Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.
It's also possible that whatever they're using for radiation shielding on ships isn't perfect.

It might be good enough in most cases, this being a setting where cancer is curable, but still leak through enough radiation to be a danger to especially fragile life, infants, saplings, etc, but a magnetosphere helps covering the gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I just want to feel like Holden, littering my surroundings with MCRN branded coffee cups.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

SpookyLizard posted:

No? Am I supposed to take every accusation as factual poof? All I've seen posted is hearsay about it. I'll condemn the dude if he gets convicted of something, but people talking on twitter does not meet anything resembling a burden of proof.
:frogout:

T-man posted:

I'm calling SpookyLizard a jerk who enjoys the smell of their own farts and huff their farts everyday

My evidence is this SA post, everyone agree with me without an actual charge in a court about SL's fart smelling.
:agreed:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

Look as a Stargate fan, just bring in Ben Browder or Claudia Black to replace Alex.
As a fan of Stargate, Farscape, and Claudia Black in general, I'm 100% down with replacing Alex with her.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Organic Lube User posted:

If you think about it, her role as a former goa'uld host on Stargate had trans vibes, sorta like the Trill from Star Trek.
Though I'm not sure I want to explore the further implications of goa'uld removal - conversion therapy?
The Goa'uld themselves are non-binary. :eng101:

Many seem to have a preference for host gender though, but for example Selmak use the same pronouns as their host. She/her with the first host we're shown, and he/his after they blend with Jacob Carter.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Jack2142 posted:

Well the list now stands at 24, we need 8 more suggestions before we can do an incredibly stupid march madness bracket to replace Alex on the Expanse.
Boomer/Athena were decent enough pilots, replace Alex with Grace Park.

Amanda Tapping, still playing Sam Carter.

Robert Picardo as Emergency Piloting Hologram.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

Turn Alex into a sex pest and have everyone dunking on him the entire time would be a bold move, I’ll give you that. Humiliation as community service sounds a bit like a black mirror episode tho.

You know, I'd be down with that.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Interstellar is a dumb movie that's that's trying really hard to pretend that it's clever.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Captain Splendid posted:

I just realised that if Alex were suddenly played by Taika Waititi it wouldn't be jarring for me
Best suggestion yet

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Explosive decompression isn't that big a problem and it would take a long time for ships that size to lose significant air. Preventing fire would be the main reason to vent the ship before combat.
Explosive decompression is a non-issue, yeah.
Aside from fire prevention, other big (probably biggest) reason to depressurise is to prevent air leaks acting as unwanted RCS thrusters.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It's an easy fix.

:sickos:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Beaten, but here's an extra video

https://youtu.be/UvUd4D3pjlU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Just finished the episode and :tviv:

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Pattonesque posted:

lol just recast him and have someone go "wow Alex, you look different" and have nu-Alex go "I know!" and then never mention it again

pik_d posted:

Well if Avasarala doesn't get a reply to all those messages to Arjun, that might mean Michael Benyaer is free to take over as Alex.

The combination of these posts is exactly what they should do.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I love the Pella's design.

It looks like a baby Donnager :kimchi:

Which also instantly sells it as a Martian cruiser.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I really can’t stand Philip or Naomi’s story. I can’t stand Philip because he’s a stupid 16 year old teenager or whatever who just stands there with the same expression throughout the entire episode.

I can’t stand Naomi’s story because it’s just so boring and I can’t empathize with her at all. She’s yelling “JUST LISTEN TO ME” and I’m like why should he?
Yeah same.
Like, lady what the gently caress did you expect?
That your son you haven't seen for 15 years or w/e would believe you over the man who raised him just because you said so.
She doesn't even try to convince him. She just expects him to go along with her because she knows she's right and she's his mother.

Bobbie's "the time to fix this was 10 years ago, you idiot" applies to Naomi even more than it does Alex.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Dec 24, 2020

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

TraderStav posted:

I’d like more of this please.
The Regimental Standard is sort of like this.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

withak posted:

With all due respect, many of those costs would be incurred whether the Emperor's warship was wrangling weaponized rocks or bombarding an entirely different planet. Presumably the Emperor finds it prudent to feed His crews and maintain His warships regardless of what kind of activities they are undertaking on His behalf.
Food is included in the second part too.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

And a biosphere with a massive width.
The newly settled planets have a much smaller biodiversity (that is useful, or even just hospitable to human life) because the settlers obviously didn't bring 300 kinds of crops to plant.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

A Belter was talking about that, yeah. Mars rotates at nearly the same rate as Earth (a day is IIRC 24 hours 31 minutes, which is called a sol) so the time there would be roughly the same.

Almost. 24hr 37min.
A mars year incidentally is 687 earth days, or 668.6 mars days.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

Murtry was a fantastic antagonist up until he decided he had to chase down Holden for some reason.

He just wanted to talk about a post office.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Marco is the shittiest villain yet, yes. But shittiest written one, nah.

He's obviously a huge dumbass that's full of poo poo and high on his own farts.
I'd say is rather well written, cast, and acted, because you hate his dumb mug 10 seconds into his first appearance.

And I'm not a book reader so I'm not extrapolating any future knowledge here either.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

It occurred to me in that scene, and in the scene where she cried and none of it ran that it could be tattoos. We've never scene her without it have we?
I suggested the exact same thing to my fiancée when we watched the episode.

Drummer seems like exactly the kind of person who'd get that eyeshadow as a cosmetic tattoo.
Practical, she won't have to apply it every morning.
Economical, because God knows how much eyeshadow product she'd burn though in a year otherwise.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Yeah a core dump the contents of the reactor, not the reactor itself. Just the big ball of plasma.

You can restart the reactor just fine, but you have to put in new fuel pellets and reinitialise, which takes a while. Reactor start-up is already in progress on the Roci when Holden get Naomi's call, and the on screen checklist is like only three quarters finished when he hits the stop button.

There's probably a bunch of extra safety checks after a core dump too, to make sure you didn't damage anything with the venting plasma.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

T-man posted:

monkeys do not belong in space

Sounds like you just want to keep the Earthers on Earth.

I'm on to you Marco

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

"Coffee makers on the fritz again. Better strip down naked and fix it."
Username/post combo.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Pretty sure all of Roci's torpedoes have blue exhaust.
I don't think blue exhaust necessarily means epstien drive.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

they're clearly passing through wraithgates into the webway, dude

In that case, shouldn't Event Horizon take place soon?

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Pastor Anna has been taking piloting lessons. She's going to be the new Alex

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

We know that she injected herself with the super oxygen after about 15 seconds to not pass out. It can't have been earlier than halfway, or she would have passed out before getting to the airlock.

That's 30 seconds. She bumped into the hull with what looked like the velocity of briskly walking, or maybe running into a wall.
So, let's say 3, maybe 4 m/s. That would make the distance somewhere around a hundred meters.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

I still don't agree that orbital mechanics won't apply at all to an epstein drive unless it's literal magic, but I do concede the .3 G is doable as long as you can plot a course that it works for.
It sounds like you're thinking of Hohmann transfer orbits, which is how you do it in KSP. That's more or less the only way to do it with the engines we have today that are either high thrust and low efficiency (chemical rockets) or high efficiency and abysmal thurst (ion engines etc)

If you have a high thrust, high efficiency engine (which is what the fictional torch drive is) you can start using Brachistochrone trajectories instead.
Here's a video explaining how trajectories like that work, using KSP:
https://youtu.be/toMnjO8aJDI

You may also want to hear about the nuclear salt water rocket, which is the closest maybe workable concept to a real life epstien drive:
https://youtu.be/cvZjhWE-3zM

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Thanks for the links! I've always been interested in space and read a lot of books about NASA missions, but now that I've spent an ungodly number of hours in Kerbal recently, this might make more sense to me.
I'm exactly the same. KSP has done an excellent job of teaching the often counterintuitive orbital mechanics to people.
I'd recommend checking out more of Scott Manley's videos if you're interested in space and space stuff.
He doesn't post all that much, but he's a goon, illectro.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

That's cool. I don't know how that works, but it's still cool.
Some ships in Mass Effect works the same way.
The Normandy can project an artificial gravity well in front of it, that it falls towards constantly. They use it to be able to move in stealth mode without drive plumes to give the position away.

Presumably the Reapers use the same method to move since they don't have any visible conventional engines.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Slashrat posted:

I think the Normandy (And Mass Effect ships in general) actually uses some form of the Alcubierre Drive for FTL, which is a RL FTL concept that would in theory be possible if materials with a negative mass could be obtained/created. Element Zero in the ME universe is explicitly stated to be capable of reducing the mass of something to a negative value.
The FTL works by nullifying mass, yeah.
But what I was talking about was that the Normandy can use its element zero core for sublight movement too, in order to not have a detectible drive plume.

Mass Effect stealth ships are otherwise basically exactly the same as in the Expanse. Hull that doesn't reflect radar or ladar, internal heat sinks and refrigerated outer hull to not have a visible thermal signature.

E:

Nerd Wiki posted:

The Normandy's IES (internal emission sink) stealth system is her most notable feature. For centuries, it was assumed that starship stealth was impossible. The heat generated by routine shipboard operations is easily detectable against the near absolute zero background temperature of space. The Normandy, however, is able to temporarily "store" this heat in lithium heat sinks deep within the hull.
The IES stealth system has a few limitations: The system doesn't work during FTL flight because this blue-shifts the Normandy's emissions beyond the sinks' ability to store, and even while out of FTL, any visual scan (i.e. looking out of a window) will reveal her. However, this is rare since most ships rely on scanners rather than visual contact and spotting another ship in space is difficult. The Normandy can go to 'silent running' for around 2-3 hours, or drift passively through a system for days before having to vent and give away her position. The stored heat must eventually be radiated, or it will build up to levels capable of cooking the crew alive.

The stealth system is powered by an experimental piece of equipment called the Tantalus Drive Core which is, proportionally, about twice the size of any other ship's core - Tali'Zorah nar Rayya is fascinated with how the Alliance managed to fit it into such a compact vessel. Joker mentions the oversized drive core affects the Normandy's balance, but it's nothing he can't handle. The Tantalus drive generates mass concentrations that the Normandy "falls into", allowing her to move without the use of heat-emitting thrusters. The core not only makes the Normandy quiet and fast, but also means she can run at FTL speed for much longer before having to discharge the drive.

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 24, 2021

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't think this season totally works either but...

...is this a meme?

I think they're just an idiot.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

I think the one thing they could've done to make Alex's death scene work better, without inviting the sex pest back for reshoots, would have been to use the same brain damage warning popup from when Bobbie and Avasarala tried to outrun a torpedo in the razorback.

Reuse the same graphic, colour in a little more red.
Maybe a flashing CONDITION CRITICAL text overlay or something.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Spacedock also did a video about sci-fi ship classes to clear up any confusion:
https://youtu.be/jHbxdbiMopg

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

gfarrell80 posted:

I second this. Battlecruiser is obsolete though (or a subtype of cruiser), just simplify to
Battleship is an even more obsolete term than battlecruiser.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

Except the creepy uncle, we don't talk about him.

Okay, so I started playing Dues Ex and i cannot not hear the guy from season 1 every time the main character talks.
Would you say that you didn't ask for this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

The Expanse easily took BSG's crown for best sci-fi show ever, in my books.
Best ever isn't either of those. It's Babylon 5. :colbert: