Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Did Elias Toufexis make an appearance at all? I seem to recall it became a running gag to have him do a little cameo in every season.

Edit: Checked his Twitter and it sounds like he's a no-show :( Maybe season 5?

https://twitter.com/EliasToufexis/status/1205401789509459968

404notfound fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The ending of this season felt kinda rushed. The threat of Inaros had plenty of foreshadowing, but aside from that, we're very quickly shown that the Martians were smuggling stealth tech to the Belters; that Inaros hijacked some asteroids; that he used the stealth tech on the asteroids; and that he launched them at Earth. IMO there wasn't enough time to let each of those individual incidents breathe, and if not for reading the books, some of it might have been lost on me. I think even just one more episode's worth of time would've helped to space out the events of the last episode.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Super Slash posted:

So I was just flipping through cool scenes this afternoon when...

(Quality is garbo because our VDSL shat out AGAIN like 30 minutes ago, and trying to stream from a tethered connection with poor signal...)

Yuuuuup, that made the book readers happy because it was such a subtle bit of foreshadowing for something that wouldn't happen for a few years. People were also theorizing if the belter that Avasarala was torturing in the very beginning might have been related to the stealth tech theft that happened this season, but apparently not.

That's one of the nice things about adapting something that's so long but also nearly complete, unlike Game of Thrones (the ninth and last Expanse book should be out sometime next year). Events can be hinted at or moved up in timeline to give people a fuller, richer sense of the world Ty and Daniel have built.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The cool thing about the series is that, even with the introduction of all this crazy ancient sci-fi race technology and stuff, it still manages to stay relatively grounded in terms of the interactions. When it turns out that the planet is waking up and zapping everything with lightning and sending kilometers-high tsunamis across the surface, rather than being a uniting force to bring Earth, Mars, and the belt together to face the threat, it just becomes another talking point during a political campaign, because of course that's what people would do.

It's very much a series about the people, and fantastical sci-fi elements are just another ingredient to throw in the mix and see how it makes them react. When the ring gates activate and 1300 new habitable planets are introduced to all of humanity, there's no Star Trek pie-in-the-sky peace and exploration—the story just shifts to being about imperialism/colonialism.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

davidspackage posted:

MotherFUCK the jerk who felt the need to comment (spoiler ep 10) RIP Klaes Ashford on a YT video of Drummer's cool speech from a previous season and motherfuck me for reading YT comments on an Expanse video when I was 2 episodes away from finishing this season.

It's loving impossible to avoid spoilers pretty much everywhere you turn now. My Android phone shows news articles on the homepage if I swipe right, and half the time the headlines have some prominent spoiler about the episode last night that I haven't had a chance to watch yet.

Even if you avoid comments on Youtube, there'll probably be a related video in the sidebar that somehow ends up spoiling a show. Trying to go into anything blind these days is a miserable loving experience.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well, that's a real loving shame. He's always seemed very upbeat and active in the community, engaging on the subreddit pretty often. With all the other call-outs like Chris Avellone and Max Temkin, and now the potential for SA to go poof, the hobbies that I usually use to escape the bad news for a bit have become the bad news themselves :smith:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Eiba posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of the book, and in retrospect that's clearly because they got an absolutely miserable narrator for the audiobook,

FYI it was re-recorded with Mays. The only things with the Bad Narrator now are I think two of the novellas

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Daniel Radcliffe had a wonderfully self-aware guest role on Bojack Horseman, second only to Jessica Biel ("B-list?" "No, Biel-ist. Like Jessica Biel!" "... I feel like we're saying the same thing."). It sucks that he's had his struggles with addiction during his time in the public eye, but it's great that he's at a point now where he only takes on passion projects. Can't say I really see how he'd fit into an Expanse role, but it'd be a welcome appearance.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Eiba posted:

And I would just be hyped if it had just been a trailer. What the gently caress was that random guy at the beginning saying about Apple? Is there a more appropriate place to discuss this "trailer," because that one sentence was the most jarring bit of anti-hype I have ever experienced and I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way.

Just throwing in a bit of vague, generic praise for Apple since they're bankrolling it as an Apple TV exclusive title

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

:sbahj: Every now and then, I wonder if SyFy regrets their decision to drop the one legitimate sci-fi property they've secured since Battlestar Galactica in 2003

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

An all-at-once release is good for binge watching if you want to get it out of the way as quickly as possible, but the slower drip feed of a weekly release is probably better for keeping the show "sticky" for the purposes of engagement and discussion. Not to mention, it makes things a lot easier for online discussion forums like this one where you'd otherwise have to figure out how to talk about each episode without spoiling things for people who aren't completely caught up

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Hopping online to see what everybody is saying after an episode is a big part of the experience for me, so I much prefer a weekly release. Bingeing a show is nice for something I've seen before, but I want time to digest new stuff

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

veni veni veni posted:

I've been meaning to watch this show for forever and I think I'm finally hooked. In the back of mind I think I had a bit of prejudice against it because I knew it was a SYFY original, which immediately makes me think of their 90's output.

That's the bizarre thing--it was the most legitimate sci-fi thing that the SyFy channel had put out in probably decades, and it's amazing, to boot. And then they dropped it after the third season! I don't know if it was just because of financial matters or what, but if I were the SyFy channel, I'd be holding onto the one thing that validates my existence for dear life

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Yeah, code-switching is a very real phenomenon. An old coworker of mine was Indian but moved to the US for high school onwards. He only had a bit of an accent most of the time, but when speaking to the Indian contractors in English, his accent would suddenly get much thicker

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Ep 1: "Claiming to have brain damage is not the way to sell me on this, son." :lol:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Well, that's neat. Twice now they said that Holden is the Cassandra of the cast. I didn't know what that reference meant, but after looking up the Greek goddess (and realizing that she wasn't a goddess), apparently:

Wikipedia posted:

In modern usage her name is employed as a rhetorical device to indicate someone whose accurate prophecies are not believed.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Yudo posted:

the khlav kalash easter egg was amazing.

I had to pause and replay that twice to make sure I heard every part of that right. And Ty confirmed on the podcast that it's their once-a-season Simpsons easter egg.

I remember season 4 went wide-aspect for all the scenes on Ilus. What's the reasoning behind how they're doing it this time? I noticed it on Earth and Luna

Edit:

Cojawfee posted:

Which episode was it in? I must have missed it.

Episode 2, when Amos is casing the area looking for a connection to Erich

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Dang, Thomas Jane is classy. He's on the episode 3 podcast smoking an old-fashioned pipe and sipping from an espresso cup

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Holy gently caress. So Wes mentioned on the podcast that the flyover establishing shot of Baltimore down to the ground and following Amos was done with a helicopter and a crane, and he wasn't kidding. It's all loving practical:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI8_g3wDhPs/

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I can't remember, is this the first time they've actually said "hand terminal" on the show? I remember it coming up all the time in the books and thinking that it's such a clunky phrase, but it seemed curiously absent on the show

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm a book-reader and sometimes it's hard to resist commenting with something from the books, but I think it's worth biting our collective tongues. Speculation on upcoming events is part of the experience of watching a show, and (as a book-reader) asking leading questions or saying things with a knowing wink is helping nobody except yourself to feel smug.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

werdnam posted:

What do belters look like in the books?

IIRC due to growing up in low-/null-gravity, they're very tall and lanky and have enlarged heads. It's supposed to be very obvious visually if somebody is an inner or a belter, which can sometimes make scenes confusing, like in S2 when somebody was immediately able to identify Prax as a belter. But it's just not practical for the screen, both because the CGI budget would be ridiculous and also it can be hard to have characters you can identify and empathize with when they look so alien.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Crazycryodude posted:

The Razorback didn't manage to escape, the torpedo was a quarter of a second from flying up their tailpipe when Alex dumped the reactor core and the torpedo exploded when it hit the big cloud of plasma. You can dodge one single torpedo like that if you time it just right, but the downside is it leaves you floating dead in space with no power, which isn't useful for warships. Alex is gambling on them thinking the Razorback is a bunch of space junk now, if they put another torpedo into the "wreck" just to be sure he and Bobby are incredibly dead.

On the episode 5 podcast, Ty is saying that you can restart the reactor, so I don't think it's meant to be so much of a death sentence. But the close scrape where the explosion clips the corner of the ship certainly doesn't make things any easier.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The podcast for this episode features the actors for Drummer and Marco. Cara Gee is such a delight to see; she's so different from Drummer :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynyCMXijTig

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm consistently impressed by how effectively the show adapts the books, while at the same time making sometimes not-insignificant changes to better fit the format. It of course helps that the writers of the books also serve as part of the writing team of the show, and the post-episode podcasts (the only ones I've listened to since Ronald D. Moore pioneered [I think?] the concept with BSG way back in 2004) are a worthwhile watch/listen if you want to know more, since Ty Franck (one half of James S. A. Corey) co-hosts. Wes Chatham is a great actor and really brings Amos to life, but the questions and comments he makes as podcast host also show a deep understanding of and appreciation for the creative process, so it's a joy hearing him and Franck talk about creating each episode.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

So I don't remember if this thread has seen the covers for the Polish translations of the books, but they're sick:

Prints are available here: https://www.inprnt.com/gallery/darkcrayon/

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Like, part of what confuses me about the people who are confused is that nearly all of these things have come up on the show in previous episodes/seasons...

Like, ship debris as dangerous was established in the second episode. Vacuum exposure as “safe” in season 1. Do people on :reddit: actually watch the show?

The only confusing part is how Cyn seemingly just froze in seconds, while standing in the (relatively shielded) airlock. Like Naomi is able to launch herself and maintain consciousness long enough to use the hypo, but Cyn just stops dead as soon as he reaches the airlock door? Maybe there was something more going on, but it wasn't clear from the way that scene was edited.

This and the recent order of magnitude slip-up on the asteroid strikes are some glaringly weird errors. It's ultimately not a big deal, but in a show that's normally very good about being consistent and scientifically accurate (as much as a show about the protomolecule and magical Epstein drives can be), they really stick out.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

veni veni veni posted:

The whole thing with Naomi's message confused me. At first she tried to send out a warning that it was a bomb, but then just repeated the fake transmission until it went through in the hopes people would notice it wasn't pre recorded? tbh I'm also still not clear on whether or not the ship is free floating or tethered to Marco's ship.

The fake message was on a loop that Naomi couldn't turn off, for whatever reason. She was able to hack the suit to try and send a different message, but as she stated, she didn't even know what channel she was broadcasting on, so it seemed to be a pretty weak plan.

Her new idea was to find just the right wire to cut in order to interrupt the broadcast of the fake message, but to creatively stop and start it in such a way that it reads, "I'm in control." Presumably this is preferable to just stopping the broadcast entirely because somebody might have heard an earlier iteration and decided to go help; hearing her modified version afterward might be enough to ward them off of approaching the Chetzemoka.

The one thing that's a little unclear is how she's going to keep up her modified message. From what we've seen, it requires her manually fiddling with the wire, and the oxygen both on the ship and in the suit is limited, so at best she could maybe modify it once every couple of loops, until the total oxygen in the ship runs too low to risk more trips

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

CPColin posted:

Peaches mistook the sun for the moon because of all the dust.

Too much rear end-crushing

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

One thing I've always wondered about the flip-and-burn is the risk of something going wrong during deceleration. If the reactor stops working for whatever reason, you've now got a fairly sizable hunk of metal flying at thousands of kilometers per second directly toward a station. I wonder what sort of protocols are in place to mitigate that risk

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

These are some good points, I assumed that the nav system would aim toward where the dock would be at end of deceleration, but the deceleration dropping to 0 would also throw off that calculation, so chances are it would just miss. And if it does happen to be on a direct path that's not influenced by the acceleration, it would probably be far enough away or going slow enough that the collision risk is minimal.

It's fun sometimes following these fictional conceits to their logical conclusions. And if it can stand up to the rigors of people posting about it on the internet, it's probably some pretty solid world-building.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Seeing the Expanse actors interacting with each other on social media is just :allears:

Edit: The fact that Wes Chatham is a huge Twilight Zone fan makes me :swoon:

404notfound fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jan 24, 2021

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Taintrunner posted:

Erich rules. I'm really, really loving happy that they gave a disabled actor a really badass role like this.

Oh poo poo, the disability basically matches what Erich has in the books, so I just assumed it was CGI. It's awesome that they actually found an appropriate actor for the role!

It's funny—both Amos and Erich seemed too young at first, but both have come to inhabit their roles comfortably. I wasn't too sure about Erich in the first scene between him and Amos, but he's got enough of a tough guy edge that I could believe he crawled his way to the top of the poo poo heap.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Didn't they also mention it's summer time and they are getting heavy snows in the middle-US?

Not sure if that came up, but I definitely remember the people at Winnepesaukee being the "winter staff"

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

CPColin posted:

But I acquit.

god dammit nO

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I think most people keeping up with the show and talking about it online are aware of the allegations against Anvar, but I wonder how people who are completely unaware of everything feel about Alex's end. I definitely feel it was abrupt and a little awkwardly handled, though that's colored by the knowledge that they had filmed the entire season before making the decision to cut him.

The Naomi rescue scene was great. I loved that the close-up shot was held even as Bobbie caught her and attached the O2. It really felt like being there with her, not knowing what was going to happen as she quickly lost air while spinning out in the middle of space.

404notfound fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Feb 3, 2021

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

When does the after-show podcast usually go up? I figured it'd be there by now, but maybe they're delaying it or skipping it entirely so they don't have to dance around the matter of Cas Anvar's departure

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The after-show is finally up, guests are Tipper and Strait. Naturally, they don't talk about the Anvar situation at all, but Ty does go into some of the reasons and justifications of including something like suddenly stroking out during a manuever:

quote:

This is a war story, and war stories only matter if there's a cost.

Discussion of that part starts here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7s9OGI4Y9o&t=1315s

It almost makes it believable that Poochie-ing Alex was intended from the start :v:

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

The Amazon Video Youtube channel (the same one that hosts the podcasts) put out this video to explain the ending of the season, and some of its themes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6KrmgCWMSI

It says a little more about the Barkeith incident, including some snippets directly from the books. Given that this is an officially-sponsored video (actually created by another channel called The Take, which I'm not familiar with), I assume this is meant to be "safe" knowledge for show-watchers, so you can get a little more context without worrying about another book-reader saying way too much about it

One cool thing I took away from it is apparently all the Razorback scenes used split diopter lens to be able to keep Alex and Bobbie in focus simultaneously. Can't say I really noticed it, but it's a nice attention to detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah I think Miller and Prax grew up at least middle class since they don't have the accent either. I don't think they are faking it like Naomi, they just sound like Americans.

Naomi's not faking it, per se. It's a real-world phenomenon called code-switching, where you alter your speech to better fit your audience. If she spent a good part of her life with belters and a good part with inners, then she likely learned both--they're both "real" accents for her. It's not the same as an actor putting on an accent for a role