Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Rocksicles posted:

You need to understand the book is like that, Naomi's ex isn't even in this book, so you can imagine how flat it would without him. This is basically the a soft reboot of the story because most things have reset to zero, It'll pay off. The one character that wasn't in the show is a bit of a shame. But they would have had to recast that character and it would have sucked

and that's why it's the worst of the books. I was pretty disappointed in this season too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

hailthefish posted:

Overall season stuff because I can't remember specific episode numbers: lmao at the whole mysterious blindness thing going on like two episodes longer than it needed to if Holden had thought to mention the fuckin cancer med thing at the same time he apparently mentioned his complicated parenting situation. At least the audience get to feel like a big brained smarty pants after thinking about that every time it was mentioned that he was ~mysteriously immune~ and then having that turn out to be the reason.

Actually I found this delightful (in the books as well). Because you're sitting there rolling your eyes because YET AGAIN holden is the chosen one who will guide us all to victory, because he's buddies with the protomolecule. At that point you start to get kinda of sick of it, and then it's something completely mundane like cancer meds and it's a big lol moment. At least for me :)

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Toast Museum posted:

I was pretty surprised that the slugs made it into the show. Amazingly, there were multiple additional emergencies that didn't make the cut.

And thank gently caress for that, watching this season (especially shotgunning it) I felt like I did after Bad Boys 2. It's just one thing after the other with no relent:

I'm probably forgetting something but it's like:
-pistols drawn showdown between RCE and the entire settlement leading into
-oh no the alien doors are closing and are gonna trap holden! leading into
-oh no pushing the button is making lightning happen (in 13 strikes around the globe) and one of them coincidentally is going to hit the settlement into
-oh poo poo there's a big dig-dug horn spinning around and it coincidentally is heading right for the settlement, again, into
-oh poo poo a reactor exploded and the shockwave is going to hit the settlement! into
-the shockwave also has a tsunami that is going to flood the settlement! into
-oh god we ran out of time we have to get this flood blocking wall up right now holden look out! into
-moon lazor beems will melt everything coming from or leaving the surface into
-oh hey all the ships in orbit are falling towards the surface, time to die into
-welp everyone is also now blind, this sucks, but probably not too big a deal EXCEPT
-hey killer slugs that we now can't see and just touching them kills you

It's exhausting! Season was only 10 eps, and that's JUST some of the stuff on Ilus.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Was it just my lovely tv or did they do a bunch of airbrushing on Avasarala? It seemed really obvious and offputting to me.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Strom Cuzewon posted:

This is what marks him as an irredeemable poo poo in my eye. Any belter would realise there's no time and stop the other dude going back and also dying. Space is poo poo like that. But dont ignore the guys cry for help. I can easily imagine Ashford or Drummer apologising and saluting their soon-to-be-fallen comrade. To stand in silence and watch the guy die, thats hosed up.

They actually softened this up a bit, iirc in the books, he actually tells the guy that they're coming to help them, but doesn't do so

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

twistedmentat posted:

Yea this was pretty much :tviv: from star to finish, except for Holden getting punched by the robot, that was a solid lol.

Also LOL Marco : We are going to leave all the hatred and malice of humanity behind *casually murders millions, if not billions of innocent people*. Also its pretty drat clear he sees Inners as a lower form of life, that they are a separate species of human, which is not a good look for someone they've talked about 'not being the villain you think'.

I'd have to rewatch the ep, but doesn't he explicitly (and somewhat pointedly) say exactly that? The belters being a different 'species'.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Hmm, sort of open to interpretation: This attack was retribution for generations of atrocities commited by the Inners against innocent Belters. No longer will the belters be persecuted and subjugated to the savagery and inhumanity that the Inners have been poisoning our species with.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Azhais posted:

She just got herself out, didn't try particularly hard to get the kid

Show hasn't really touched on it but books: Filip was literally held hostage from her and hidden. She had no way to get to him and he was essentially being used to keep her 'behaving', so she figured the best thing to do was bail.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Personally I just hate how every line he delivers has that sort of breathy ... drawl? I don't know how to describe what I mean.

I think they're doing a decent job so far showing him as the guy who turns failures into 'actually I meant to do that' though.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Much like using pencils in space is bad for the electronics, applying a 7 layer smoky eye every morning is hell on the air scrubbers

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

This was great: there's always a bigger fish. Also the fact that Peaches set off her implant and didn't even use it...

Well, she tried, but collapsed due to the strain

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Actually the swivel chairs don't make a lot of sense to me. The vast, VAST, majority of thrust is going along the spine of the ship ('forward'). Any other movement is from the puffy air thingies, and I don't even think that would be a G of force based on the description above (moving the ship 360 degrees over 5 seconds). Just seems like overengineering.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

And hid the fact that she just tried to assassinate Marcos

Don't think that was intentional, she made a show of hiding it back in her sleeve after. It is not clear that he saw it.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Defiance Industries posted:

I mean, it WAS built for the Maos...

Actually it turns out I am likely wrong. If the passengers are more than 7 meters or so from the center of spin, they'll be subject to more than 1g of force at that spin rate. I dunno where the center of gravity of the ship is, but 7 meters is very small, and even just a bit further out you start getting 3+g's of force, so not too fun to drive.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

piL posted:

This distinction is integral to understanding the conceits of the setting.

I think the person meant that 'g' is acceleration, not velocity.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Crazycryodude posted:

I think the joke is velocity is the integral of acceleration

gently caress

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Honestly surprised that clarissa bit made it past QA. Like, did anyone watch it before they released it into the wild? no one said anything? The whole thing was awful, even the sudden awkwardly framed zoom in on the pupil contracting/quick-cut to Clarissa falling down.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Crazycryodude posted:

I think that was a calculated political move to try and start undermining her admiral buddy, she just can't stop herself from playing the ruthless puppetmaster. They totally could have had a five minute chat before the meeting about the united front they were going to present in the war room but instead she let him stick his neck out and be the bloodthirsty rear end in a top hat and then she scored points off slapping him down.

I don't think this makes sense from the acting in the situation at all. Dude started going all bloodthirsty and she rightfully went ???? wtf?? and pushed back on it, even though he tried to say she was a hypocrite. I don't think at all that scene had anything to do with her trying to win points off anyone.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

gfarrell80 posted:

Agreed. Amos and Peaches totally would have banged pretty shortly after Peaches started feeling better.

Going to spoiler because I'm not sure if it came up in the show previous to this (I'm almost positive it did), but : No way would they sleep together, because Amos actually likes her (as a person, not romantically). Amos has a 'complicated' relationship with sex.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Infidelicious posted:

“I like her, you know? Like my kid sister, only smart and I'd do her if she let me. You know?” - Amos talking about Naomi when Holden asks what their deal is in S1.

If he'd sleep with Naomi when she was his only / best friend; he would 100% sleep with peaches if she expressed interest.

Yeah that bit of characterization was a bit of a miss, imo. Wish I could find the quote I'm talking about.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

All this talk of recasting made me briefly imagine Dawes doing all the free navy speeches and i was like :sax:

I mean, it doesn't make a lick of sense but Dawes was the best character in this show and we need more of him, damnit.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Man marco lookin real stiff when he was in the room with Filip. Too much space-starch in the zero-g laundromat?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Data Graham posted:

Lmao again with the 9/11 beats. "Let's attack this random other entity" "Why?" "Cuz!"

Well, I mean, it happened in real life... don't see why it couldn't happen similarly in a story. There's precedent!

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Wheeee posted:

lol at peaches' naive bullshit getting a bunch of their people killed

Book differences spoiler if you care about such things (extremely minor):

I was disappointed with how they played this out, because the whole point was that peaches was being Amos' moral rudder. In the books, that one guard that Amos chatted with for a bit gets ganked and is pretty much toast and Amos leaving the safety of the ship to drag her in is a big moment, because the old Amos would have just left her behind because it was the pragmatic move. The show decided to have like 6 people get headshot to UP THE STAKES and just have the one guard already with Amos right on the ramp to the ship so there's no moral quandary. So it kinda double-whammy hosed up the whole point.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Anita Dickinme posted:

Or Amos is just so broken at this point that he is having a hard time accepting she’s dead after what he went through to get her on the shuttle.

Or she's just unconscious ????

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Jows posted:

But wouldn't they need gravity if they got bullet holes? Like there was a huge plot point in season whatever about spinning up the behemoth so the wounded could get treated because blood just pools inside with no gravity.

I think he was just sealing them up so they doesn't desanguinate all over the airlock.

Yes I agree he was sealing up her wounds, I just don't think he's sealing up the wounds of a dead person, just an unconscious one. A simple *checks pulse* *grunt of amosness* would have been enough to indicate if she had died.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Dreylad posted:

My wife commented on him being a pretty poor actor, but I thought he was fine given the role he was playing like other people in this thread have said. People have different standards for what constitutes good and bad acting -- I think I tend not to judge too much because I've watched a lot of sci-fi.

He immediately stuck out to me as having poor timing and a bit of stiffness when he spoke, like he's speaking to someone past the person he's directing his words at (i.e. an audience). So many people were chiming in on this thread sayin OMG I LOVE HIM that I thought maybe I was just takin crazy pills.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

This was also my take on the character. I legitimately said "uh, okay" when I saw the big bad gang boss they were building up to, be a kinda petulant little brother type. His threats to amos seemed hollow as gently caress, especially when Amos just kind of shrugged them all off like "whatever dude, I got more important poo poo to do". Not sure if that's intentional or not, but I guess we'll see how they flesh him out. I like Erich's attitude and lines, his threats just don't carry any weight.

He reads like the scrawny angry guy in a zombie apocalypse show that turtles up once someone takes the only gun in the group away from him.

Edit: His intimidations would read a LOT better as a wealthy ceo, or an elected official.

Book differences: I also think this has been missing. During their first meeting in the book, once the conversation is over, without remembering the exact exchange, Erich tells Amos that he had multiple guns (poisonous darts I think?) pointed at him from the ceiling/lamps the whole time and could have killed him in an instant. They left that part out of the show for some reason, making Amos busting in to his place not really seem like all that big a deal.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Those of you getting mad at the micrometeor strikes against the 'sitting duck' ships: that's why they used micrometeors. Grab a bunch of gravel, accelerate it to some arbitrarily high number, slingshot that poo poo at the general area of the ring gate and chances are you're going to hit something as the rocks spread out. Might be hard if the ships are doing loop-de-loops in a 1000km area, but still.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Bedshaped posted:

Holden got Jules Pierre-Mao, her father, sent to prison for his crimes in season 1 & 2. Peaches murders her way through season 3 trying to kill Holden as revenge until she meets him and realizes how handsome and brave he is. Then in her final act of season 3 risks her life to stop the ring station from killing everyone.

Wait, when did she meet him?

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

gfarrell80 posted:

I think it was just entirely because Amos recognized Cortezar as a sociopath/psychopath, and Amos knew how to push his buttons and thought he could get some info. It wasn't anything about Amos being curious about the procedure with respect to himself.

No it definitely was the latter. Amos perks up and specifically asks if the surgery is reversible/has a cure.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Kazinsal posted:

I feel like you could probably recut the Amos and Peaches bits into a two hour long film and it'd be absolutely loving killer

literally The Road

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

tokin opposition posted:

I'm glad we don't have any ingrained political requirements that make writing worse and are never addressed.

also dismissing the books (which I do think get worse as you go simply because they get too fantastical, kinda like the ender's game series) because you THINK it's trying to push chinese propaganda or an 'agenda' is silly, y'all are silly