Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
that reminds me of how iain m banks basically had an entire chapter of ship to ship combat by culture ships and the elapsed real time of it to humans was like half a second. Ships blow stuff real good in hyper space and with antimatter clouds and all kinds of neat poo poo and its over before you can blink because your meat is drat slow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I thought it was pretty explicitly stated that Holden triggered the swarm and everything else by bringing Miller, who just started flipping switches and turning things on willy-nilly.

this is correct, the landing pad explodes, they try to not land on a bed of rubble, shuttle takes damage from the explosion,, crash lands.

Phi230 posted:

Also for some reason they changed the age of the builders from 2 billion to 1.5 billion

to be accurate, he was guessing the age of the specific structure, using methods that may not be accurate in another solar system.

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 15, 2019

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Can anyone tell me the context for the scene where Bobby is reviewing on her hand terminal a list of low level Martian navy/marines who have jobs in things like logistics, survey probe intelligence, and protomolecule research? It's shortly before the big betrayal/shootout at the end, but I missed how she obtained that information. I assume they're tied in to the Martian logistics lieutenant captured by the OPA and running supplies to Marco.

only referencing this season, i believe it starts with her tracking down the dead guy and is then going through other people on his office/whatever? maybe going through the blonde chick's notes as well? they talk about exchanging notes and I think shes going through to find out what blondie discovered and cross referecing it with her own surveilance. other than that its another thread to be picked up next season. also be wary of book spoilers out there fam

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The time stuff is kinda funky but the ring is supposed to be like 21 AU from earth, plus the travel through the slow zone and out to ilus. in that context theres time for election season to roll around. the travel montage is basically non existent though.

Oasx posted:

Maybe I missed something, but how did he get the information out?

he turned on his space phones recorder and linked it to his ship which presumably relayed it to the OPA

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Amos isn't exactly a sociopath, he's just knows he's not good at making a 'moral' choice and so he lets Naomi or Holden make those choices. He's still has emotions and stuff, he's protective of people, he's just, really direct with a lot of stuff. Be that fuckin' or killin'.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I, for one, have never mistaken one actor for another in my entire life and also find this to be completely ridiculous.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
maybe ra just liked sand and deserts, also pretty sure he was running around the galaxy, since he was basically head system lord.

they did a real good job of making me not think about Ilus being on Canada.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You should read the books, theyre good and it will give you a new appreciation for how well they made the show. The Expanse may be one of the best examples of how something can switch mediums.

e: about medical stuff in the show they have an all purpose drug that kills cancer, the inners have had magic limb regenerating jello as a well known thing since the first episode. can i mwntion again that theres just magic drugs that kill ALL CANCER that holden pops like candy? and that elvi can easily aynthesize in her drug 3d printer? also they can 3d print drugs!

also drummer can walk again and they were prepared to start regrowing her spine on the behemeoth?

SpookyLizard fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 18, 2019

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Basically hes talking about all the feature he deserves in a NEW prosthetic, like temp sensors and tactile feedback,, and Shed says they could regrow the whole thing with the gel and the guys response is "man gently caress the inners and their magic jello. id rather have a belter made fake any day. no offense holden"

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Medical tech in the expanse is so good they have near perfect prosthesis, a magic gel that can regrow limbs, drugs that just kill ALL CANCER, they can regrow your spine if you would just lay down and let them do it b

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Don't remember when, but amos does give him poo poo for not securing his coffee at some point.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
i think thats one of those practical budget limitations, where theyre like, yeah we could make a ton a space capri suns for holdens coffee and drinks in the bar OR we could just a normal tumbler ot coffee cup because itll help new people and book followers will get it anyway.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

I mean they spend the majority of their time aboard the Roci in a burn, so there's plenty of time to use cups. I'd feel silly using bags all the time if there was gravity 90% of the time.

its not silly on what is ostensibly a combat ship, but it is expensive production wise, so i get them not doing it. its one of the things I can ignore and doesnt break my suspension of disbelief.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Or spin up an asteroid/dwarf planet like ceres or eros. No system is 100% efficient so you need regular resupply from elsewhere, too. thats part of why the loss of Canterbury was so important; it was bringing ice to Ceres, for Ceres. Also your habitats ecosystem isnt as sustainable as a planets. If the belters could find a planet with like .3g gravity and a friendly ecosystem it would be a utopia.

Of course some people feel like they still wouldnt be belters if they had their own planet.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Yeah honestly my only problem with Murty as a character is that everyone seems convinced he'll actually be convicted of something

if you wanted to convict him you should've waited for him to build a loving court house.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Amos's contacts:

Cap'n - Holden
Boss - Naomi (he's been calling her boss since the pilot on the Cant)
Alex - Alex
Peaches - Melba/Clarissa Mao
My Best Friend - Prax
Tonight - Presumably the nearest brothel.
Doc - Doctor preacher lady anna voldovovovov or whatever her name is

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The analogy of belters being natives doesn't really work, especially considering they basically jumped the line and took the planet. It works better in the book, because they settled there years ago and THEN the charter is basically granted to a planet that's already been settled. It still doesn't work too much, because the belters and RCE have, being generous to the belters, an equal claim to planet. At best the belters have "gently caress you, we landed here first" and RCE has a more or less ironclad contract from the government saying they own it, but that could all play out however in space court. But the belters have only been there for a minute, so this whole colonialism frontier thing doesn't totally hold up, it's not like belters have been there for a few hundred generations. It's really two different varieties of colonists settling a planet, settling their differences in a more direct manner because someone hasn't even built the loving post office yet.

And murtry is a fookin' legend

and imo the builders didn't ascend, they got killed by Red Lectroids from Planet 10, by the way of the eighth dimension. Monkey-boy.

My more serious scifi opinion is that they were some type of excession; I picture them as some type of aggressive hegemonizing swarm, one that probably either naturally had some nature of hive-mindedness or developed it through technology, given how the protomolecule bits talk to each other across the system and how it eat and kept intact parts of people from Eros. Then they met another excession, possibly one that lives on the otherside of the energy grid in infraspace or ultraspace, which promptly killed the poo poo out of them, as excessions tend to do. Whatever it was it was an outside context problem.

Excession, by Iain M Banks posted:

The usual example given to illustrate an Outside Context Problem was imagining you were a tribe on a largish, fertile island; you'd tamed the land, invented the wheel or writing or whatever, the neighbors were cooperative or enslaved but at any rate peaceful and you were busy raising temples to yourself with all the excess productive capacity you had, you were in a position of near-absolute power and control which your hallowed ancestors could hardly have dreamed of and the whole situation was just running along nicely like a canoe on wet grass... when suddenly this bristling lump of iron appears sailless and trailing steam in the bay and these guys carrying long funny-looking sticks come ashore and announce you've just been discovered, you're all subjects of the Emperor now, he's keen on presents called tax and these bright-eyed holy men would like a word with your priests.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
youd have to do a ton of work to grow new nerves, bones, musculature and everything. they cant jist grow you a new arm theyve got to hook it into your body so you can use it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
In the culture a lot of people spend their young lives loving around and getting up to new and inventive sexual depravity until they start to grow and realize they can have virtual sex as perfect as they can imagine it and begin to treasure relationships with real people. Sma goes on about it a bit in Use of Weapons, which is probably my favorite book. And the best book. And yes I know I quoted Excession earlier.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
everyone dresses in cowboy outfits because they are cowboys in the space west
if you think about it more than this you are overthinking it

the real question that comes with stuff like the protomolecule tech though is the cost that it comes with. i dont mean eros or dead belters, but the builders basically nuked, like, 1400 potentially life bearing worlds, their poo poo is arguably evil for its ability to 3d print super tech by eating anything and everything useful to their ends. in an alternate timeline the builders horizon zero dawn'd themselves. never mind that whatever killed them however long ago left behind a just glowing ball of space anathema that kills anything of the builders you put into it, are probably still out there, and are probably aware we used their anathema eyeball thing

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I dont think theres anything special aboyt it using orgsnic material, its just really convenient. You use your space telescopes to eye out systems which have useful resources or living space for your people. you shoot off this little sample of protomolecule to go there and build a gate to your weird little hyperspace bubble. ideally the protomolecule hits the planet you want to use and it does you the favor of wiping out the extant biosphere on the planet so theres no nasty local lifeforms to deal with; not that youre so muvh worried about fighting them as you are about your new place having a termite problem. Then the place is nice and empty so you can just go and terraform it for whatever ends you need or start building houses or whatever.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
The PM is still just a tool; protogen just barely started loving with it to the point that they didnt bave a clue as to how little they understood what it did.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
is there a bsg thread where we can talk about the expanse

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also worth mentioning regarding book stuff: characters cut from the book are generally reworked into existing ones, like bull and michio pa. some great show characters are barely in the books at all, like drummer.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
they were putting people into airlocks to teach them that air is good and so is the expanse.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Dancer posted:

Which is an obnoxiously bad title that has absolutely nothing to do with the content of the game but it is a good improvement on an already solid game. It's not like, game of the year, but it is a shockingly good board game given that it is based on a popular IP.

Doors and corners, kid, thats where they get you.

The terminals can hold stuff and what not, the lay it out in the book that all of the terminals on Ilus are basically on an ad hoc peer to peer network. On a ship/city/station theyre all centrally hooked in together. They become a lot easier to produce when its basically just the interface, bettery, and space wifi antenna. There is undoubtedly high end space phones, but for most people a freebie phone is good enough.

Millers phone was cracked because miller.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Didnt they say they were going to cover it in S5?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Oh its absolutely about beating the poo poo out of him.

pretty sure its in the book too

My favorite Amos line was him talking to Murtry and murtry is like "i think we are going to come to blood" and Amos says "How about now? Im free right now."

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Holden is a level or two of civilized above Murtry, "You should havr waited for me to build a loving post office", buy Amos is almost raw reptile brain violence. Amos wouldve been right at home beating someone to death with a jawbone.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Seasons 2 and 3 covered 2.5 books between them. season 4 is one book and novella. 4 is by no means bad, but its a nit of lull coming from season 3, which was drat near perfect.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

gfarrell80 posted:

Boobs though. booobs.

No, like, what was she wearing?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Actually you'll find Jon Space is from Montana.

But yeah as others said it's a very diverse show, except that obviously white belters should be nearly non-existent.

human looking belters should be nearly nonexistant
martians too for that matter

VoLaTiLe posted:

It has to be the most diverse show out at the moment, but forget that all the characters are super interesting and the stories cool.

Surely that is all that should matter?
this is accurate.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Martians are remarked to be different enough to be able to blend in with the belters, and stand out amongst earthers.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
She voices Lakshmi-2 in Destiny, aka Robot Warcrimes Mom and the biggest failing of destiny 2 is her being under used

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hard Scifi is scifi that sticks hard to the rules of science and when it gets to speculation, it keeps it consist and following those same rules. Soft scifi is stuff that plays fast and loose with the rules of science, and is generally consistent in it's internal logic, even if that logic doesn't take into consideration. For instance, the gravity produced from the epsteins constant acceleration (and the lack thereof on the float), is a consistent point in the Expanse, but in, say, Iain M Banks' culture novels, they've got all kinds of poo poo. FTL, artificial gravity, displacers, CAM, AI, effectors, field technology, insane levels of biological manipulation, hyperspace of two varieties, and OCPs. Some of which are, y'know, potentially possible, but most of which is just wholesale fiction, for the point of the story and setting. Although it's consistent, and very, very good and you should go and read those books with a dram of whisky. If you accept a couple of assumptions from the expanse, like the highly efficient epstein drive, and super advanced space tech, it stays pretty hard, albeit not angry, blue veined, diamond cutter hard.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I would legit watch an entire episode devoted to earth and the belters seeing Eros move and running around waving their hands frantically, screaming "oh my preconceived notions about reality!"

im terrified beyond the capacity for rational thought

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Inaros message can be boiled down to "The status quo hasnt really changed, the inners will only maintain it this way until they can twist it to their end again", which is pretty believable to most of the belt. Most members of the OPA are in love with being freedom fighters against the opressor, and dont know what to do when there isnt an oppressor. Many of them dont want equality, but revenge. Inaros offers exactly that.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Belters eat mostly vegetable imitation, with some vat grown fish and meat as a luxury. Martian vat grown meat is supposed to be pretty dope, they can custom grow the best cuts with none of the waste. earth has actual cows but its a super luxury, vat grown meat and stuff is common because its much more economical. caught fish likewise, most of it is farmed.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
that awkward time she tried to be relate-able by carrying hot sauce in her purse only for everyone it to fail miserably because no one can afford or obtain actual hot sauce

StashAugustine posted:

i was rewatching the mutiny on the agatha king earlier and it bugged me that they're all standing around even when combat could break out at any second

ah yes, the most incompetent mutiny in the history of mutinies

admiral nguyen deserved to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

etalian posted:

So Murtry is basically the Spock's beard version of Amos?

No, hes closer to Amos without Holden and Naomi