Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What’s up with the download quality on Amazon Prime? I have it set to “Best” and episode 1 is showing only 300 MB. All 10 episodes are only 2.something GB as well. What is this 480p??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is the significance of lithium? The only thing I can think of is batteries but why do you need batteries if you can build fusion reactors?

Episode 10 spoilers:

I thought it was super dumb that the whole plan to get the big bad terrorist was to send 3 guys in vs an entire ship.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

why the gently caress are people still posting book spoilers ffs

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Not sure what episode so let's just say full season but it happened near the beginning:

Am I misremembering or did the Roci blow up one of those "moon" defense platforms with their new railgun right before they landed onto Ilus? If so why didn't it blow them up in defense and if not, isn't it an extremely dumb idea to blow up a moon like that because of all the debris?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

OK, thanks.

Something else I was wondering, in the later episodes we see multiple moons of Ilus have the same crescent shapes/shadows. Is it physically possible for this to happen with one sun?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Evernoob posted:

Remember that if they try to show something as scientifically accurate as possible, it may come over as weird and wrong to most people. Best example was when they jettisoned someone out of the airlock from a rotating station.... that looked awkward as hell.

What scene was that?

And yeah I agree, was mainly curious if it was possible.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don’t understand why Mars would be abandoned just because other planets exist. Europe didn’t get abandoned because America was discovered. We built and continue to build cities in inhospitable hellholes like Las Vegas and Dubai. I see no reason why they wouldn’t keep terraforming Mars.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

The only reason to keep it up would be cultural pride. If there are 1300+ habitable planets, and your children's children will be old by the time the terraforming is complete, why stick around? In real life we have a hard time doing any big project that lasts longer than an election cycle.

Why do people still live in places like Venice or like half of the Netherlands where clearly we weren’t meant to live because it’s all underwater? Places like Phoenix that have no natural water sources? Parts of Russia that average below freezing temperatures? Why do we have people living in Antarctica where they can’t even grow food? Or hell, why did we build a space station where we can’t even survive long term?

The fact that Mars is there means that it’s never going to be abandoned. The government may change (ie Ancient Rome) but we are just going to keep building (modern Rome).

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think it was that mars would be abandoned, more that every top scientist and engineer would see that the groundbreaking stuff on Mars was mostly done and the real deal poo poo was out through the ring gate. On Mars, terraforming is an ongoing project and you probably don't get much say in what happens. But if you go through the ring gate and you go from being #10,035 engineer to being #1 or even being #20, you're now making your own decisions and you get to shape what that colony will look like.

I don't think the idea that Mars is dying is correct. If they don't innovate, then yeah, people will flee mars for the unknown, the military will wind down, and they will end up as a mini Earth with a bunch of people on basic and no way to give them a better life. But Mars could easily be a staging ground for colonies. Convert from making military ships to Colony ships. Recruit people from basic on Earth to go to Mars to train to be a colonist. Bring people in, train them how to live on a new planet, and send them out.

You’re assuming that every single person out there is driven to push boundaries to be #1. There are tons of people out there who are happy being Employee #12373 in Major Corporation because they are paid well enough to have a nice and stress free life with the time to spend with people they care about. Not everyone is driven to climb to 6+ figure salaries and just want a nice living. Basically all my friends who are engineers, me included, are like this.

E: You guys realize that people taking a lower paying but “easier” job is a thing right? That to a ton of people a job is just a thing they do to earn the money to do the things they actually want to do right?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 22, 2019

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Amos' contacts and schedule :laffo:

Who is Cap'n and Boss? I mean I'm guessing Holden is Cap'n so who's Boss?

e: It's Naomi? She's the only one not on there and wasn't there a scene in the first season where he turned to her to ask for permission to kill Holden?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Beardcrumb posted:

Klaes Ashford is his full name. Was mentioned a few times but easy to miss.

Yeah the husband switch up confused for a bit too. Don't like the new fella anywhere near as much.

It’s mentioned at the very least in the finale or episode before it. The part where Ashford is introduced to Marco’s/Naomi’s son. Marco says “this is Klaes Ashford, traitor to the belt.”

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

swickles posted:

I liked how the one soldier realized the implication of Bobby being there and the other did not. "She could force feed you that gun if she wanted to"

So I'm doing a rewatch at the moment and this is something that has always stood out to me. They make it seem like the people in Bobby's role (special forces marine?) are hardcore best of the best soldiers, easily capable of murdering you with their hands tied behind their backs. There's the comment you posted and iirc in the newest season one of the cops interviewing Bobby made a similar comment, and I feel like there were others as well.

Is this characterization correct? Are all the martian marines who wear the same armor that Bobby wears suppose to be elite special ops people? Because I feel like that level of badassery has never been shown before.

Or did the guy that was rescued say that because him and the other 2 martians are presumably desk-bound soldiers/people who would have learned how to shoot a gun at best?

Another question, the visions of Julie that Miller sees in Season 2. Do we know if those are just hallucinations, or is it the protomolecule playing around with things to talk to Miller, like how protomolecule-Miller will eventually do with Holden?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

Turn Alex into a sex pest and have everyone dunking on him the entire time would be a bold move, I’ll give you that. Humiliation as community service sounds a bit like a black mirror episode tho.

TommyGun85 posted:

The character and the actor are not the same person.

In this season 4 promo video the cast was asked which character is most like their actor, and the answer was unanimously and without hesitation Cas/Alex. So about that…

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Eiba posted:

Holy poo poo, I had no idea they were doing a Foundation TV series. Jared Harris is going to be amazing in the role they cast him in. That's amazing.

And I would just be hyped if it had just been a trailer. What the gently caress was that random guy at the beginning saying about Apple? Is there a more appropriate place to discuss this "trailer," because that one sentence was the most jarring bit of anti-hype I have ever experienced and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

This video was shown at Apple’s WWDC 2020 event. They were promoting their streaming service Apple TV+ with this first-look promotional video.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Will this be all released December 16 or is it gonna get The Boys weekly treatment?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

drat it my Amazon prime trial ended.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I really can’t stand Philip or Naomi’s story. I can’t stand Philip because he’s a stupid 16 year old teenager or whatever who just stands there with the same expression throughout the entire episode.

I can’t stand Naomi’s story because it’s just so boring and I can’t empathize with her at all. She’s yelling “JUST LISTEN TO ME” and I’m like why should he?

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The setup for the rock drop in S1E1 is just so cool. The slowest burn...

Also, it's a good think Esp didn't see all of this kinkshaming: TVIV is very horny. :c00lbert:

Did any non-book readers see the rock drop coming? TV tropes generally prevent stuff like that from happening, and they seemed to go hard towards Avasarala stopping it at the last minute only to be foiled.

Did anyone who didn't know see it coming? Or the other two?

Last season they straight up showed a hologram of asteroids lining up to hit earth, and Marco stealing stealth tech to put on asteroids before launching them was a pretty big plot point, and Ashford asked Marco why he was throwing rocks at the belt and he said he wasn’t, and they also played that same conversation in the episode Drummer and her crew board Ashford’s ship.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Except that the smart people in charge did recognize that a pandemic could come at any time and put in place various plans to combat it should it come.

Sure you look out the window (assuming you’re in the US or whatever) and see everything is burning but that’s because the current rear end in a top hat in office decided to just throw out the carefully crafted response plan out the window because lol gently caress you he knows more about pandemics than anyone and all the doctors said “sir you should teach us” and then sat on his rear end and did nothing while inciting his cult into actively sabotaging all efforts to contain COVID.

Meanwhile Taiwan just reported their first case since April as of yesterday according to my news feed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

This is ahistorical and delusional. The “carefully crafted response plan” from the incoming President is federally mandated superspreader events by reopening schools after maybe vaccinating less than a third of the country. The terrible state of labor rights, the brutal austerity fetishism, and the insistence on denying healthcare to poor people by any means necessary are what led to the current nightmare we’re going through.

The “smart people in charge” you are referring to are even more right wing than the “conservatives” in the UK, and we’ve seen what a disaster their pandemic response has been.

I’m not talking about the incoming president, I’m talking about the plan the former president put up that the current president decided to poo poo all over all while inciting his cult to go out and do the exact opposite of what authorities like the WHO and NIH etc said to do because it’s simultaneously a hoax, a deep state conspiracy to take away people’s “freedoms,” and also a bio attack from China.

The UK response was initially lol some people are just going to have to die until here immunity is achieved.

Taiwan on the other hand recognized the threat and danger before the majority of the world even heard of the word coronavirus and took the appropriate steps and essentially stomped it out, all without having to literally weld people’s doors shut to prevent them from leaving.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Right. That's why you have weapons. Most asteroids are useless for it too, they'd fall apart if you pushed on them.

As an improvised weapon for asymmetrical warfare, there's a case to make. As a weapon for a military that can just manufacture fusion warheads? Waste of time.

Marco's been wanting to strike the inners forever. He's had plots going for years and years, he was already blowing up ships with Naomi as a teenager. The gates finally gave him the chance to do it for real.

They also specifically mention the Inaros faction in S1, the name just didn't mean anything if you didn't know the books.

Which episode was that in S1? I’m researching 101 right now and in that scene Avrasarala says “radical faction of the OPA.”

Is there a podcast that goes through each episode and talk about it within the context of the books? In the S4 thread someone did a wink wink nudge nudge thing about the admiral’s name being on the screen for 2 seconds and I googled him cause I wasn’t sure if we met him yet or not and well, the results page told me a bit more than I bargained for. I just said f it and googled everything else but it’s been a while.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 24, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

I believe it's the first one where Dawes is meeting with a bunch of OPA people. It's not in that first episode, it's just an offhand mention later on.

I’ll keep an eye out for it then. Just doing a rewatch with it in the background for some ambient noise.

Another question but from 102, when Holden and Amos are out on the disabled ship repairing the antenna tower, Holden lets go of his wrench and it flies off into space. I’m not a space physicist or anything but shouldn’t the wrench have just floated there in place?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

everydayfalls posted:

They where accelerating, the magic engines of the setting means they spend a lot of the time either accelerating or decelerating. Which from the frame of reference of a person standing on the hull is the same thing.

I thought the ship was completely disabled and thus not accelerating but I just watched it again and Alex did mention they had fuel to get part way to a station.

T-man posted:

they abolished time

Didn’t they mention something about how Mars (or maybe it was the Belt , idk) still base their time on Earth hours or something? Not sure which season this would have been.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

But isn’t UN military command on Luna or something? There seems to be a ton of uniformed people hanging around. If I were Marco I’d have tossed a few at the moon too because (1) why not and (2) i should probably knock out as much of the military structure as I can on my opening salvo.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

TraderStav posted:

Next you're going to tell me velocity doesn't need to specify a direction.

But pounds are literally units of force in scientific usage.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

piL posted:

She doesn't have to go hard. Free Navy can take port at neutral stations and if Earth wants to fight back at all, they can't help but endanger the undeclared. Same tactics of the IRA, Taliban and the American Revolution.

Edit: I predict everything will spin out of control for Inaros due to protomolecule complications and once he's out of the picture things slowly disintegrate.

If you’re supposedly neutral and you let one side take shelter then you’re no longer neutral. You just took a side.

MiddleOne posted:

No this is as squarely 9/11 as it gets. Using a massively violent and de-stabilising, but ultimately not very meaningful, mass terror attack to maybe dissuade foreign powers from coming over. Even the whole 'we have shown how capable we are and now they'll think twice'-shtick is firmly in Bin Laden territory.

How is knocking out the entire UN chain of command “not very meaningful?”

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Lt. Calley, you're too old to be posting here.

I have no idea what this means.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

piL posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%E1%BB%B9_Lai_massacre

Edit: trigger warning corpses on that Wikipedia article

I'm not saying the UN should do a war crime. I'm saying that if Tycho Station (which afaik is neutral or at least not Free Navy) leadership started letting Free Navy ships dock and repair, resupply, arm, and so on, then how can you still say that Tycho is still neutral? At best they are opportunistic money makers, at worse they are a part of the Free Navy. The Free Navy ships docked at Tycho should absolutely be bombed, and the station itself should be blockaded with supplies and weapons seized. The UN should not just nuke the entire station or set boots on the ground and start rounding everyone up into airlocks, but the Station as an entity has declared which side of the war they are on by allowing the Free Navy to stage their attacks from there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

BrotherJayne posted:

... Tycho doesn't let the Free Navy dock

And Tycho isnt neutral, they're Fred OPA

dyzzy posted:

The latest episode even has a plotline where in Marco's ship doesn't dock with Tycho :haw:

I know this. I was responding in the context of this original post:

piL posted:

She doesn't have to go hard. Free Navy can take port at neutral stations and if Earth wants to fight back at all, they can't help but endanger the undeclared. Same tactics of the IRA, Taliban and the American Revolution.

Edit: I predict everything will spin out of control for Inaros due to protomolecule complications and once he's out of the picture things slowly disintegrate.

If Tycho were to suddenly let Free Navy dock and use it as a staging ground/command center then Tycho is no longer neutral. I have no idea why people started talking about doing war crimes.

(I used Tycho as an example cause I’m pretty sure they’re not Free Navy, and I can’t remember any other station names that would be considered neutral.)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 26, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

What the hell are people supposed to do if the Free Navy shows up and says "we're docking now, gently caress you, try and stop us if you don't like it"? Obviously you can't fight him and his surplus Martian cruiser off, but you also can't fight off the real Martians who are gonna come bomb the poo poo out of you too, and after a few months of reprisals from the Inners for "aiding and abetting" terrorists Marco stops having to "ask" because everyone hates the Inners again. You can't stomp out an insurgency by just throwing more force at it, that usually makes them worse if it does anything at all.

Being taken over through force/threats is different from saying "hey Free Navy people, we have some space for your ships to dock and we'll give you discounts on supplies and weapons." The former makes them a pow/hostage like situation, the latter is taking sides.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

He’s boring as gently caress, his plan makes no sense, and the acting is really lacking. The way his character is written is very much doing the tell, not show style of storytelling. I’m suppose to think of him as this big bad dude based on what we’ve been told but from what we’ve been shown his reputation is unearned.

Plus we get Philip in his scenes and that guy is even worse.

E: And like, after a season of protomolecule alien stuff I don’t really give a poo poo about Inner vs Belter conflict. I guess that’s a big part of it. I want to know more about what’s happening beyond the ring, to continue last season’s story. Instead, it looks like we’re getting a season of belter and inner tension going up once again.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 28, 2020

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's fine if you don't like him, it's ridiculous and stupid to use such aggressively hyperbolic and extreme language about it.

I’m not that OP but what the gently caress is this condescending bullshit? I’ll use whatever language I want.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

Eyeliner/makeup tattoos are a thing irl apparently

It’s called “permanent makeup” and you can google for “permanent makeup” + [city] to look up clinics that do it. Here’s a
random place that shows up first for NYC
for example. One of my friends has eyeliner tattooed.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Wait who is complaining?? And how is midnight a sensible/ideal release time for anyone???? This is so confusing.

A show that airs 8pm Wednesday EST won’t be available for Europe until Thursday. This show airing at 12am Wednesday UTC means Europeans can watch it Wednesday. Small difference but it’s a welcome change.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Delekhan posted:

Yeah, and this tweet by James S.A. Corey confirms it:

https://twitter.com/JamesSACorey/status/1344084784142721026

What does the Roci leaving imply for her? I get that the Roci would have blown up. Would she have died in the explosion too meaning she was about to warn Holden because she’d explode too but decided her death was worth it for the cause? Or was she having second thoughts about killing Holden?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Are all belters 6+ ft tall (in the books)?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

pik_d posted:

There's now 1300 new solar systems within reach, most of which have planets that people (who are used to living in a gravity well) can go and walk around without an oxygen supply.

The entire point of people going to and living on Mars was to make a second habitable planet for humans, now there's hundreds.

I still don’t buy this because in TYOOL 2021 we still have people choosing to live in inhospitable hellscapes in the desert that have no source of water, 40+ degrees all day every day, and impossible to grow anything outside. These people chose to move there despite all of that, and they choose to live there still instead of the thousands of other cities that exist in conditions conducive to life.

I think it’s real dumb to assume that Mars would just be abandoned cause it’s basically the same thing.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Jakabite posted:

So much of that is because there aren’t any other good options. People don’t pitch up in the middle of South Sudan because they feel it’s objectively the best option for their quality of life. It’s largely because there aren’t any other options and to them that’s home and they can’t imagine another way of life, or simply don’t want to abandon how they’ve always lived. And that’s fair. Comparing Martians in a sci-fi technocracy with people living in rural regions of Sub-Saharan Africa is extremely weird and not at all a good comparison.

I’m talking about the rich people choosing to live in Dubai or Las Vegas.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

swickles posted:

Pirates I would guess. A crew would be more discerning on how/when to act against a priate crew while an AI system would be easy pickings.
Plus I am sure there are a lot of other bureaucratic reasons as well. Computers are probably bad at paperwork/bribes.

So give them AI controlled gunship escorts. Hell, why do you even need people on these ships anyway? A cargo container ship could be built to burn at a constant, I dunno, 5g burn and no human crewed pirate fleet is going to catch that.

Which is probably why they don’t have fully automated AI controlled ships because then you get into that kind of sci-fi setting.

E: not related to this topic but how realistic are the space battles we see in the show? Is “target locking” an actual thing? Would 2 ships in combat even get into visual range of each other if missiles exist?

For target lock, I feel like every episode up to the current one made it seem like once you’ve been target locked you’re 100% dead because there’s no escape (if you can’t shoot down the missiles). It felt weird that in this episode the Razorback was target locked and they just somehow escaped.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 3, 2021

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Crazycryodude posted:

Or the second torpedo is gonna annihilate the Razorback in the first 20 seconds of next episode, which would be a hilarious way to get rid of Alex. Bobby would go down too though :(

Add in a scene about how there’s only 1 working vaccine suit and have Alex give it to Bobby before space ejecting into space. Next episode she can talk about INVINCIBLE ME.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

T-man posted:

Where's the time travelers then? too busy sucking and loving with cleopatria? WERE cleopatria using a history degree in the era to become empress?

We’re all time travelers.