Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Resting Lich Face
Feb 21, 2019

This case of an intraperitoneal zucchini is unusual, and does raise questions as to how hard one has to push a blunt vegetable to perforate the rectum.

Biohazard posted:

drat that looks loving delicious. I’m definitely making this soon.

OP I don’t have the link right now, but bon apetit has a video for mushroom larb that I watched this morning and it looked great.

The New York Times recipe is excellent I'd recommend it. If it feels like it's missing something add more of the spices as the recipe is written very conservatively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Resting Lich Face posted:

I think I already told you to make shakshuka in this thread but if I haven't: make shakshuka.

My wife already makes that occasionally. I know all about it. good stuff.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
OK, started officially today. I was gonna wait until Friday, but I have everything ready to go, so why wait? Made some migas for breakfast, was excellent. Putting that mushroom larb on the menu, that poo poo looks delicious.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Resting Lich Face posted:

I think I already told you to make shakshuka in this thread but if I haven't: make shakshuka.

do it op

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

I said like 2 posts up that we already eat it on the reg.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Started Jan 1. This has been really easy: I didn't realize that a bunch of unhealthy foods cater to vegetarianism. I've subsisted on vegetarian bean and jalapeno chimichangas, vegetarian pizza, and corn chex.

Once the kids get back in school I'll buckle down and get a buncha healthier vegetarian recipes. I like to cook... well, I like to say "I'm gonna cook dinner" and then spend a quiet evening calmly making a big dish while my wife watchees the kids.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

OP, what ever happened with your vegetarianism? Did you die? Did you find vegetable Jesus? Are you skinny now?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Biohazard posted:

OP, what ever happened with your vegetarianism? Did you die? Did you find vegetable Jesus? Are you skinny now?

Eatin veggies up in heaven now :rip:

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I didn't die and it loving sucked. There are less lovely ways of losing weight, like home liposuction with a shop vac. I just kind of stopped posting here because some rear end in a top hat goons couldn't get over the fact that I was allowed an occasional bit of fish.

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

The Dregs posted:

I didn't die and it loving sucked. There are less lovely ways of losing weight, like home liposuction with a shop vac. I just kind of stopped posting here because some rear end in a top hat goons couldn't get over the fact that I was allowed an occasional bit of fish.

lol yeah I was one of those. Glad you didn’t die tho!

Did you find any recipes you liked?

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Dregs posted:

lol thats what i said when i did it back in high school. Except for the goon part. Fish owns. Just be a pescatarian. Get mercury poisoning like the rest of us.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Checking in after going veg Jan 1 due to this thread.

I can't believe how easy it's been: Vegetarian beans, burritos, jalapeno poppers... there's so many delicious foods. I did have fish twice, chicken once, and red meat in a lasagna once (those were all at family events where no good veggie proteins were available). But I'm definitely sticking with this.

Now, to cut the sodium. I just looked at the sodium content for most of my new favs and it's bad, y'all. What are some good, delicious low-salt veg foods? I have no dietary restrictions, I eat anything, I am a walking garbage disposal.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Cook yourself instead of eating out/“cooking” by nuking a TV dinner/eating plain cheese pizzas sent by a stalker. That makes it very easy to cut sodium.

Also for less obvious things. For example, buy dried beans and cook them yourself instead of getting cooked beans. It requires a bit of planning (cooking beans takes a day), but really isn’t much more effort once you get the hang of it (dump beans + water + vegetables in slow cooker in evening/morning, wait, done).

Biohazard
Apr 17, 2002

Drunk Nerds posted:

I can't believe how easy it's been: Vegetarian beans, burritos, jalapeno poppers... there's so many delicious foods. I did have fish twice, chicken once, and red meat in a lasagna once (those were all at family events where no good veggie proteins were available). But I'm definitely sticking with this.

Now, to cut the sodium. I just looked at the sodium content for most of my new favs and it's bad, y'all. What are some good, delicious low-salt veg foods? I have no dietary restrictions, I eat anything, I am a walking garbage disposal.

Do you notice any differences? Feel better/worse? Are you shits massive and strong due to the increased level of fiber?

Cutting sodium can be pretty tricky unless you make your own food, which you should do because it's awesome and better (regardless of meat).

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

The Dregs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lco9Ki-5qfQ

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Biohazard posted:

Did you find any recipes you liked?

I have grown to love savory oatmeal with peanut butter, turmeric, and garam masala. I've been eating it about 3 times a week.

klafbang posted:

Cook yourself instead of eating out/“cooking” by nuking a TV dinner/eating plain cheese pizzas sent by a stalker. That makes it very easy to cut sodium.

90% of our meals here are home cooked already.

Biohazard posted:

Do you notice any differences? Feel better/worse? Are you shits massive and strong due to the increased level of fiber?

Cutting sodium can be pretty tricky unless you make your own food, which you should do because it's awesome and better (regardless of meat).

I didn't really feel better until I started skipping breakfast and stopped eating after dinner. that is what really helped me. I have lost 10 pounds since I started that. At the beginning of going vegetarian I had massive, bowl hurting shits for the first week, but then it evened out.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Jan 30, 2020

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Biohazard posted:

Yeah that's probably going to do it. I usually cook from scratch but I've been doing a lot of prepackaged while I learn to cook veg. Feb 1 I'll switch to at least 12 scratch cooked meals per week.

I haven't noticed much difference except I'm not as groggy the morning after drinking. I was able to quit caffeine because of it

OP thanks for making this thread. I posted "it was easy!" Befote reading your post about how difficult it was for you, it was not my intent to slight you but as I reread this page I definitely come off that way. Sorry!

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Drunk Nerds posted:

Yeah that's probably going to do it. I usually cook from scratch but I've been doing a lot of prepackaged while I learn to cook veg. Feb 1 I'll switch to at least 12 scratch cooked meals per week.

I haven't noticed much difference except I'm not as groggy the morning after drinking. I was able to quit caffeine because of it

OP thanks for making this thread. I posted "it was easy!" Befote reading your post about how difficult it was for you, it was not my intent to slight you but as I reread this page I definitely come off that way. Sorry!

Nah man, I imagine it is easy for some people. Not me. I like my meat too much

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

you don't actually have to join an ideology or stop eating meat to eat a bean or a mushroom once in a while

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

poverty goat posted:

you don't actually have to join an ideology or stop eating meat to eat a bean or a mushroom once in a while
how about Trotskyism???

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The Dregs posted:

It's almost like people don't like it when people intentionally misidentify stuff and keep doing it while going "haha gently caress you".

Maybe if you'd taken literally any advice in the thread it wouldn't have sucked. There's loads of amazing veg food and you seemed pretty hardcore into the mindset of rice and beans. While there's nothing wrong with rice and beans, drat, man. We are more than that.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Sodium is a replacement for animal fat in most cases with regard to vegetarian food. Remember that you don't have to have a heavy protein at every meal, too.

Is most of your sodium coming from processed food or are you adding it manually? The best changes I've made are just cooking with plain old tofu instead of lazy rear end veggie burgers and getting no-salt-added canned stuff (like tomato sauce) for my meals and stuff like that.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

hey op you ever try eating....

rear end?

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow
Being vegetarian is so easy in 2020 America honestly

Meanwhile I was directed to the cold salad bar for my vegan options at the corporate lunch :argh: cook stuff without butter jeez

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I didn't read the thread but is OP eating only easy mac, cheese pizza and soda for the month?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rat posted:

Being vegetarian is so easy in 2020 America honestly

Meanwhile I was directed to the cold salad bar for my vegan options at the corporate lunch :argh: cook stuff without butter jeez

just eat it an don't be a bitch

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

Bip Roberts posted:

just eat it an don't be a bitch
Nah I ate the salad. A lot of salad

I can wait to feed myself until later I'm not eating animal product crap lol

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Rat posted:

Nah I ate the salad. A lot of salad

I can wait to feed myself until later I'm not eating animal product crap lol

loving owned

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

It's almost like people don't like it when people intentionally misidentify stuff and keep doing it while going "haha gently caress you".

Maybe if you'd taken literally any advice in the thread it wouldn't have sucked. There's loads of amazing veg food and you seemed pretty hardcore into the mindset of rice and beans. While there's nothing wrong with rice and beans, drat, man. We are more than that.

Sodium is a replacement for animal fat in most cases with regard to vegetarian food. Remember that you don't have to have a heavy protein at every meal, too.

Is most of your sodium coming from processed food or are you adding it manually? The best changes I've made are just cooking with plain old tofu instead of lazy rear end veggie burgers and getting no-salt-added canned stuff (like tomato sauce) for my meals and stuff like that.

Being a Mexican, rice and beans are a staple for me and I love them. A lot of people here are assuming the I never eat vegetables and that I'm 100 percent a carnivorous fast food junkie. I'm not and I never was. I just eat too much. We cook almost all of our meals round here and lunch is usually leftovers.

The main problem is, as this thread is already reminding me, that vegetarians are assholes. I have no intention of joining them in their assholery.

The Dregs fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 30, 2020

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Rat posted:

cook stuff without butter jeez

lol

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

The Dregs posted:

Being a Mexican, rice and beans are a staple for me and I love them. A lot of people here are assuming the I never eat vegetables and that I'm 100 percent a carnivorous fast food junkie. I'm not and I never was. I just eat too much. We cook almost all of our meals round here and lunch is usually leftovers.

The main problem is, as this thread is already reminding me, that vegetarians are assholes. I have no intention of joining them in their assholery.

can confirm i live in ops refuse bin and eat his garbage. great cooks those mexicans

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kazr posted:

hey op you ever try eating....

rear end?

:eyepop:

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

potato is best vegetable

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I went vegetarian for a few weeks just for kicks after realizing the keto diet was horrible and turns out it's not that bad. I did miss meat in general and I was curious so I added fake meats when applicable and Gardein was by far the best IMO. MorningStar can go gently caress itself, those spicy black bean burgers were good for a bit but then I started to notice the aftertaste and it was really gross.

The Smartlife veggie hot dogs are kinda like the diet coke of cheap hot dogs taste wise but if you throw some condiments or chili on them you won't really notice. Same with vegan corndogs or "chicken" strips/nuggets/patties. The worst thing about them is that they are a little bland. I don't know how to cook tofu so I just didn't try.

I never got into the whole cashew cheese or vegan butter or vegan cheese or stuff like that. I'd totally try it if someone offered it to me, but gently caress me I'm not doing all that effort on my own. A lot of what my broke-rear end eats is already vegetarian at least. Pbjs, crackers, nuts, fruit, etc. It was the big dinners or the meal preps that made me adjust.

It's hard, though. A big pork shoulder will absolutely last you a week with pulled pork and it's so drat cheap. The cravings for meat are hard and thinking about how you can just cook a big hunk and eat it all week in varying ways with almost no effort is harder for a lazy gently caress like me.

Things like veg based chili, casseroles or soup really made it easier because they were easy af to just reheat instead of giving into that craving for some goddamn MEAT RIGHT NOW.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

The Dregs posted:

LOL yeah sure Budd that's the problem and not that you went into this already heavily prejudiced.

E: props though for actually trying this, I'm not gonna pretend like switching suddenly like that is easy, cause it isn't.

Son of Rodney fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jan 30, 2020

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

The Dregs posted:

Hey! Same! When i went veggie i ate rice and frijoles de la olla. Also salsa. So much drat salsa. I loved it. A lil queso fresco and BAM. Baller rear end protein bowl.

Rat
Dec 12, 2006

meow

empty sea posted:

I went vegetarian for a few weeks just for kicks after realizing the keto diet was horrible and turns out it's not that bad.

It's hard, though. A big pork shoulder will absolutely last you a week with pulled pork and it's so drat cheap. The cravings for meat are hard and thinking about how you can just cook a big hunk and eat it all week in varying ways with almost no effort is harder for a lazy gently caress like me.

I used to be a meat loving person that couldn't wait to try any kind of meat in any amount. Did keto and it disgusted me thinking about the excess consumption of animal products. Depressed me

Went vegan overnight one day. Those meat cravings end after about a month in my experience. And then you get the vegan superpowers

What's cheaper and healthier than a pork shoulder? Vegan chili. Make it with lentils, mushrooms, peppers, beans, etc. So inexpensive and far more satiating. And drat good. I add gardein beefless crumbles, and my omni friends are into it too

Plus it's pretty easy to learn to make your own seitan and other alternatives (like veg patties) and it's wildly cheaper than store options

Coming up on 3 years now, don't miss the meat or the grocery bill. I eat well for relatively little. I do cook most of my meals. If I have less will to cook, my city has dozens of veg restaurants and so many more with good options or vegan nights. I'd never go hungry looking around for a good meal

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Big secret THEY don't want you to know...

Every food is made of protein!!

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

My personal experience has been that how much people struggle with vegetarianism/veganism is directly proportional to how bad they are at cooking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Rat posted:

I used to be a meat loving person that couldn't wait to try any kind of meat in any amount. Did keto and it disgusted me thinking about the excess consumption of animal products. Depressed me

Went vegan overnight one day. Those meat cravings end after about a month in my experience. And then you get the vegan superpowers

What's cheaper and healthier than a pork shoulder? Vegan chili. Make it with lentils, mushrooms, peppers, beans, etc. So inexpensive and far more satiating. And drat good. I add gardein beefless crumbles, and my omni friends are into it too

Plus it's pretty easy to learn to make your own seitan and other alternatives (like veg patties) and it's wildly cheaper than store options

Coming up on 3 years now, don't miss the meat or the grocery bill. I eat well for relatively little. I do cook most of my meals. If I have less will to cook, my city has dozens of veg restaurants and so many more with good options or vegan nights. I'd never go hungry looking around for a good meal

Brings a b12 deficient tear to my eye. Also I made vegan chilli yesterday in my slow cooker was so good