Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Inst Murtry the "legend of gin aley"?

I have to say it was my least favorite season so far. Not bad but not so exiting and the writing was subpar compared to the previous seasons. The dialogue was sometimes pretty bad and some characters seems to have become caricatures of themselves (Avassarala specially)

Im still on board for S5 though

I liked the Mars parts a lot, it was my favorite plot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I dunno, I watched 2 episodes of firefly (because is so praised here in SA) and I though it was total garbage

BSG is both good and bad

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Norton the First posted:

BSG has the GoT problem where it was good, then it wasn't, then it was so terrible that you end up regretting ever getting invested in the first place.

GoT got a lot more terrible, though

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Norton the First posted:

I don't think you remember pretty much everything that came after "All Along the Watchtower" started playing.

(Hey, remember that? A song with apparently no author that just echoes down through the epochs?)

Yeah the plot just stops making sense at some point. But still never as bad as the worst parts of got, like dorme

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Dec 27, 2019

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
BSG is fun and good, is a great space action/drama with great characters and memorable scenes and good ideas

The overarching plot however is disapponting and full of holes and is pretty obvious that they were making it up as they went along and got lost in the way

Still a good show, I dont regret watching it at all

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Horizon Burning posted:

"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."

lol

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I liked Bobbie parts cause it shows some Mars, which I was curious to see from the beggining and was barely covered so far

Chrisjen however were really boring and bad, for the most part, even though I love the actress and the character

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

StashAugustine posted:

I think she was kind of overacting in the middle chunk of the season but managed to rein it in by the end

I felt that too, but I think it was mostly bad writing, with all those loving fucks at every sentence

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

I am absolutely loving blown away by how many goons are hiveminding about how this season was "boring". Did we watch the same season???

Edit: getting ahead of the pedants, "parts of the season were boring", fine. Still bonkers, all of it was tense and interesting. But it wasn't screaming at aliens and space battles and big pretty explosions so I suppose I understand how some people might grunt and slap their high chair tray and say it sucks.

Hey maybe is not hivemind but just lots of people felt the same about it? Is not that uncommon. I know i didint get my opinion here

And nope, is not about lack of explosions, not for me. I watch plenty of stuff with no explosions at all! It was just kinda bland and the writing was definitely uninspired. Still OK, though. But not my favorite season

Its ok if you think otherwise too, no need to come here accusing people of being hiveminded idiots whatever

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
For me is not that it was boring, but it was kinda bland, and the writing was weak.

Christjen plot could have been very good, I always loved the political and scheming parts. But it just wanst: it was all silly, predictable, and her lines were terrible. For me it seems like some marketing guy found out that the internet liked her cursing and smartass retorts and decided to tune it up to 9999, which made her a cringey caricature of what her character were

On the planet, the numerous "wow look at this thing the protomolecule tech is doing! its breaking all the laws of physics!" moments didint worked much for me. On the first seasons I actually felt the same wonder and terror the characters felt when Eros moved, or when that ship was disassembled in air, etc. Now it was kinda "oh, it shoots lighting now. ok"

Also there was interesting little things like the bugs and the slugs that were just dropped and it was disapponting

And there was the "legend of gin alley" dude whose character could be good but that guy apparently cant do anything but childish cartoon vilains and it was bad

And finally, Steven Strait acting seems to have gotten worse, which is quite a feat

Apart from that, I liked the Mars plot, and the belters plot. It wanst bad, just kinda average

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah I think the expanse is actually exceptionaly good on the diversity factor

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is harder than most TV sci fi just for dealing with gravity

But the PM is pretty much magic, it does whatever the plot needs

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
They arent completely wrong are they? The belter refugees are dying in space after losing their home to earthers experiments and wont be allowed to the ring

And then the few who got through were almost immediately being oppressed and robbed by the UN expedition

Personally I felt Marco had some good points

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

davidspackage posted:

I'm from Eros and I say kill 'em all!

I hear you beltalowda

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
He always seemed like a cool guy to me but I don't follow much behind the scenes stuff

It's a shame, I've really liked the character, it was my favorite

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Mu Zeta posted:

I can't remember anything about season 4

For me the highlights of the show are always episodes 1x4, 1x8, and then all of seasons 2 and 3 are a blur of awesome building tension. Season 4 just seems to drone on. Maybe it's because I binged it.

Same

Just that some belters get on this planet and the legend of Gin Alley is there being a total psycho dick (again) and causes a lot problems and our heroes arrive and activate some alien tech by accident again and some tornados start moving and so they hide in alien building and theres some alien slugs making people blind but they take cancer remedy and everyone gets fine again

edit: also they changed Avasarala husband and the new one is kinda bad

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

davidspackage posted:

Amos is undeniably great, but I think I still like Bobbie best. I need her back on the Roci next season.

I love her too

She is a pilot too, right? I hope she replaces Alex

edit: vvv yeah I just remembered that right after I posted

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 7, 2020

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Finished the new season yesterday, liked it a lot. Better than last season by a mile

I liked that it went back to internal politics and all, away from spectacular alien stuff for a bit. I like the crazy alien stuff, but when is one crazy alien thing happening after the other, it starts lose effect, and S4 was a bit too full of it

Alex was written out because of that whole mess the actor got involved into right? His death come out of nowhere, it was very weirtd

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Data Graham posted:

Sounds to me like S5 works real well as a binge, not so much as a weekly drop.

Yeah thats what I did and I enjoyed it a lot

I cant stand watching things weekly anymore, I just wait for it to finish and watch in my own rythm (usually 2 or 3 episodes per day)

Chalks posted:

Yeah, it was clunky as hell but at least it's done with

Its a shame. It was my favorite character. Why the actor had to be an rear end in a top hat

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Inferior Third Season posted:

If I didn't know about the accusations, I would have just assumed the actor got greedy in contract negotiations or just decided not to come back, and the producers decided to give him an unceremonious death in retaliation. Major characters dying in season finales is not unusual.

Yeah, but when is something planned, the character gets a dramatic death, a meaningful ending, stuff like that

Alex dies out of nowhere, literally without reason and than gets one or two "oh so sad he died" and that was it. He was one of the protagonists

edit: LOST killed a lot of characters for out of screen reasons and I dont remember any of them being so ridiculous as Alex death was

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Feb 10, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Alright, is been a while (like more than 15 years) since I watched Lost, so I might be misremembering things

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zzulu posted:

This is absolutely ridiculous, honestly. I'm not even a big fan of the character but people going "nah it was good, actually" just grates on me.

The absolutely awful ADR like his line "that was a helluva ride" happening offscreen or Avasaralas dubbed in lines to Bobbi etc. The character dying in a freeze screen with CGI blood. The entire crew, which was supposed to be like a family, dismissing him like some rando

It was awful and very very obviously a rushjob

Yeah even if the point was "people die in space all the time its supposed to be banal" or whatever like some people are saying still the reaction of the roci "family" is almost complete indifference

I liked the season, a lot even. But that was bad

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
It does sounds like when GRRM set the Wall to be 700 m high or something and only after realized how absurd that is. Except they want to pretend it was intentional

But to be honest while watching I had no problem with "20 megatons" since I have no idea how much that is and it does sounds like a lot

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Oasx posted:

I haven't been paying close attention, but I never got the impression that this was a world ending disaster, or even close.
My impression was that it was really bad for the people in the impact zone, and that others close by are suffering because earth doesn't have the capability to help millions of people over night.

Never read the books, but the show gave me that same impression

Direct impact was bad but the tsunamis caused by them and the disruption of power and infrastructure were a lot worst, and earth already could barely support its people before the disaster

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think stealth tech is able to hide a burning drive. I have a feeling that someone would have scopes pointing out into space and would notice that someone has their drive going full blast but aren't really moving.

But did it had a burning drive, though? I was under the impression they just shot or pushed the the rocks somehow

Perhaps a titanic space slingshot

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I'm rewatching the first seasons and realized there's 2 important things I never understood:

1- why did the protogen guys boarded the Donnager?

2- who started the shooting over ganymede and why? I just can't parse that scene: 1) Bobbie tells in the radio they might be getting charged 2) loses radio 3) ship captain get angry and yells something about needing visual of ground 4) everyone starts shooting

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Thanks for all the answers.

I thought they had obvious answers that I missed since I watch smoking pot, but looks like they were kinda difficult questions after all

edit:

gfarrell80 posted:

#2 I don't think there's really a plausible explanation given. Protogen was definitely working with Mars, so Protogen released the hybrid on the ground. In orbit, I think we have to assume Protogen had a hand in starting the shooting, although the exact mechanism for it is unknown.

They had a whole enquiry scene on Earth, I can't remember if they brought up who started shooting first in orbit. You'd think they might have brought that up during the inquiry/negotiations settlement.

I just watched that. They only talk about the shooting on the ground

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 17, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

"Why did they kill the Donnager?" is easy. They wanted to muddy the waters between Earth and Mars. The Skorpuli was probably a trap for the Donnager that the Canterbury stumbled into.

"Why board the Donnager?" is a harder question as they didn't particularly need anything on board so long as it died. The best way I can make it work in my head is that killing the pride of the Martian Navy is hard, even with cutting edge stealth ships. Perhaps they managed to disable the ship but lacked the torpedos or functional railguns to finish the job kinetically, necessitating the assault.

Yeah, that. Boarding is what makes no sense in my head.

It might be what CLAM DOWN said but it was never explained in the show (I dont know about the books)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Solenna posted:

Having finally finished season 5 over a couple weeks my big takeaways are that was a great season though I can see why the Naomi stuff could have dragged watching weekly and I would like some detailed instructions on how to do belter hairstyles.

The fact Marco always has his hair long and down combined with being a heavier build than most belters and no visible tattoos did a really good job of making him come across as distant from the other belters no matter much he talked about unity.

Even binging it dragged a bit, to be honest. The trap ship part, I mean. The rest was fine

It was the worst part of the season for me along with Alex death

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

RC Cola posted:

So I'm at season 3 where Some guy slingshot his way into the ring and died.
Does Holden get better as a character? I don't hate him, I like everyone in the show. It just seems that based on reactions of everyone in the show I'm supposed to think Holden is awesome and I just don't. He feels very perfect/lucky/right place at the right time. Am I way off base?

Nope. He is an annoying character on a bad actor. Just accept it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I got used to Steven Strait acting to the point it doenst really bothers me anymore as it did on the beginning but when I look at him for too long is always very visible the effort he has make to simulate any meaningful human expression on that gorgeous face of him

It was specially terrible during that "very angry about the protomolecule" phase of Holden

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Zzulu posted:

I think Holdens actor is serviceable but he's not Main Character Material. He needs to be a bit more naturally charismatic/interesting to make it all work

Yeah if he wanst the main hero I guess it wounld bother me much

That and the fact the show cast is actually packed with good actors makes his weakness too glaring

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Donno if book info is allowed here, but they don't know why they're being boarded.

After being boarded, they get transferred over to the Anubis. The attackers get fresh with Julie, who's been spending a fair bit of time learning space-karate. She kicks the poo poo out of the attackers (with a cold intensity that partially makes Miller fall for her) and ultimately, she gets cold-clocked by someone out of her vision. The commander says something along the lines of "If this bitch makes another sound, shoot her" and they throw her into a storage locker.

I don't think it had much to do with her being a Mao.

In the show they say something like "kill everyone but her. that girl is complicated... " (implying is because of who her dad is)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah thats on S01E09, during her flashback

edit: its actually "Hands off that one. She's a complication. Put her in here until I figure out what to do with her."

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Next season is that last one then? Sad!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I found S4 much better the second time I watched it

Even Murphy, who I found just annoying the first time, I kinda liked in the second watch. I guess the first time I still hated him for that "legend of gin alley" bullshit on GoT

My biggest gripe with S4 is what they did to Avassarala: is like their marketing team realized fans loved her cursing and owning people and made her say "gently caress" in literaly every phrase and be stupidly rude all the time. She became a charicature of herself

Fortunately they toned it down again on S5

edit: vvv that I dont know but the way she talked in S4 just felt artificial, I think

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Mar 8, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is also very believable that people would follow him

He might be a jerk (to some) but he does have some very good points and I can see how belters would be mostly very frustrated by their situation post-ring

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

twistedmentat posted:

Raised By Wolves has such a convoluted mythology going on. Aliens speeding humanity with a religion that let's them build robots that can birth snakes? Wtf?

Thats why I liked it: weird mythology with aliens, weird dreamlike atmosphere, and a lot of beautiful weird drama going on (cried a few times). Im probably alone on this, but it was one of my favorite recent sci-fi shows

Im going to try Foundantion too, since I never read the book Im not worried that it seems to have little to do with it

AtraMorS posted:

Also like Twin Peaks, I don't expect Raised By Wolves to ever make any kind of coherent sense, and I'm okay with that.

Same

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 18, 2021

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
edit: nevermind, I misread

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Jows posted:

I wonder if anyone is even going to read the remaining ASOIAF books if GRRM ever finishes them. I certainly won't give two shits. Totally blown potential.

Some will of course

But yeah, the sales will be a fraction of what they would if the fucker had released them before the awful TV show finale

edit: me personally I would probably just wait for someone to made a detailed summary and read that mostly just to know how different it is from the bullshit we got on TV