your favorite german beer

but i'm not one one to tell you what to do in your own home

Deviant fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 1, 2020