Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nail Rat posted:

That scene is there for drama for Bobbie, but if you think it through, it makes the concept of a Martian invasion laughable.

What's a Martian "invasion" even supposed to accomplish? Like, maybe I'm misreading the scale of the show, but let's say Mars gets an invasion fleet onto the shores of Earth; they'll have, what, a few thousand troops on the ground? Tens of thousands maybe?

So let's say they hit NYC and they take UN headquarters. What, the rest of the planet is going to do what they say just because a few thousand Martians are sitting in the capital?

Okay, let's say Earth surrenders. Mars wins and the people of Earth accept their new overlords. Great, now Mars is responsible for billions of new subjects. What now? Do they plan on enslaving or massacring huge swaths of them, would they force more favorable trade terms and then leave and declare mission accomplished, or would this just be a huge "dog caught the car" moment for them? (Or I guess, what would a fully propagandized Martian imagine would happen following Martian victory?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I know I'm pages late on this, but count me in on the "didn't absorb from the events depicted that we're looking at 50+% of the Earth's population being killed" camp.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I remember reading that the BSG production was always racing to keep up because the studio had essentially planned around selling a series of made-for-TV movies at a rate of, like, one a month... and then ABC turned around and demanded a weekly series.

Stuff like the Old West episode, aside from what I imagine the network thought would be sure crowd-pleasers, was probably also done in a desperate effort to save some money by doing something where they could at least rent some of the costumes instead of having to make them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

twistedmentat posted:

I could have sworn I remembered that the GW Bush WH honestly believe in the BS about being welcomed as liberators and that by kicking out Saddam and his cronies the Iraqi people would just fall into a western friendly democracy.

I remember reading years after the fact that the initial plan was just to kick in the door, grab Saddam, then congratulate the Iraqi people on their newfound democracy on the way home; then some jackass convinced Bush that no actually we should totally stick around and carry out a half-assed occupation.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

MikeJF posted:

(Is Earth's first strike capability against Mars the same planetary railguns they use on the platforms?)

I thought it was the nuclear missiles that they launched against Eros.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
There's no fines, cable channels can send whatever they want (because it's not going out over the airwaves), the real pressure would be from whoever buys time for commercials.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

LionArcher posted:

I've been waiting for more soundtracks to come out and the Composer posted on reddit apparently the label won't release them or return his calls. Super frustrating.

Man, that is such bullshit. Okay, so they don't want to spend the money on printing physical CDs, why not just release the album online?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Restarting nuclear weapons production would be even more expensive than getting it spun up the first time was, because it's unlikely that the heinous safety risks and environmental pollution would be tolerated this time around.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

swickles posted:

Also to say there weren't any real consequences when like half of Earth died and its fate is unclear is a hell of a handwave.

'unclear' seems generous, it feels pretty unambiguous to me that those asteroid strikes are ultimately going to lead to Earth becoming uninhabitable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arc Hammer posted:

Errinwright isn't a bloodthirsty psychopath

Ehhhhh sort of, but I think if you gave him a button that would instantly kill every Martian in the solar system without threat of reprisal to Earth, he'd have pressed it.