Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I'd like to see more elaboration on the problematic colonialist element of this season. And I'd like to better understand the critique of it, because right now I feel like I'm pretty white and goony about the question. Which is to say, no one is being genocided on Ilus so why not move in. But I've seen discussion from First Nations individuals on Twitter that the whole show is propping up colonialist narratives about how good it is to 'claim new territory.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Everyone posted:

I'm extremely glad there's no "humans in funny suits" aliens in the offing. Proto-molecule stuff aside, in the Expanse, the greatest threat to humanity is always humanity.

For the purposes of The Expanse's themes and storytelling it makes sense for there to be no forehead aliens. But I do wonder how the series will ultimately square it's fairly grounded conceptualization of space travel and futurism with the apparently-actually-magic of the Unkown Aggressors that wiped out the protomolecule civilization (who, yeah, are similarly so far beyond our comprehension but at least we can form analogues for their tech.)

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Grand Fromage posted:

It's Twitter.

They are doing a colonialism is bad story but it's the RCE colonialists vs the Belter "natives". There is no intelligent native life on Ilus.

There are also people who make this same sort of dumb point about Mars exploration and think it's clever. Claiming the idea of colonizing Mars is the same as colonizing the Americas just shows you don't understand how words work, not that you've come up with some brilliant narrative about history.

I don't disagree but I think this counter critique is also taking the genre-conventions of The Expanse too literally. We need to reflect on why we value settling new worlds -- should we value that instead of valuing living within the means that we have? A friend of mine in the Voluntary Human Extinction Movement hates The Expanse and space fiction in general. His idea being that nothing of humanity is any more valuable than the life that could arise somewhere else.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
BSG ended after the colonials were conquered on New Caprica. Everything after that was Roslin's dying fever dreams. Especially Lee crashing Pegasus into a basestar because the show is titled Battlestar Galactica and we can under no circumstances change the titlecard to Battlestar Pegasus no matter how much sense it makes.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

qirex posted:

Expanse content: I enjoyed this season a lot and I was amazed that the tether actually mostly worked because 99% of the show is "we made a desperate plan and it almost worked but then something went wrong which caused us to make even more desperate plans, forever." I was convinced the belter ship was going to crash

When Lucia get knocked into space I had no hope at all that things would resolve the way that they did. But, like everyone's childhood fear of quicksand, that's one of the ways to die that terrifies me regardless of how implausible it is to ever encounter.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I hate to admit it, but my first thought when I saw the new Arjun was that he was Avasarala's side piece. But I'm not going to knock the actor's performance, casts change sometimes. It certainly wasn't as weird as the Fabio/Daario recast or that dude that played The Mountain for two scenes in GoT season 2.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I have it on good record that a hours of ranting, incoherent, bullshit is plenty enough to drum up a crowd of violent, ill-educated would-be-murderers. Doubly so if you have a neat red hat.

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Wait, are they planning to film The Churn? Isn't part of it like... the sewer scene from IT levels of hosed up?

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

Every part of that is really goddamn cool. Please never let Kojima-san contribute to The Exapnse.

<Monster Energy Do Not Drink>

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

ashpanash posted:

Move-a-ting

I don't think it's been brought up (or if its a book thing or not) but I really like the branding on the Belter OS video app being called "Showxating"

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...

CommanderApaul posted:

What about the fact that it's combination suicide and cloning machine?

I'm at the clone machine
I'm at the suicide booth
I'm at the combination clone machine and suicide booth
On Jamaica Avenue

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
I like the Eros Station shirt. It could plausibly exist in-fiction (material being used for belter clothes aside) and isn't distracting or overly branded if it goes unrecognized.

I fully expect to see "Doors and Corners" along with some Punisher Skull poo poo-for-cops-and-cop-lovers any second now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
never follow a show thread in the off season