Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

Does this go all up at once at midnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

So rule for all episode discussion is putting a warning for the episode number and then spoiler tags of the content?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

'Case we're celebrities?

Eps 3

MCR kids learning by putting together warship parts.

Thom12255 fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Dec 13, 2019

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Eps 10

RIP Husband-man

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Regarding the recast of Ava's husband. The last actor always seemed to present a sort of naiveté about who she was whereas the new actor portrays the character as being pretty sick of her attitude most of the time. I don't think she was that different this season from before but I guess they also have never spent that much 'career' time with one another as they did in this period of their lives.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

evilbastard posted:

Her PDA really knows her well - look at the Autocorrect options.

Looks very LCARS'y at the text input part.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Sour Diesel posted:

Mars' whole thing as a culture is the dream of terraforming a new livable world and over 1300 ones just became accessible

Which made the scene where the kid gets into the terraforming program so hilarious as he doesn't seem to get how that's a complete deadend now but Bobbie does.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

mfny posted:

Ep 10, Alex comments to Amos about his newly reconstructed hand/fingers, and Amos says he is going to go "test" it.. and we ALL know what he means by that..

Except, the audience then finds out he meant going to beat someone to a pulp.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

It would have been really loving hilarious if one of the ring gates went to whatever planet the Mormons planned on going to. If they had kept the nauvoo and left, they finally get to their destination and there's belters already living there.

Also was it still the slow zone? I thought the station lifted the speed limit last season.

They're still calling it the slow zone but yeah it's normal physics now.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

OldMold posted:

The cliffhanger ending feels forced - I'm assuming Avasarala has plot armor and Gao is going to get sniped by an asteroid?

She's on Luna (her husband isn't oh no) and only Gao's transition team sounds like it is on Luna so she's probably dust yeah.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is the significance of lithium? The only thing I can think of is batteries but why do you need batteries if you can build fusion reactors?

Episode 10 spoilers:

I thought it was super dumb that the whole plan to get the big bad terrorist was to send 3 guys in vs an entire ship.

Well a big plot point in this season was the need to have batteries powering the ships. And the ones on the Belter ship sucked.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Where did Stargate film the desert planets if they were mostly based in Canada?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Super Slash posted:

And I'm sure the last people in charge sacrificed a shitload more than 12 marines

*cough* getting the rain forest nuked *cough*

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

404notfound posted:

The ending of this season felt kinda rushed. The threat of Inaros had plenty of foreshadowing, but aside from that, we're very quickly shown that the Martians were smuggling stealth tech to the Belters; that Inaros hijacked some asteroids; that he used the stealth tech on the asteroids; and that he launched them at Earth. IMO there wasn't enough time to let each of those individual incidents breathe, and if not for reading the books, some of it might have been lost on me. I think even just one more episode's worth of time would've helped to space out the events of the last episode.

I think it would've been fine if it was still a weekly release.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

PriorMarcus posted:

I still maintain that the show made a mistake showing the Earth slums rather than the Basic Income that 99% of the planet exist on.

Oh, I thought that was Basic. Why are they in slums if everyone can get basic?

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

I went on the subreddit's Discord and a lot of the guys that were involved in the 'Save The Expanse' project say that they always hated Cas and that he's full of poo poo and had very little to do with saving the show except being loud on social media. They had a hard time working with him and he would explode at them a lot if they tried to do something he didn't like.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Replace Cas with Brain George.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

theCalamity posted:

I'm not thrilled about weekly releases, but I can't wait!

I think it is better overall, I missed having weekly discussions in threads like this for last season.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Show still good.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

I love Marcos actor

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

I hope Arjun feels bad for genetically modifying his son's genes against UN law.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

It's up.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

7:06 and it's not up yet???

It's up, I just watched a woman pee on my tv.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Naomi must suffer.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Shouldn't there become exponentially greater demand for long-duration shipping with more and more planets being colonized? It already takes months to get from Earth to the Gate, some of them will be in space for years shipping cargo around. Plenty of stuff Belters could do for the next century while letting more of their children grow up on planets so they can handle the G's.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

I have to agree that they really haven't done a great job of showing how terrible the parts of Earth that got hit are and how hard it's going to be for those people to survive. CGI expensive I guess.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Rah! posted:

That scene where Avasarala tells the admiral she wants him in her cabinet and then pours some whiskey for him...

I wonder if she poisoned him with that undetectable heart attack stuff? He's a powerful and bloodthristy dipshit that now has a ton of respect worldwide thanks to his new reputation as a "hero that saved earth", and is already responsible for killing thousands of innocent belters. So maybe she figured humanity is safer if he's dead?

or maybe they were just drinking

I don't think he's really dangerous to her, he didn't try and trick the last SG - he just gave his views and that SG was dumb af to think it was a good idea.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

smoobles posted:

This season is so drat slow compared to the prior ones. They better be setting up a balls out solar war in season 6. I'm tired of watching sad terrorists with mean dads. Holden is literally doing nothing. Alex and Bobby have spent 4 episodes flying a space ship from A to B. Amos has an interesting story, but his character is by design a walking piece of wood, so he's just grunting through it.

Preview for next week looks good, don't worry.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

What a way to go out.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

That shipyard is beautiful

Forgive us for our doubts Correy

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

Cojawfee posted:

So what was with that thing at the end of the episode. Time freezes and then black smoke shoots through the ship? Is that just a new effect for going through the ring, or was their ship destroyed?

That certainly is a way to get rid of Alex though.

Go back and compare the look of that effect with the anomaly at the end of S4 that the scientist falls into.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

There's no way a bunch of Alex's content was cut, this is how they intended the season to go. They would've just needed to reshoot a few scenes in the last 25 minutes.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

I think this season would have fewer reactions of "Filler!" if we didn't already know that the entire show has to wrap up all its plot points in 10 episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

zoux posted:

She was trying to warn off her friends. That's what's so compelling about the Naomi stuff for me, all that suffering is in the service of saving other peoples' lives. As soon as she realizes the suit mic isn't working, she knows she's dead. She's not trying to save her own life. She puts the craft in a dangerous trajectory to try and make it impossible for the Razorback to dock with her ship, when that doesn't work, she throws herself out of the airlock - not expecting to be rescued - but just as a 1/100 chance to warn Alex not to rescue her. At any point she could've spaced herself and ended all that suffering, but she kept on doing things (and Dom Tipper does a great job communicating that suffering and pain) to protect her family. It's very noble.

She was always trying to save herself as well - that's important. She never gave up hope that there was a chance she could get out of it if she kept trying the next thing. If she wanted to end it and save their lifes, she just had to cut the bomb wires inside and they'd go off.