Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Eej posted:

You're thinking of DBZ. The Expanse as Naruto would be Holden and Marco teaming up at the end with their unique abilities to harness the protomolecule to fight Christian God residing in red space.

The Expanse being like a JRPG would be pretty fun.

First Quest: Mine Some Ice(In Space!)
Final Quest: Kill God(In Space!)

twistedmentat posted:

I really hope the rumors of doing some movies is true.

Though 6 seasons IS pretty good. Its only one season less than TNG or Ds9.

I'd much rather it end at 6 than burn out with too many seasons. When a series falls apart, it kills even the parts I liked before that for me.

6 and a movie would be pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Warmachine posted:

Do you have a source for this? I've never read a single piece on MC02 that suggested Van Riper's tactics were unrealistic. Especially with the benefit of forever-war hindsight. If I haven't been looking in the right place, please correct me.

For what it's worth, the forever war isn't very good evidence against the concepts that MC02 tried to validate. If anything, the beginning of the Iraq forever war, which the MC02 was likely specifically planning for, proved MC02 to be an accurate portrayal of the United States invading a gulf state.

The problem is a thing that the MC02 didn't try to test at all and that leaders at the time handwaved away like it was a simple. That a large portion of the country would never view the new government we installed as legitimate. Basically we can't really just invade, install our own friendly government and walk away. We go through steps 1 and 2, but then found that the new situation was incredibly unstable, and that if we left it was likely that government would collapse and be replaced with one that probably hates us even more than the last one. So we had to stay there in force for a decade or so and continue to have involvement there to this day. That's the kind of thing that we should have learned in Vietnam, that propping up a government with military might is folly.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 29, 2021

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

I could have sworn I remembered that the GW Bush WH honestly believe in the BS about being welcomed as liberators and that by kicking out Saddam and his cronies the Iraqi people would just fall into a western friendly democracy.

That's basically what I'm saying. The US and friends thought all the stuff that comes after the invasion would be easy.

They were very wrong.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Your Moms Ahegao posted:

The slow zone was my favourite part of the show and even I thought this season was absolutely glacial.

When it started, I hated it. However, once it got going and looking back after season 5, it's really amazing. Even the protomolocule felt pretty grounded, so watching this wide variety of different characters and groups trying to wrestle with this setting and technology that was totally beyond them and couldn't be just understood as a "bioweapon" or whatever was great.