Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Midnight Pacific I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Of course, right before I have to go to work all night. Oh well.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Svaha posted:

keep in mind that this is the 1st book in the next big story arc. By nature, it's going to set up stuff that doesn't pay off until later.

Right. I think this is why people were disappointed with the book at the time. 1-3 are the original story arc, and the authors then got more books added to their contract and 4 is starting a whole new story. If you feel like it didn't go anywhere, trust us Horrible Book Readers that it does. This is act one of a new thing.

I said I wouldn't binge and I'm starting episode five right now so, welp. More beer. This is also the first time I've ever streamed anything since I want to contribute to Amazon's numbers so they keep making more seasons. Works a lot better than it did when I tried on Chinese internet.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 14, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah, I love the old actor since I've seen him in a billion things. But production reality is what it is, and the authors said he was recast because the original dude was busy with another project, not because they wanted to. The new guy is good too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nail Rat posted:

The new guy is just way too young, that's my biggest beef. I mean he has grandkids. He's 49.

They do have life extension drugs in the setting. Lifespans are in the 150+ range for people like him with access to them.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If I buy the soundtracks on Amazon can I download without DRM? I want to get them but I want mp3s with no bullshit.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Amazon Music lets you download MP3s.

Cool. I never bought anything from them so wanted to check before I did.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Oasx posted:

Question about Mars: Did we find out why so many people are suddenly looking for work?

Lot of people were in the military but Mars is off a war footing now. They were disassembling a Donnager in that scrapyard. That's Mars' newest, most impressive tech--they're getting rid of a lot of their military if they're scrapping brand new battleships.

Josh Lyman posted:

Binged s4 all in one sitting. Some of the planet stuff dragged but overall I loved it.

For those of you who know, you say this is act 1 of a new story arc. Can you give me some details? If itís just Earth vs the rest I feel like it loses some of the sci-fi appeal. Feel free to PM me if you think itís too much book discussion for this thread.

It's too much for the thread, I wouldn't want anyone to accidentally read it. It's definitely not just Earth vs the rest.

What I will say is book 1-3 is the discovery of alien tech and it unlocking the thousand new worlds. Very nonspecific: Books 4-6 are about the consequences of having a whole new frontier and upending the order of things. 7-9 are about sticking your dick in something that's been hosed enough already.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Dec 14, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The authors haven't said anywhere that I've seen, but Martian culture is similar enough to republican Rome in its values that I can't imagine it's coincidental. Appropriate.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

mfny posted:

Also this season has one of the best masturbation joke/reference things ive seen in years btw.. its a blink and miss thing but i loled for real..

What was it? I may have missed this.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Planet I would really not invest a lot of energy in hoping for specific answers about the protomolecule aliens. Though there will be more exploration of why they're extinct.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm gonna need an Amos gif of when he goes crazy eyes after Murtry punches him, thanks and protomolecule bless.

Edit:

Phi230 posted:

Also kind of pissed that they went full on asteroids for the rocks that Marco launches, its incredibly stupid. In the books they're like 2 meter x 4 meter slabs of tungsten

The tungsten is the small attack on Callisto, not the other one.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Dec 15, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Phi230 posted:

I'm also disappointed there was no Callisto attack, but I'm pretty sure that Amos states he thinks they were Tungsten slabs

Book 5 stuff: "While Amos is in the waiting room to see Clarissa Mao, the news reports that an asteroid hit somewhere in North Africa, causing tremendous damage. Guards take Amos to Clarissa's underground cell, and he tells her about all that has happened with the Roci since they dropped her off. In the middle of his story, the place goes on lockdown. A guard tells them that multiple other accelerated rocks have impacted around the globe, causing massive destruction worldwide. The rocks were undetected because they were hidden with stealth coating."

I haven't read the book recently (though, think I'm going to reread now) but that summary fits my memory of it.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Realities of casting. There's no question who is a Belter as described in the books. I think he speaks in Belta to the guy earlier, though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Phenotype posted:

Yeah, I compared this season's plot to a colony of ants discovering an oven..

In the book Protomiller calls humans monkeys poking at a microwave.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

theblackw0lf posted:

Well thanks to someone in this thread I no longer have the desire to finish The Dark Forest

I'm glad I hated Three Body Problem so much I wasn't planning to read the sequels.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Phenotype posted:

I don't know that trade would stop with the belt, at least right away.

This is where the show suffers a bit, the timeline is different. In this book it's been a few years since the slow zone incident, huge numbers of ships are going through the gates to colonize new worlds, Medina Station's drum has been filled with dirt and turned into a nice park, etc. Way more time has passed overall in the book than the show so the timeframe doesn't quite make sense.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

ATP_Power posted:

Though in terms of realism I'm not sure how accurate that is given the strength of Jupiter's own magnetic field, and massive radiation belts. I don't know if that field would have much protective capacity the way Earth's does.

It's not, the radiation flux at Ganymede's surface is real bad since it's inside the radiation belts, Ganymede's magnetic field doesn't help much. Callisto would be a better option since it's outside the belts. But the real best option would be Titan, the atmosphere is so thick plus Saturn's radiation is negligible compared to Jupiter, nature's autoclave. Titan has slightly lower gravity but it's not that different than Ganymede. Also, since Titan is the only major source of nitrogen off Earth it would be very important for farming. You'd have trouble with sunlight though, the sun is a lot dimmer out there plus Titan's atmosphere is so hazy.

Burying yourself under Ganymede's ice works fine as a radiation shield, but in that case the magnetic field doesn't matter.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

T-man posted:

I wonder if the Pluto is a planet debate still happens in the Expanse and if there are angry boomerbelters who try to live on it

Pluto is really far away. Even with an Epstein it's a multiple month journey from anywhere populated. Saturn is the furthest part of the system with any extensive settlement. There are some research stations out at Uranus and Neptune, nothing mentioned beyond that.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Colony ships need to bring everything too, you don't know if there's even anything edible on the planet you're going to if you're the first ones. Probes will tell you about the atmosphere but you have to go to the surface to analyze proteins and poo poo.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

Can anyone tell me the context for the scene where Bobby is reviewing on her hand terminal a list of low level Martian navy/marines who have jobs in things like logistics, survey probe intelligence, and protomolecule research? It's shortly before the big betrayal/shootout at the end, but I missed how she obtained that information. I assume they're tied in to the Martian logistics lieutenant captured by the OPA and running supplies to Marco.

Do not attempt to look up answers to this question. It's a little foreshadow for next season.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

SpookyLizard posted:

The time stuff is kinda funky but the ring is supposed to be like 21 AU from earth, plus the travel through the slow zone and out to ilus. in that context theres time for election season to roll around. the travel montage is basically non existent though.

I started re-reading the fifth book which gives an Ilus timeline right up front. Time taken for the Roci to go to Ilus, do their thing, and return to Tycho Station is just under three years.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

E10- What was your interpretation of Amos' "thank you" line? Thanks for going out fighting? Thanks for giving me a good reason to beat the poo poo out of you?

The latter.

I've seen budget speculation everywhere, Ty said in an interview it's basically identical. A little higher but the improvements in the effects are just that they're better at doing effects, not that they had more money. This is also why the episodes are the same length, they don't have more money for more filming.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is the significance of lithium? The only thing I can think of is batteries but why do you need batteries if you can build fusion reactors?

Lithium has other uses, including in fusion. It's also rare enough it's one of the few resources you could reasonably still lack when you have access to a thousand star systems.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I think I read north of Toronto.

Yep, in an old quarry.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's refreshing to see a sci-fi filmed in Canada that doesn't take place on Planet Vancouver, at least.

The clearly visible forest of pine trees in the background of Area 51 on Stargate was magical.

E: Lol I remember it being trees way in the back not this blatant.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cas Anvar says they just finished shooting episode 5 of the next season. Wonder if it'll be fall of next year or maybe even summer.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

withak posted:

I think we need more shots of the inside of Avasarala's closet.

Dunno if they have the money to rent a zeppelin hangar.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It definitely seemed like once you're off Basic you're out for good. Even if you're not rich. That also exacerbates the problem since with life extension drugs you might have to wait like, a century for someone to die and a job to open up.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's pacing, not quality. The last half of S3 was all climax all the time. This is something of a reset and S5 will be bigger. If they adapt the whole series this will happen again for part of season 7, which is where the third main story arc starts.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It's extremely not filler but doesn't pay off for quite a while. Which is one of the difficulties in adapting a novel series. They've said that partway through writing the third book they sat down and outlined the entire series to its conclusion, so they're playing the long game with some of this stuff.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Cibola Burn was never going to be the end. By the time they started they knew it was a nine to twelve book series. I don't remember when they cut it back from twelve though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Evernoob posted:

Has it been said if all the systems accessible through the gates are within the Milky way?
Can they even figure out their relative position to Sol?

All the systems are within a roughly thousand light year sphere, IIRC.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Here's the most I could find at once.

But they also show another moon from orbit in an adjacent scene and it's a half moon, not crescent.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The dark portion of the one on the right is noticeably brighter too.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

A Very Sexy Baby posted:

FIlip is a big boy! How old is Naomi?

All the characters on the show are younger than the books. They don't specify ages but she and Jim are probably 40-ish. Alex is probably closer to 50, Amos in the middle. Also keeping in mind life extension treatments exist and average lifespan is more like 150, so actually the characters looking younger than their ages is probably right.

Filip is one of the few characters whose age is explicit, he's 15.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Fragmented posted:

But it's not boring and useless, i live with my family and can gently caress around and make music. Correct me because i haven't read the books but isn't an average basic living a better life then an average human on earth now?

You get a tiny apartment to live in, paper clothes, reconstituted protein paste that's described as tasting "gray", a recreational drug dispenser, and internet access. Minimal medical care is also included. That's about it. There are certainly people on Earth today who would gladly take Basic as an upgrade, but it isn't great. It's the best they can do with the massive population.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The only person we've seen on the show on Basic was the doctor volunteering at the camp of non-registered people, as far as I can remember. Holden's family managed their own weird loophole situation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

If I remember correctly Holden's family have control of a small farm they maintain, which they got through some bizarre inheritance scheme where its all in Holden's name because he is technically all of the Commune's child.

Not even technically, his DNA is a mix of all eight of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They'll keep terraforming. But overnight Mars has gone from the second most habitable planet after Earth to the 1,302nd. Big loss of motivation.