Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

yea ok posted:

that's the last one of his i need to watch. i never read the books either so it's been hard to care about not seeing it. one day though :) i'm glad you're enjoying it

I love it as it's own thing but make drat sure you watch Jodorowsky's Dune after.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0cJNR8HEw0

(Then go watch The Holy Mountain lol)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

lol im all about the jo-dog (I officially disavow the jo-dog), i might love santa sangre most though

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

movie report of the day
the virgin spring - blu ray - seen this 1 before. ah, to have my faith tested by unspeakable acts. would i succumb to temptation, the temptation of revenge, of violence? would my God guide me to the correct path? perhaps.
ant man - my computer - some good laughs in this one. typical marvel thingy. too long even at 1h45m, lifeless boring action, funneh quips. paul rudd is good, which makes sense.
blade - hbo max - only seen blade 2 before. now i seen this one too. funny to see stephen dorff be so crazy in this and cecil b demented, when my first exposure to him was in sofia coppola's "Somewhre", where he plays me.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

blade is really good, they should make more blades

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Blade is a sequel to Blade Runner

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Sling Blade is the reboot

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Dangerous Person posted:

Hope everybody out there working feels safe at their job because I sure as gently caress don't

I am lucky enough to work from home, but my gf is a high school teacher in a rural community in a red state, so I have been coming to terms with the fact that I may be hospitalized, develop long term organ damage or die as a result of my loved one having to work. Doesnt feel good.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Dangerous Person posted:

Sling Blade is the reboot

I love Slingblade

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Dune is a terrible book imo. I read it a few months ago. There’s some neat things in the world-building but everyone and everything in it feels very flat. Herbert writes 3rd-person omniscient but everyone has the same inner-monologue style so it just...doesn’t work. Idk. I do see why it has resonated for such a long time.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

A little known fact is that ”Blade” is actually a nickname given to the character by his friends because he really likes the band Slade. They got tired of saying ”this is Eric, he likes the band Slade” all the time when introducing him to people and it eventually turned into ”Blade”. It’s only a coincidence that he eventually decided to use a blade in his line of work

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Eat My Fuc posted:

I love Slingblade

Me too. Billy Bob doesn't feel like any of his other roles and Daniel Lanois made some excellent music for it

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

extradite THIS! posted:

A little known fact is that ”Blade” is actually a nickname given to the character by his friends because he really likes the band Slade. They got tired of saying ”this is Eric, he likes the band Slade” all the time when introducing him to people and it eventually turned into ”Blade”. It’s only a coincidence that he eventually decided to use a blade in his line of work

That's pretty lucky though that it worked out that way

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Magic posted:

Dune is a terrible book imo. I read it a few months ago. There’s some neat things in the world-building but everyone and everything in it feels very flat. Herbert writes 3rd-person omniscient but everyone has the same inner-monologue style so it just...doesn’t work. Idk. I do see why it has resonated for such a long time.
Cuz the world building is absolutely amazing, hands down, cool as gently caress. It actually feels like you're reading something from a writer developing a different culture on a different world with real impulses and humanity as opposed to most sci-fi essentially feeling like a team of teenagers with attitude. Dune is entirely about world view and world building though, getting you in that place. Either your head goes there or it sucks.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

yeah herbert was very good at world building, but his sense of character was flat. but that was fine, because he structured his story well such that you had a main character that was simultaneously an everyman that had to learn everything so the reader could also learn it, while always feeling like he belonged there and not like he was being particularly exposited to. the lynch movie is fun, if you go into it with the idea that its more inspired by the books than really adapting them. hell, the end of the movie would literally destroy all of civilization if you were adhering strictly to the things we know from the book. but, its a happy ending, because the palette turns blue and rain comes. cleansing rain. visual metaphor. good for movies, bad for stories. luckily they are not the same thing.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

i will watch it soon

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

The sequel books are hit and miss. I can't recommend anything past book 4 (God-Emperor of Dune).

And we just won't mention any of the books Herbert's son cooked up with Kevin J Anderson.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Spiderdrake posted:

Cuz the world building is absolutely amazing, hands down, cool as gently caress. It actually feels like you're reading something from a writer developing a different culture on a different world with real impulses and humanity as opposed to most sci-fi essentially feeling like a team of teenagers with attitude. Dune is entirely about world view and world building though, getting you in that place. Either your head goes there or it sucks.

Idk what most of sci-fi you’re reading but it seems like a very different set of books than what I read, where there is good world building, plot, and characters and you don’t have to negotiate one for the other

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you're both required to list every book you're summing up before continuing

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I never got into sci fi books. I like me some espionage

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Magic posted:

Idk what most of sci-fi you’re reading but it seems like a very different set of books than what I read, where there is good world building, plot, and characters and you don’t have to negotiate one for the other
Dunno, make some recommendations?

And don't loving say the Expanse.

Kvantum posted:

The sequel books are hit and miss. I can't recommend anything past book 4 (God-Emperor of Dune).

And we just won't mention any of the books Herbert's son cooked up with Kevin J Anderson.
You read to 6 just to see how completely horseshit insane it goes.

But the appeal might be unique to writers since if you finish a couple novels you look over your list of ideas and the horseshit insane stuff starts looking super appealing by the third or fourth book. And Herbert went loving beyond.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i have owned skyrim across three different consoles. i have never beaten it.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

yea ok posted:

movie report of the day
the virgin spring - blu ray - seen this 1 before. ah, to have my faith tested by unspeakable acts. would i succumb to temptation, the temptation of revenge, of violence? would my God guide me to the correct path? perhaps.
ant man - my computer - some good laughs in this one. typical marvel thingy. too long even at 1h45m, lifeless boring action, funneh quips. paul rudd is good, which makes sense.
blade - hbo max - only seen blade 2 before. now i seen this one too. funny to see stephen dorff be so crazy in this and cecil b demented, when my first exposure to him was in sofia coppola's "Somewhre", where he plays me.

I liked blade 2 a lot more. I found the villain to be really good at acting. Found him to be equal parts terrifying and sympathetic

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it's funny in blade 3 where one of the vampire hunters has a lovely little mp3 player all of the time and relies on it to stay focused by not being able to hear anything while out hunting vampires. if it was me directing that movie I would have said "cut" while pointing at the mp3 player, which is how they decide what to keep in the film

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

GOOD SCI-FI NOT ABOUT MOODY TEENAGERS:

Octavia Butler - literally any of her stuff
Martha Wells’ Murderbot Diaries
Gene Wolfe’s Book of the New Sun ( j/k Severian is the moodiest teenager (but this is still the best thing) )
Ann Leckie’s Ancillary Justice
Philip K Dick - any of it, my favorite is Martian Time-Slip

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Cavauro posted:

you're both required to list every book you're summing up before continuing
you made me look up that it was consider phlebas that I finished when being told not to read it and now I'm mad at you for making me remember that book!!!!

not actually mad at you but drat I hate that book

Captain Magic posted:

GOOD SCI-FI NOT ABOUT MOODY TEENAGERS:
Lol dude I mean the characters act and behave at a level of juvenile personality conflict, not that they're literally teenagers.

I'll give this Octavia Butler cat a try then sure. I'm on track to finish the sci-fi novel I'm writing for october so maybe then and we'll battle with words LATER

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I like Dune, both book and movie

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

how you dune

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

My favorite Butler books are the two Parable ones, but they’re part of an unfinished trilogy (because she’s dead); they are still good as stand-alones.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Magic posted:

My favorite Butler books are the two Parable ones, but they’re part of an unfinished trilogy (because she’s dead); they are still good as stand-alones.
A lot of great books are unfinished because they're dead

Like Amber, or in fact Dune!!! (There was a 7 planned his son butchered and mutilated)

and soon maybe song of fire and ice, though somehow he's still alive fat as gently caress and not putting out books since I stopped reading it over ten years ago

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

Watching Come and See for the first time.

This is really over my head

Eat My Fuc fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Aug 12, 2020

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Octavia Butler owns

Also I will stan Phillip K Dick his books own

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Mood:

https://twitter.com/NoContextTrek/status/1292838161039728642?s=19

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Eat My Fuc posted:

Watching Come and See for the first time.

This is really over my head

The ending is one of the few times a movie has hosed me up for a long time afterwards.

Spent the last two and a half weeks dealing with a relapsed friend. I’ve tried being nice and understanding but I’m so loving tired and it’s taking all my willpower to not just physically grab them, force them into my car, and take them to a rehab/detox place. I don’t loving need this right now.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

I mean, this could be nearly ANY episode.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

CobiWann posted:

I mean, this could be nearly ANY episode.

Except for season 1.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWnriI0Fsv4

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 40 days!
Don't have the link handy, but I recently watched a video that discussed how Come and See avoids the "glorifying war" pitfall that a lot of other anti-war movies tend to fall into by 1)not filming large pitched battles but instead focusing on smaller-scale skirmishes (and, of course, the horrible war atrocities that took place on the Eastern Front), and 2) filming it like it was a horror movie rather than a war movie; with disconcerting close-ups, characters staring directly into the camera (and basically at the viewer), and eerie/unsettling sound design that gives The Shining a run for its money.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm sorry john cena. i just understood the answer to my question from before the mafia game started. the thing i asked about was to say no lurkers are allowed to involve themselves in the thread but iu thought it meant people can't look at it. I wont post again. been going through a lot lately

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Cavauro posted:

i'm sorry john cena. i just understood the answer to my question from before the mafia game started. the thing i asked about was to say no lurkers are allowed to involve themselves in the thread but iu thought it meant people can't look at it. I wont post again

yea lurkers can read and talk about threads in a peanut gallery area (either in here or in the games discord) but its usually frowned upon to impact the ecosystem of players in active mafia games since every post gets looked at under a narrow lens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

i still don't understand what mafia is and will most likely never learn