Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

everydayfalls posted:

I will say something that kept bugging me through the episode was the amount of random poo poo sitting on tables.

loving lol at Monica leaving rhat coffee just sitting on the table when they find the Zmeya followed by Holden promptly announcing "AIGHT EVERYONE PREPARE FOR HIGH G BURN" right after. The galley is gonna be destroyed.

Also damnit we're in this multicultural language hodgepodge space future and aint nobody who can pronounce Russian consonant clusters properly. There's no vowel between that Z and M!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
All this talk about nu-Arjun and nobody's brought up the pro move: with Arjun dead because rocks, his actor is freed up to replace Cas!

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

I was rather confused by Naomi struggling with the grate and it falling back down. The ship... isn't under power, is it? The drive sure as hell wasn't burning at the end of ep7.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Centrist Committee posted:

Only read the first three books, do the rest of the books explore the ring universe/protomolecule story further or do they too turn inward and end with a war? My biggest disappointment with S5 was how the series built such an expansive universe but then seemingly dropped it for character studies and political allegory.

space politics is a very important part of the books after what's covered in the TV series, but there's plenty of weird protomolecule bullshit and trying to investigate the alien history whatnot, versus the Marco storyline having basically none

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

everydayfalls posted:

The following is speculation with no book knowledge, spoilers because the episode is less than 24 hours old

But the kids escape and go on to be plucky resistance fighters.

ambiguous book poo poo: this is not at all what happens

Penitent posted:

Season 1 was rough around the edges but Miller's time on Ceres was very charming and a highlight and I find that I'm nostalgic for it.

s1 ceres did a lot more to feel like a weird space station environment. we haven't had anything like the low-g drink pour, and there was dramatic tension in the scenes as well. all we've seen this season is filip be angry horny in generic concrete rooms.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Sab Sabbington posted:

Specifically the episode involving Naomi spacing herself and her trying to warn Alex and Bobbie, but especially the initial spacing and the final sequence where she throws herself out again to physically signal that the ship she was on was a trap.

this is basically the only thing i remember from s5, cause that ep was just that good

well, that and amos' "let me get naked to show im not a threat" bit, and the subsequent less-good speed clarissa

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

having not read strange dogs, i very much misread the opening the first time around, thinking "wait, what, did the dogs... kill xan offscreen somehow? why?"

i am extremely oblivious to basic foreshadowing

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

tokin opposition posted:

the reason they're x-rays instead of end credits scenes is to gently caress with pirates

but also half the viewer base

also the pirates can just dl the additional vid and tack it on the end lol, hiding the link in xray doesn't prevent you from ripping it same as the main thing

edit: figure i'll also complain about prime having the most dogshit encodes for non-blessed devices of any service. poo poo's nigh-unwatchable if you run linux. that'd be... maybe expected in like 2009 but idk, netflix and hbo manage to stream proper HD to linux nowadays fine, idk why amazon can't. naturally this does nothing to stop the rippers, who have hacked HDCP keys and just decrypt the stream on trusted devices fine.

Qtotonibudinibudet fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Dec 28, 2021

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Tighclops posted:

What distro are you running? I'm on mint and I'm wondering if that's why I missed all of this stuff. Thanks everyone for pointing me on the right direction though!

arch though im p sure i can still access the xray clips (i can see the rest of xray so i don't see why not), i just havent bothered. you maybe just missed them because, as oft mentioned, the whole ui concept of randomly mouse over the screen to find extra scenes where you'd normally just find actor names is stupid af

im talking about how watching vids on prime without some device that meets amazon's (apparently more stringent than other providers') DRM capability requirements gets you a pure rear end encode, with giant blocky mpeg artifacts everywhere. pirated episodes are pristine clear HD.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

gfarrell80 posted:

\
Another kind of lazy thing that's bothered me in this season is the shoe-horning in of old fan favorites via short video. We got a clip of Anna (remember her!), and we got a short clip of Prax (remember him!), and this last ep a short clip of Dr. Okeye (remember her!). I loved Dr. Okeye and Prax as characters, they were very strong (Anna was solid too, but not as awesome as Prax and Okeye), but shoe-horning them in like this makes The Expanse universe feel small and reeks of unnecessary fan service. And it is also selective. We got no followup on our S4 belter family, and no followup on the S4 belter mining leader on Illus. Did Ava honor their claim? (probably nope!)

IIRC this is all stuff pulled from the books. The show just has less time to do it justice.

I forget about Prax after the Mei storyline, but I think his plant magic is legit. Anna is a major PoV character for showing the post-rocks Earth devastation, and Elvi PoV chapters explain like all the lore in books 7-9.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

thread title: The Expanse S6: You duplicitous little poo poo

i love Marco Inaros dying in what looks like a Pepsi ad. consumed by flavor.

Amos rocket chair landing on the station composite shot looked a bit silly, but w/e, final battle was good.

VagueRant posted:

Real dick move that Filip didn't get his pal out of the brig when he ran.

wasn't he back on the bridge during the fight, but got shot?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Bedshaped posted:

I wouldn't take out Laconia but I also wouldn't have centred everything on the girl's perspective. Focus on the general civilian life under martial rule and use the orbiting space ship to generate maximum sequel hype.

the books are perspective novels, that's how they work. they show things from the perspective of individual characters.

the Cara/Xan stuff is the only Laconia stuff they could have shown without going into the later books without inventing new content out of whole cloth, which probably wouldn't really be that interesting anyway--there's no reason to just do meandering world-building for a world you may not ever use. the Cara/Xan story is a succinct, self-contained plot that does take place there and allows them to show some brief hints about the other major characters in later books, and (minor) for bonus points it's still relevant to stuff that happens in the later books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

General Battuta posted:

There was a cutaway view at one point with a fuel pellet being fed into some kind of laser ignition setup I think.

e: dropping a new page on the inners

s4 had this when Ilus' planetary defenses decided to disable fusion, so there was just a big ball that inconclusively whacked into another ball

one of the finer Expanse "see? SCIENCE!" moments