Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lol at people itt coming up with fantasyland technological solutions civilize the belt. rather than simply ceding control of extraplanetary territories and establishing water/biomass treaties

i hope marco's next asteroid hits the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Desmin Borges isn't doing anything since the abysmal Utopia remake...

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god can we get to the next episode already

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

BrotherJayne posted:

Yeah, Amos had the wrong firearm for that situation

Honestly a single squad lmg would have made that poo poo a slaughter one way or the other

what the gently caress was that gun he had? it looked like a tiny t-shirt cannon and the way he had to pump it so much was wack

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Can I get some help! The bottle!?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, that stuff she blew up in s3 was part of a plan to specifically murder Holden for his role in JP Mao's downfall

Baronjutter posted:

The stealth tech stuff I don't think was handled well. Mars had this tech, they've been sitting on this tech but only marco was smart enough to realize invisible projectiles had some military application? The entire "meta" of combat in the expanse is long range missiles vs PDC's. Winning or losing a battle is entirely down the speed and tracking of your missiles vs the speed and tracking of your defensive weapons to shoot them down. Railguns are only used at short range because at long range these "dumb" projectiles can be easily seen and dodged with a small course correction.

Mars clearly can mass produce these magical "stealth composites" to the point they had so much to spare they could give enough to marco to coat a ton of pretty big asteroids, plus clouds of micro-asteroids. This should have been a game changer bigger than the Epstein drive. Martian ships firing stealth missiles, stealth railgun rounds, all from stealth ships. Earth clearly was scrambling to catch up and needed expensive and very limited observation satellites to attempt counter only the threat of large "planet buster" stealth nukes.

Like good on marco for actually using this technology, but it makes mars look dumb as hell for not using it and earth dumb as hell for not going all-out countering it. Even if you can't upgrade all the sensors on your ships to actually hard counter it, adjust your tactics so cloud of dumb-projectiles can't line up a shot months in advance and know you'll be the same god drat spot.

I got the impression from the earlier seasons that the stealth tech was absolutely cutting-edge stuff that hadn't yet proliferated, and then Earth and Mars's war ended fairly shortly after. Then once the ring is open the Martian military starts mothballing stuff/taking it off the books. So the Free Navy conflict strikes me as the first point where stealth tech is common enough for this use anyways.

And if the Martian military knew about the protomolecule tech on Laconia the whole time, stealth composites are small potatoes anyway.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Feb 3, 2021

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

zoux posted:

At the end of the show, and maybe I'm recalling incorrectly or something, but Inaros says something about "sitting next to a sleeper agent" - what was he talking about?

I think that was a goon's post interpreting Filip as becoming disillusioned by his dad in the last ep

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That is a very valid - even true - Battlestar opinion, but Someone to Watch Over Me, the episode with Kara's dad, is my favourite one across the whole series so it's hard to mesh those two thoughts.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The first time I watched S3 I HATED Ashford, but by season 4 I came around. Then rewatching it I loved him the whole time. They did a fantastic job putting you in Drummer's head and letting her and Naomi tell you how to feel about him.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
One thing from this finale I loved was Bobbie and Chrisjen's matching outfits :lovebird:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
there was literally a whole season only about exploring a wide open universe, unless you expect the Roci to take a tour of every park and quarry in the greater Toronto area

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mu Zeta posted:

From what I gather the two alien species are like the protheans and reapers in Mass Effect if that helps.

I think Holden is pretty much the only guy in the show that believes that the red swooshing aliens exist. Maybe Fred too before he died.

Dr. Okoye too, she saw them when she fell through the black hole thing

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Oasx posted:

Pretty much all the important belters have a toned down accent, presumably so the show doesn't have to include subtitles whenever Naomi or Inaros speak. Some of the belter slang is semi-incomprehensible.

Marco' voice is so thick and husky already, I could listen to him (or Drummer or Chrisjen) read the phone book :allears:

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rhugor posted:

Honestly, Marcos’ entire character and faction comes across as someone that half read “Wretched of the Earth” by Frantz Fanon and found it suitably intimidating for a Western Audience. Its what I immediately think of anyway, with how the show has Marcos and his faction members talk.

You're not wrong, after all one of them is literally named Sakai

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

404notfound posted:

There's a S5 blooper reel up on Youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yuv-XbY2QU

Heyyy finally some Miller in season 5

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
We've had Umma, Jung, Mr. Mehta show up, when is Shannon going to leap into the twenth-fourth century?

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Season 3, he was the Marine on Bobbie's fireteam who got killed trying to arrest Holden

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

vessbot posted:

The talk about helmets a few pages ago, I can let it go as a standard Hollywood-ism to show us the heroes' faces. But something similar that bugs be more, is how the central command posts of virtually all ships are consoles that you stand around, where a standard part of the universe is the criticality of being in crash couches in case of sudden G's

There's foam to protect people's heads from bumps on the underside of the second deck level of Marco's ultra-high-tech Martian Free Navy flagship CIC and I just don't understand it at all

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Fuller makes two episodes, gets into an argument with the studio because he wants 100 million per episode and they say "No, this is a niche show, you need to be more realistic" and then he just quits and leaves everyone else to pick up the pieces, which means it sucks and everyone says "This would have been better if those nasty studio execs would have just given Fuller what he wanted." Then he moves on to his next project.

just to be clear, it's always the financiers' fault for hiring Fuller and expecting him to not make an opera

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
But she's not the polycule member you'll assume she is.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
??? Bobbie owns

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Avasarala is great, but also a cartoon character, because she comes off as some sort of pro-social fascist

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Weird how Bezos's favourite show is going through noticeably more production fuckery on the Bezos channel than it did on Syfy

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
If they do do 7-9 in another format, I hope Avasarala gets more screen time, but still passes away during the events of Tiamat's Wrath. I thought it was the best way the writers conveyed Duterte's effort to export all human culture back to Laconia. Don't kill Bobbie though.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Here's a cool little article about the making of the opening titles for season 5. It includes a gif of all ten opening sequences at once which was really cool; https://breeder.studio/the-expanse/

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Filip going full Uday Hussein this season

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Marco sucks because he doesn't talk to any of the rest of the cast. Similarly, Filip sucks now because he doesn't talk to Naomi anymore. I would enjoy Marco more if we got scenes of him, like, issuing threats to Drummer or demands to Avasarala, or if he arrested Prax for doing something on a station. But all he does is talk to his son (who only talks back) and to Short-haired White Woman and Short-haired White Enby. I know one of those two is supposed to be the agronomist Guoliang, but neither have really gotten much characterization for how often we've seen them in two episodes.

Sab Sabbington posted:

The thread's really down on S5 and S6 so far but S5 has some of the best moments ever done in a scifi series in terms of both storytelling and setpieces.

Hopefully we get something as exciting as Alex and Bobbie taking on a ship with only Bobbie's hardsuit. That was my favourite bit of S5

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When is somebody going to die by hitting their head in Marco's fancy ship? The set is so dumb and there's only like one foot-wide impact strip on the railings

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lol at the long scene of Camina kicking Michio off her ship last week only for them to spend all episode in the same room this week

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Of course, Drummer is the best character. But I want to see her do poo poo!

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Laconia stuff would be cool if the show had been renewed but now it feels like a sort of weirdly sad, expensive wave to Bezos; "please renew me! look how much more you'll dig what we have planned"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

kazmeyer posted:

I just have to say if you don't follow Keon Alexander on Twitter you really ought to. He's spent the past few weeks flirting (in character) with the actresses who play his opponents on the show, taunting Holden by putting him in fake ads (Holden looking grim during the space battle - Imodium, "Where Will You Be When the Diarrhea Comes Back") and he sent Ty a humongous rock for Christmas.

I think he'd been friends with Cara Gee and Dominique Tipper before joining the cast

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
My first thought when Drummer slipped the Martell house words into her speech was "I wonder if Ty Franck ghostwrote any of A Feast For Crows"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

acumen posted:

It's really no different from when it was cancelled the first time. There were plenty of threads to pick up on should it come back, but it also concluded satisfyingly enough. Y'all acting like this is the first show to get cancelled prematurely. And if you really want some closure the conclusion has been readily available for like a month now.

Yeah, and like GF said, it's not cancelled, it was given a mandate shorter than that of the books. That's lame, but they could have altered the story to wrap it up in that time rather than tell an incomplete story as a public Hail Mary to achieve what their own negotiations clearly didn't.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
It is but it would have been a lot neater had they bothered bringing the actors on set. This Zoom is so cheap and will never work well on screen.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Splendid posted:

They seem to have let a lot of it fall by the wayside, what with the ridiculously buff Belters we've seen the past couple of seasons.

What really bothers me - and I think it was most prominent a couple weeks ago when people were walking through bombed Ceres Station - is how the set dressers have given up on remembering you can't just strew poo poo about the floor in space and things need to be held in place

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Not so much on stations like Ceres, it’s under constant (if fairly low) gravity.

That's fair. I think I'm a little spoiled by the effort they previously put into shots of, like, the bird or pouring liquor. The Ceres set had varied debris lying flat in place - sure the gravity holds down crates, but I really would have liked to see some ashes and wires behave strangely. It took me out of the scene to see everything look so inert.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think one of the show's biggest mistakes was collapsing things into "one book one season" upon Amazon renewal. I thought the structure of the first three seasons, with big shifts happening halfway through the seasons, kept things a lot more exciting.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
So there were three fakeouts from the books that I counted in this episode;

- Duarte not giving Marco a ship, where Marco is given the first Laconian ship in the books;
- Holden accepting and then resigning the Transit Union presidency, where he directly rebuffs Avasarala in the books;
- Filip escaping the Pella on its final flight and us learning after Marco's death, where we see him leave Marco beforehand in the books

And of those I think that Holden accepting the presidency was a bad idea. It fit his character, but so would have outright rejecting Avasarala. I think that version of the round table scene would be just as fun to see Aghdashloo, Gee, and Strait play. As everyone says, it also feels likelier that Holden would be able to personally persuade Avasarala and Mars to accept Drummer rather than him nakedly juking the thing to subvert them, and that being tolerated. It would also have saved a minute of screentime for other stuff and gotten us to President Drummer all the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Floppychop posted:

Yeah, I really liked Alex and was bummed to see him go, but I totally get it.

Some have been saying that his death was mundane, but I feel like they did right by the character since he put his life at risk and died to save Naomi. He just risked in the way Alex would, by pushing the limits of piloting, compared to someone like Amos that would do it through fighting (or being a human shield).

I enjoyed Anvar's portrayal of him, but I have no problems if he gets blacklisted.

Also this is my first time seeing Wes Chatham and Frankie Adams in action and would love to see more of them.

I think this is like Frankie Adams's third role period and I would love to see her in a lot more stuff as well. Somehow I've just never seen anything else Chatham was in