Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

New viewer here. I'm working my way through S3 right now, so I'm not even going to fully read the OP because I know there are spoilers in there (not least because Miller is mentioned in the present tense — okay not much of a spoiler since WTF like they were really going to write him out of the show, but hell if I know what his reintroduction is gonna look like).

S1 was rough going for the first few episodes, and when I tried to explain it to a friend who hadn't seen it — prior to my encountering anything protomolecule-related — I could only describe it as being roughly like Blade Runner mixed with The Wire, all gritty subculture stuff blended with these goofily anachronistic film noir tropes. Almost seemed a bit too self-indulgent and I had to steel myself to press on. But then at some point it took that sudden left turn into BSG/Terminator territory, which is a lot more action-packed and crowd-pleasing (god who can't love Avasarala cursing a blue streak while being accelerated through 8 Gs by a Martian Marine), but somehow feels more well-worn in a way than what it felt like at first.

I don't want to go too fast through this, it all feels too chewy to just rage through in a weekend or whatever. Doing like an episode a day. Can't wait to see what else is coming in S3/S4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

S3E07: :stare:

Maneo Jesus christ

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

S3E08: Miller :neckbeard: I never realized how much I missed him, I thought the gumshoe stuff was kind of tedious in S1 but drat it makes for a nice Contact-style device.

Also I love that it has taken them until the very last scene of this episode to finally start expressing the show's theme music more fully, and drat it's worth it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Let me just say I really appreciate the creole and how deeply they're committed to it, like on an acting level. Some actors/characters speak it more thickly than others, obviously, but it's always in a consistent way; the ones with the thickest accents all have this very idiosyncratic delivery with features like eliding all final stops (-k, -t, -p, etc all just disappear). It's not quite like any real-life accent I can place and it's really immersive. Hats off to the voice coaches and directors as much as to the actors.

Ashford is fuckin something else

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So, probably dumb question, but is Amos supposed to be autistic?

I keep seeing these moments where he has a social reaction to something that might be just him being a presumed-meathead playing something off for laughs, but might be something else, something he genuinely feels is the right reaction. Like "Does this mean we're not loving anymore?" is the most recent one I've seen, but all through the show there have been a ton of moments where his actions are just ... not the done thing. Like going a bit too HAM beating someone up, or completely ignoring / not picking up on someone's subtext. Is this reading totally off-base or not?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Phenotype posted:

I dunno how this is still a question that comes up. Amos is kind of a sociopath. Maybe on the autistic spectrum to some degree, but its never narrowed down, but he definitely does not see the world the way a normal person would. Recall the scene with the protomolecule scientists on Tycho Station, where the guy talks about how they ran magnets over his brain to remove his emotions and sense of right and wrong, and Amos is interested to find out if there's a way to reverse it, because he sees it in himself.

All right, well, I guess I should have figured this was a question that's come up a million times already. But if so I'm in good company asking it I guess.

I'm totally here for a depiction of a "sociopath who is trying to be a good person", i.e. he knows what he should do and care about in order to help other people, but it takes effort and it does not come naturally. But he's still trying.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grand Fromage posted:

Havelock got written out of the season entirely since the actor's on a different show.

Well that explains what felt like the oddly sudden departure of a character I thought would be in for the long haul.

I got the impression from the early couple of seasons that The Expanse as a show was unusually willing to kill off seemingly major characters right in the middle of story arcs. I thought it was something unique and stylistic about it, but I guess not so much.

e: I mean there do still seem to be a lot of colorful characters who show up briefly and then disappear, like that bouncer dude and the refugee ship captain during the escape from Eros, but I guess I can't count Havelock really.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Mar 20, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The first time I heard her say "bullshit" in her accent I knew she was going to be amazing. Before that it was hard to get a bead on her character-wise.

"I know how the loving thing works" :haw:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

In the grand Babylon 5 tradition

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Caliban is a hybrid human/monster. His name has become basically a metonym for "tragic monstrous offspring of parents he loves/hates"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

drat these were good

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

T-man posted:

Chaos option: make Alex trans, replace with trans actress

Cyberpunk option: deepfake Alex in without Cas using Bezosbux

I almost posted earlier to ask what the ethics would be of deepfaking a living actor against their will

But I decided not to

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

CPColin posted:

Paul Reubens doing the pilot from Star Tours

Well holy poo poo that was him

God drat Star Tours was well done, especially for the 80s

(the Star Trek Experience riff on it was equally amazing though)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Seriously. I've been seeing a lot of movies and things from circa 2001 and the next few years and thinking "OK this is 20 goddamn years old, surely it's going to look dated as hell, this is only like four years after that weird little green CGI alien in the Lost in Space movie after all" but I cannot find fault in BSG or Firefly even imagining they came out today.

If anything modern FX-heavy movies and shows have mostly made strides in just making it seamless so you don't notice it's happening, even in totally mundane scenes where you're just trying to avoid having to shoot like a period piece with historically accurate cars and buildings or whatever. Which I gueeeesss is a good thing?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

I think BSG looks so good because they try to make every shot look like a person is filming it. So the galactica will jump in and the camera moves to put it in frame and then does a quick focus change to get a clear look at the shop. So much better than some shows and movies where the cg camera captures what happens but it's clearly just a fake camera moving with keyframes.

That's similar to my abiding memory of the Firefly effects, which might be more about the Firefly camerawork: specifically that bit in I think the first episode where they're being chased by the ship belching black smoke down on the planet and they show you an extreme telephoto view of it bearing down on them. Foreshortening, focus hunting, the billowing smoke as a backdrop instead of being blocked out as it would have been in a shorter shot — it looked real like nothing ever had.

That kind of "ok let's emulate not just the objects of real life but how you would capture those objects with a camera" innovation may have been the biggest leap over stuff like B5 which was still in the "holy poo poo we can just put the camera anywhere we want and make it swoop around like a Mind's Eye video :catdrugs:" mode.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

davidspackage posted:

He is perfect for that role, so charismatic that you get how people follow him.

And in Mad Men he was decrepit and nebbishy, it's weird how wide a range his style translates to.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

davidspackage posted:

I kinda was where you were, I put on the first episode and then spent half of it glancing at my phone, then turned it off because I wasn't in the right mindset for it. I put it on again a day later and watched the whole thing over two days, glued to the screen.

Been meaning to pick up the blurays for it to watch it again.

There's something a little :pwn: about Chernobyl on Blu-ray

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

btw just wanted to share this cosplay that I saw at a con last year

(not my photo, not sure how to credit it)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

McSpanky posted:

And you get fun little character moments too, like Avasarala learning how to use magboots and being all "I loving hate space".

“I know how it loving works” may be my favorite Expanse line

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So yeah I have to say something, this improved rapidly but for the first 15 minutes of episode 1 I was like what the gently caress happened with the acting on this show.

Every ancillary character in those first two scenes (the one on the science ship especially) sounded like my 6th grade classmates being forced to read some YA novel one paragraph at a time by the teacher. And then the bit on Tycho, they were putting weird wrong emphasis on lines like it was the first read they got and they didn't bother doing any retakes. "That's what we get for USING the ship to drag a hundred times its mass!" Blah it was so distracting I almost stopped watching. Glad I didn't though, the rest was great

Anyway just wondering whether whoever wrote the theme music for Game of Thrones ever sued them

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Taintrunner posted:

"You could be both" is probably going to win out for line of the season. You just can't beat that.

OK so maybe my sense of humor is on the fritz, or maybe there is context I'm missing from the books or something, but I don't get what is so :hellyeah: about this line. It comes off to me like just a really gross, lovely thing to say out of left field to someone who's trying to pour you a thank-you drink

I get that they're both large-and-in-charge type people and there isn't a traditional power dynamic kind of thing, but ... I don't know, it's mildly "wtf, okay then" at best to me

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Thanks, this is a good boil-down.

e: There are some jokes that just work well regardless of who's delivering them or how, but then there are jokes that only work because of the very specific details of how the characters are standing or emoting or the tone of their voice or the long slow build-up of their character arcs leading up to it. I can't begin to imagine how hard that poo poo is to write and execute through however many layers of adaptation by however many people are successively in charge of "getting" the joke's intent from the beginning

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 17, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I thought it was a cool character touch that he collects classic motorcycles even though he probably can’t ride them what with his arm

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

StashAugustine posted:

I keep wanting to see that but I'm scared I can't take Valjean seriously

Just imagine Russell Crowe as javert, it’s like picturing the audience in their underwear

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

VagueRant posted:

But is it just me, or was Bobbie's actress pretty bad at delivering that mouse story?

Yeah this was crazy bad, like the first bits of ep 1. That whole scene reeked of “As you know,” type exposition

“Hmm maybe it really is just a supply mission.”

“NO IT IS AN ILLICIT RENDEZVOUS, SOON THEY WILL MAKE CONTACT WITH A SUSPICIOUS PARTY”

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

Ep 4: I don't think Marco did the checkmate he thinks he did. Having protomolecule likely isn't the deterrent he thinks it is. He hosed up Earth and attacked Mars. What a great way to unite them against the entire belt. At best, they might leave him alone, but I'll bet he'll continue escalating and attacking because he's another dumb terrorist and that will lead to the inners splatting every single belt ship they come across.

I mean if the story is so transparently going to do a 9/11 analog, the way this plays out is going to either be a commentary on how the world was justified in going ham on al-Qaeda even if their grievances were legitimate, or a what-if about bin Laden getting a nuke/bioweapon

Book readers already know which direction it will go so I'm just guessing, but I was caught off-guard by how on-the-nose this is after so much to this point has felt entirely speculative.

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 23, 2020

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

DaveKap posted:

It always bothers me whenever a new technique of battle happens in a science fiction film and people ask this question. I had to have such a long conversation after Star Wars Episode 8 with one friend who was insistent that if throwing vessels at warp speed could take down an armada, it would've been developed and done prior to the time it happens in the movie. People, there's always a first time for everything. This is just the first time.

Hell, put your tinfoil hat on and assume Covid-19 was developed in a foreign country's laboratory and meant to be used as an attack on other countries. (I do not believe this! It's just salient to the argument!) You'd thusly assume that those enemy powers would have seen this coming and would've prevented it, right? Whoops!

In fact, Humans are especially stupid about this stuff because as soon as a new attack vector is discovered, overbearing and useless preventative measures are put into place that don't even solve the problem but make life worse for everyone being protected. Example? The TSA.

First time for everything.

Following Inaros’ attack, all UN citizens will be banned from carrying any rocks larger than a pebble, and whole government agencies will be set up to enforce the rock ban and stop and frisk random passersby in malls and airports looking for possible rock contraband

Meanwhile Inaros is setting up a protomolecule attack that nobody thinks is plausible

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Grand Fromage posted:

Mars has nine billion people spread across the whole planet. You'd need thousands. Probably fewer than Earth since you could destroy all the life support systems and let the planet kill everyone.

Nine billion? Seriously??

I would have guessed like, a million tops. TOPS

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Typo posted:

Germany and the USSR were both industrialized nation states of comparable strength tho. There's like 20-30 billion earthers and like 10 bil martians? There's something like 100 mil belters and marco isn't even in charge of most of them. In this scenerio he's more like space Al-Qaeda trying to get space america/space Soviets bogged down fighting in space afghanistan.

Like if this is supposed to be some great obscure insight and I understood it,

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Really jonesing for them to harness both the 9/11 old school human and relatable terrorists and the passionless, implacable force-of-nature coronavirus analog of the protomolecule all at once

We must have concerts and open the bars or the protomolecule wins

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I enjoy that in the galley they still use plain-old microwaves to heat up noodles. (But the light is blue now)

Lol at the prop cabinet door that just sort of bangs shut and sits there askew

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

A man can dream

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Of course not, Sexpanse would be way WAY too easy for the sleazy producer not to just smack the back of someone's head and insist on it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Speaking of BSG this almost seemed too on-the-nose with the whole "this rando Undersecretary of Paperclips is now the leader of Earth" plot point.

I really enjoyed how the guy they ran into in the woods seemed super suspicious and put you into Amos' wild-animal mindset reading his posture and tone of voice and deciding whether or not he's a threat. Something tells me they haven't seen the last of him, but even if they don't it's a good scene that sets up the next one very well

I wonder whose plan it was to write "OK Amos has to strip down and turn around in the snow ;-*" into the script

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tylertfb posted:

As she's struggling to fasten her necklace you just get the feeling she's thinking: "this is normally when I'd ask my husband to help me..." devastating.

Also, it looked like the leaves on the snow-covered trees were still really green. Way to green to have snow on them. A good way to hint at the oddness of the climate. (NB: I'm a life long Southern Californian who knows next to nothing about snowy climates, so I could be wrong here)

East Coast forests are a mix of deciduous and evergreen; it looked about right for a regular winter. It does snow in like October sometimes (maybe not as far south as Maryland, but whatever), but that's still when all the leaves are up and very colorful, so that didn't track visually.

(Kinda stands to reason because they would have just filmed a forest in winter, it's not a whole CGI landscape (aside from the establishing shot with the toppled trees))

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

OB_Juan posted:

I just assumed campfire guy poisoned him. He seemed to recognize his coat that Peaches was wearing, and handed them a flask he wasn't drinking from, nor drank from after they left. No idea why that's what I settled on, or why he would have done that.

Heh, I missed that aspect of the exchange. I just read his oddly bright comment on the coat as like that bit in Home Movies

"Nice video camera."
"Thank you."
"Good resale value, I'm guessing."
"Uh, thanks"

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

smooth jazz posted:

I didn't mind it, thought it looked abstract in a David Lynch horror kinda way.

Yeah I kept thinking about the Judy-or-whatever killing the observer and his girlfriend scene in Twin Peaks S3E01

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is it sent by mermaids?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Josh Lyman posted:

Toward the end of the episode when Marco yelled at Filip and said “You’re nothing with me!” and then realized he went to far and walked it back, the walking back wasn’t convincing enough for me. :colbert:

It seemed very conspicuous that this followed the Naomi/Filip scene where she tells him "I knew I was nothing without you". Loved that reversal

Also lol remembering that a couple episodes ago we were all super lukewarm on Marco's acting :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Holy poo poo is that a cool post