Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
You run up the wheel and out of harms way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Never run, this just tells the wheel you are scared and makes it aggressive.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

AtraMorS posted:

Nah, that's exactly who he is. He's a bit of an idiot that just gets a spur up his rear end sometimes about doing the right thing and drat the consequences, and the much more competent people around him keep him from dying. He's the one that named the boat after Don Quixote's horse after all.

e: he's not a bad guy or character or anything. He's good at holding the Roci's crew together because they know he'll take risks for them too, but yeah, he's very much a right-place/time kind of person.

Yeah this is what I’m getting from rewatching the show. I’m on season 4 now and it really is Holden is just the Han Solo (I have a bad feeling about this) of the Expanse and put all his attribute points into Luck.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
Holden is a blank slate. You, a shirtless model, are meant to empathise with him.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
I finally finished season 5 so I can now look in this thread and I've been dying to post that in my head this is the theme song for The Rocinante and should be played when its flying around:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1gqZRHLnVU

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
I'm reading the books right now.

All the characters, as cast, fit super well (despite anatomical goofery) except Soren, Avasarala's assistant.

I can't stop imagining this loving dude being berated by her:

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I got used to Steven Strait acting to the point it doenst really bothers me anymore as it did on the beginning but when I look at him for too long is always very visible the effort he has make to simulate any meaningful human expression on that gorgeous face of him

It was specially terrible during that "very angry about the protomolecule" phase of Holden

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Say anything about Holden, but his face when first seing peaches in the last episode was :discourse:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Azhais posted:

I wonder which one runs the Twitter, Daniel or Ty

It's Ty. Daniel has his own and doesn't post much.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think Holdens actor is serviceable but he's not Main Character Material. He needs to be a bit more naturally charismatic/interesting to make it all work

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

What's the best way to run away from a wheel though?

Serpentine! Serpentine!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Look I'm going to be realistic and say that sitting here in my chair and say "well you run perpendicular to the wheel." But if I'm outside and a giant wheel alien spaceship is rolling at me, I'm likely to panic and run in several directions at once.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Zzulu posted:

I think Holdens actor is serviceable but he's not Main Character Material. He needs to be a bit more naturally charismatic/interesting to make it all work

How dare you say that about the lead actor of 10,000 BC!

e: seriously though I'm not sure I buy the criticisms. Holden is a guy who is the hero because he doesn't really understand how to be anything else. He just does the right thing in the moment and is reasonably skilled, and gets by through a mixture of luck and sheer determination and the abilities of his crew. I think Strait does a perfectly decent job of doing that role. He's the party Paladin - really boring in and of himself, but his presence and drive is the explanation for why the disparate group of interesting people around him are on this quest to save the world.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 25, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zzulu posted:

Yeah if he wanst the main hero I guess it wounld bother me much

That and the fact the show cast is actually packed with good actors makes his weakness too glaring

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Alchenar posted:

How dare you say that about the lead actor of 10,000 BC!

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thinks about this...

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Open Source Idiom posted:

What's the best way to run away from a wheel though?

You don't, the wheel seeks out the easiest prey

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR4o9WuCB1s

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Dalael posted:

Say anything about Holden, but his face when first seing peaches in the last episode was :discourse:

Bemused confusion is the one expression he does well

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
I really like Holden and have never had an issue with Steven Strait’s acting :shrug:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I feel like Holden, the character, is a deliberate choice as an audience surrogate in an unfamiliar world. He's a young, white, underemployed guy from Earth with roughly modern sensibilities and a good straight man for Martians and Belters to bounce off of. As the audience becomes more familiar with the world and the more interesting characters he naturally starts to drag.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

stratdax posted:

Get a new criticism! Don't just latch on to whatever negative crap gets popular to say despite being nonsensical. Actually engage with a movie on your own, not by some meme crap.

The conversation was literally about camera friendly helmets, so the use or not-use of Prometheus' extremely camera friendly helmets seems totally reasonable.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Holden is your Leonardo, your Cyclopse, your boring leader character who exists for the characters people like to bounce off.

Amos is wolverine, Naomi Beast and Alex is, I dunno, which Xmen is a deadbeat dad?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

NightGyr posted:

This is a great breakdown but the constant gushing about how much he loves the show gets so grating on me, it feels like he spends a third of the runtime on just talking about how great it is without even saying anything of substance.

He likes the show, he's excited by it, I like his stuff a lot, he's just so "YAAAAAAAAY!" about things.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

I really like Holden and have never had an issue with Steven Strait’s acting :shrug:

Ditto. I wonder if a contributing factor is people's experience with Midwestern Americans. Holden is very much in that subdued emotion tradition.

In a genre that so often seems full of quippy, "curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal" types, there's something refreshing about how Holden always looks a little disappointed and depressed when somebody screws him or other people over. In that "your mother and I are very unhappy" kind of way that somehow manages to always turn into the implacable agent of justice is coming for you.

A refreshing thing about last season is that he never really got much of a chance to be righteous because he's both constantly reacting after being wrong-footed, and he's always at the margins of whatever's going on instead of the center of the action. And then he manages to win his one big fight and rescue Naomi not because of specific decisions he's made himself, but because of how other people feel about him. No wonder Amos switched to him as a moral center.

Strait also does a fantastic job getting across how bemused Holden is constantly. He's just some guy who wanted to get lost in the expanse, who suddenly got roped into an executive officer position and then everything after that just kind of happened. Where you can believe Marco studied "Being Alexander the Great for Dummies" religiously, Holden is out of his depth most of the time and just keeps trying to make good choices despite that. It may not be a complex performance, but it's a very carefully calibrated one.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I feel like Holden, the character, is a deliberate choice as an audience surrogate in an unfamiliar world. He's a young, white, underemployed guy from Earth with roughly modern sensibilities and a good straight man for Martians and Belters to bounce off of. As the audience becomes more familiar with the world and the more interesting characters he naturally starts to drag.

This is also the problem, because like the audience he's trying to represent he's a passive blank with no coherent ideology and no capacity to confront injustices beyond what's right in front of him. It's why he gets dunked on repeatedly by characters all across the ideological spectrum that actually think things through and plan their actions accordingly. The only reason he's alive is his status as a luck elemental and his crew's frankly inexplicable willingness to follow him as he blunders through life.

The actor portrays this perfectly IMO, I just don't like the character being portrayed.

Corbeau fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Feb 26, 2021

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Quote isn't edit

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 26, 2021

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The best acting Steven Strait has done so far, imo, is the whole mad prophet thing where only he can see Miller in season 3 and 4. Him going from thinking he's losing his mind to just being completely done with the ghost in his head that won't shut up was really well portrayed, I thought. I do think that the show folks could have cast him better, though, as when I read the books now the show's cast is mostly who I see except for Holden.

Still, apart from his batman impression in the back half of season two I haven't really disliked his acting, mostly I just feel pretty 'eh' about it. It's tough to be the straight man that all of the actually interesting characters orbit around.

Not really spoilers but tagged for very minor future book chat I can really see Steven nailing Holden's stuff in book 8, but that may or may not ever happen so

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I miss Miller.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CainsDescendant posted:

Still, apart from his batman impression in the back half of season two I haven't really disliked his acting, mostly I just feel pretty 'eh' about it. It's tough to be the straight man

aayyyyy

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

gently caress

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

WrightOfWay posted:

I miss Miller.

If the plot armor wasn’t so thick in this show then Miller dying is perfectly fine, but since the rest of the main characters are so protected then he should have lived and been the one seeing Julie telling him what to do in seasons 3 & 4 instead of Holden. But that’s just my opinion.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Bunch of blade boys humping shank? What does that even mean?

quote:

If the plot armor wasn’t so thick in this show then Miller dying is perfectly fine, but since the rest of the main characters are so protected then he should have lived and been the one seeing Julie telling him what to do in seasons 3 & 4 instead of Holden. But that’s just my opinion.

It seemed like a good place for him to go out IMO. He had no home anymore, and it's not like he would have been particularly useful on the Roci. What could he do? Fly? No. Fix stuff? Hell no. Definitely not weapon operation of anything with battle tactics. And he's not very good with a gun, either. He's just a cop and not good for much else.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Feb 26, 2021

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006
Only really bad Holden moment for me was when he went Captain Ahab on the protomolecule hybrid on Ganyemede, and was forcing Alex to risk the ship pushing them into a maze of debris. Felt very, very forced. Otherwise Holden's been great. S4 Holden ruled, he didn't have much to do this season, but what little he had was solid.

twistedmentat posted:

A lot of scientific expeditions got lost, died, ended up in the wrong place and general misadventure made up of capable and smart people.

Though on the other hand, I think a bunch of people who are taking Ancient Aliens seriously enough to travel with some rich guy to a planet with who knows what is there may not be the best.

If we're talking the great age of exploration, I'm not sure about the first statement there. I'm a fan of the Shackleton story, but the guy was a straight up nuts adventurer. Most of the guys that died were straight up nuts adventurers or gold searchers. Not sure how many actual professional scientist expeditions have gotten lost and wiped out.

The real problem with Prometheus (apart from it being absolutely dumb as well pointed out), is that it unnecessarily did completely weirdo stuff with the well established Alien life cycle. You had queen, egg, facehugger, zenomorph. Simple stuff. The only open question maybe was how queens happen. Then in Prometheus we have:

I mean, what the gently caress?

I miss Miller too. But he punched out like a boss. Twice. RIP Josephus Miller.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

gfarrell80 posted:

Only really bad Holden moment for me was when he went Captain Ahab on the protomolecule hybrid on Ganyemede, and was forcing Alex to risk the ship pushing them into a maze of debris. Felt very, very forced. Otherwise Holden's been great. S4 Holden ruled, he didn't have much to do this season, but what little he had was solid.

If we're talking the great age of exploration, I'm not sure about the first statement there. I'm a fan of the Shackleton story, but the guy was a straight up nuts adventurer. Most of the guys that died were straight up nuts adventurers or gold searchers. Not sure how many actual professional scientist expeditions have gotten lost and wiped out.

The real problem with Prometheus (apart from it being absolutely dumb as well pointed out), is that it unnecessarily did completely weirdo stuff with the well established Alien life cycle. You had queen, egg, facehugger, zenomorph. Simple stuff. The only open question maybe was how queens happen. Then in Prometheus we have:

I mean, what the gently caress?

I miss Miller too. But he punched out like a boss. Twice. RIP Josephus Miller.

I spent so long just staring at this stupid flow chart.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
For me, peak Holden-cringe is his "this is the warship Rocinante" speech in season 2. Smallest military craft in the AO makes clumsy threats, and somehow it works.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Toast Museum posted:

For me, peak Holden-cringe is his "this is the warship Rocinante" speech in season 2. Smallest military craft in the AO makes clumsy threats, and somehow it works.

That one really worked for me, actually. The nature of space combat being tin cans with glocks taped to them means even a little ship can cause a hell of a lot of damage if the people flying it have no sense of self preservation. The political pressure on the warships in orbit to be ready to shoot each other to bits despite them being roughly evenly matched makes even a clumsy threat from a lone rogue gunship worth taking seriously.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Only negative thing I can think to say about Holden is he wears his tshirts way too big.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What was the poo poo that hit the defending ships at the ring gate? Was that natural, or stealth asteroid poo poo that Inaros did?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Micro meteorites covered in stealth coating. Basically, the stuff in the first episode.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

So he 5'd chessed poo poo like weeks in advance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know who Bill McConkey is but he doesn't seem to have ever actually watched Prometheus(nor the sequel), which is a common trend with people who develop a pathological hate of Prometheus