Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

SatansOnion posted:

gotta get my :actually: on for a second to submit that Heroes began to drop logs on the duvet in season two. subsequent seasons, I feel, can be characterized as stamping in the bed poo poo, wiping with the pillows and daring the viewer to change the channel

Oh you'll get no argument from me, Heroes season one was a very popular show that had a lot of viewers excited for what the next season would bring, only to get...whatever it was season two was supposed to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

SatansOnion posted:

gotta get my :actually: on for a second to submit that Heroes began to drop logs on the duvet in season two. subsequent seasons, I feel, can be characterized as stamping in the bed poo poo, wiping with the pillows and daring the viewer to change the channel

my :actually: to your :actually: is that Heroes was one of those shows worst hit by the Writers Guild Strike. That single act just sent the show off the rails and it never got back on. Its also why season one of Breaking Bad feels so weird (and shortened) compared to every other season, and well season 2 of Friday Night Lights which we all pretend never happened.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I still love Raymond

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
looking at a list of shows affected and jesus it was a lot, and some just got cancelled because of the strike.

Journeyman never got a second chance :(

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Also backtracking but Louis CK's Louie at its time was one of the most influential, best and important comedy shows made that influenced a lot that came after it. You can't mention it, or people even remember it, because of Louis CK's sex pest activities undercutting and self-evidating the hypocrisy of the social consciousness Louie imbued into sitcoms.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

The show Louie is the biggest casualty of the big cancellations of people. Loved that show a whole lot, then suddenly i couldn't think about it anymore without feeling lovely

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

I remember the feeling of my intelligence being insulted once I realized that every single lady character on Heroes fell into one of four categories, without exception: the passive-powered, the emotionally-powered (“oh no I’m feeling stuff and now my powers are out of control aaaaaa”), the evil women with agency (without fuckin fail, seemingly, if they could control their power consciously, they’d use it for evil), and the ones who bit it more or less as soon as they’re introduced

made me a bit pickier about the quality of the teevee I consume, at least

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Lid posted:

Also backtracking but Louis CK's Louie at its time was one of the most influential, best and important comedy shows made that influenced a lot that came after it. You can't mention it, or people even remember it, because of Louis CK's sex pest activities undercutting and self-evidating the hypocrisy of the social consciousness Louie imbued into sitcoms.

Yeah Louie led to so many similarly creator focused shows in that time period. It had a huge influence but it's so hard to go back to because Louis CK always showed his creepy behavior on his sleeve we just thought it was an exaggerated joke because he sold it really well.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

The show Louie is the biggest casualty of the big cancellations of people. Loved that show a whole lot, then suddenly i couldn't think about it anymore without feeling lovely

Too many things on that show took a weird feel when it turned out Louie wasn't just playing a creep. Which does suck, the show was good.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

NienNunb posted:

Let me tell you about how in the 2000s Kevin Spacey was my favourite actor and I used to watch LA Confidential once a year every year, and defended American Beauty against those saying it wasnt a good movie amongst many many other Spacey adjacent things.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Hope nothing comes out about Zach Galifanakis because Baskets is real good

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

Lid posted:

Let me tell you about how in the 2000s Kevin Spacey was my favourite actor and I used to watch LA Confidential once a year every year, and defended American Beauty against those saying it wasnt a good movie amongst many many other Spacey adjacent things.

The Ref was one of my families big holiday movies.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
I watched K-Pax more than once.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

gently caress.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Also I keep meaning to get back to watching MOON which seems to have gone from obscure to cult classic and back to obscure even by cult classic standings but then again here comes Kevin Spacey.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lid posted:

Also I keep meaning to get back to watching MOON which seems to have gone from obscure to cult classic and back to obscure even by cult classic standings but then again here comes Kevin Spacey.

wait what how is spacey in it?? did he produce it or something

moon is like my fave film

edit : oh gently caress he's gerty isn't he

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Got you beat

I liked Woody Allen as a tween

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I hate me too

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Speaking of sex pestilence derailing a good show, Master of None was good too imo

Bluedeanie fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 2, 2020

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

NienNunb posted:

Got you beat

I liked Woody Allen as a tween

I'm sorry I'm sorry I'm sorry I hate me too

*looks at my DVD of Match Point*

yeah somehow i can seperate this so long as i dont physically have to see him on screen albeit i think Match Point is the end as i didnt see the stuff he made after it and thus have no connection to it and its brilliance

see also: The Pianist is one of the greatest films ever made, Adrien Brody deservedly won the oscar for best actor in it over Daniel Day Lewis and the only argument against is you have never seen The Pianist, it should've won Best Picture that year, and thats having to do the mental gymnastics of that Roman Polanski is a monster. Hell time is a factor here because i have to consciously remind myself Polanski made Chinatown too and I still watch Chinatown when i catch it on.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

I was raised on Woody Allen movies. Like my mom special ordered Woody Allen movies from the local video store when those existed I saw them all.

I haven't watched any for years but my top five in no particular order.

1. Love And Death
2. Take the Money and Run
3. Annie Hall
4. Sleeper
5. Hannah and her Sisters

Maybe Midnight in Paris I haven't seen that one in a long time and it might not hold up minus childhood nostalgia.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Yeah it's a shame Polanski is a monster dude would have been seen as the greatest of his generation. Probably still is by sick french freaks.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

NienNunb posted:

Was thinking about this concept last night when describing Twisted Metal to my fiancé/m: what are some games (or movies or shows or whatever) that were huge at their time but have almost zero cultural footprint right now. I was also thinking of Medal of Honor. Like both of those franchises felt decently big when I was an adolescent but are more or less extinct at this point.

Age of Empires, or really, the entire RTS genre. They’ve all been subsumed by MOBAs and even when I bring up playing Warcraft 3 as a kid people will regularly act shocked that there were games prior to WoW.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Would love a good WW2 shooter again, that would own. Europe tho, not the pacific.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Also on the shameful canceled artists that we used to love train there was a point in time as a teenager that Burzum was a top 5 band for me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Would love a good WW2 shooter again, that would own. Europe tho, not the pacific.

they tried with COD WW2 and Battlefield 5 and somehow both hosed it up

i want a Sniper Elite style WW2 game where you play as a member of the Yugoslav Partisans

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Now is the time for a civil war shooter

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Just thought of another game. Crysis

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
was going to say the entire Adventure genre but they've had some modern revivals, probably the best of which was Life is Strange

... i still like LA Noire too.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

was going to say the entire Adventure genre but they've had some modern revivals, probably the best of which was Life is Strange

... i still like LA Noire too.

have you ever seen gameplay of Mystery of the Druids

its less a video game and more a thesis statement on why the Adventure game genre had to die

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

NienNunb posted:

Now is the time for a civil war shooter

a shooter where you mow down zombie Confederates with a staggering variety of weapons, with boss fights in which you destroy Lee and Jackson and Jefferson Davis and some other likely suspects

I’ve idly daydreamt along roughly the same lines for a little while now, but I know gently caress all about game development

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Alaois posted:

have you ever seen gameplay of Mystery of the Druids

its less a video game and more a thesis statement on why the Adventure game genre had to die

i had not, but doing some digging i realised David Cage games are considered Adventure games. Maybe we should just kill it.

wait this list doesnt even include LA Noire? the hell?

oh but it does include 999 and Danganronpa good point

.... and Catherine? Catherine isnt an adventure game though i adore it with every fibre of my being

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

NienNunb posted:

Just thought of another game. Crysis
The remastered edition is out this month I think?

Apparently it's pretty low end but Crysis already looked great so remastering it is... Odd.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

i had not, but doing some digging i realised David Cage games are considered Adventure games. Maybe we should just kill it.

wait this list doesnt even include LA Noire? the hell?

oh but it does include 999 and Danganronpa good point

to give you an idea, here is a breakdown of the first real "puzzle" of the game

you, playing as a murder detective of New Scotland Yard, need to call a professor who works at a museum. In order to do this, you need to get the box of apple juice in your desk drawer, then you need to go into the lab and wipe down all the bottles of various chemicals on the shelf, then you need to ask the lab technician if he just sits around getting drunk all day considering he's surrounded by alcohol, which causes him to demonstrate to you how he does not sit around drinking all day by pouring you a glass of ethyl alcohol which you drink and pass out, then you need to go over to the bottles to see which one he picked up by dusting it for fingerprints and take it, then you go outside the museum where there is a homeless man who's flask you need to take, fill with the apple juice and ethyl alcohol to give to him under the pretense that its apple schnapps so the homeless man will drink it and pass out, so you can then steal his change to use at a pay phone outside the museum to call the professor inside the museum.

there's a phone in your office at the police station, btw

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
to be fair i've been playing the new Hitman's recently which are like adventure games combined with

"lets make The Incredible Machine, but with murder"

so that level of complexity to make a phone call fits in fine with me

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

The Louie Show was by far the superior Louie show.

Edit: Wait I'm thinking of Life with Louie, right Louie wrong show, oh well.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Brut posted:

The Louie Show was by far the superior Louie show.

Edit: Wait I'm thinking of Life with Louie, right Louie wrong show, oh well.

The Louie Show reminded me of "best shows ever to only get one season and never again" i've already mentioned Journeyman

2 that instantly come to mind:

Day Break (NOT the netflix one)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Break

... ok make that 1 because the other one i THOUGHT was only one season was Andy Richter Controls the Universe but looking at wikipedia to get the url to link it here that apparently had a second season? I had no loving idea

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lid posted:

The Louie Show reminded me of "best shows ever to only get one season and never again" i've already mentioned Journeyman

2 that instantly come to mind:

Day Break (NOT the netflix one)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Day_Break

... ok make that 1 because the other one i THOUGHT was only one season was Andy Richter Controls the Universe but looking at wikipedia to get the url to link it here that apparently had a second season? I had no loving idea

Terriers, always and forever

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Rip Turok Dinosaur Hunter
Rip Red Faction

Turok is especially funny as he started out as a comic book character back in the 50's, so he's been around for a long time

Lid posted:

to be fair i've been playing the new Hitman's recently which are like adventure games combined with

"lets make The Incredible Machine, but with murder"

so that level of complexity to make a phone call fits in fine with me

Which is also a good description of the Sniper Elite games

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Louie would be like a top 3 show for me but welp gently caress Louis CL forever, gross shithead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

It's hosed up that episode of Louie where he jacks off in front of the girl in his car and then it ended up being something he actually did.