Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://i.imgur.com/UX2sk6P.jpg

gang tag please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Taking a picture of me hooked up to the apheresis machine turned out to be too much of a hassle, so here's my goon arm at the snack table afterwards. Plasma and double platelets. I usually just do triple platelets, but the center I went to was short on plasma, which saved me the trouble of having to ask the thread if platelets were also OK.

:hfive: apheresis buddy

technically I donated platelets (sometimes also plasma maybe, I dunno about this time, I donate a lot and they just program the machines according to whatever they're short on and they never bother asking me) but it's a heck of a lot more of an effort to donate platelets than blood so I really hope platelets are OK

I mean, 3 hrs (and 2 needles, one for each arm) vs 30 mins (and just one needle), and I'd take the latter if I didn't think that platelets were essential for cancer treatments (among other critical cases)

My picture was actually for the needle that puts blood back into the body, which was easy enough to take by myself (for people unfamiliar with apheresis, there's a good reason why the picture angle is so bad). The needle that takes the blood out is the last to go in and the first to be removed so I'd rather not bother anyone with taking a picture of me for a dead comedy forum with both needles inserted unless it would literally save a life

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Killer-of-Lawyers posted:

Ouch, that does sound like a pain. I'm lucky, I can do a triple platelet donation in 75 minutes with just a single needle thanks to my high count. Last time I did a unit of plasma and two platelets and it was like 40-50 minutes, which wasn't so bad.

On the downside it does mean the blood bank calls me constantly every two weeks. I'm already due to go back, and forgot they closed early today.

Yeah, though, platelets are supercritical right now in Texas, and they only last like 5 days so it's always a struggle for them to get them.

I'm always told that I have a high count and that I always donate triples every 3 weeks or so. The platelet apheresis machines here (Southern California Red Cross... I've been to multiple centers) always use the two needle method as far as I know, and the donation time seems the same for everyone (which is why everyone is asked to watch a movie). I'm kinda curious now... maybe I should donate blood components the next time I'm in Houston!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Also the 3 hours is just how much time I budget for this. The needles only stay in for about an hour and a half. The rest of the time is spent in paperwork and setting up the machines, at which time I can phone post as usual