Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

the only real mmo is graal online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

blatman posted:

the only real mmo is graal online

i pine for the days of graal 1.39 and making my own servers and stuff

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's all been downhill since Meridian 59

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Adadad posted:

For those of you who missed being able to go conquest battles or were just curious how they played out I recorded the last fight we had but lost the first 10 minutes... so here is the last 20 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biT5eMrANDQ

This looks exactly like guild wars 2

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I just watched like 20 seconds of that video but I absolutely do not want to deal with ground-target heals with a circle that tiny

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
That video is so annoying

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

GoGoGadget posted:

No. Most people I've talked to love the combat except for maybe wanting animation cancelling blocks and parries.

And no Bard as of now.

The idea is great, the execution is terrible. long combat animations that keep you locked, really really bad desync and allies blocking ranged shots are the three major issues.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I personally don't see combat animation locks going away. For one, it requires skill to know when to attack since you can't just cancel out of it, and also allows your opponent to punish if you overextend yourself. Biggest reason is this is an MMORPG, so you can't really have such quick reactions and animation cancelling without having whoever lives closest to the server being the automatic winner.

I never had any desync issues on the EU server I played on.

I don't see why allies shouldn't be blocking ranged shots. Get into a better position.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
I'm expecting this to be like amazon's other game: offensively generic

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I didn't know amazon made another game and googling "what is the other amazon game" in bing got me this one and a pacman collection

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

I didn't know amazon made another game and googling "what is the other amazon game" in bing got me this one and a pacman collection

Crucible is the other notable Amazon game, which was so bad it immediately went back into Beta after release.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

blatman posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1057240/Crucible_Beta/

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Amazon is also publishing ARK Online in the west.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Amazon is also publishing ARK Online in the west.

Since when? This wasn't always the case, surely.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GoGoGadget posted:

Since when? This wasn't always the case, surely.

Sorry, Lost ARK Online rather. https://www.mmorpg.com/lost-ark/news/lost-ark-amazon-games-and-smilegate-rpg-reach-publishing-agreement-lost-ark-speculated-2000119191 its a very recent announcement, it had no publisher for the west until now.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Apparently they have been developing an unannounced sci-fi MMO as well.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

BadLlama posted:

It's just going to be Wildstar Remastered.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
There were plenty of things to like about Wildstar except for playing it

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

NeurosisHead posted:

There were plenty of things to like about Wildstar except for playing it

Our interacting with the devs.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

BadLlama posted:

I really hope it's The Expanse

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

BadLlama posted:

Also a new Lord of the Rings MMO.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Tempora Mutantur posted:

I really hope it's The Expanse

Seems likely, given that The Expanse was originally written as an MMO setting. A fact that's honestly kinda inconvenient to know, since things like "3 factions with distinct aesthetics" really started standing out as very gamey when reading it after hearing that particular fact.

I guess the other Amazon-affiliated option is The Culture, in which case 1) cool, and b) how?

Also fun: the main characters of The Expanse are originally from a P&P campaign one of the authors GM'd in the original MMO setting with their gaming group. They have been more heavily altered than the setting, which is probably fortunate since fantasy books about the authors' tabletop characters are almost always unreadable garbage. Holden was apparently always a quixotic paladin with a spaceship instead of a horse, though.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Xerophyte posted:

Seems likely, given that The Expanse was originally written as an MMO setting. A fact that's honestly kinda inconvenient to know, since things like "3 factions with distinct aesthetics" really started standing out as very gamey when reading it after hearing that particular fact.

I guess the other Amazon-affiliated option is The Culture, in which case 1) cool, and b) how?

Also fun: the main characters of The Expanse are originally from a P&P campaign one of the authors GM'd in the original MMO setting with their gaming group. They have been more heavily altered than the setting, which is probably fortunate since fantasy books about the authors' tabletop characters are almost always unreadable garbage. Holden was apparently always a quixotic paladin with a spaceship instead of a horse, though.

The culture would be dope altho they shelved the TV series :(

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

e: nvm I'm slow

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
One of Amazon's other games: Crucible is shutting down, after being released then...un-released.

https://www.playcrucible.com/en-us/news/articles/final-crucible-developer-update

quote:

We’ll be transitioning our team to focus on New World and other upcoming projects from Amazon Games.

Maybe it's a good thing for New World? :shrug:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

With Crucible poo poo canned, I am not hopeful anymore that this game is coming out.

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007

Diephoon posted:

Maybe it's a good thing for New World? :shrug:

Most certainly not if its the same team

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I'm an idiot and preordered it to try out the preview.

TBF I liked it enough that'd I'd probably play it at least until "end game" when it comes out.

Though I guess that's IF it comes out now.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Looks like they’re still working on it and it looks pretty good to me so far.

https://youtu.be/pAqfWPa-c7E

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Pandaal posted:

Looks like they’re still working on it and it looks pretty good to me so far.

https://youtu.be/pAqfWPa-c7E

Thank you for the heads up, I would have missed this video. I am still looking forward to this game and I hope we get a release date soon.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Me too, amigo. I had a lot of fun during the preview and the game was already rock solid (and gorgeous) from a technology standpoint. The reasoning they gave for the delay was adding content and tuning combat and this video shows they’ve made big strides there. I’d have played it if they released it last August so whatever they add between now and the (hopefully soon) launch is icing on the cake for me.

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

Even more good news.

https://youtu.be/aBX6s_u5vC8

I’m personally really glad they reduced the weapons to two per since as soon as they removed the universal slot cooldowns I foresaw everyone going the paladin route and this game becoming an “everyone’s a DPS now” Destiny-style trash fire. Forcing folks to choose a commitment to high DPS via 6 cooldown abilities *or* healing (and cutting your DPS in half at least), not both, preserves the Tank/DPS/Healer trinity and reserves the high mobility of the life-staff for the squishy and helpless.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I am hoping I can do a melee weapon in one slot, and a ranged weapon in another. I want a big hammer, and a musket :hellyeah:

Pandaal
Mar 7, 2020

I said come in! posted:

I am hoping I can do a melee weapon in one slot, and a ranged weapon in another. I want a big hammer, and a musket :hellyeah:

That seems likely. I haven't read anything about restrictions on how weapons are combined besides duplicates.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I said come in! posted:

You can, but you'll need to focus on two different stats for those two specifically. Spear and Bow are both Dex, so are Hatchet and Rifle, I think?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GoGoGadget posted:

You can, but you'll need to focus on two different stats for those two specifically. Spear and Bow are both Dex, so are Hatchet and Rifle, I think?

Hatchet and Rifle works for me! Since Hatchet is 1-handed, I can probably bring in two, or maybe a shield?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Hatchet and Rifle works for me! Since Hatchet is 1-handed, I can probably bring in two, or maybe a shield?

Weapons don't work like that anymore. If you use a 1h weapon you can only have one of them, you can't dual wield, unless they recently changed that.

I can't remember if Hatchet lets you use a shield. I think shield is only with 1h sword? Shield abilities were tied to sword last I knew, anyway.

Though, even if a weapon is primarily Str, Dex will still increase its damage, although at less per point. At least for sword.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I noticed Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYZ6SBM?ref_=AGS_NW_ENUS_WBST_DM_ALL_DLX has the release date as May 25, which is a Tuesday, so it could possibly not be a placeholder. But I am not holding my breath for it coming out on that date. I am actually hoping it'll be sooner but I have plenty of games to play between now and then.

Jerry Garcia's Ghost
Jul 26, 2001

I said come in! posted:

I noticed Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HYZ6SBM?ref_=AGS_NW_ENUS_WBST_DM_ALL_DLX has the release date as May 25, which is a Tuesday, so it could possibly not be a placeholder. But I am not holding my breath for it coming out on that date. I am actually hoping it'll be sooner but I have plenty of games to play between now and then.

They are going to have to have a player test at some point then it will be back to the drawing board again. I am guessing mid summer at the earliest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

quote:

Today we announced the move of New World's launch from Spring 2021 to August 31, 2021. We considered this decision very carefully but need to take the time to add new features, tune, and polish. We are committed to delivering a high quality experience.

With this launch date, closed beta will begin on July 20th. Please visit our development blog at the link below to learn more about our roadmap and new features such as five-player Expeditions, the 20 vs. 20 Outpost Rush, and an additional territory, Ebonscale Reach.