Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Hakkesshu posted:

Looking forward to it! Though I keep hearing that this is the worst part of the books, so I hope that they can do something new with it. Last season was killer and I was so bummed when it was cancelled, so... thanks Jeff.

It gets a bad rep, It's still a good book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Seriously, the Bruins game just started. Between the hockey, The mando and this i'm in 3 worlds right now.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Svaha posted:

E1:
Avasarala: "...and Holden, try not to put your dick in it, it's hosed enough already."

Amos: Did she look good?... I mean what was she wearing?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ep 2: Avasarala looks loving amazing when she's talking to Bobby, and Amos bones Mary-Anne

ep 3: Amos hasn't gotten his name right once.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Dec 13, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dreylad posted:

Finished it, on Ashford: Normally the show is about giving people good or appropriate deaths and while the way he went out was great, it was a bit weird having him charge the pirate's ship with two other people and everyone getting shot pretty quickly, and then he gets caught off guard? Just a bit

SEAL Team Ashford was the best way for him to go out though, he was this reckless Pirate using old OPA tactics against the new OP pirate. he almost had him, but didn't allow for the wild card. Good death for a great character.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

You all deserve to hear this again. get on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCyGIJl1XUA

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Delthalaz posted:

Binged the whole season in two sittings. Not a book reader, but I'm somewhat disappointed. I mean it was great, I enjoyed the whole thing, but not much really happened. One of my favorite things about S1-3 is just how fast paced they are. More happened in the first 2 or 3 episodes of Season 2 than all of Season 4. In the end, not much was resolved and it was very much a slow burn with long stretches of people doing nothing. I did not like the introduction of Naomi's ex, the Super Terrorist with Epic Charisma who wouldn't shut up for like 40 minutes, and now oh joy, it looks like he might gently caress everyone. On the planet, this loser rear end in a top hat Murtry and his endless petty bullshit just wasn't very interesting to me, and all the drama between him and his 20 goons and the 20 or 30 or who knows how many settlers could have been resolved so much quicker. Overall, the stakes appeared to be a lot lower this season. That's fine, everything can't be about the existence of all humanity, but there was also very little character development. Holden, Naomi, etc. are the same folks who came into this, so are Avasarala and Bobbie for the most part. Now we have to wait another year+ to move the story forward.

Also Fred Johnson got barely more than a cameo!

You need to understand the book is like that, Naomi's ex isn't even in this book, so you can imagine how flat it would without him. This is basically the a soft reboot of the story because most things have reset to zero, It'll pay off. The one character that wasn't in the show is a bit of a shame. But they would have had to recast that character and it would have sucked

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

pixaal posted:

Going from the book, I thought this season was blisteringly fast. They cut out a ton of downtime.

It's not that anything important was cut, it's just a world building book and they could have easily made it into 2 seasons. I still think it's some of the best TV I've ever seen. I'm really surprised it came out this amazing.

They completely cut the Havelock story from the show with the RCE ship having minimal screen time, and gave Munty a sidekick and Amos a gently caress buddy

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

mfny posted:

No one gonna talk about the Roci getting a sweet new animated screensaver on its displays ?

40s bomber "bombshell" style no less..

Is this where the Amazon money went ?

Amos has taken up photoshop

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

https://twitter.com/i/status/1205547936618340354

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Teron D Amun posted:

didnt they recast Avasaralas husband in S4? I could swear it was a different actor back then too

Yeah but that wa s a bit part.The other one was a whole thing

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bloom posted:

As much as I love Avasarala I didn't really care for this. It didn't give us any new character development and I just don't see the point of it.

Yeah it did, you just don't see it

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bloom posted:

General spoilers for the season: What though? We already knew she was a mean old hag who wants to win at any cost. There's a character who says as much to her face in episode 3 or 4 of the first season. That despite everything she has a soft spot for her family? Again, something we learned in season 1. I just don't see what additional info about her we got about her this season

Sounds like you got some of the broad strokes. final episode spoilers:z But she's always had a soft spot for her family, especially her husband, he's always been there support her as dick swinging background politician. But she started to turn into a tyrant, only taking her own council getting tunnel vision about the protomolecule, until her Husband had had enough and sent her to deal with her mess alone. There is obviously more to it, and a good portion of her story this season wasn't in the book. But it still gave her character development, and added something for the actress to do and pad out the very tough to TV Ilus plot.

They had to dig into the next book already and even with 3 less episodes, without Avasrala's story there would have been a lot more filler or a whole lot of the next book would need to be changed, and that would be a crying shame.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Clanpot Shake posted:

Final episode things Seeing Ashford go was gutting but it was great seeing him be a clever old pirate right up til the end. Why did they think dreamy pirate man was going to throw the rock at one of the belter stations? At that point he had already attacked Earth once, seems like a safe bet he was gonna do it again?

I thought he was gonna go to the firing range or something to make sure he could still use a gun, since he loves guns

final: Earth and Mars are so well defended it just seemed like something not worth considering, Ahsford knew right at the end what they were doing, he was trying to get them to say it by playing dumb. A sly old fox to the end

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Delthalaz posted:

I think I would have been much more satisfied with the season if they had told us what the deal actually is with the drat planet. It's just as mysterious now as it was in the first episode. Instead, we end with asteroids hurtling toward earth from the B-plot.

It was an old protomolecule outpost dead for a billion years, that was what earth would have looked like eventually. They went over it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

^^^ That doesn't tell us what the purpose of the protomolecule megastructure was, just the consequences of its construction.

Gotta agree there, finding out that the protomolecule apparently converted a huge portion of the entire planet into one ginormous machine seemed like way too big a deal to leave unanswered, unless that ends up part of the overarching mystery of this new plotline.

But that's what the protomolecule does. It usues what it finds and builds outposts, what we know of the protomolecule is jus t a fragment lost to history and the ramblings of millercule. It's not what they were that is the point, it's why they are gone.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

logikv9 posted:

goddamn i'm still amused that the after the superreactor superexploded that the protomolecule decided the best way to prevent this was to simply ban fusion

It built an electric fence out of moons and a pocket universe It had mad skills.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phi230 posted:

I'm also disappointed there was no Callisto attack, but I'm pretty sure that Amos states he thinks they were Tungsten slabs

season 5: Amos was just reverse engineering the blast, But they say in the book the tungsten was used on calisto, It was a dry run for earth and they really didn't want to vaourize it.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 15, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gohmak posted:

I'm talking more about the locust, plagues and floods.

Bro i'm more than happy to jab religious stuff with a very sharp stick, but you are reaching a bit.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

I'll let you in on a little secret that isn't a book spoiler. Humanity is hosed, we just haven't accepted it yet

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blind Rasputin posted:

He really wasn’t that great of a character in the show. He carried much more might and charisma in the books. I honestly feel they could’ve found a better actor that didn’t just come off as a pure greasy liar.

That's exactly how he is in the books

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

Pluto is really far away. Even with an Epstein it's a multiple month journey from anywhere populated. Saturn is the furthest part of the system with any extensive settlement. There are some research stations out at Uranus and Neptune, nothing mentioned beyond that.

The ring gate is 2 AU beyond Uranus too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Norton the First posted:

So, I have this in my Youtube favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWYTyfQe-o8

and I did not make the connection until now that Belters were space Romani.

There is a lot to unpack in the video

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

I started re-reading the fifth book which gives an Ilus timeline right up front. Time taken for the Roci to go to Ilus, do their thing, and return to Tycho Station is just under three years.

which doesn't make a lick of sense, from memory did the trip from Medina to Ilus take like 78 days?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

CLAM DOWN posted:

I loved this book. I know it was super controversial though. I'm not done S4 yet but am really enjoying it so far, they nailed the casting imo

I loved it too, but it's like a bottle epidode, see as like 99% of the book takes place near ilus.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 16, 2019

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cojawfee posted:

It's used for batteries, ceramics, lubricants and other things.

7up originally had Lithium in it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is the significance of lithium? The only thing I can think of is batteries but why do you need batteries if you can build fusion reactors?

Episode 10 spoilers:

I thought it was super dumb that the whole plan to get the big bad terrorist was to send 3 guys in vs an entire ship.

Ashford was hunting marco like a shark, he only had the one ship with a small crew and that Martian merked one of his pipe hitters. Getting help is a weeks maybe months long process

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

The Something Awful Forums › The Finer Arts › TV IV › The Expanse, Season 4: Lithium Lube For Amos' Moods

whats with the mood thing i keep seeing it, is it new, i want in on the ground floor for once

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

McSpanky posted:

Kinda, but I was actually using it in the traditional sense. You're looking for this stuff: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mood

2016? why do i keep hearing in like it was invented a month ago. A number of youtubers i've watched have started saying it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

Oh yeah, but I can't think of another prominent asian woman in the cast. Lachman's loving blonde ffs.

She's also not Chinese.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Some of the Sheep posted:

Don't be gross.

Sorry Flanders.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

Lithium has other uses, including in fusion. It's also rare enough it's one of the few resources you could reasonably still lack when you have access to a thousand star systems.

As soon as someones find Coltan, Gold, Nickel and Cobalt in the same rock it'll be amazing how fast the build something to extract it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronjutter posted:

Nancy Gao's actress is named... Lily Gao!
Also she's been on Letterkenny just like Cara Gee. There are maybe 50 Canadian actors and they are in everything filmed in Canada.

Looking at all the secondary characters they're almost all not just Canadians but Toronto locals too. Dr. Okoye, Wei, Marco Inaros, and most all the random belters and security folks all were born or went to school in Toronto. Not casting the widest net on the casting there.

Wei is not only on Letterkenny, but she's hosed Shoresy

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

Yep, in an old quarry.

A hole in the ground is like money in the bank.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grand Fromage posted:

It's refreshing to see a sci-fi filmed in Canada that doesn't take place on Planet Vancouver, at least.

The clearly visible forest of pine trees in the background of Area 51 on Stargate was magical.

E: Lol I remember it being trees way in the back not this blatant.

Everyone knows the real Area 51 is on the redneck side of the Cascades

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

404notfound posted:

Did Elias Toufexis make an appearance at all? I seem to recall it became a running gag to have him do a little cameo in every season.

Edit: Checked his Twitter and it sounds like he's a no-show Maybe season 5?

https://twitter.com/EliasToufexis/status/1205401789509459968

Horse + Mouth =

https://twitter.com/EliasToufexis/status/1203077122576670720

e: wow beaten at the post. Keeping it anyway

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cactus posted:

I actually liked Cibola Burn, and love what they did with this season. Cannot wait for the next. It was book six that I felt was the worst of the series, got about three quarters through it and fell off it (won't say why because a. not the time or place for that discussion and b. I'd probably get dogpiled for having the specific opinion I have about it anyway so gently caress that lol), so I'm looking forward in an academic sense to see how they improve on that for S6 of the show.

take it to the other thread, i'd be interested in hearing why without the g14 classified

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nail Rat posted:

No. If it sucks after one episode I'll not watch anymore. It's not a big deal. I already wasted a lot more hours of my life on horrible shows.

Dude there are dozens of good to great shows that had awful first epsidoes.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Combat Pretzel posted:

Now imagine reading a book that goes on and on about slugs this, slugs that, slugs killed the baby, for way too much time.

hey, that sounds like Cibola B... oh i get it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Evernoob posted:

Has it been said if all the systems accessible through the gates are within the Milky way?
Can they even figure out their relative position to Sol?

The gate network is in the milky way, besides the hub, and who knows where the gently caress that is.
They say in the book you can see Ilus's star from our solar system, way way out there. So someone figured it out.