Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
In-block hotel prices released today, though considering how rare the downtown hotel rooms are I don't think it really matters what they cost. If you get one, you take it.

https://www.gencon.com/attend/hotelmap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MinisterSinister posted:

I've lived in Indiana all my life and I've never been to Gen Con.

Unfortunately I grew up in rural bumfuck Indiana where there aren't a lot of nerds of any stripe -unless you consider redneck potheads to be nerds- so that is probably why.

I'm definitely going to the next one though.
CORRECT MINISTERSINISTER

Glad to have you aboard the Gen-Goon Train!

Whether you are going for the shots or the stats or the victory points, you will have a good time.

nesbit37 posted:

Gary con has a hotel debacle this year that may top Gen Cons. The main hotel where the convention is sold out on minutes last march. Yesterday, for a mystery reason, they started sending people emails that they were being booted to another hotel 1.5 miles away. Supposedly this was for some error the hotel didnt notice for about 20 minutes, but people that booked seconds after the block opened are reporting getting the boot. Its indisciminent, vendors, people with accessibility issues, the people that run miniature games with Tupperware upon Tupperware of figures and terrain. Hundreds have posted on facebook complaining about it and to top it off the hotel is not apologizing in any way and generally being dicks about it. Gary con is less than 3 months away.

Edit: also if you dont confirm the new or old booking by 12/30 they will cancel everything on you. This is all in an email that is going to spam for many people.

Link to official post about this for the curious: https://www.facebook.com/groups/58339157369/permalink/10157910348337370/
I saw that debacle in passing but I seriously somehow thought it was somebody begging others to cancel their rooms in order to secure one. Oops, wow, that changes things a bit.

Something tells me Gary Con will not be at the Grand Geneva again in 2021? Glad I went to Ye Olde Former Playboy Club to accidentally continue my "former Gen Con locations tourism" run when it still was.

Now, who wants to go to the University of Wisconsin-Parkside with me and just stand around

Edit: poo poo GEORGE WILLIAMS COLLEGE WAS DEMOLISHED DECADES AGO, I CAN NEVER GO TO THEM ALL EDIT AGAIN: OH WAIT that was a different campus, the Gen Con site is now called the "George Williams College of Aurora University," whew

Dr. Quarex fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Dec 19, 2019

MinisterSinister
Dec 17, 2019

Admiral Joeslop posted:

The only good thing about living in Indiana is being close to Gencon.

Granted, we're still three hours away but that's practically nothing!

Three hours north or south?

I'm the former, up by Chicago. One of the reasons I never went to GenCon is because we have C2E2, but from the media I've seen, GenCon looks better.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Something tells me Gary Con will not be at the Grand Geneva again in 2021? Glad I went to Ye Olde Former Playboy Club to accidentally continue my "former Gen Con locations tourism" run when it still was.

Now, who wants to go to the University of Wisconsin-Parkside with me and just stand around

Edit: poo poo GEORGE WILLIAMS COLLEGE WAS DEMOLISHED DECADES AGO, I CAN NEVER GO TO THEM ALL EDIT AGAIN: OH WAIT that was a different campus, the Gen Con site is now called the "George Williams College of Aurora University," whew

Gary Con really should leave Lake Geneva but I also really don't want it to. It's getting kind of weird anyway the more popular D&D is getting, and as Luke Gygax gets sucked a little further into "hollywood" each year vis a vis celebrity D&D DMs and players.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MinisterSinister posted:

I'm the former, up by Chicago. One of the reasons I never went to GenCon is because we have C2E2, but from the media I've seen, GenCon looks better.
I have never heard anyone prefer the former to the latter, but then the crossover audience is surprisingly small from what I can gather so there is that.

nesbit37 posted:

Gary Con really should leave Lake Geneva but I also really don't want it to. It's getting kind of weird anyway the more popular D&D is getting, and as Luke Gygax gets sucked a little further into "hollywood" each year vis a vis celebrity D&D DMs and players.
Yeah I totally understand that; I was only at Gary Con for like four hours this year but I was definitely impressed how much it filled the (larger than what I last saw) space, considering how the first two times I went (2011 and 2014) it still felt """"intimate"""" but yeah not so much anymore.

Also, I have certainly never heard anything to this effect, but I wonder if the Original Gygax Children are annoyed that the half-sibling usurper is the one everyone knows? Probably not, as he seems like a pretty cool dude all-around and it is not like Ernie or Heidi seem desperate for fame

Hoping for Dave Arneson's daughter Malia to challenge Luke Gygax to a team-captain D&D tournament soon, despite having no idea if Malia actually plays and only knowing she exists due to watching Secrets of Blackmoor

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Dr. Quarex posted:

Also, I have certainly never heard anything to this effect, but I wonder if the Original Gygax Children are annoyed that the half-sibling usurper is the one everyone knows? Probably not, as he seems like a pretty cool dude all-around and it is not like Ernie or Heidi seem desperate for fame

Hoping for Dave Arneson's daughter Malia to challenge Luke Gygax to a team-captain D&D tournament soon, despite having no idea if Malia actually plays and only knowing she exists due to watching Secrets of Blackmoor

The Gygax sisters are happy to do things at Gary Con but its mostly just a party for them. I try to play in the game Heidi and Elise usually do each year. Oddly there isn't a lot of ticket competition for that one though there is for Luke and Ernie's games (not really a surprise considering how many of the attendees are).

Malia wants nothing to do with D&D. She did an interview for the Great Kingdom D&D documentary that tied up the D&D Documentary in court, but that was because they paid her for the interview. This was sad, but nor surprising to hear, and also bad because people tend to say what you want them to when you are paying them to talk for you.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

MinisterSinister posted:

Three hours north or south?

South. Slightly less harsh winters but murderous summers.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Dates to note:

*January 26th badges go on sale
*February 7th date by which you need to have a purchased badge in order to access the randomized housing queue.

quote:

Any customers who purchase badges after the randomized housing access times have been issued will be placed at the end of the initial queue.
*February 9th opening day for housing requests

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

If you do decide to loiter around the campus and Kenosha in general, let me know. I can show you around.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Gencon Hype! Will this be the year I finally getremember to do the Battletech pods? Will I survive Shots Wednesday? Is this the year I leave my tickets at home, and get Turbo Hosed? Who knows!

Admiral Joeslop posted:

+SHOTS WEDNESDAY

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

OB_Juan posted:

Gencon Hype! Will this be the year I finally getremember to do the Battletech pods? Will I survive Shots Wednesday? Is this the year I leave my tickets at home, and get Turbo Hosed? Who knows!

Probably not. I always say I'm going to try the pods, and then I'm bummed out by how outdated they are.

Starship simulators are where it's at now. (And there are like half a dozen different ones; don't pay a bunch of money for Artemis; do Empty Epsilon or Greenemyst or whatever the gently caress they're all called now.)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Are the current simulators getting any better? It's been 4 years or so since I played Artemis at home or a con. Things at the time felt like they were stagnating.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

nesbit37 posted:

Are the current simulators getting any better? It's been 4 years or so since I played Artemis at home or a con. Things at the time felt like they were stagnating.

Probably not, but maybe? I just think an hour or whatever of farting around in space and perhaps crashing into a planet is better than like 15 minutes in the battletech pods.

If you had like a VR bee simulator, you'd probably get everyone in the GroupMe to come play it. Just sayin'

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I'd love to try some VR stuff if they have it. The arcade a couple cons ago (Christ it's already been 1.5 years?) had a PC setup with something but some kid, probably belonging to the person taking tickets, hogged it the entire time I was in there.

Don't give money to the arcade.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The pods are incredibly overrated. Mine was calibrated so poorly that by the time I figured out how to adjust for it, I was done.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'd love to try some VR stuff if they have it. The arcade a couple cons ago (Christ it's already been 1.5 years?) had a PC setup with something but some kid, probably belonging to the person taking tickets, hogged it the entire time I was in there.

Don't give money to the arcade.

Are there VR bridge simulators or something else? Part of the space I run at this university is a VR lab for up to 12 simultaneous users, would love to use a bridge simulator or something else in there.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

nesbit37 posted:

Are there VR bridge simulators or something else? Part of the space I run at this university is a VR lab for up to 12 simultaneous users, would love to use a bridge simulator or something else in there.

As far as I've ever seen, the bridge simulators are all non-VR, but usually with touchscreen PCs, and sometimes with other immersive features, like lighting that changes colors and sound systems.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew just came out on Oculus Quest, so someone might set up an area of that (since it wouldn't need a bunch of PCs or PS4s).

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Have they released the hotel registration/lottery dates yet?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Yiggy posted:

Dates to note:

*January 26th badges go on sale
*February 7th date by which you need to have a purchased badge in order to access the randomized housing queue.

quote:
Any customers who purchase badges after the randomized housing access times have been issued will be placed at the end of the initial queue.

*February 9th opening day for housing requests

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

My bad! shoulda checked the thread. I didn't see them on the website, but that's typical for gencon.com

Also that was like a month ago

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I am sure at least one person reading this thread:

a. needs a job
b. does accounting
c. wants to work for Gen Con

https://www.gencon.com/join/jobpost-accountant-2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lgQep1mnbs&t=5s
:siren: EVENT SUBMISSION TIME :siren:

I am honestly not sure I have ever noticed when event registration begins in previous years, even for all the times I have vaguely contemplated running or presenting something. WELL IT JUST STARTED ON SUNDAY, SO THERE YOU GO.

Maigius posted:

If you do decide to loiter around the campus and Kenosha in general, let me know. I can show you around.
I am glad I did not spontaneously decide to drive over to Kenosha the other day. And yeah, I only need to go to UW-Parkside, Gateway Technical College(!), and the former George Williams College to have visited all the locations; that is pretty Kenosha-heavy.

CellBlock posted:

Probably not. I always say I'm going to try the pods, and then I'm bummed out by how outdated they are.
I know this is probably not true, but at this point my mind is telling me the Battletech pods have been there every year I have attended, and now that I see they are from the early 1990s that actually seems plausible. Those things sure do keep keeping on.

nesbit37 posted:

I am sure at least one person reading this thread:

a. needs a job
b. does accounting
c. wants to work for Gen Con

https://www.gencon.com/join/jobpost-accountant-2020
Forwarded this to my accountant ex-; if she gets the job that will almost sort of count for my dreams as I was definitely dating her when I first started hoping to work for Gen-Con someday! Before realizing they literally never posted jobs* and even if they did they would not need a social scientist!

I wonder if I will find a job by the time of the convention :) :) :) :) :) :) temp agencies HATE him!

*They have, in fact, started posting jobs as of 2019, yes. Still makes me wonder what hiring system they were using back when I lived in Seattle and was occasionally contacting them to ask if they had any openings and never getting a response.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LhxG51dFew

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Eastmabl posted:

Is it too early to freak out about the housing lottery?

I'm still feeling it.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Eastmabl posted:

Is it too early to freak out about the housing lottery?

The housing lottery will be fine!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Hotel registration for us exhibitors starts on Wednesday. Time to get pumped!

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Time to get pumped?

My dear Nesbit37...

I think you mean

we are pumped *cocks shotgun*
...to get time

*simultaneously destroys temporality and goes to jail with mega-blast*

Also come now, we have already been excited for months. I think. Did I already posit in this thread my precise annual Gen-Con Hype Flow? I think the only time I am not actively excited on some level is from about three days after the previous convention ends for about three weeks until I remember to book my hotel for the next year. And fortunately, since my birthday is usually in that timeframe, I still have some reason to keep going!!!

Edit: also what the heck I just saw the Twitter/Facebook/whatever? buttons for the first time while making this post, and they are not there when editing, what is going on

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

Badges tomorrow!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Badge registration opened about 10 minutes ago.

Losem
Jun 17, 2003
Slightly Angry Sheep
My nephew said he wanted to go all 4 days. He's 10 and I don't think he really understands what he got himself into.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

Ask him if he also wants all this ice cream (reveal 3 gallon bucket) and all this pizza (reveal 30" pizza) for breakfast.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
He'll be fine. I've been attending gen con all 4 days since I was 12.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Similarly, I have been eating 3 gallons of ice cream and a 30" pizza for breakfast since I was 12, and I can almost still stand. Ain't no thang

Did everyone remember to buy their badges before they sell out in only six more months?! Well everyone who is not a volunteering sucker like me. "Why do you want to have less free time at your favorite event of the year?" "I STILL DO NOT FULLY KNOW WHY I DO THE THINGS I DO O.K."

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I've had a similar dilemma since I started exhibiting. I like exhibiting, but wish I had more energy in the evenings to do more Gen Con things. Last year was better than the year before. Hopefully this year is even better energy wise.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

I bought my badge because I somehow haven't yet learned that the housing lottery loving hates me.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hay guyz

A chance encounter with a shopping bag from Gen-Con 2002 I just noticed I still had led me to discovering this pre-GenCon.com Gen-Con webpage! I mean, granted, I think the page itself still existed on the Wizards site until somewhat recently, but I had no idea it had a web presence by at least 1999.

... HOLY INTERNET THE RADIO AD LINKS WORK? oh I cannot get any audio out of them but...I have the file? What

Haahaha VIRTUAL TOUR OF THE EXHIBIT HALL wait is this 1999's hall or did this page go up after the 2000 show? I AM SO CONFUSED

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Hay guyz

A chance encounter with a shopping bag from Gen-Con 2002 I just noticed I still had led me to discovering this pre-GenCon.com Gen-Con webpage! I mean, granted, I think the page itself still existed on the Wizards site until somewhat recently, but I had no idea it had a web presence by at least 1999.

... HOLY INTERNET THE RADIO AD LINKS WORK? oh I cannot get any audio out of them but...I have the file? What

Haahaha VIRTUAL TOUR OF THE EXHIBIT HALL wait is this 1999's hall or did this page go up after the 2000 show? I AM SO CONFUSED

You're gonna want to find something that can play RealMedia for those badboy radio ads. There are a lot of video game booths too; THQ, Activision, Sierra On-line, whatever QuikLink is.

Anthony Daniels got his own spot!

I have got to know what WotC was selling in 2000 that was WCW branded.

Edit: It was a trading card game.

Edit edit:

My, how they've grown.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Jan 29, 2020

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Now that Admiral Joeslop and I have just spent a week playing with that archived page,

OH NO I AM NOT DONE YET because I just noticed their picture example for the Art Show is literally a picture of Origins' Art Show. The advanced technology to take a picture of art in Indiana was years off

Also I want "Berlyn's Old Friend" to be a code phrase for this thread somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Dr. Quarex posted:

Now that Admiral Joeslop and I have just spent a week playing with that archived page,

OH NO I AM NOT DONE YET because I just noticed their picture example for the Art Show is literally a picture of Origins' Art Show. The advanced technology to take a picture of art in Indiana was years off

Also I want "Berlyn's Old Friend" to be a code phrase for this thread somehow

Do you dare call yourself Berlyn?