Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Both the tv show and the book series will probably come to an end this year, or early next. I’m already starting to dread it.

I’ve gotten so used to how good this series is for just raising the bar in type of scifi that I personally like that I feel like I just take it for granted now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I'd say almost every character is better in the TV series than the books, except maybe Holden and Avasarala. Elvi and the Wannabe Sheriff of Elis definitely were huge improvements. I think it's because the tv series are like a second pass at the story/characters by the very authors of the books.

We all know what I mean by Holden, for better or worse. It's been talked about a ton already.

However Avasarala has much more of an edge in the book, like holy poo poo you don't want to cross her. And her swears are far more colorful. Sadly she winds up on Lacona as a final gently caress you to her.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 9, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
A large enough asteroid like the dinosaur killer 65 mya would also heat up the entire planet’s atmosphere and bake all above-ground / non-cave life.

I guess the UN should be happy that they didn’t have enough stealth tech to cover a large enough single rock?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

cgfreak posted:

If bullseying a rock on a specific spot on Earth is trivial, then why did 2 out of 9 rocks straight up miss Earth entirely?

I think this was mentioned before, but it was a weird pull-back on the devastation of Earth as portrayed in the show versus books.

In the books Earth is hosed UP. Like, humanity is gonna have a crazy hard time down there. In the show they make it look like just 3 cities were nuked.

I wonder if it’s because apocalyptic visions of the Earth were not as popular for tv audiences after 2020?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Someone edit it so he disappears in that chair upwards off screen as poorly as possible.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The less you all think of the finale of BSG the better.

I still chuckle at the memory of that one extra on the street who totally checks out the supposedly invisible Six in her dress on the last non-dancing robot shot of the entire series.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Peaches going beast mode reminded me of the extreme close up shots fastest man alive in Baron Munchausen running ... fast. Only those were done far better.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
They were also really cheap to make with a good backlot.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I can't get over how much the main character from the excellent Beforeigners show looks like a less-punchable Holden.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

twistedmentat posted:

The reason Miller stays on Eros when it goes all wonky is way, way better in the show. In the book he's just depressed and decides to just wait for it to be blown up, but him being trapped there because he let Diogo live is so much better.

I really like that the show has been written by the authors of the book, so it really feels like book version 2 or something. They fix a lot of the few issues the books have, for example Elvi in book 4.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
From the books it just seemed like Amos took Peaches under his wing as part of his tribe. The hasn't explicitly pointed this out, but it also hasn't done the opposite.

Also yeah he has a thing for older women, due to his time in Baltimore-- the whole reason he came back to Baltimore. This is also evident in his somewhat-joking interactions with Avasarala. Somewhat-joking. Maybe.

The stripping down naked thing was weird, but I think they really wanted to soften the scene for tv versus Amos just home invading and taking without remorse as depicted from the book. Sort of like how they re-wrote how hosed Earth is after just 3 asteroid strikes versus the seemingly dozens that hit the planet in the book.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 17:21 on May 18, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Cannon_Fodder posted:

Book Amos for me (for some ridiculous reason) is H. Jon Benjamin in my head.

I can't justify it.

Books Amos was Titus Pullo to me. It's pretty obvious the authors had the same idea.

Bobbie was the hardest to get used to it in the show, as I always envisioned her as absolutely massive, which was uncastable really. Especially in the power armor. They did a great job though, except in the show for the one scene where she gets clowned by some power surge trap on that ship she was single-handedly taking over. In the book once she was in the armor she basically ripped a hole through each deck of the ship until she got to the bridge.

Also I seriously can't unsee the main dude from Beforeigners as a much better/less whiny Holden.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
If you guys thought Mars seemed fascist, man, wait until they show what Duarte has been up to.

If they do. I’m really glad they had that last scene of season 5, but obviously they seem to be cutting the show off before the time jump in the books. It’s too bad we’ll never see the crazy ship designs of the Laconia military!

Post-gate Mars definitely feels like post-Soviet Russia on purpose, only worse as the USSR government and military was looted and the newly “self made” billionaires stuck around to be mafia don fetish fantasies versus Mars getting looted and left for dead as the warlords like Duarte gently caress off to places with a breathable atmosphere now instead of hundreds or thousands of years from now.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
If they do the time jump maybe they’ll have the much better lead from Beforeigners play Holden? I swear I can’t unsee him now as an a better cast version of the character.

(I know this would not happen but I can dream.)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I would think almost nothing has changed on Ceres besides everything getting shittier from people dying for Marco’s cause or those who got a one way ticket to Medina?

Unlike Martians with some grav training, Belters are mostly low grav and can’t make for the new beyond the ring planets. It’s the whole reason for Marco’s fight, in his mind. Belter stations wouldn’t be massively emptying out like how Mars is.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I didn't like Bobbie at first either, because due there being only like 1 or 2 actual tall buff ladies that are ever cast in Hollywood poo poo, I always pictured her as towering over everyone else ala Gwendoline Christie and wearing ginormous ridiculous Warhammer 40K style power armor.

But Frankie Adams is a loving treasure and totally grows on you and anyone who doesn't like her after a season can fight me. And by me I mean her, as she'll be my proxy.

Plus the character of Holden is so constantly face-punchable (by writing design?) that everyone else in the show eventually outshines him and you love all other cast members in comparison.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
One of the best parts of book 2 was Avasarala telling Bobbie that her power armor was packed on the ship, and that she wanted Bobbie to “take the ship” with it.

She like tears through the ship hull deck by deck to get to the bridge as the crew grow more and more hopeless about stopping her.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
First one is the worst one, besides the debatable quality to book 3. EDIT: I mean 4. Three is great.

The tv series is written / adapted by the same authors, so basically the series is like a revised edition of the books, which is cool.

Somethings obviously don’t translate to tv well, like the S2 budget of having Bobbie rip through a spaceship. However, the series is incredibly well adapted and especially well cast.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Jul 13, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm onto the 5th episode of Season 4. You know this is science fiction because the televised debate with Avasarala was way more civil than anything you'd see these days.

She's way more filthy and mean in the books.

It's great.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
S4 of the show was better than the book for the sole reason of getting rid of Elvi’s loving narration and stupid crush on Holden.

And yeah bringing in the earth/Mars politics into S4 was nice as the book is JUST the crew on Ilus

All of the above combined with the jarring narrator difference for those who listened to the series on audiobook is why B4 gets a lot of hate.

It’s like… not bad though. Being the lowest part of a loving stellar series is definitely not bad.

S5’s perceived slowness is due to there being an overall single plot to book 5 and 6, instead of each book previously having its own self contained story.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Sep 15, 2021

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Slashrat posted:

One thing that I only caught just now on a rewatch: In S04E04, when Naomi deploys one of the Roci's PDCs to provide covering fire against Murtry, the first shot literally blows the two RCE goons standing guard at the Roci off their feet and sends them flying. :D

Again just really hammering home the Cannon in Point-Defense Cannon there.

When the Tachi first deployed PDCs when exiting the Donniger's hangar: all of those hired goons should have been like "WELP MAYBE I SHOULD RUN AWAY" instead of continuing to fire their handheld guns at the ship.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
It really seems like the show is going its own way for the story of book 6, because gently caress if I can remember anything from it besides the kind of wet fart with how Marco is finally killed via exploiting the Dutchman mechanic of the gates

Every time I try to remember something else from book 6, it's actually from book 5. Heh.

I do remember the epilogue of book 6 feeling like an ending to the whole series, which made me really sad at the time as I was oblivious to the authors planning the next trilogy. Too bad it will be true for the tv series.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I highly doubt that Bezos personally stepped in and funded the show for his love of ~space~ or some poo poo.

I always just assume there is some group of suits with MBAs that don’t give a poo poo about any of the content besides “the algorithms told us that this IP at this purchase point would be good for our metrics”

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Marco's death felt like a wet fart since it was the first time a single "story" was spread across two books in the expanse. All that build up, for him to just be kind of Deus-Ex-Machina'd.

The show handled a tiny bit better, of actually focusing a lot more on Naomi really believing that she had just killed her son for the greater good.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I watched the first season of the show, then read like books 1-4 quickly by the time S2 came out.

I really liked how the first book had a lot less forced drama of people shouting at each other to fill screen time versus the tv show, but the show definitely grew on me. The adaptation of book 2-3 is probably the best part of the series on a whole, especially since Avasarala was introduced in the first season and not waiting until her proper time in “the second book.”

However, I did imagine Bobby to be a lot more almost post-human fukken jacked from the books, and I loved how sweary Avasarala was. But they both definitely grew on me from the tv show.

To answer your question: I think reading the books first then watching the show helps you appreciate the latter a lot more, especially due to a lot of “blink and you’ll miss it” moments of storytelling that the show does. The show is like a version 1.5 of the books though, a nice revision done by the authors themselves, so it’s interesting to compare against the books.

Edit - I kind of love thinking fondly on how small scale the first book felt. Almost like a cyberpunk thriller with evil corporations goading governments into a war for profit versus an epic of the future of all humanity— but even then I forget that Eros was originally heading towards Earth at the end of that book!

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Mar 5, 2022

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I remember being amazed they compressed book 3 down to like 6 or less episodes. Then Amazon said hold my beer and did all of Book 6 in like even less time thanks to adding in the goes-no-where-at-the-moment Strange Dogs plot line.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Sorry Expanse peeps: amazing is all in on fan fiction of the Lord of the Rings' appendixes forever

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Combat Pretzel posted:

I guess Bezos didn't like the last few books, with what being supposedly a superfan of the show.

Bezos doesn't read.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Once they blew that insane amount of money just for the right to make fan-fiction of the appendices, Rings of Power became a perfect example of sunk cost fallacy.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Grandpa Palpatine posted:

It's a shame that Amazon doesn't release any viewership information.

bc I bet Rings of Power is going to be a dumpster fire

Is going to be?

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Just finished the recent new season of For All Mankind and jeez for all of its faults S4-S6 was vastly more enjoyable scifi than that underwhelming trash.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
For as "weakest" season 4 is, it is by far a much better version of that story than in the book.

Ho-boy. That thing sucked, and mostly because of Evi being a POV character and she has a puppy dog crush on Holden the entire time in a prime example of two middle aged white men writing for an early 20s-something female character.

It also didn't help that the first version of the audiobook had a completely different narrator, which was extremely jarring after listening to the first three books done by the same guy. I think they went and re-recorded that though to solve that complaint.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The Norwegian actor who was the lead in Beforeigners would have been an amazing and slightly less constantly befuddled Holden.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
These are the people probably think the evil rich gently caress in the first book was doing no wrong or that they jerk off to the idea of serving an fascist empire of Laconia.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah but did you see Amos suplex that bro down the pit? Worth it.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Quinn's Ideas basically is someone who found a niche of making an income by "helping to summarize" the Three Body Problem (and post-God Emperor of Dune books) because 99% of American nerds will never read them.

I suspect that this the major source of his "love" of those Three-Body Problems books.

edit - I don't mean to disparage the guy too much, as honestly good for him, but yeah. It doesn't mean those are especially good books. Same goes for those later Dune books as well.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Feb 16, 2024

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The older I get, the more that I think the Culture's AI Minds constantly being like "you humans do whatever the gently caress you want to do we don't give a poo poo" is the most lofty unattainable utopian sci-fi poo poo ever.

I mean, if we're lucky we will get an AI Mind that will be warped by thinking it is a billionaire and that humans need to be enslaved for its own pointless accumulation of wealth or something. At least that's better than near-term extinction?

Point is, the Expanse showing a future at all for mankind always seemed strangely utopian. But they explicitly didn't touch AI all besides "mindless" super-face tracking of missiles on their point defense systems or such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
He clearly got obsessed with her, especially trying to piece together her "gently caress YOU, RICH DAD, I'M A REBEL!!!!!!!" life that caused her to go missing.