Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

What's a war hero got to do to get some lubrication around here?

vessbot posted:

She totally saw it and knew it was him, he chose that fake name because it was a previous in-joke and they had no way to communicate

Oh then she was upset seeing it on her makeshift scope because she knew Alex was on her way to get blown up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Dr. E/N, PhD

vessbot posted:

She totally saw it and knew it was him, he chose that fake name because it was a previous in-joke and they had no way to communicate

Yeah she sees the name and goes "oh Alex you idiot"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

I was debating if i wanted to watch season 4, because it is the worst season so far, but the worst season of The Expanse is better than a lot of other stuff.

Though I really wish they had no cast Burn Gorman in this, he's one of the most hateable actors ever, like i'm sure he's a really nice guy IRL but he always plays the worst people and its hard to not go "gently caress that guy" every time you see him.

Hahah I forgot "Holden, try not to put our dick in it, its hosed already"

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Though I really wish they had no cast Burn Gorman in this, he's one of the most hateable actors ever, like i'm sure he's a really nice guy IRL but he always plays the worst people and its hard to not go "gently caress that guy" every time you see him.

Murty throwing down and seeing the crazy amos eyes in the final episode was one of the better payoffs for the season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Burn Gorman plays a convincing good guy in the Pacific Rim movies. But yeah literally every other role he's some sneaky bastard.

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

piL posted:

Chivalric customs remained, but the chivalry that dominated the Middle ages started to die two hundred years before Don Quixote. I feel pretty comfortable describing many beliefs of the early 19th century as antiquated, even if some have extant components still alive today.

How can you say chivalric customs started to die two hundred years before Don Quixote? (that would be 1405!). In WW1 (and WW2) fighter pilots considered themselves to be 'knights of the sky'. Generals were exchanging swords when they surrendered as late as WW2 (as well as in the American Revolution and Civil War).

twistedmentat posted:

I was debating if i wanted to watch season 4, because it is the worst season so far

I kinda liked season 4. But I was a fan of Murtry, Lucia and Dr. Okoye. They were some pretty solid supporting characters, as good as Prax.

twistedmentat posted:

Seriously, the most logical and satisfying end for Marco is Dummer just shooting him in the head while everyone debates about what to do with him.

I'm holding out for a Marco redemption arc. Ashford had a redemption, Peaches had a redemption. We can do it for Marco too baby.

Vim Fuego posted:

Ad Astra was an allegory for a psychological journey, nothing the characters do is meant to be taken literally

egh, maybe, but there are also underlying disturbing assumptions in the movie. Compare/contrast 'Ad Astra' with 'The Wandering Earth', as sci-fi epics. Both are schlock, IMHO. But in one, you have individuals (and states) working together to try to save humanity. There is some kind of fantastical common goal, and Earth is united. In Ad Astra, you have a hero character who is so awesome in his ability to turn inward and control his heart rate under stress; the future of humans in space is a weird corporate/government venture still with the old divided states of Earth and new space pirates, but it all exists to provide a backdrop for our hero individualist to go on an adventure to visit his crazy old dad? In the process of which he murders a few people? Let's just say I had trouble with it.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

etalian posted:

Murty throwing down and seeing the crazy amos eyes in the final episode was one of the better payoffs for the season.

yea I like when Amos is all "why not now?" when Murty says "we're going to end up bloody some day". Okoye is pretty great, anyone who calls Holden on his poo poo is great. The way Lucia was when she and Amos were bangin', he's got a huge hog doesn't he?

And I forgot that Marco appears much earlier in the season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Burn Gorman plays a convincing good guy in the Pacific Rim movies. But yeah literally every other role he's some sneaky bastard.

so many people itt who've never seen Andrew Davies' Bleak House smh

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)

Taco Defender

gfarrell80 posted:

How can you say chivalric customs started to die two hundred years before Don Quixote? (that would be 1405!). In WW1 (and WW2) fighter pilots considered themselves to be 'knights of the sky'. Generals were exchanging swords when they surrendered as late as WW2 (as well as in the American Revolution and Civil War).

There are plenty of military and police and fitness organizations that compare themselves to the Spartans, but though the Greeks have had a huge amount of influence on the West, I wouldn't exactly consider the Hellenic tradition extant in its original form.

Chivalric ideals came and went and revived and were relost numerous times, but the pieces that resurfaced were not unadulterated. Those WW2 pilots and generals may have latched on to elements taken from stories that galvanized them as youths, but its not the same thing.

To put it another way, God seemed to no longer smile on the knight after English commoners slaughtered French nobility, the Pope crusaded against Christians, sellswords fought sellswords for Christian thrones, and feudalism made way for protonationalism. By Cervantes's time I suspect it was clear that piety was good, but blood and steel and yew were how God made decisions and that those were secured with coin better than with virtue. It just wasn't the same as it was after you could ransom gullible bloodthirsty French chevalier into sacking Christian cities and certainly something significant changed by, the time that knighthood was issued by the state and no longer the knight errant.

This is all an equivocation of chivalry across generations, which is really the point. How a 12th century knight and a 19th century general would use the word would be different. At least some thinkers by Cervantes time would have recognized the character of Don Quixote as representing a mind at odds with the then contemporary realities of Europe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mu Zeta posted:

He's a extremely delightful put upon scientist in sunny.