Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

NienNunb posted:

I’m sorry.

no it's okay, thinking about having to follow through on another season of Mets fandom makes me want to lash out too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

baseball is so boring

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shard posted:

baseball is so boring
:wrong:

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

we got ourselves a real negative nancy today.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

talk about good stuff and I'll praise it all day!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shard posted:

baseball is so boring

We gotta do something about this guy. Done with this poo poo.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009
I wish they didn't do the pitch clock. Baseball is best when you can really feel every minute. There's something audacious about letting those minutes and hours melt away from our already short existences.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
I think the pitch clock is a net positive for the game but I agree that baseball's greatest strength is its leisurely, pastoral nature

it's the perfect sport to have on in the background while doing something else, and as far as live games go it's wonderful spending a sunny afternoon lazing in the outfield seats of your closest minor league venue

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Localthunk on reddit posted:

Hey people! Thought I’d maybe start sharing some periodic updates in the sub.

I’ve been working on a few different things, but I wanted to share that a 1.0.1 patch is almost ready for testing and will probably be available on PC in a week or two (barring changes). Console updates would follow as fast as they can get approved.

This is a pretty meaty balance update. Some Jokers have totally new effects, some stakes have been entirely reworked, blue seals are much better, and I’ve made some changes that will make early antes slightly more engaging/forgiving without removing the RNG that I love in this game. My list of 1.0.1 changes has probably 50 items at this point. My hope is that difficulty remains the same level but overall player experience is improved across the board.

I don’t want to get into too many specifics but I’m swapping 2 of the Stake effects with 2 new Jokers stickers akin to the ‘eternal’ idea, since I adore that design so much. I really think you’ll all love it!

This will be the first update of its kind since launch, but those of you that have played the demos will know these kinds of updates are a regular and really fundamental part of my design process. Iteration/change is how Balatro becomes a better game for everyone. I don’t think it’s perfect in current state and I want it to be fun for me and all of you. I’m sure some will be frustrated that they had to play and grind the game when it was in a worse state but it was and continues to be representative of what I’m capable of as a solo dev. I don’t think that should preclude me from improving the game for the future even if it takes time! I may be slow but watch me go 🐢

Just for fun here is a specific leak - 8 ball will have a totally new effect: 1 in 4 chance for a played 8 to create a Tarot card when scored

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

apophenium posted:

I wish they didn't do the pitch clock. Baseball is best when you can really feel every minute. There's something audacious about letting those minutes and hours melt away from our already short existences.

This mfer really said I wish baseball was longer?!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Shard posted:

Yes

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Shard posted:

he’s right

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I don't get it but I'm glad y'all are having a good time

The Stroker Ace
Feb 7, 2007

I’m at an after-work charity thing being bipolar. It’s not fun, I just want to get out of here.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

The Stroker Ace posted:

I’m at an after-work charity thing being bipolar. It’s not fun, I just want to get out of here.

I missed all of Dynamite last night because of a bipolar episode, and I'm currently locked away in my office because if my wife and i talk, we're just yelling at each other, again, because of what I said and did in that bipolar episode.

This isn't any fun, either.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Baseball is always great to watch... as a movie. Love baseball movies. Bored to tears by trying to watch an actual game, but it is the same deal with American football and basketball so I assume it is something to do with how television and advertising affect the structure of the games.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Jerusalem posted:

Baseball is always great to watch... as a movie. Love baseball movies. Bored to tears by trying to watch an actual game, but it is the same deal with American football and basketball so I assume it is something to do with how television and advertising affect the structure of the games.

Have you ever gone and seen a game in person? Totally different experience. I love baseball, but watching it on TV was barely tolerable for me until the pitch clock, which helped a bit.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

esperantinc posted:

Have you ever gone and seen a game in person? Totally different experience. I love baseball, but watching it on TV was barely tolerable for me until the pitch clock, which helped a bit.

Not American so never had the chance. Games of anything are almost always more fun if you go in person though so I don't doubt you're right!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

If a pre-pitch clock game was more or less twice the length of what it already was I would have been perfectly happy. Baseball is about hanging out on the couch, drinking an ice cold lager, eating a hot dog, listening to Keith, Gary, and Ron goofin off

https://youtu.be/HG47eYhlOpc?si=EaTuL25F4a3tbj0P

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

baseball died to me the day I lost the Expos

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

The majority of players in the highest possible level of a professional sport are visibly bored during the majority of the game in which they are actively participating, and you expect me to WATCH this sport? For 17 hours???

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Bluedeanie posted:

The majority of players in the highest possible level of a professional sport are visibly bored during the majority of the game in which they are actively participating, and you expect me to WATCH this sport? For 17 hours???

that's cricket, yes

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

i think its fine that the braves will win another ring in like half the time

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

personal rules for watching baseball

1. start watching baseball in the bottom of the 7th inning
2. select to watch a game where one of the teams playing would become 1 more win away from winning the series if they win this game, or better
3. if any of your baseball watching partners are a "god hates me" personality guy, do something else. play a little computer game called Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman's Mine

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

baseball is great summer vibes. throw a game on the radio, grill some dogs, get bombed in your lawnchair on margaritas. good times.

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

Joey McChrist posted:

throw a game on the radio

is there any other way, really

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

take me out to the ball game! take me out to the crowd! buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks - i dont care if we ever go b ack cause its rtoot root root ro for the whome team, can they win its a shame. cause its one. TWO! tree srerikes your your at the old ball gameeeee

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

https://www.medievalcollectibles.com/product/king-arthur-sword/

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

I’ve been to lots of MLB games in my life and I feel like the last thing I paid attention to at all of them was the game itself.

Though to be fair, they were all Mariner games.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Tweak posted:

Though to be fair, they were all Mariner games.

that reminds me i need to watch the jon bois utub series on the mariners

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

That DICK! posted:

take me out to the ball game! take me out to the crowd! buy me some peanuts and cracker jacks - i dont care if we ever go b ack cause its rtoot root root ro for the whome team, can they win its a shame. cause its one. TWO! tree srerikes your your at the old ball gameeeee

they made a song about this

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Barry Bluejeans posted:

that's cricket, yes

And what is cricket, if not the baseball of the commonwealth?

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

In Pittsburgh we go to PNC park for the views because the home team sucks.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

On The Internet posted:

In Pittsburgh we go to PNC park for the views because the home team sucks.

pnc park owns

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

graph posted:

that reminds me i need to watch the jon bois utub series on the mariners

it’s very good, unlike the Mariners

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I won’t try to shill this too much but I had a great time doing this and I’m gonna try for next week around the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/live/N2CTRa3mExM?si=bBhlwzFLl7mGwumL

A couple people actually dropped in when the beat got real sick. Business picks up about the 30 min mark after I get all the audio issues sorted

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I'm not the biggest fan of baseball but I know that playoff baseball is the best baseball.
Not because the best teams are playing, but it feels like everything matters.
Baseball feels really listless during the regular seasons because 162 games of a game with no game clock. Even the commentary sounds bored.
But during the playoffs, every game matters, every pitcher/batter confrontation feels tense. Everything feels like a matter of inches.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Anyone ever read “the lord of the rings”? Pretty good book!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

The only Lord of the Ring I care about is Diamond Dallas Page