Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
Hey, just wanted to say that this LP was one of the reasons I registered here in the first place, and I'm glad to see it will always have a home somewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Empress Theonora posted:

Who knows what the future will hold, but I've put up a quick-and-dirty mirror of the whole LP on my own hosting. Even if SA doesn't explode, this was probably still worth making so you don't need Archives to go read the original thread.

Thank you, I've been wondering about the earlier thread for some time now.

TheDavies fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jun 25, 2020

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Archived versions of the thread with the discussions intact are now available at http://saarchiver.com/

I don't know how to link to individual threads there, but if you search for "Blood" in the searchbar they'll be there.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I keep expecting everything to fall through at the last minute, but it seems like things may turn out okay after all? In which case I guess the thread will be able to stay right where it is.

Fingers crossed, I guess.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Empress Theonora posted:

I keep expecting everything to fall through at the last minute, but it seems like things may turn out okay after all? In which case I guess the thread will be able to stay right where it is.

Fingers crossed, I guess.

Fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes ...

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Technowolf posted:

Fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes ...

*contorts entire body into the shape of a chi rho somehow*

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Best wishes with all this. I appreciate ByzLP immensely and I will follow it wherever it ends up.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

I also intend to keep following. I didn't post much, but ByzLP rules, I also thought your webcomic was very cool!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Kangxi posted:

Best wishes with all this. I appreciate ByzLP immensely and I will follow it wherever it ends up.

Same here. Your Tibet LP as well, Kangxi.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Going to bump the thread with a dumb shitpost so it doesn't fall into archives or anything:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Just wanted to say I really like this LP too, chief.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Member of the mod team here, just making a post to keep the thread out of archives ahead of the upcoming post on the 2nd German Civil War.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

What a coincidence, I just wrapped up some research on the Bavarian Soviet Republic. Glad to see things are still rolling.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Kangxi posted:

Member of the mod team here, just making a post to keep the thread out of archives ahead of the upcoming post on the 2nd German Civil War.

Same

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

PART SEVENTY-EIGHT: Antifaschistische Aktion (May 2, 1937 - July 17, 1938)

Dear Ingrid,
When we got the news the Byzantines were sending some volunteers to the NGF, the first thing I thought was-- well, the first thing I thought of is all the long discussions we used to have on the phone. Me at the base simultaneously bored out of my skull and worried things might blow up at any moment, you excitedly telling me everything you'd been learning at university.

The second thing I thought was that whatever was coming our way from Byzantium was something along the lines of the other volunteers who've already shown up to fight the good fight and been organized into international brigades by the NGF. Maybe a bit less like us here in the XXVI (a rattlebag of nationalities-- refugees from Bohemia or like us, German emigrés coming home to pitch in, idealistic liberals from the Allies, bitter liberals sick of the RRP, etc., etc.) and a bit more like the brigades organized around a single nationality or affiliation (the XXI and XXII are mostly Japanese and Sillan, the X and XVI are homegrown German Reds, whatever). Maybe with a bit of a wink and nod from the Byzantine government.

Which would be appreciated, obviously. But meanwhile the fash are sending in full divisions of regular infantry.

But apparently relief for the NGF passed the legislature with near-unanimous support, so the Byzzies were feeling confident enough to just send five entire landship divisions (which the Byzantines insist on calling cavalry for some goddamn reason but whatever). So that's nice! I mean, I have to ask where these guys were when Bohemia was under attack, and the Germans probably remember what you told me about that Byzantine Commune expeditionary force that was running around trying to prop up Müller, but whatever. They're tired. We're all tired. If the Byzantines decided to finally show up, good for them. Maybe the fash won't chase me out of two countries, now.

After all, several hundred LS/3 Reyhan and LD/1 Aphrodite landships kind of speak for themselves, right?

I hope you, Uncle Johan, and Aunt Edita are keeping safe. I know you're pretty far from the frontlines, but I worry anyway.

Your sister,
Viktorie

Dear Viktorie,

Did you know that Byzantine landships are named after the presidents of the old Byzantine Republic? The LD/1 is named after Aphrodite de Bassot, and LS/3 is named for Reyhan Hamzaoğlu, who was left to pick up the pieces from the Containment War and steered the Republic through its own civil war. It's a terribly appropriate name, given the circumstances-- the NGF sees itself as carrying the torch of Julian liberalism the Byzantines dropped in 1883, and endured a humiliating defeat at the hands of an imperial rival before finding itself mired in a civil war.

Reyhan Hamzaoğlu, Eleventh President of the Byzantine Republic

It's just a coincidence, obviously-- I think this naming scheme goes back to the first landships Byzantium deployed back in the Second Great War-- but it's a
nice coincidence.

Please don't worry about us out here in Frankfurt am Main. Things are normal enough Okay, things aren't even remotely normal, obviously. There's air raid drills every day, the streets feel like they're emptying out as more and more people join up as volunteers and go to the front, everyone is worried all the time. You'd think that between everything that happened back home and everything I've studied, I'd be used to the patina of unreality that settles over whatever zombified semblance of everyday life shuffles forward when you're living through a big historical event, or at least numbed to it, but it's still weird.

But even though it's weird, it's not
dangerous yet. You're the one risking your life out there, you're the one I'm always hoping is keeping safe. Aren't you deployed around Hannover? I've heard the fighting's bad over there. So-- to the extent it's possible in the middle of a war, please take care of yourself.

Love,
Ingrid

Dear Ingrid,

O.K., so, yeah, the XXVI is in Hannover-- which is also where the Byzantines showed up. Now that their boots (landship treads, whatever) are on the ground-- is it just me or are they really cool? General Ha even came around to meet us-- the international brigades, the poor German regulars who haven't had a moment's rest since the damned Lightning War, the mechanics and support workers who kept their landships fueled and running-- the regular folks. She makes a point of speaking German. It's a sort of German I can barely keep up with, even after having a whole year in the NGF to brush up on it-- her accent is very southern-- almost Austrian, really, peppered with Mandarin and Arabic loanwords, but it's a nice gesture-- even if half the time she's conferring with NGF officers they end up falling back on another language they have in common-- Latin, of all things (???). Anyway, I even got to pose for a haidagraph with her!

From left: General Valentina Ha, an unidentified Byzantine NCO, an unidentified German infantryman, Corporal Viktorie Kučerová of the XXVI Internationale Brigaden 'Republik', an unidentified German infantrywoman

Sometimes they seem like they've stepped right out of some pulpy Anita Andretti story. Which bothered me at first, honestly-- like they were taking all of this too lightly. They don't have skin in the game like we do-- whatever danger fascism poses to Byzantium, it's still abstract and in the future, when the Germans are fighting for their country now, when so many of us in the international brigades already have lost their countries. I bet exactly zero of the things you said about Frankfurt were going on in Byzantium

But when the fash were trying to make a push from Magdeburg and our lines were starting to buckle, the Ha and her landships were there more or less immediately, jumping right into the thick of things.

Maybe Byzantium doesn't have skin in the game like we do, but the Byzantine Antifascist Volunteers sure do!

So perhaps a certain amount of jauntiness can be excused. They're in the mud and the muck with the rest of us, after all, and doing a drat fine job at it.

Your sister,
Viktorie

Dear Viktorie,

Wow! I can't believe you got to meet General Ha! I've read so much about her in the papers-- she was one of the new generals who swept in with the 'new guard' a while back, and was in command of the entire Army of the Alps until she came to Germany.

She's from Istria, which is this peninsula just south of Austria the Roman Empire conquered in the mid-15th century or so-- one of the last new territories added to the empire before the Deluge rolled around, if I recall correctly (My historical atlas is still in Prague somewhere, probably).

She's just one piece of the sweeping reforms Tribune Erdemir's making to the Byzantine military's command structure-- the papers are full of articles about the latest shifts in the high command, a lot of them in direct response to what's happening in Germany; Tereza Arnand, who wrote the proverbial book of landship tactics, has just been appointed to the general staff, largely as a result of General Ha putting theory into practice so vividly.

From what we've heard, the frontline has stabilized, which is good news-- if it's true, anyway. The enemy's true numbers and strategic disposition aren't exactly public knowledge, and I can't help but think that "boosting morale" is as important as "being a truthful record of events" to the war journalists following the NGF armies.

Stay safe. I saw some newsreel footage of landships, and they were terrifying enough on the big screen-- I can't imagine what facing one down on the battlefield feels like.

Love,
Ingrid

Dear Ingrid,

Well, you heard right-- the fash's thrust towards Hanover has been parried, at least for the moment. Even the French regulars who showed up have called off major offensive operations. I'm sure they'll be back when they get their ducks in a row, but it's breathing room, so I'll take it.

So let their propaganda crow about some French boxer knocking out Scandinavia's guy proving the superior martial prowess of Rome or whatever.

We both know that's not the sort of strength that determines the fate of nations.

I'm no Red, and I'm not qualified to say if the version of history they paint is any more accurate than the fascist fever dreams that put jewel thieves at the head of armies. But I do think they've got a better sense of how the present works. Hard to argue with that, when we've seen the kind of power they can bring to bear. Bring to bear for our sake, even.

The landships themselves are impressive, terrifying weapons of war. But the real power is everything that had to happen to get them on the field-- the valor of their crews, the hard work that keeps their vehicles gassed up and in good working order, the teamsters and lorry-drivers and railwaymen that all collaborate to deliver supplies to a war zone, the workers in factories, foundries, and farms all those supplies came from in the first place.

And on and on, all manifesting a democratic mandate of the people.

O.K., maybe I'm a little bit of a Red. Byzantines are rubbing off on me, I guess. Or maybe I just have a pro-Byz bias from all those talks we've had.

Anyway. We're making a push for Magdeburg, now.

Fingers crossed!

Everyone's taking notes for the next war.

Your sister,
Viktorie

Dear Viktorie,

Obviously we know a lot less about what's
really happening on the frontlines, but we've still heard that the drive towards Magdeburg has gotten bogged down in an HRE counteroffensive. By all accounts, the NGF and Byzantine forces are doing a fine job of enduring the onslaught. But I suppose if they weren't, we civilians behind the lines would be the last to hear about it.

I also worry about the south, honestly. I feel like we get way less news about that-- it's less flashy than columns of landships from the great powers of the Near West duking it out. Possibly the situation's just been more static down there, so there just isn't that much news to begin with. But I worry.

Meanwhile, the situation around Magdenburg is anything but static, apparently. Reading between the lines of press reports, it really seems like 'holding the line' means a lot of rushing back and forth to try try to plug holes in the defensive pickets before the HRE can break through. But all this feels like guesswork, and I don't like that. When I studied historical wars, you have all the information you'd ever need right in front of you. And you know how it turns out, so you can pay attention to the specific strands of the story that mean something in the end.

Trying to follow a war as it happens from newspapers and newsreels and official communications is like trying to see the horizon through a thick layer of fog. I've read about NGF and allied forces trying to halt an HRE crossing over the Elbe. Is it just grist for the mill? A fascist feint? A thrust towards Hannover?

An attempted pincer in conjunction with the forces advancing from Magdeburg? Questions and questions and questions, with no answer in sight except for in a distant posterity. Assuming there even
is a posterity to speak of after all this, and assuming I'll be around to see it.

The Gallic forces in the theater are under the command of Victoire Lefort Hanseatica. She wasn't
born with the name "Hanseatica," obviously-- it's a agnomen bestowed upon her by Valeria, since that's yet another thing they've tried to bring back. A lot of old Roman cognomina were bestowed as honors referring to the sites of military victories (real or imagined-- Publius Cornelius Scipio received the agnomen Africanus for his success in North Africa during the Second Punic War, Gaius Caesar Augustus Germanicus-- aka Caligula-- got his for being the grandson of a guy who had won victories in Germany, Commodus eventually tacked on so many superlative honorifics to his name that he was able to rename all twelve months after himself). The practice mostly ended after the reign of Heraclius-- there were a few attempts to revive use of victory titles at various points during the Komnenos, First Yaroslavovich, Radziwill, and Second Yaroslavovich dynasties, but for the most part they'd been so diluted by over-use that those later emperors and empresses found better ways to express their imperial megalomania than just sticking a laundry list of traditional Roman enemies onto their names.

Praetor Laurentin Vannier Rhenanicus and Praetor Augustine Guilbert Germanica

But in the Gallic Empire, everything old is new again! Valeria's field marshals got the grandest titles--
Rhenanicus and Germanica-- for their part in the humiliation of North Germany and conquest of the Rhineland. But the generals under them got their share of honorifics, too.

Legate Victoire Lefort Hanseatica

Lefort's efforts in the Lightning War were concentrated along the North Sea, in the cities once dominated by
hanse-- merchant's guilds-- which included Hamburg. Hence- 'Hanseatica' So the Byzantines weren't the only one to pick a general with some local association, I guess.

Easy to find the seeds of the present in the past, but obviously I can't let that convince me I can extrapolate the future with any accuracy. The war hangs in the balance, everything is balanced on a knife's edge, and reading historical tea leaves isn't going to sort out the future.

Stay safe. Please.

Love,
Ingrid

Dear Ingrid,

O.K., now we're advancing in earnest. Word has it that the Byzantines pushed for a renewed offensive with the German High Command-- Ha argued that a purely defensive war would eventually grind us down through pure attrition. Can't say I disagree.

Byzantine landships are the tip of the spear, obviously-- the hope is that they can punch through the HRE lines and then let NGF regulars flood in through the gaps, pushing the HRE out of Magdeburg and right back to the Elbe.

The fash are still grinding forward to the north and south, making for Hamburg and Erfurt. If they're successful, the Magdeburg offensive might end up in a salient and then get their asses kicked. But we need to try something, right?

Ha's giving it her all, naturally. We aren't just pieces of a gameboard to her, you know? I've heard about some of those Byzantine officers from the 1GW, drinking wine in their villas while their soldiers die in a ditch on the Oaxacan killing fields. She's not like that. She's putting herself on the line, too.

So I trust her, which is more than I can say for a lot of generals. She's become quite the expert in fighting in terrain like this, fighting in winter. But she's adaptable, too-- it's July now and she's still forging onward. Fighting with us. Bleeding with us.

It's possible I'm a bit star-struck, honestly. But still-- if we'd had a general like her back in Bohemia, maybe all of this would've been different. Even without the sort of infrastructure at their back General Ha's got, even.

She knows a lot of eyes are on her. The Byzantine Commune at large is focusing more and more on the struggle against fascism in general and the German Civil War in particular.

Later. She sent three divisions down to relieve Erfurt, since the line was starting to buckle dangerously. The hope is that they can then swing north and link up with the forces advancing of Magdeburg, encircling all the fash armies caught in the middle. Fingers crossed! They've already managed to push HRE lines back towards Leipzig.

Could be they'll go and take Leipzig, too.

Things are beginning to tilt in our favor. I just know it.

Things have been (relatively) quiet up here-- the XXVI and the two armored divisions under Ha that stayed behind to hold down the fort in the north stayed behind when the rest of the Byzzies swept south towards Erfurt and Leipzig. Probably because the fash are concentrating all their attention down there, too. They're trying to advance along a wide front, and it smacks of desperation-- they're charging right into the teeth of Byzantine armor and NGF mechanized infantry.

Just received word that we're being sent with the other Byzantine divisions down to the Erfurt-Leipzig mess. Increasingly looking like what started out as a feint could be where the war's decided.

Will write again ASAP.

Your sister,
Viktorie

Dear Ingrid (again),

All right, so, it hasn't been long enough for me to have gotten your reply to my last letter, but a lot is happening, so I'm just going to send another one right after it.

First of all, I knew my hunch from before was correct when the HRE offensive towards Erfurt stalled out and their lines began to crumble in the aftermath.

More Byzantine landships and lorries are arriving on the frontlines every day. Not just replacing losses, either-- at this point, I'm convinced they've got more landships than they arrived with, now. (OOC: because I'd like just edited my armored division template before things popped off in the NGF :rip: which is also why their supply looks low in some of these screenshots despite the fact that they're still performing well. I think? I played this update in, like, April. God, gently caress 2020.)

And the factories churning them out are getting more and more quick at doing so. Shouldn't be surprising, really-- I remember that cement factory you told me about with something like twenty thousand workers, and you don't have a place like that unless you're good at organizing huge numbers of people for huge industrial efforts.

So the long-awaited push back up towards Magdeburg finally happened, and the two fronts merged into one wide, rolling battle.

Finally, after some tough-- and frankly terrifying-- artillery duels and clashes between Byzantine and Polish armor, we broke through. The way to Magdeburg seemed wide open.

The fash made some effort to plug the gap, of course. But you could tell the situation was deteriorating-- each HRE army sent to defend Magdeburg's west flank was more outmatched than the last.

All they could do was delay the inevitable, though. Almost feel sorry for the poor bastards on the other side-- having to try and fight off a column of landships with infantry when you haven't even gotten the chance to dig in properly is an awful way to go.

But, well, if they didn't want to die horribly maybe they shouldn't have picked up a gun to fight for a fascist jewel thief's coup and start a war that's left 600,000 people dead.

What happens when a defensive line begins to break down is obviously something the Byzantines are very interested in, given the appallingly long frontline the probably inevitable WRE-RRP showdown is looking to have.

Anyway, the Byzantine landship divisions then used their speed to wheel around and encircle an army under Lefort (I'm not going to give her the dignity of an honorific).

Leaving the NGF regulars to mop up Lefort, General Ha just kept on driving north towards Hannover.

A successful drive, obviously, which left yet another HRE force encircled. I'm sure you've read about it in the papers by now. People are calling it the war's turning point. I'll believe it when I see it, but I am feeling a lot more optimistic. Watching the fash get a taste of their own guerre eclair is satisfying. Marching into liberated Hannover was even more satisfying. It's put some wind in our sails.

Maybe one day we'll march back into Prague like that.

I hope you're still safe in Frankfurt. I mean, I guess there's not any reason to think you're not-- the fighting's moved pretty far away by now. But I'm your big sister, so I kind of have to worry about you. But let me be a little less of a downer-- Christmas is just around the corner! I hope you, Aunt Edita, and Uncle Johan have as happy a Christmas as can be managed, considering the circumstances. Next year we'll all be together for it. Know it.

Your sister,
Viktoire

Dear Viktoire,

Oh, did we
ever hear about Hannover out here. I think I saw you in one of the newsreels, even! Or someone who looked like you from a distance, in a uniform, standing in a column of other people wearing the same uniform. O.K., it probably wasn't you, but it was somewhere you've been, at least!

Your second letter actually got here before the first, somehow. Can't imagine how that happened-- but we got the second one on Christmas Eve, and I can't think of a better present than knowing you're doing all right out there.

Although I guess the fighting went on like it was any other day. Some of the papers have called the string of victories we won on the 25th and 26th a Christmas miracle, which frankly seems a bit gauche. Anyway, the woman actually winning those victories is a Muslim, and most of the Christians in her forces would probably celebrate Christmas on January 7th. Well, unless they're Gallicans, anyway. And of course the Bogomilists who are still Christiany enough to celebrate Christmas at all do it on any which day. Calendars are weird.

That diversity's part of the reason I like Byzantine so much, why out of all of thousand and thousands of years of human history, they're the ones I ended up studying. All these people, all this history, all these cultures and traditions are all alive in something that's constantly changing, constantly reinventing itself, but still hanging together.

It's the exact opposite of the sort of world the fascists want-- all of Europe (All of the Near West? The whole world?) speaking one language, part of one nation, one empire, one Rome.

Field Marshal Miriam Kerr of the NGF 4th Army Group, Field Marshal Gertrud Fleischer of the NGF 1st Army Group

Rumors are flying that Field Marshal Kerr's mulling over an offensive towards Berlin, which would've seemed completely unrealistic just a few months ago.

There's a definite sense of the tide turning, anyway. But I don't need to tell you that the only way to be sure something's a real turning-point is in retrospect.

It's not like matters are settled in the north yet, either (which I guess I also don't need to tell you since you're literally there, duh). Seems a bit premature to worry about Berlin when we've still got Byzantine landships and NGF regulars still trying to link up for an attack on Hamburg.

Later: Knew it was premature to start drawing up a road map to Berlin. The NGF forces advancing on Hamburg from the north got pushed back, and managed to lose Kiel in the process.

In the south, though, Valentina Ha's still the tip of the spear, trying to get across the Elbe. Probably safe to say
she's not getting pushed back anytime soon.

Just heard Magdeburg was finally liberated. At the beginning of this awful war, everyone seemed to think the campaign for Magdeburg would be the fulcrum the whole conflict turned on. Now it's practically an afterthought. Still good news though, especially after the setbacks in Kiel.

The Gauls seem to think they see the writing on the wall, too. Hanseatica is still fighting on, but Valeria herself is already looking elsewhere for allies now that Kunigunde's Holy Roman Empire is looking like a bad investment.

They've been friends, enemies, sister nations, joint defenders of Orthodox Christianity, a grand unified empire, bitter rivals, and wary neighbors, but through all that time Byzantium and Kiev-- Russia-- the Third Rome-- have been bound to one another. Might not have the industrial might a fascist Germany would've brought to bear, but that historical tie, that unbroken continuity with Kiev-Byzantium, and thence with the Roman Empire under the Komnenoi, St. Valeria, and all the rest-- is probably more important. Maybe it is, even. Valeria's got a way of warping reality around her, and history's the medium she does it in.

It's obvious to anyone who's even sort of following the news that the apparatus of the Third Roman state is rapidly faltering. But if anyone can bring it back from the brink, it's the WRE, ready to forge it into a potent weapon pointed at the Byzantine Commune's heart.

And then absorb it into their own vision of Rome, presumably. Valeria might respect Third Rome's history, but in the end her propagandists are probably more than up to the task of incorporating it into the story of a single Roman Empire, eternal and unbreaking.

God, gently caress the fascists.

Love,
Ingrid

Dear Ingrid,

God, can you believe fascist Hamburg is still hanging in there, somehow? Can't imagine it can hold on for that much longer, though.

The Byzzies have officially led the charge across the Elbe and I don't think the fash are going to have much luck getting them back onto their bank.

And that's how the holdouts in Hamburg and the reoccupied territory around Kiel went from being the frontlines to a pocket. Serves 'em right, really.

I'm honestly amazed at how fast the frontlines are moving, now. 1GW this ain't, apparently.

I've come to admire the Byzantines, too, although maybe for reasons a bit less poetic than yours. They just... they just seem like they know what they're doing, you know? I feel like people lead good lives over there. And they've certainly been a big help to us. (Can't help but wonder where all these landships and volunteers and talented generals were when Poland was devouring Bohemia, though.)

Later: Whoops, there goes Kiel!

Lefort's been sacked, I guess. This new guy Matieu Philippon ("Corvus", which is even dumber than being named after some battle you won, honestly.)

Legate Matieu Philippon Corvus

Also, I'm pretty sure there was a villain in an Anita Andretti who looked just like that guy? Except without the eyepatch. Makes him a decent enough foil for Valentina, I guess, since she's also right out of a pulpy novel or a movie serial.

But as you've pointed out, again and again and again, things the world doesn't actually work like that; there's no narrative logic to the course of events. Not only do the good guys not always win, but there might not even be the consolation of some sort of moving, tragic ending. Plenty of people I know have had their stories end when they're hit by shrapnel, or shot dead by a sniper, or caught by friendly fire, or just in the sort of mundane accident that'll happen when you're moving so many many people around under such hard conditions. You pick up a gun to protect your country from the fash, or for revenge because you couldn't protect your country so you'll protect that one, or any other number of grand ends, and then you just get hit by a truck carrying gas cans to some landships or whatever.

I've gotten the impression that whenever history seems to wrap itself up too neatly, that's almost always a deliberately imposed narrative. Sometimes it's historians just trying to make sense of an unknowable past. Sometimes it's an ex post facto attempt at self-justification, which is sort of the fash's go-to move.

Sometimes the actors on the world's stage are trying, very self-consciously, to not just do things but to make capital-H History. The British finally ditched their monarchy, and all the Byzantines and other Reds in the international brigades are excited by this historical moment-- here, even as Kunigunde von Starschedel is trying to dig up the Holy Roman Empire's bones, Great Britain is shedding the last vestiges of their historical connection to the HRE, the Habsburgs, Gregor the Great, etc., etc.

But also: a much better way to bury that legacy would to be here fighting her directly, like the Byzantines are, like those of us who got out of Bohemia are. And, yeah, there are a few Brits amongst the international brigades-- pretty much every RRP nation has a net export of starry-eyed idealists-- but it's not the kind of effort they've put into a symbolic blow against empire.

So the story of the German Civil War certainly seems like it's turning out in our favor. After Kiel fell, encircling Hamburg was easily accomplished, and with that done, it was only a matter of time before Byzantine landships were rolling into that city, too.

With the last pockets of resistance in the north swept away, there was nothing stopping the Byzantines from spearheading a fresh offensive to the east. Towards Berlin. Towards the knock-out punch.

And with the fash's strength spent trying hold onto Magdeburg, Kiel, etc., there wasn't much left to get in our way.

Whatever defense the HRE could scramble to defend the German capital was smashed to bits in short order.

But as much as the civil war here feels like the only thing that matters, it's not like the whole world is holding its breath to see how it turns out. Everything everywhere else keeps on moving. It's fair to say that what we're doing here will leave some mark on history, but something somewhere could be happening that's going to be what future generations, with the benefit of hindsight, will think of when they think of the year 1938.

World's a big place, you know?

And every single bit of it's got infinite details once you look at it up close.

So while the fighting still rages in Germany as the HRE continues to fall apart, the fash are still consolidating their hold and getting their stories straight back home.

People in the RRP are reading scores from the World Cup right next to casualty numbers from the frontlines, and probably having stronger feelings about the former.

Or they talk about the 'knock-out blow' against the HRE and the knock-out blow against some French boxer in the same breath.

As NGF infantry and landships complete their encirclement of Leipzing...

...as the Meier government and the Bundestag pack up their things in Essen and prepare to take their proper place in Berlin...

...as General Valentina Ha becomes an international celebrity through her feats of cunning, innovative strategies, and derring-do...

...elsewhere, the very pillars of the world might be shaking.

And we'll have no idea about it until we read tomorrow's paper.

Food for thought, I guess.

Your sister,
Viktorie

WORLD MAP, 7/17/38:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Hell yes.

How are the combat logs to be read? I've never played HoI4 and they seem very important and part of the narrative but I kind of don't actually understand what they say.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I can't believe you left out the most important piece of news.

THE DAILY COMMUNEIQUE

July 2, 1938

Patriarch of Rome (not Roman Patriarch) denounces Pangalism, Monarchy, Romano-Gallianism

Celebrating his centennial birthday today, the long-serving Patriarch of Rome, Sylvester Mars, embarked on a long, rambling tirade during his weekly radio broadcast. Over the course of forty minutes, the patriarch denounced seemingly every state, ideology and government outside of the RRP, referring to pangalists as a "jumped up bunch of clerks who think a clean budget absolves all sins." Monarchists were addressed with his ten-minutes devoted to explaining how "there's one king, and he no longer walks this earth." A full twenty minutes of his speech were reserved for the so-called Imperium Gallium, which the patriarch stated: "Combined the worst language with the worst nation and had some crazy lady drop it on top of a bunch of poor frenchmen." Reactions to this have varied, with the Patriarch of Paris commenting: "Oh, what a load of s-"

(And so forth)

NewMars fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Oct 27, 2020

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
Philomon retired! Godspeed, you old coot.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Ha!

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

Tulip posted:

Hell yes.

How are the combat logs to be read? I've never played HoI4 and they seem very important and part of the narrative but I kind of don't actually understand what they say.

I played this update in April, so I might flub some details, but let's use this one as an example:

The attacker is always on the left, and the defender is always on the right. The icon indicating the result always appears on the player's side. So the top battle on that list was Valentina Ha's divisions making an attack on Sachsen, whereas the one two days ago was her leading a successful defense of it. A green arrow with a sword means a successful attack, a green arrow with a shield means a successful defense, and a broken arrow with a broken sword or shield represents a failed attack or defense, respectively. The manpower etc. numbers are causalities, I believe? Which were probably less lopsided overall than they look here since I believe this is only showing Byzantine losses, not NGF ones, even though most of these battles involved both NGF and Byzantine forces.

EDIT:

lmao

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"

:five:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

:stat::wal:

Empress Theonora posted:

I played this update in April, so I might flub some details, but let's use this one as an example:

The attacker is always on the left, and the defender is always on the right. The icon indicating the result always appears on the player's side. So the top battle on that list was Valentina Ha's divisions making an attack on Sachsen, whereas the one two days ago was her leading a successful defense of it. A green arrow with a sword means a successful attack, a green arrow with a shield means a successful defense, and a broken arrow with a broken sword or shield represents a failed attack or defense, respectively. The manpower etc. numbers are causalities, I believe? Which were probably less lopsided overall than they look here since I believe this is only showing Byzantine losses, not NGF ones, even though most of these battles involved both NGF and Byzantine forces.

EDIT:

lmao

OK thank you. The part about the icons being player linked was the main thing that was tripping me up, I was really confused as to what a shield meant if there were both successful and unsuccessful offensive markers.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebGwOkaKlzU

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
we back!!!

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Heck yeah!!!!!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

That was a Good Update

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

That was even better than expected. If over a million dead can be considered at all good.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Two Romes down, two to go.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's back!

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

not an emptyquote

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

idhrendur posted:

That was even better than expected. If over a million dead can be considered at all good.

Strong 2020 energy.

And of course :

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
God bless the men and women of the North German Federation, and our brave volunteers who came to their aid against the brutal "Romans."

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

habeasdorkus posted:

God bless the men and women of the North German Federation, and our brave volunteers who came to their aid against the brutal "Romans."

Its good to see that kicking the poo poo out of fasc makes all of Byzantium come together.

Also, winning this battle, what does it mean? Is the HRE pretty much finished now?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Oct 28, 2020

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Things going so well makes me worried. :ohdear:

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
The fash aren't real great at efficiency, so hopefully they aren't able to improve the Ruskies too much.

Can I possibly get a map with the different alliances highlighted?

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
RRP: Byzantium, Great Britain, Ireland, Hungary, Lithuania, Ghana, Kenya, Maputo, Nuevo Xi’an(?)
WRE: France, Poland, Bavaria, Austria, Holland, Iceland, Lai Ang, Portugal (yes they still exist)
WPO: China, Zhongnan, Asitelahan, Somalia, Tibet, Transoxiana
Allies: Japan, Haida, Aotearoa, Karatgurk, UPR, Silla, Tianhui Catalina
Unaligned: everywhere else

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
Smash the fash!