Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Honestly, given the cancellation, it's a miracle that Arjun's the only character so far to be recast. I'm not a big fan of the new guy's take on the character but things could be so much worse. Although, I do have a sinking feeling that we're never gonna see Anderson Dawes again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Sammus posted:

Just started the season and finished episode 1. I really feel like they need to do more to point out just how long it takes to get anywhere. It's been a while, so I'm probably due a rewatch, but I could almost swear season 1 made a bit of habit of pointing out things like "hey it's going to take us at least 2 weeks to get to x" and all that's been dropped now.

They explicitly said it'd take months to get to the ring from Earth, and then it would take weeks from there to Ilus. There was even a montage of sorts of them checking in with people in the various parts of the system as they went through it to help show the passage of time. The show has definitely had issues displaying time but short of a title card with the current date every scene I don't know what could be done differently.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

twistedmentat posted:

The prop one is really cool. I liked how simple the coms are.

Since when could you buy literal power armor at home depot?

Someone in the comments said that it wasn't a home depot product, rather something that home depot employees use to move stuff around. No idea if that's true but it makes a certain amount of sense.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Amos' contacts and schedule :laffo:

Eat, Drink, Stomp, repeat

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Out of curiosity I checked the 1-star reviews on Prime for the Expanse and there's a weirdly high percentage of people giving it 1 star for daring to use profanity in a television program

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I don't think so? Also all season 5 speculation based on knowledge of the churn should probably be over in the spoiler thread

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

We briefly saw the Martian prime minister chatting with Avasarala at the dinner thing this season

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I am also conflicted. When I first blitzed through the series, I was getting into it after hearing about the whole cancellation kerfuffle. Pretty sure the first episode I caught on its air date instead of binging was 308 (jesus having to wait a week for that resolution for the first time was agonizing). Season 3 as a whole was a hell of a ride, and I was crazy about how breathless and constantly escalating it was. Then, I read the books while waiting for season 4 and I became a little unsure of just how quick the first trilogy got chewed through. I kind of pine for a universe where we got 20+ episode seasons like a star trek where all the detail of the books was allowed to shine through because holy moly even the "slow" episodes back in season 1 had the pedal to the metal in terms of plot progression. I feel like the relative freedom the Amazon switch has provided has given us a bit of a slower pace going forward, which I largely like. It's inherently going to feel different compared to the SyFy days though. Maybe if they try to cram book 5 plus some of book 6 into 10 episodes next season we'll get back to that same fever pitch, but I kinda hope that they don't.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

kanonvandekempen posted:

Like other posters have said, it's not about it being fair, it's more about Avarasala's part of the season being badly written. She makes some really obvious political mistakes, and her swearing feels like there's a few writers who like it far too much.

I think a big problem with Avasarala's story this season is just that she doesn't have any good characters to bounce off of. I really didn't care for the Arjun recast, Nancy Gao was pretty bad, and who cares about her campaign staff. Most of her best moments throughout the series so far have been across from Errinwright or Cotyar or Bobbie, not just monologuing at background characters or a hand terminal

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

They call Maneo dude's beratna but it's unclear if he's his literal brother or if they're just good friends

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I wouldn't be surprised if we got a single episode flashback storyline in the vein of Epstein's wild ride or the Anderson Station massacre that covers the events of the Churn next season

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I also vaguely recall either the showrunner or one of the authors saying that they played down her coarse language a bit in season one out of fear of sci fi jumping down their throats. They were then told to let her off the leash more in season two.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm pretty sure Julie said she hid it in the asteroid before taking the shuttle in 1x09

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Johnny Truant posted:

Well that's good to know since I'm rewatching it with my partner!

She has noooo idea what she's in for, we just finished the ep where Holden and Miller get hit with the radiation and she was like "okay I think they're testing the bioweapon on all those people, and the radiation is them trying to find a cure so they can hold everyone ransom with this doomsday bioweapon" and I'm sitting there like :allears:

That's awesome, I remember how excited I got when I realized that it wasn't just some bioweapon.

Also yeah I also recently found out about the separate listing for 4k and I've been rewatching some eps to take advantage of it. It's absurd how many details they stuff into every scene. I went back and looked at all of the bios on Julie's space tinder and was not disappointed

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

My favorite is the "here's steven" "Hello!" "that's enough of that"

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Honestly, to me, it makes the election arc feel even more pointless. I feel like a lot of that is because the recast Arjun just isn't great for the role, his vibe is a lot closer to slick politician than softhearted professor so his disgust with her playing politics feels really disingenuous.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Phi230 posted:

One thing the show doesn't do very well is show how hosed Mars is. Yeah like we get Bobbie's arc this season but in the books it's much clearer.

Bobbie notices when she goes back that Mars is practically empty. Like her neighborhood is almost deserted. The entire population is just leaving.

Plus you have Collapse of The Soviet Union style selling off of military goods/organized looting that is very downplayed in the show. In the show its like almost small time hustling but in the books its like apocalyptic

The show timeline is a bit different than the books at this point, by the time all the stuff on Ilus was happening in Cibola Burn there was already a bunch of other systems being colonized. I kinda doubt we'll be on Mars as much next season, but it'll probably be more of a ghost town by then.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

shirts and skins posted:

So, uh

Is this a bad time to mention that I just finished Season 3, and that it's one of the best page to screen adaptations I've seen?

...bad time huh?

Eh, turns out one dude really loving sucks but that doesn't change how excellent everything else about the rest of the show is. It remains to be seen how they handle things but currently I feel pretty optimistic that they'll do the right thing, whatever that may be.

I definitely agree with you. I feel like the back half maybe could have used another ten or fifteen minutes spread throughout to feel a little less rushed and give a bit more denouement but overall it's a hell of a season. I can't think of another series that's a better example of book to screen adaptation.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Captain Splendid posted:

I just realised that if Alex were suddenly played by Taika Waititi it wouldn't be jarring for me

I wish you hadn't suggested this because now I'm angry that it's not gonna happen

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Personally I'd be down for a bit of an animation revolution. I really love this show, but even with its huge budget a lot of it feels toned down from the books to fit in with the realities of set construction and paying extras. Sci Fi/Fantasy adaptations in general could be really cool if animated well, but American TV still seems to view animation as being fundamentally for kids or stoned college age folks. I'm not saying that season 6 should be an anime (although I'm not NOT saying that), but any fiction property with a large scale and cast like this, game of thrones, wheel of time, whatever would be really cool to see animated rather than pared down to fit with real life tv production constraints.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

We know that Ganymede has some insect life, likely some brought intentionally for the plants and some that hitched a ride. Wouldn't surprise me at all to find roaches and stuff that eats roaches on any station out there. Wonder what low-g development does to spiders, do they get all elongated too?

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'm pretty sure the only time the "milowda na animals" speech gets shown again is when Julie's watching it on a screen in her room on Eros in season 1 episode 9. If it showed up again, I missed it. Either way, I don't think Dawes is interested in random freighter crews being harassed by OPA whether a camera's pointed at him or not since it doesn't really further the cause. He wants Ceres to remain a thriving port city that trades with everyone, he just wants to take over as governor.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

MoaM posted:

What book are we on? Or are we off the rails from the source material, don't spoiler me.

We're on book five, more or less. Season four pulled in a bit of material from book five already, but otherwise we're more or less synced up at this point.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Ashford and Dummer sold out to the inners. Diogo is the realest. :colbert:

...hopefully he's still in traction. :kheldragar:

I would love to see Diogo show up again, as long as he's doing something completely stupid and infuriating.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Didn't see a body, and he was in a martian super suit, but yeah he got splatted real good. It'd be real funny to see him show up again, though. "Invincible me!"

And then he gets killed, again, but shows up the next season anyway

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Oct 12, 2020

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah, it was really disappointing to see the buzz about season 4 cut off so quickly after the cancellation kerfuffle put so many more eyes on it. You could certainly argue that season 4 was a little lackluster after how bonkers season 3 was, but I definitely felt like it was the full drop working against it. Most expanse communities I followed tried various ways to break up discussion so no one spoiled anyone else and mostly it led to no one talking about it at all other than "that was good! Can't wait for next season". It's really surprising to me how many folks are really angry they won't be able to binge s5, judging by the response on Ty's twitter, because I'm really excited to space it out again.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

They definitely experimented with a more galactica-esque camera as a physical object style at the beginning. I'm thinking specifically of a scene in the second episode where the Knight is getting bombarded with debris from the Cant and a piece of it actually hits the 'camera', sending it into a dizzying spin for a second or two.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I'd say that's more a question for the spoiler thread, but I've had similar thoughts

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I really liked the accent of that one random extra+ that ended up kinda leading the revolt on Tycho, Diogo's buddy.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

bou posted:

Have Elon Musk shoot it into the sun. I'm only half joking.

Surprisingly, strapping a bunch of nuclear waste onto a bomb and launching it into the atmosphere can occasionally have very negative effects

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Phi230 posted:

Would love a DS9 style spinoff of Prax rebuilding Ganymede

I didn't know how much I wanted this until just now and now I'm depressed that it's not a thing.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Season 4 is really a lot like the first season. It's introducing a new setting in the worlds beyond the ring gate, it revolves around a mystery that, when solved, only leads to more questions, and it involves several storylines where it's not obvious how they play into each other. I think it's Fine, but after how nuts season 3 got it definitely feels like a step back because it is. I'm pretty confident that after we get season 5 people will like it better in retrospect.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

The crazy eyes in the shower fight were particularly great

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Normy posted:

There was enough wink wink nudge nudge posting about that line to make it obvious something was happening with rocks being thrown at Earth.

I read through all of the expanse threads when I caught up with the show during season 3, because i might be a little obsessed with this show, and the one constant in all of them has been how awful the book readers have been about wink wink nudge nudge not technically spoilers. Even just blatant spoilers. Now that I've read the books I can't really weigh in on discussion much but seeing book spoilers in here is still a source of irritation to me.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Phi230 posted:

This thread is the dedicated to the brave mujahedeen fighters of The Belt

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Fister Roboto posted:

p.s. I'm still holding out hope that Mecha-Diogo will return to exact his revenge.

I was really holding out hope that we'd get to see Diogo die every season, then show up again later with progressively more unbelievable tales about how he survived. "Invincible, me!"

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Jakabite posted:

Yeah I thought Anna's part was played well. An interesting character all round, since you don't often see religion and spirituality talked about in the world of The Expanse, except to provide enormous ships to hurl at asteroids/turn into battleships/turn into space stations.

I thought it was really interesting to see the religious character arguing in favor of free will, while Protomiller was insisting that Holden was only following his programming. I feel like often, the forces of Science! are generally shown to be arguing for free will versus more deterministic ideas associated with religion. Anna was a great example of someone with faith who was also a free thinker, that quote from St. Augustine and her smacking down that one scientist with "I got here on a spaceship not the wings of an angel, I'm able to tell the difference". A good friend of mine also really didn't like her, so I've had a few arguments about her character so far. I respect those who didn't jive with her, but calling her terribly written and acted is just nonsense.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

I've been seeing this misunderstanding crop up a lot. Core dump, in this context, refers to ejecting the contents of the core. I assume that it's Star Trek's cultural inertia that makes folks think that they ejected the whole dang engine. It made sense to me in the moment, but they probably should have worked in some expository dialogue.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Yeah I'm chalking blurry-Clarissa-cam up to homegrown post-production and that they're probably stretching their budget to the limit this season. There's a lot more sets and locations in play than ever before, as far as I can tell. I was really looking forward to some kind of crazy sped up wire-fu for that scene but I can live with it.

CainsDescendant fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jan 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Mu Zeta posted:

Who cares about polypcules I want a recipe for naomi's kibble 'n bits

https://youtu.be/JRwxF5QPeGE