Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found the book to be super boring so kudos for this season not to be that. I enjoyed the show for what it was but I wish it had the same fast pace from the previous seasons but, yes, I understand this wasn't the show's fault and that it actually did its best to mitigate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
With that said I normally would have hated all the secondary subplots but I love the cast so much that even if I wanted the pace or the plot to pick up every moment with every single character was a joy.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think my biggest criticism of a plot element in the entire show pretty much happens in this season/arc:

I find extremely out of character that Murtry gets to live. There are so many ways to accidentally die and so many characters that want him dead. I get that we needed a bad guy and he's written as a super smart dude outplaying everyone but the guy had two factions hating on him, both of which had their fair share of murderous psychos.

We saw more attempts on Avasarala's life than Murtry and the guy was an extreme rear end in a top hat who put himself in an extremely bad corner surrounded by people who weren't really liable to no one. We only knew he was gonna get caught because he's the bad guy who gets caught in the end. Holden and Amos are fairly trigger-happy and the scene where Holden spared him in the desert after they put Naomi's life in danger felt super out-of-character. Rather, maybe trigger-happy is not the proper word for Holden but he's very impulsive.

I could swear that he was gonna kill Murtry and someone else would get bitter over that and escalate the tension between the three groups.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I want to say that when the nuke exploded this might have been the first show to ever get someone saying a Brazilian Portuguese term without making a Spanish accent.

CLOSEST CITY TO IMPACT: GOIÁS MAIOR

Also a great futuristic Neo-Tokyo-ish name as far as it goes.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

tao of lmao posted:

Luke gets his hand chopped off and conveniently has a new one by the end of the movie :rolleyes:

I don't think that's the problem as much as that it's hard to gauge what's available or not when a good part of the season was about finding a cure to blindness. Like yeah, it may have been mentioned years ago, but I kept thinking "would they be able to reverse Amo's blindness?"

None of which are plot holes. They were in a lovely situation, surrounded by deadly animals that would kill them on contact, so even if curing blindness was trivial to high-tech martian technology, their immediate survival depended on it. There are lots of ways to convey how important it was for that entire group not to go blind in the shittiest situations they were in.

I still at the end was left with a strange taste because I couldn't figure out whether "oh, so they could just like, take off the infected part and grow a new one" was a valid choice or not. During the actual season I got this strong vibe that blindness was permanent, not just from Amos but from all the other characters as well. It was a bit of an emotional crux, and the regen tech at the end was like oh, yeah, about that.

Also, I get the Luke analogy but the most prominent villain is a character entirely supported by technology and with the loudest breathing in cinema. We already knew that you could be almost entirely a Terminator from how Obi-Wan talks about him, and also the very hand replacement event was used as an emotional pivot when he sees Vader's hand later on. We've seen technology in this show used for the same negative effect (are Holden parents loving or just really a bunch of assholes abusing tech for political/territorial reasons?) a few times, but this was the opposite.

But yeah this is just a minor nitpick, and as pointed out it doesn't compare with stuff like the slingshot. It's not even a plot hole, it just made it slightly harder to gauge what is a serious ailment and what isn't.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wish my wardrobe was 1/20th as amazing as Avasarala's.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It's not... the space around the ship that's moving...

...we're just zooming into space. Enhance!

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Yeah the scale of space is really loving unreal and hard to make sense of. Here is an awesome scale map. The little doodad on the bottom right scrolls it at the speed of light.

That's awesome

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Space is only big because the CPU running the universe can't simulate much so they have to make sure we ain't ever going anywhere.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Going FTL is very easy, we just need to perform a buffer overflow in the universe, gain direct access to the RAM, then edit the values with Cheat Engine.

To gain root access to the universe all we need to do is find a way to collapse all possibilities to the one where we want and then we'll also have proved that P=NP and we'll be able to do anything.

If you're from the future and any of this nonsense was proven true please send me cash, thanks in advance.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Create a massive simulation, put every human being in it, pretend it's the original universe and just say we invented FTL in it in a way that doesn't defy the laws of physics and load Space Engine to everyone.

If you need to quick solutions to solve the biggest known problems in physics I'm here.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't believe so to me it is a problem.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

T-man posted:

If I teleport out of an open airlock which way will my soul fall away?

Your soul will expand indefinitely, you'll grow faster than space itself and soon the entire universe will be an invisible dot as you lament your own immortality.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hot take: All the Ice melted due to Climate Change.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Norton the First posted:

That chick is like, Pierre Jules-Mao levels of cold. Holy poo poo, making a "Dear John" video with your ex's friend wandering around in the background in a banana hammock.

Maneo deserved so much better.

The unrealistically ripped guy hanging around made me laugh so goddamn much, I lost it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Touché

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I feel like "he's written as autistic but the author doesn't actually know what autistic people are like" is a sufficient explanation.

At least in the TV, he's written exactly like people who have suffered that kind of early trauma from living in a violent environment and have intense PTSD. I mean, not everyone end up like him but I've seen some people who do. Like the way he was overly connected to Naomi and commented on how that kept him linked to the world, in a way that Naomi and Holden were sure it was some crush of sorts, is kinda like how people who dealt with gang violence act. Also the way that he talks about violence and how some people need to be protected to Cas is... pretty much how that goes too. He doesn't see those people as inferior or lacking value in society because he doesn't glorify strength as much as others, everyone else does. That's why his best friend in the world is a super nice guy whom he tried to protect from getting started on violence.

Most of the time he's not unaware of the poo poo he's doing or his own shortcomings, he's just got his own code and he's way too distant from the way regular people think to care about the consequences.

People like that can distance themselves emotionally in a very unsettling way. I once heard the exact quote "I just had to learn how to disconnect myself early from everything and everyone around me or I'd go crazy" and that person still has panic attacks.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Avasarala might be my favorite TV character and it's my dream to someday write a character half as cool as her because hot drat.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

banned from Starbucks posted:

Can just make your own for cheaper!

Jesus.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I loving love everything about Amos.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I can't eat a bunch of junk food garbage and beer and chocolate and churrasco and fries then Basic is pretty much torture.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I really wish the plot moved faster but the whole Amos introspection thing is so interesting that somehow it makes worth for me something that would generally be annoying.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I just want to say what an episode, what a show, I love the Expanse, holy poo poo holy gently caress holy moly.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The obvious conclusion is that we should go for Battledestroyer.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did a Drummer makeup (well my partner did on me actually)

OYE

BELTALOWDA

THIS IS YOUR THREAD

We had to find the darkest eyeshadow to mimic her look. Blacker than the blackest black, times infinity.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tighclops posted:

This rules! What brand/type of eyeshadow did you use?

For that specific night out, Black Cat from the SIGIL brand by Tammy Tanuka:
https://sigil.me/product/chernaya-koshka/

They're pretty much god-tier when it comes down to highly specific eyeshadows.

Fair warning: It is *black*. Blacker than the blackest black, times infinity. If you mess your makeup or get it mixed in your base you're gonna need a ton a makeup remover and start fresh.

Otherwise for a faster more practical approach:
https://www.maccosmetics.com/product/13840/75923/products/makeup/eyes/eyeshadow/powder-kiss-soft-matte-eye-shadow?shade=Give_A_Glam

I use MAC Cosmetic's Powder Kiss, of the Color "Give a Glam". Although it's "brown" it's still pretty dark. This was my quick 15 min. Drummer make do for a video call today:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Floppychop posted:

On one hand; more Expanse is great, especially Drummer focused.

On the other; there hasn't been a single Telltale game I've enjoyed.

Same to both