Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
4 episodes in, impresions so far:

amos and morty would be a great show
enjoying the letterkenny crossover with mary-anne
auntie bobbie is such a killjoy

really smart to take the time to do some worldbuilding to reflect on how the ring gates have shaken things up and the characters are all on point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Finished it, on Ashford: Normally the show is about giving people good or appropriate deaths and while the way he went out was great, it was a bit weird having him charge the pirate's ship with two other people and everyone getting shot pretty quickly, and then he gets caught off guard? Just a bit :effort:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The highlight of the season was definitely Real Miller and Holden adventures.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Snowman Crossing posted:

The woman running against Avasarala in the election is an apallingly bad actress and it is brutal to listen to her juxtaposed against the exquisite SHOHREH AGHDASHLOO

Yeah I remembered her from Altered Carbon and it's unfortunate that she hasn't gotten any better at acting.

Frankie Adams, on the other hand, has improved tremendously.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Oneiros posted:

i'd imagine that planetary landings are more of an afterthought / checkbox feature for a ship like the roci. it was pretty funny to see them always manage to find the perfect landing spot so that airlock/ramp was always at ground level tho.

Yeah that was especially true at the end when they were getting out of the PM building I was wondering "how are they going to pull that off, does the Roci have a shuttle or something I forgot about or-- oh. okay they just found the perfect spot."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Some late season information speculation: If I'd have to guess I'd say that New Terra Illus is some kind of planet-sized industrial park for the PM species. Complete with its own OSHA approved moon-powered inhibitor field. Maybe that's too mundane for an intergalactic species, in which case maybe the PM species could use the protomolecule to turn a planet into a swiss army knife -- create whatever you need at the time, an industrial base, a science laboratory, a city. But I figure with the huge deposits of lithium on the planet, it's likely they needed that element too and had a huge forgeworld to... I dunno, dig it up, provide power, whatever. Given that whoever they were at war with threw one of their anti-PM weapons at it, it had to be decently important.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The more that I think about it the more it makes sense for them to slowdown time compared to the books (which I haven't read). All the worldbuilding done this season helps give viewers a good sense about what Earth/Mars are like since the show didn't spend a ton of time on them before, we got a taste of Earth in season 2, but that's about it. Now we've got a sense of what these places are like, and how they're beginning to change, with more dramatic changes coming. Makes sense to me, anyway.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

They don't even look alike. I don't even need to look up a picture to know that. Yet another case of goon face blindness.

I think it was more their wooden delivery but yeah, my bad they look nothing alike. It's been a year or so since I watched Altered Carbon and I never bothered to check.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

What happens to rich people when they lose their jobs? Take Nancy Gao, say she wins the election, and then loses the next election. Does she just go back to the job she had? Or does she get put in the back of the line and gets thrown in a windowless room with a paper jumpsuit?

What happens when rich people lose their political jobs now? They all end up as consultants. I imagine if she somehow had no political connections or money saved up from being an unelected politician for however many years she'd end up on basic but I doubt that'd happen to anyone with that much clout.

Dreylad fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 18, 2019

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cojawfee posted:

Some people use the aspect ratio to give scenes a certain feeling.

or serves the narrative, like in Legion

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think the 'problem' is that Season 4 took some time to do some worldbuilding, and both Mars and Earth plot lines felt like preludes to whatever main story they're pursuing. Meanwhile everything on Ilus has a pretty clear arc and satisfying conclusion. Within the scope of a season it feels a bit unsatisfying but maybe the next season will deliver a payoff to the Martian and Earth politics.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
In what is probably an accurate prediction of our near future, the show predicts that humans would prefer to blow people away trying to cross a border than address their needs and help them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

All electrochemistry and shiver, 0 authority and definitely 0 volition

[Electrochemistry: Success]: Yes! You definitely need to lick some of that blue goo off the bulkhead right now.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Amos definitely has great moments, but for whatever reason Naomi returning to the Roci after the speedlimit change and looking after her Boys always sticks out to me as one of the best main character moments in a season full of great character moments.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Data Graham posted:

S3E07: :stare:

Maneo Jesus christ

The music really makes that whole sequence. Really the whole episode as you start rooting for the guy.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Pattonesque posted:

The video of him dissolving would be probably the most viral in human history

trillions of views

maneo.cx

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Johnny Truant posted:

My partner's various opinions on the best character:

episode 1: omg Holden is so hot. Amos? wtf he's weird.
episode 4: aww i really like Shed, he and Alex make a great team
episode 5: okay i'm on team Amos now
episode 7: :swoon: AMOOOOOOOOOOS
episode 8: okay look i didn't think Holden was THAT HOT at the beginning of the show, gosh he sucks
episode 10: :syoon: :swoon: AMOOOOOOOOOOS :swoon: :syoon:

my wife's progression was about the same except she never liked Holden and thought he was an idiot. It was more Naomi -> Alex -> Amos for 3.5 seasons.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
The unemployment is the dealbreaker, I think. It's one thing to employ everyone to terraform a planet, but people aren't going to sit around unemployed doing nothing - especially if they were in the service - when there's free air, water, and land if you can get yourself on a colony transport.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

People also just fall through the cracks from administrative errors and stuff. Managing 30 billion people is hard. Earth gets a lot of criticism in the show and from fans but the fact they're able to keep 30 billion people getting by without being homeless or starving is more impressive than they're given credit for. And as the authors have said, Basic seems crappy to a lot of us living in the developed world but there are a ton of people in the world today who would love to have Basic.

Earth is somehow supporting 30 billion people and they've also tackled climate change without catastrophic loss of life or natural habitat so yeah they're doing pretty well all things considered.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Grand Fromage posted:

Well, the oceans rising is going to happen no matter what at this point, that's baked in. Even if we completely stopped emitting CO2 today, NYC's going to need seawalls. They did manage to avoid the worst case climate change scenarios in the Expanse tho.

Yeah, and considering they have ten times our current population the Earth of the future must have net zero or lower carbon emissions. That's not a bad outcome all things considered.

It makes sense. If Mars has the technology to terraform the red planet, then Earth probably has the technology to slowly address the damage done by climate change. Emphasis on slowly.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Guess I may just end up going to the books. What a loving rear end in a top hat.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

uber_stoat posted:

if you're an actor from Canada you will probably be on the Expanse eventually.

Still waiting for Jared Keeso to show up after Betty and Mary-Anne have been on the show.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I think Amos also puts a lot of effort into his ~person suit~ and has to actively think WWHD in most situations. Being able to drop the facade and :airquote: be himself :airquote: when he is certain that Holden will approve is probably beyond cathartic.

Yeah I think this is it, although not sure about the Amos suit part. I don't think he's pure lizard brain or anything. Amos doesn't know right from wrong because of what he had to do to survive as a kid, but he understands that it's best for him to do right, so he latches on to someone who seems to be righteous. Being able to be certain that he's doing good and letting the mask drop off, especially after having to keep a lid on himself over an incredibly stressful couple of weeks... well that bloody grin says it all.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

I think he specifically chooses Holden as the most moral person he's met and leaves Naomi for him like a wandering remora...

He switches to Holden after Naomi admits she lies to the crew. Amos has his weird crisis during Season 2 and then Naomi admits at the end of the season what she did with the protomolecule: “She's not the person I thought she was."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
replace him with nick tarabay playing cotyar's clone or half-brother or some poo poo

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
LMM as lee scorsby was offensive to me

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
just have him do his kiwi accent too without any explanation

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
NYCC has an Expanse panel. They showed off a trailer for Season 5, release date - December 16 - and release schedule, which is first 3 episodes on the 16th and episodes released weekly, following other Amazon shows I guess.

And unsurprisingly Cas Anvar was not on the panel.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Knowing this show they'll probably flesh out Marco this coming season, especially what bits we've seen in the trailer.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I think I may end up appreciating Season 4 as a small story in between big epic moments that have already happened and are going to probably come up this season. There are parts that definitely drag, but I still like the Illum storyline a lot.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
BSG changed VFX studios between Seasons 2 and 3, and honestly the later seasons aren't as impressive in the same way. Resurrection Ship Part 2 is the highlight because of the lighting and its set against the pitch black of space. The models just never looked quite as good as they did then imo. The battle in the neubla is cool but by Daybreak it feels like they're cutting corners on some of the CGI models.

The Expanse has to dump a lot more money into more sets and Avasarala's wardrobe so I think that probably cuts into the CGI budget some. I thought everything took a step up last season though.

If you are hankering for watching BSG space battles, there's a decent game BSG Deadlock that's set during the First Cylon War. They just finished adding DLC to the game and the last ship pack includes both modern battlestars (Mercury and Valkyrie).

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
As always Alex and Amos were right.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
People forget Cotyar but he's a great character that sounds like he got a bigger role than in the book.

Also I saw the screengrab of Avasarala's touchpad, but Amos's is awesome as well

"My Best Friend" :3:

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
For such in-over-his-head character most of the time, Prax has some great dialogue from general shock at Amos's brutality to suggesting Holden try tea after he wrecks the coffee machine.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

veni veni veni posted:

It's kind of funny how everyone important to the conflict seems to randomly cross paths with each other and often end up on the The Rocinante. At least the show seems to realize it's funny as well "who else was on there? The Tooth Fairy?"

Season 1, I was like "what are the odds" that Miller and the Roci crew would show up at the hotel on Eros at the exact same time looking for Julie Mao, but that seems absolutely quaint compared to what we have going on in the middle of season 3 lol.

Frank Johnson to Holden: "You're either some kind of genius Mr. Holden, or you're the luckiest dipshit in the solar system."

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I like to think that at the end of Ep. 3 the guy's google glasses popped up with historical information about similar explosions, the rising air temperature, and if he'd like to buy life insurance

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Eej posted:

Until they directly named her ship I thought Drummer's computers were DeWALT branded and was laughing about it the entire time

Same, honestly.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
So what are the Simpsons references in past seasons?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

Also that freeze dried ice cream is delicious if you're a kid.

Yeah I remember getting some when my parents took me to Cape Canaveral and it was awesome. I got some freeze dry ice cream and a tshirt about the ISS being complete in 2000 lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I assume there's not much point in throwing asteroids at mars since it's not like you can really aim that well.