Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Also, you're going for an overall look to your show with its production design, and utilizing a whole bunch of different styles of 'tablet interface' props is both a timesink and confuses the overall visual language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

He left it out in the rain.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can't wait to get home and open my birthday jifts.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Toast Museum posted:

Why do that when you could have a gin and ginger with giraffes at the gym?

Because none of those are spelled exactly like 'gift' but with one less letter.

Ugh, I'm making a mistake by engaging, because truthfully I don't care. Pronounce it how you like! Language is an ever-evolving thing.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

TommyGun85 posted:

the mistake you're making is that you are taking it seriously.

T-man posted:

Pronunciation is a scam made up to sell dictionaries don't fall for it

agreed

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Warmachine posted:

How do you pronounce gif in Belter creole?

Move-a-ting

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

FTL travel is impossible. But it makes for good stories.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Is it FTL travel if I use a wormhole to bend 4 dimensional space to connect two places together?

Yup, and just as impossible

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

quoting this so we can laugh at you from our ftl jumpships in the future

I'd be super happy to be wrong about this, believe me

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Also, Mass Effect's in-setting explanation for FTL communication is via 'quantum entanglement communicators.' Of course, quantum entanglement categorically cannot be exploited for communication.

Maybe it's like Star Trek where transporters have 'Heisenberg compensators.' (Which honestly is one of the least important problems with Star Trek transporters.)

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

CommanderApaul posted:

What about the fact that it's combination suicide and cloning machine?

See also: "going to sleep" or "going under anesthesia"

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Doesn’t all of this rest on Amazon giving the show a 6th season anyway? Before this stuff, I’d have just assumed it would happen. But now I’m not so sure, this kind of throws a wrench in the works.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

It served a dual purpose - one, to help her keep track of how many times she had done the job - but it was actually more important as a dramatic device, to show the viewing audience how many times she did it so they didn't have to show every single time to communicate that she did it a lot.

As for the confusing nature of what she was doing, that was just (imo) good writing. Lay a mystery (that has a definitive answer) and let it reveal itself in the course of the episode. Sure, not everyone will agree, but I appreciated the willingness to bring the audience along for the journey and have them try to piece together what was happening as a sort of narrative device to appreciate what was going through her head without overt exposition.

I think it would have been far less effective and much more frustrating if they saved the reveal for what she was doing till the next episode.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

I was rather confused by Naomi struggling with the grate and it falling back down. The ship... isn't under power, is it? The drive sure as hell wasn't burning at the end of ep7.

Yes, it was accelerating. The exterior shots in the beginning of the episode confirm it.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

They probably sent the ship off to accelerate after they left it. It probably wasn't accelerating at 1g either - Naomi was severely weakened after the vacuum exposure, the grate probably wouldn't have caused her as much trouble at full strength.

Besides, even when weightless (this obviously wasn't a weightless situation, but still) the grate still has a considerable mass and therefore inertia, which makes it more difficult to move than, say, a feather.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

You're an overwhelmed teenager and you see your mother (who, despite your rage at her, you still actually care for) apparently kill herself and a surrogate family member at the same time. I don't think your first thought is "ok, let me get out a scope and monitor this poo poo closely." No, your first move is probably going to be to collapse into a fit of emotional despair.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

"humans existing" in a year past 2050 is by definition utopian in the extreme

X1000. So edgy, tokin. That's like a moebius strip it's so edgy.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Data Graham posted:

I mean it's not like shooting on location is not a solved problem

I'm just not sure how impressed I should be when I hear "We spent $5 million per episode on this season, btw most of it went into 3D printing rocks that were precision-cut and assembled in position and manufacturing trees that could be screwed together so they looked just like the real trees a 2-hour flight away"

You build a set and it's done. You can use it for as long as you have that space allocated. You can get 3D printed rocks and poo poo dirt cheap - they sell them in bulk for zoos and reptile habitat businesses as well as for sets and poo poo for stage and film productions all over. The whole thing about the trees being unique and stuff is actually kind of a weird flex. It's what I'd expect out of a studio shoot.

You do on location shoots and you've got to pay a lot more people, every day - even on those days where the weather is not conducive to you shooting. In case you haven't noticed, the weather hasn't exactly been the most cooperative thing going on in the world lately.

This episode was better than the first one, in my opinion. That's fine - the first one was setup. It's making me think (based especially on the reviews from critics who got the whole season at once) that they should have just released the whole thing at once. It's the last season, and it's six episodes. Why not release it all at once? Do they think they are somehow building an audience for a show they already canceled and limited to six episodes? They've released multiple episodes of a show before, it's not like it would be something new to Amazon. Just give us all of it. Dummies.

ashpanash fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Dec 17, 2021

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

I like The Expanse TV series but I honestly can't think of any parts that've stuck with me like that.

For me it's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZWxA_BjXAE&t=171s

The correct mixture of wonder, awe, and trepidation.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Does the show at least end on a good note? Remember season 8 of Game of Thrones. Careful what you wish for.

The books end on a good note. It's a little laborious in getting there, but what isn't when it's 9 books long? Not every moment is completely brilliant. It's still a great ride with a satisfying ending.

The show has in general improved upon the books. Most of the major plot points and characters in the show are better realized. A few more minor things and some of the neat near-science and sci-fantasy stuff gets a better treatment in the books.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I had a friend who bounced off of the Expanse a few times, and I finally got him to start to appreciate it when I told him, "Just start at Delta-v."

I know it's weird to start in the middle of season 3, but if you watch those episodes again, you'll see that they really do a lot to make that a possible point of entry for new people. They give the cliff notes version of the first two-and-a-half seasons in little bits of dialog scattered throughout the first few episodes, the performers are relaxed and natural in their roles and the sci-fi premise and underlying mystery is immediately intriguing. And if they like what they see, they can always go back and watch the first few seasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Just like Atari, someone bought the rights to the name.