Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I'm gonna post this unspoiled because I really feel like people should know about it: It was a fairly major plot point in the book that one of the female side characters wasn't thinking right because she was horny and wanted to gently caress Holden really bad. After one of the male scientists points this out to her, she fucks him instead and is then clear-headed enough to solve problems.
I think you're getting it backwards: she wanted to gently caress Holden because she wasn't thinking right. She was suffering from PTSD and fixated on Holden as the answer to all their problems. When the other male scientist, with whom she initially was developing a relationship, points it out it breaks her fevered obsession and then she can think clearly.

The whole thing was one of the most annoying things about the book.

edit: gently caress it, I'm spoilering it just in case.

Slamhound fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 15, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Phenotype posted:

I think you're getting it backwards: she wanted to gently caress Holden so bad she wasn't thinking right. She was suffering from blueballs and was fixated on dick as the answer to all their problems. When the other male scientist, with whom she initially was developing a relationship, points it out, she settles for his dick instead so she can think clearly.

They covered this on an old documentary from the 90s called Seinfeld. When a woman doesn't have sex for a while, it's like she's taking the trash out to the curb but it's not getting picked up, so everything so gets backed up she can't think straight. Ironically, this works backward for men -- when test subject George Costanza stopped having sex, it made him smarter and more clear-headed because sex was usually clouding his brain.

e: also, I think you're good on the spoilers -- this is a stupid minor plot point from the books that doesn't appear at all in the show. (Definitely for the better.)

No, I think you're getting it backwards! Her fixation on Holden mirrors the solar system's fixation where he's the Great Man, while the other scientist was all like https://i.imgur.com/QV01rv9.mp4

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

rndmnmbr posted:

Wil Wheaton as early TNG Wesley Crusher, complete with so 90's it hurts gray uniform, snotty nerd attitude, and writers who have no idea what to do with him.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Maneo’s eyeroll at Holden channeled the entire fan base.