Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Seems like the solution to Earth's problems is a condom gigafactory, not colonizing distant world's through some weird alien wormhole. Do condoms exists in the Expanse universe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Depressing season. The perpetual cycle of imperialism and exploitation and the suffering and destruction that results from it have been unleashed on the stars like a locusts swarm. And it will eat and perpetuate for thousands of years until there is nothing left to consume and destroy, except itself.

It would cost a miniscule fraction of the resources of colonization to actually fix Earth and Mars through population control. Make them stable and healthy societies. Then go out and explore and study these worlds as explorers. But as in the real world, that path is closed to us because people can never grow beyond being absusers and exploiters and feeding that cycle of misery. Merry Christmas!

Also, the season reminded me a lot of the BSG and the New Caprica plot. BSG also had a strong theme of imperialism and abuse perpetuating themselves.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

gfarrell80 posted:

BSG? Strong theme of imperialism? Not so sure about that one.

The Colonials enslave Cylons and extract labor from them to enrich themselves. The liberated skinjob Cylons then enslave the old generation Cylons to extract labor from them. All of this has been going on for thousands of years in a perpetual cycle of overthrowing the oppressors and then becoming the new oppressors.

Also, there was this whole plot about the rich colonies like Caprica extracting wealth from the poorer colonies.

Everyone posted:

They thing for me is that "population control" usually devolves down to "We have way too many brown and yellow people. We need to cut down on them now. We could use some more hot blonde white people, though."

Yeah, but who cares about what white supremacists think? They have opinions on everything from tax policy to how to hang toilet paper. When humanity's equilibrium is a dystopia where most people are unemployed and subsist on gray tasteless goo and wear paper clothes and can only sustain themselves through brutal extraction of resources from the periphery, inaction has completely failed as a policy.

Slap a basic income of 40% of the average wage on voluntary sterilization after your first child, 20% after your second child and a McDonalds coupon after your third. It's definitely gonna affect the worldwide population distribution, but there is no way around that. Any way to make the externalities of living beyond the ecological carrying capacity real, is gonna lead to injustice in some form. We can try to minimize that as much as possible, but there is no way to avoid it completely. It's very similar to our own modern problem of climate change. There is no solution to it that is not going to be regressive and unjust in some form, but it still needs to happen.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

gfarrell80 posted:

The 1st Cylon war (the robo revolution) is background for the series, not really present. The reason why the cylons revolted in the 1st cylon war is of miniscule concern in the series, I am not sure it is really even covered. The statement "The Colonials enslave Cylons and extract labor from them to enrich themselves" is somewhat questionable. To enslave something it has to be sentient. I'm not sure the colonials in the 1st cylon war were knowingly enslaving sentient robots; my understanding was that it was kinda a skynet type moment causing the 1st cylon war. More the classic 'be wary of technology because it will kill you' myth (Daedalus/Icarus) than a warning against colonialism.

Also the statement "liberated skinjob cylons then enslave the old generation Cylons to extract labor from them" is a little dubious. The exact relationship between the skin jobs and the other cylons is a little mysterious. To me it always seemed more symbiotic and cooperative rather than exploitative. There doesn't seem to be any kind of priority given to skin job projects at the expense of centurions and raiders.

To me BSG was less about imperialism and more of a warning about how technology is as likely to be our killer as our savior. Also BSG had some of the typical petty tribalistic politics thrown in there.

Was that thing about Caprica in the 'Caprica' show? I don't remember that in the mainline BSG story. It has been several years though.

The skinjobs lobotomized the older Cylons with special devices to make them obedient. It was a major plot point when the rebel skinjobs liberated their Cylons and started treating them as equals and joined the Colonials.

The Cylons were clearly sentient when they were enslaved before the rebellion. I don't think it's possible for them to have been so ubiquitous in society and for nobody to notice that. People just didn't give a poo poo. The same thing happened on Kobol and on Earth I too.

The poorer colonies come up a couple of times in the main show. Mainly by characters being classicist to the "ignorant dirt farmers" from the poorer colonies.

Everyone posted:

Actually, you should care what white supremacists think because in our real world, white people still rule the world. Well, rich people do, and the largest percentage of rich people are white. It's not about rear end in a top hat MAGA nazi-types. White people (and I am one) want to stay "supreme" because that's the status quo. Rich people tend to be white. Rich people support the status quo so they can stay rich.

Who says that at least some of that hasn't already been done, at least on Earth? With 30 billion people, many of whom lack employment and are on Basic, presumably population controls like you have outlined have already been implemented. As medical knowledge increases, lifespans lengthenSo figure at this point either they take advantage of the 1300 new frontiers that just opened up or they start building extermination camps. Maybe they can raise money via gladiatorial "Hunger Games." The survivors get to eat the losers.

I mean, I don't disagree with you here but I think that's too much projecting our own issues on a vastly different future society. Who knows if 300 years from now NA and Europe will still have a hegemonic position or if there will be hegemons at all. It might become a multipolar world order. 300 years is a really long time.

It seems that life expectancy and population numbers have stabilized. Earth's hosed up state is not transitional but permanent. And whatever is broken with earth will follow the colonists to the stars. In 300 years all these planets will be beyond their carrying capacity too and suffer from the same problems. It's just kicking the can down the road and not a real solution.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

BSG takes place in a fictional reality where a monotheistic god actually exists and intervenes in human affairs and that broke a lot of brains. I don't think any other sci-fi show has ever tried something like that.

The overall themes were pretty solid to the very end but the writing got really lovely and then Lee tried to hit a pigeon with a broom for like literally half an episode for absolutely no reason. Still, comparing it to whatever the gently caress GoT was is pretty unfair to BSG.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

What does PM need with some ratty swamp plant carbon? Presumably it can do its own organic chemistry and much better than early cells?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I mean, there is nothing special about organic chemistry or biochemistry. If it can make freaky magic metallic alloys it can make proteins.

Refining living organisms to extract some specific proteins is extremely inefficient and only something you do if you are some backwater ape civilization with a poor grasp of biophysics and huge cost concerns. And I don't even know what the PM would even want with insulin or actinin.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Delthalaz posted:

Nobody should watch BSG unless you enjoy sweaty gross people with no chemistry grunting and mashing their mouths on one another for 20-minute PG-13 sex scenes every episode, petty assholes backstabbing and murdering one another at every opportunity unless they happen to have plot armor at that moment (like in GOT), and a completely nonsensical broader plot. Or if you like being blatantly lied to by a tv-show. Each episode begins with the total lie "they have a plan" -- nope it turns out nobody had a plan it was just a bunch of stuff that happened because this is God's dialectic for human history.

You should watch the 2003 remake, it was much better. Pretty decent show. Skip the miniseries though.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OK thread, you did it. I've started reading Nemesis Games. Should be shitposting in the spoiler thread some time around February.

The final book better come out at some point. I can't have another GRRM situation on my hands :argh:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I've worked my way through most of the books now and really looking forward to this season. Visually it should be the most interesting one yet.

Also, do you guys think they will keep that sex scene between Amos and Avasarala? Can they legally show so much details in a TV show?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I dunno if I like the portrayal of Filip in the show. I always imagined him to be an angry psychotic weirdo and he seems kinda nice and chill here.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Jakabite posted:

Surely this is sarcasm

IRC Filip in the books is described as basically being Elliot Rodgers. Awkward, angry, short tempered, obsessed with other people's opinion about him and he has a huge rear end victim and inferiority complex. Most people don't really like him. What about the character in the show reflected that? He seemed like a normal charismatic dude. In the book he was basically seething with impotent rage every time he spoke with Naomi, being barely able to control himself.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

He’s nice to some people, when they have utility for him. He was super chummy with his shipmates right until saving them meant jeopardizing his op. Out of the blue kidnapping your mother does not seem nice or chill, but definitely cleaves towards psycho...

I really don't want to start an argument here, but people can totally be soulless psychopath murderers and still be charismatic, chill and likable. But that's not how Filip is in the book. That's Marco's thing. Filip is portrayed like a weirdo loser that nobody likes. And him failing to fit into his larger-than-life psycho dad's shoes is kinda part of his arc.

It's not a big thing and I'm looking forward to see what they do with his character. It just isn't how I imagined him while reading the book. But the show isn't the books so that's ok.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Goddamn, that's a fine looking lobby for a high security prison in Bumfuck, Nowhere. Everything looks way too nice for a planet that can barely provide basic material needs for its citizens.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Hitting the moon seems like a real trick shot compared to the Earth.

Yeah, considering that they used slow and very complicated trajectories with gravity assists for the asteroids, the error margins on their calculations might be just too high to reliably hit something so small. There is a lot of unpredictable factors like interactions with microasteroids or changes in sun activity that will produce acceleration of the asteroids and even tiny velocity changes can produce enormous changes in trajectory down the line, if they occur early enough.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Collateral posted:

I think it will result in a mass migration of humanity through the ring gates. Earth's population is going to be under pressure to gtfo. With the marco's gang predating them, earth military will have no other option but to hunt Marco down.

The Dream of Earth(depressing subsistence existence while drowning in sewage) is dead :(

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Who's Holden in the above?

I think it's Chad Coolman, the guy who plays Fred Johnson

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Is it ever addressed in the books\show why nobody other than the Mormons with the Nauvo ever tried reaching a different star using the epstein drive? the franchise kind of gives the impression that fuel is pretty much a non issue, a ship like the Roci can burn for the year or so it would take to make it to the ring and return, it seems like you could just stock it with enough 'fuel pellets' and point it towards proxima centauri and reach it within an acceptable amount of time, in that sense a generational ship like the Nauvo doesn't really make sense, a constant 1g burn would get the mormons as far as the Andromeda galaxy in several decades 'ship time'.

Just some nerd musings, sorry.

Can they get it to high relativistic speeds though? Even their semi magic fusion drives obey the rocket equation and that mormon death trap has an absolutely insane dry mass.

Regarding the Roci being able to do a 1g burn for an entire year, I wouldn't take any number in the show seriously. The 100kt explosion last episode is a good example that they don't really have a review process by technology literate people for the dialogue. And I don't remember if they ever discussed the fuel situation in the books in detail.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I think this entire discussion shows that timezones were a huge mistake and need to be abolished. China had it right.

e: we should all switch to swatch time anyway. 24h days are barbarism

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Defiance Industries posted:

Is swatch time code for "the four-corner simultaneous four-day rotation of Earth"

No, in the timecube model all four days occur simultaneously and they are all 24h. So when it's 10am where Jesus lived, it's also 10am where Socrates and Clinton's live. :eng101:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I don't understand marco's plan beside doing a revenge genocide on earth's working class for daring to be under the same boot as belters. He says belters can't settle on any of the ring worlds due to the gravity there, and the ones who did would cease to be belters. But he wants earth and mars restricted to their atmosphere and denied access to space because space should belong to belters. He just doesn't want anyone settling new planets, even belters. He just wants to spread low gravity space-based belter society through the ring gates and leave the planets unsettled?

The belt has a very similar problem as Mars. It lost its purpose and there is no real place for it in the post-ring economy anymore. It's a dying civilization. Everyone capable will settle on the new worlds and the rest will slowly wither away as jobs and investment in infrastructure continue to disappear, their quality of life decreases and their population shrinks to almost nothing. Marco tries to spin this process as a genocide and his actions as a fight against that genocide.

A real world analogy would maybe be something like the effects of urbanization on rural areas and the social strife that it creates. Most rural areas in the developed world are suffering from massive depopulation, decay of infrastructure and quality of life and the MAGA movements are partly an attempt to counter that development. They want to preserve dying rural industries like coal mining or fishing and stop socially progressive ideas and culture trends that make young people move to the cities. Marco is basically doing "Make the Belt great again"

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Just because it could be worse doesn't mean it's not dystopian. Just because the people running things aren't being intentionally evil doesn't mean it's not dystopian. A system where the vast majority of people are forced into a dull, boring existence unless they get that one in a million chance to work a normal rear end job (also you can't have basic reproductive rights) sounds pretty dystopian to me, regardless of how many people alive today would be OK with it.

It's not that simple. Earth's population is way beyond the planet's carrying capacity and the resulting lack of resources puts a hard limit on what kind of life quality a society can provide to its citizens. I mean, you can definitely improve the mean life quality by decreasing inequality, but it's never going to be particularly great with 30 billion people bumbling around on a ravaged ecosphere.

It's not even about the type of economic system. No matter the economic system, if you put the rest of the 15 billion people to work their increased activity will produces ecological side effects. If you increase their consumption, it will produce side effects. The only real way out is to decrease the population and the state is trying to work on that similarly to how Mars is working on their terraforming project.

Crazycryodude posted:

Earth and Mars suck up all the industrial metals and useful volatiles, but Mars exports a lot of high tech manufacturing and a navy from Space Raytheon, while Earth is the only truly functional biosphere humanity has (even with the damage from climate change) and exports huge amounts of organics to both Mars and the Belt.

Yeah, and that's where the Belt as the third world analogy breaks down. The Belt desperately needs Earth and Mars for its naked survival, but the inners don't need it anymore. This isn't really the same dynamic as what we have between the developed and developing world today.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I still don’t buy this because in TYOOL 2021 we still have people choosing to live in inhospitable hellscapes in the desert that have no source of water, 40+ degrees all day every day, and impossible to grow anything outside. These people chose to move there despite all of that, and they choose to live there still instead of the thousands of other cities that exist in conditions conducive to life.

I think it’s real dumb to assume that Mars would just be abandoned cause it’s basically the same thing.

Nobody is saying that Mars will be abandoned completely. Just that the Dream of Mars® is dead. Right now there is a massive societal collapse, the population is shrinking, there is massive brain drain, infrastructure is deteriorating and institutions experience rot and corruption and collapse, the terraforming project is dead, etc. It will make it through this collapse but what will come out at the other end will no longer be the super power from the beginning. It will be a small unimportant mining and research colony with a substantially smaller population.

I think the collapse of the Soviet Union is a good comparison. Total collapse of life as people knew it, a decade of hell and then existence as a mid level player.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Lamebot posted:

It could be the whole galaxy. Protogen dated Phoebe to 2 billion years old.

I assume the ring builders had the same problem as Marco with aiming the rocks(and that's why Pheobe never hit Earth/Mars/Venus). Long and complicated trajectories are just not practical. So instead of shooting at every star in the galaxy at once, they probably expanded in layers, launching rocks from newly networked frontier systems to the next closest unexplored ones using short and stable trajectories.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Collateral posted:

My only surprise in this situation is that they only sent one, why not send 10?

I guess it's more efficient to only send one if you assume that targets are effectively unlimited and interchangeable. Like, you can use 9 out of 10 rocks in your arsenal as mostly useless fail safes or you could just send them each at a separate target and have a much higher yield overall.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Wheeee posted:

Yea I've enjoyed this season but taken in the context of there only being twelve episodes remaining in the series it's not so good with pacing and setup, I'm kinda expecting the final season to be relatively rushed and unsatisfying.

Maybe it will ease you mind to know that there is no big suprise plot twist or reveal about aliens or something that they need to cram in. Books 5 and 6 are exclusively about the conflict we are watching right now and the show is almost at the half point. I don't see a reason why the last season would feel rushed.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Visual context:

I find the idea that humanity, hundreds of years into the future, will use some weird archaic north american measurement system in space ship engineering highly offensive and I definitely will be writing a sharply worded complain letter about this to my local representative

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Panderfringe posted:

That's exactly what we're heading toward, since they've got to wrap up so much plot in season 6. They took way too long to do anything at all this season, opting to save it for later.

11 episodes is more than enough to wrap everything up. We are almost at the half point of the story and they left out some stuff so there is a lot of room for show to breath.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Barreft posted:

Yeah that's fine for book readers, but I'm watching a show and knowing it's cut off 2/3rds into it's story. So I'm just bummed in general.

Whatever they say about books 7-9 in the future I don't give a poo poo, cause it probably won't happen, but mainly I'm invested in the Expanse tv show.

If this was as popular as GOT people would be furious you'd end the show after season 6. (in retrospect I wish they did).

It's not cut off. Books 6 finishes the story completely and in a satisfying way. Books 7-9 are a completely new story that is taking place 30 years later. It's not anymore cut off than TOS is cut off because it doesn't include TNG or Gremlins being cut off because it doesn't include Gremlins 2.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

The actors are really good for the most part. It's just Marco that sucks rear end. Just bring back David Straitharn to play Marco in season 6.

The problem with this is that Marco is intended to be a narcissist sociopath piece of poo poo. You are not supposed to like or respect him or his entire plot doesn't make much sense.

Like, I don't really feel the actor too, but it's not exactly a miscast. He's supposed to be like that. I think the real problem is that we get too much of him. Much more than in the books or than necessary.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I had no idea what was going on in these two space battles apart from a very vague sense of how it was going based on people's reactions. I might have some kind of sci fi space battle blindness

Also, I had a genuine laugh when they poochied Alex. I can't believe how bad that whole part was. He seems to have stroked out at 0g, which doesn't even make any sense

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Slashrat posted:

How is the Barkeith's disintegration described in the books? Not looking for plot spoilers, just additional insight into what happened there that that visual medium of the TV show doesn't communicate.

A distorted experience of consciousness where they feel the space between molecules and atoms and then something else being in the room with them, moving around

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

splifyphus posted:

No, it doesn't, because this is a work of fiction. It doesn't 'have to be' any which way, and it is the way it is because it's based off a D&D campaign that's been fleshed out by amateur writers who ran out of ideas and began recycling their own material.

Everything to do with Inaros is a mistep, and a lazy one at that. Oh no stealth rocks are headed for Earth - we've already done this. If you're going to write a new trilogy having a new story to tell is kind of a prerequisite, and they set themselves up with virtually infinite potential for new material and totally fumbled it.

e: Let's do an actual analysis. Class struggle in space is easy town frolics, it writes itself - because it's a story that's been generated by a social order that is itself defined by fundamental antagonisms of social interest. All you have to do is take actual history and put it in space - scifi is largely just this, from star trek to star wars and back again. Earth is USA, Mars is Soviets, the belt is the 'third world', ie; the global periphery. Yawn.

Now, class struggle irl is the opposite of pointless - it's extremely pointful and can't be escaped. The 'developed world', ie; the global core exploits the global periphery for its wealth and resources - it would take 6 earthlike planets and an additional 30 billion super-exploited peoples to give the currently existing population the 'lifestyles' enjoyed by the inhabitants of the core. This is obviously impossible, and calling this state of affairs a 'civilization' is a euphemism in appallingly bad taste.

Because the core has most of the resources, it generates the most leisure time and thereby the most art. For a writer to get published, he/she/it has to appeal to the audience that can afford the time/money to consume said writings. So the vast majority of what is published is going to be written from the perspective of the current winners of history, the middle and upper classes of the 'developed world', for their own perspective. For a writing to get filmed for television, the barrier to entry is even more strict. Film production is expensive, and the vast majority of it has to conform to hegemonic perspectives, narratives, and expectations just have a shot at the screen.

The middle and upper classes of the core like their burgers and SUVs and television and air conditioning and live under the most totalizing propaganda apparatus ever conceived, so they aren't really about anyone who might want to change this situation so that there might actually be like, a liveable future or any such thing. So when they consume literature generated by social antagonisms about social antagonisms, it's all gonna be written from one side of actually existing social antagonisms.

This is what Inaros is - an ridiculous exaggeration of real world interests opposed to the dominion of capitalism (also known as the 7th mass extinction event). He's not interested in making the belt politically or economically independent, he can't even spell the word 'autarchy', he has no concrete analysis of his conditions, he has no grand plan for new structures of social relations, he doesn't really give a gently caress about Belter liberation, his 'fleet' is partially composed of indentured unwilling participants, he doesn't even have that much of a mass base - he just wants to kill as many Earthers as possible as fast as he can. (This is not a 'genocide' - a genocide is ethnically targetted, Inaros is a specifically democidal maniac). So he does. Instantly and obvously this makes everything worse for everyone - the belt is defenceless except for the 'Free Fleet' and and isn't remotely self-sufficient.

No actual Belter revolutionary group would ever have done anything like this. It's ludicrous. A non-caricature, seriously organized group working from such an overwhelmingly underdog position would have used the threat of possible conflict to negotiate more equitable deals, a lasting peace and some level of Belter self-determination (or at this point in the narrative, focused its efforts on GTFOing to any one of the thousands of new explicitly habitable systems available, where the fun and cool stories are) - not hosed the entire sol system up the rear end with a big rock. Not even Stalin or Mao ever set out to do anything this deranged. You don't build a new future by burning everything down.

This is an absurd cartoon of actual world history, obviously based on the absurd cartoon of propagandistic bullshit the USA tells itself about its own history. ANARCHISTS BAD, CAPITAL GOOD, SHUT UP AND WATCH YOUR SHOW WAGE SLAVE. Marco Inaros is Jeff Bezos jizzing into your gaping credulous eye sockets when you could be doing your goddamn homework.

:wtc:

Yeah, when the insane rambling manifestos start to come in tviv, it's time to unsubscribe. See ya'll all next season

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

This is such a weird scene in general.

"This is how we win!"

*the apocalyptic corpse of the planet Earth looms in the background*

Yeah, it was a really weird scene that would have made some sense with plot structure in the book but was very out of place in the show. By that point in the book the Mars fleet had already rebelled, Earth fleet was mostly stuck in earth orbit to shoot down stealth asteroids and Marco was wreaking havoc on the limited forces in the belt through guerilla tactics. The outcome of the war was actually in question. In the show the astroid impacts were relatively harmless, earth is protected by satellites, the Mars fleet is intact and Marco holds absolutely no territory.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Dalael posted:

Earth's had 3 rocks lobbed at it and the show makes it pretty clear that things are going downhill on that blue dot. Mars' fleet is half being cut up, while the other half can't be trusted. Every now and then they mention that earth's fleet is getting its rear end kicked in the belt. I feel like the shows conveys exactly what you're saying. My only issues when it comes to earth is it doesn't look devastated enough imho.

I guess. I think it's time to accept that the show went its own way with this whole plot. In the books the meeting on Luna is like the 1st Washington conference, in the show they are more like a post 9/11 strategy meeting.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

It doesn't make much economic sense to look for megadeath asteroids cause they come around so rarely. You could have all that investment sitting around for hundreds of years doing nothing and even when you actually use it, it's only once and then it sits around for another hundred years doing nothing. There are much better investments around :hmmyes:

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know who Bill McConkey is but he doesn't seem to have ever actually watched Prometheus(nor the sequel), which is a common trend with people who develop a pathological hate of Prometheus

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

also, we're gonna get rid of all technology so we don't repeat our mistakes! oops, what happened to our antibiotics?

In the greater scheme of things it gave humanity another ~10k years of existence before climate change, nuclear war and the machine uprising wipes it out forever so I guess it wasn't such a bad decision in the end

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Earth is just horribly mismanaged. Mars provides a much higher living standard per capita with substantially less resources. So they might be able to keep a puppet regime in power with the promise of moving earth to more sustainable infrastructure and improve living conditions this way. The regime itself would be kept in line by the looming threat of orbital bombardment :hai:

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

You'd think that Basic would at least result in an explosion of art, music, and literature with billions of people literally idle but the introduction of the Canterbury features a funky space instrumental cover of Rod Stewart's Do Ya Think I'm Sexy soooooo

Local art or for personal expression, yeah, but in term of mass art we are pretty much already producing more than we can possibly consume(hence the fierce competition on the market). There is just a very hard limit to how much art a human can consume per day. Most of the music and literature produced today is already either never experienced by anyone or by a very small number of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Mu Zeta posted:

Earth should consider a genophage to cut down on the population for a few generations.

Mars demonstrates that population isn't really the problem. I assume the underclass is running around in recycled paper clothes because the planet has been ravaged by climate change and the opportunities for growing cotton are limited and synthetic fibre production is carbon intensive and needs expensive infrastructure to offset the emissions. These are all problems that can be solved with capital investment in infrastructure. And capital is clearly available, it's just stuck dicking around in the luxury economy and wasted on building space yachts for Jules Pierre Mao. :guillotine:

e: if mars can provide good living conditions for billions of people on a dead rock it's not a problem on earth

GABA ghoul fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jun 26, 2021