Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Spikegal posted:

For my fellow non-faith goons - what was it that pushed you to dropping your religion, if you ever in fact followed one?

And for my goons of faith - what is it that helps you keep that faith

For me it was a long process - not much unlike how I finally admitted I was bi. It started with me believing less and less with the things in the bible I didn't like - for example a good person would go to hell forever if they didn't believe in Jesus. I remember asking my teacher when I was a kid did that mean Ghandi was in hell and being really bummed out about it. More and more kept falling away until I stopped calling myself a Catholic and called myself a Christian.

Then one day on my way to class in college a random thought popped in my head - if you don't believe all of the bible - why should you believe in the bible at all? Because it says it's the truth. But what if that's also not true. AND THEN BAM. Stopped dead in my tracks. The most clear epiphany in my life. If I don't believe it's true then I'm not a Christian. I skipped class that day and sorted out all my thoughts.

After that it was a progression from Christianity to Deism to Atheism/Humanism.

I got scared watching an infomercial about the rapture when I was like 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Spikegal posted:

This is super interesting. What is old Atheism vs new Atheism and what is animist?

New Atheism is like if you made atheism fascist

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

Is ac grayling the other one because he isn’t so bad

Dan Dennett

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bring back Beast Wars

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I haven't seen any of Discovery but people were complaining about Picard being too dark and it made me wonder if everyone just forgot about DS9.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

There's nothing funny about any of this. That baseball game was important.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

I read Masters of Doom and John Carmack did a fascism that nearly tanked the company!

Then he went on to build rockets.

I have that book on my list but haven't gotten around to it, can you explain what Mr. Carmack did?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress Gabe. Dude decides to release the new Half-Life three days after Animal Crossing. I'm not made of time, guy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

It's a movie where Ben Schwartz voices Sonic the Hedgehog. It's impossible to be bad.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

started watching Deep Space 9. Just great classic poo poo and a reminder that not every sci fi show needs to be crazy milspec action stuff.

Like if its well presented, I could watch a sitcom of bored gods pretending to be in a sitcom that occasionally do Big poo poo. Like Cheers with fistfights.

A couple years ago they made the best t-shirt ever made as a Kickstarter reward for a documentary about the show, unfortunately I heard about it way too late:

wicka fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Feb 18, 2020

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

I'm getting a 403 forbidden message on that pic if I try to go to the address for it, since it only shows up for me as a question mark icon in your post.

Fixed, thanks. That's what I get for hotlinking!!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

Hey what VPN is everybody using? Somebody brought up good options a while back.

Mullvad, but FYI it doesn't have a native mobile app so you have to download their VPN profiles for OpenVPN or Wireguard. $5/mo though and super fast, also they tick all my boxes from a privacy perspective.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1917 was terrible. The movie not the year. Well the year too probably but I don't know for sure.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Did you guys know Gallagher is insanely racist/homophobic/etc? Looks like I was out of the loop on this one!

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WHY DIDNT YOU TELL ME

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My buddy was very excited to see Gallagher yesterday and it was a pretty huge bummer to watch the excitement drain off his face over the course of the show. We left before it was over, he just wanted to stay long enough to see him smash a thing or two. Gallagher actually structures his set in a way that feels out what his audience thinks is appropriate so he knows where to draw the line, at one point explicitly saying "I'm going to do 10 quick jokes in a row to determine what kind of crowd you are." And since this was a lovely bar in the Western PA suburbs, he never had to draw that line. The first 30 minutes were honestly fine, he started out pretty funny with a ton of energy and initially didn't say anything worse than like terrible jokes my dad would make, but after the 10 joke thing he said poo poo that frankly I don't even feel comfortable typing. At one point he grabbed a box of Rice Krispies and started shouting, "Spot the heterosexual! Spot the heterosexual! YOU CAN'T, they're all gay!" I can't imagine how filled with hate you must be to go in on Snap, Crackle, and Pop, of all people.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah they must have edited out most of the overt racism from his old tv specials unless it was filed under "it was a different time, then" and my mind just blocked that garbage out from remembering it

He was never a hero of mine but I guess never meet your heroes or whatever is applicable to any celebrity

I don't remember a single thing from his old specials other than him smashing stuff, to be honest, and was kinda surprised there was so much standup beforehand. Obviously I haven't followed his career at all recently but the impression I've gotten from reading about him today is that he just did some borderline material earlier in his career, and when people started suggesting that it wasn't appropriate he responded by becoming progressively more terrible. Could be wrong though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

The way he talks about himself in the one or two recent years interviews I've stumbled across im not surprised, he's pretty far up his own rear end

Early in the set he referenced having material that "they wouldn't like in Boston" and in hindsight that should've been a gigantic red flag

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

My favorite John Ford thing is how much he loving hated having to cast John Wayne in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

https://letterboxd.com/darrencb/list/the-world-is-hell-hopeless-cinema/ I'm only 15% through the list after all my hard work :smith: gotta watch a lot more

I wish The Lodge was playing anywhere near me

Have you seen Aniara yet?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I wish we had more relentlessly pessimistic sci-fi like in the 70s but I'm not gonna complain too much

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

I said it in the old thread and bears saying again:

Stephen King is a hack

Sutter Cane is cool though

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Apollo 13

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

Blue Velvet. It's the only perfect movie.

I haven't seen that movie in like 15 years and I still occasionally shout "HEINEKEN? gently caress THAT poo poo" whenever I see Heineken, which is fortunately rare, or else I would be unbearable. More unbearable.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

France wins again

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Mr. Carlisle posted:

On in that case either Road House or Demolition Man

Hello friend

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I just finished Kentucky Route Zero and I honestly don't understand the praise at all. Act I was very good but IV and V feel like high school creative writing projects. It's silly for the sake of being silly and completely loses touch with any kind of story.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

New Order was good but The New Colossus is pretty clearly designed to suggest you should sneakily kill the captains or whatever and prevent them from triggering alarms, yet most of the levels are so wide open that it's impossible to play with any kind of stealth. I just turned the difficulty down to its lowest setting and blasted through everyone.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1. Joel
2. Ethan

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

ChrisBTY posted:

Goddamn it why am I so easily overwhelmed? gently caress.
Lemme just take out on a ride in my brainspace over the past hour or two.

~ Hmmmm want to buy Revolution. On BR live. But 50$ is bullshit.
~ Get a VPN. Then Revolution is cheap on Fite.
~ But that's MORE money. How do I even VPN.
~ Like this (opens webpage)
~ Oh that's easy...but ah gods that's even more money upfront.
~ But it will pay for itself over the course of 4 PPVs.
~ What if I wind up watching all the PPV at my friend's store after this. Then it's a waste.
~ Oh God what time is Revolution I keep getting conflicting reports.
~ Oh God why the gently caress am I struggling with this so much.
~ What if I buy the VPN then my friend is all 'plans were cancelled, PPV at the store'
~ But if I buy the VPN then the smart thing to do would be to drag my PC to the store so we can watch it like that.
~ But my tower weighs 100 pounds and is super awkward to move and then we have to gently caress around with internet settings and...and...
~ It weighs 10 pounds. You just have a brain thing where your tower is the heaviest thing on earth because you're so scared of moving it.

It just kinda goes on like this now I'm scared of everything.

$5.50 per month, you can just buy a single month: https://mullvad.net

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

He Poos Clouds should be Cody's music IMO

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

I most anxious I ever was in school was when I actually did my work ahead of time and then had multiple days to wonder which parts of it I hosed up or forgot to do.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

jesus WEP posted:

how many gig economy workers do you think can afford to self quarantine for 14 days? ubers and delivery drivers are gonna be a huge loving vector for the spread of covid in the uk and the us. But at least a lot of boomers will die.

Is the recommendation really 14 days?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

one time I jerked off in an abandoned house's attic.

What else is a man supposed to do when he sees a sexy ghost

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

WatermelonGun posted:

rowdy ringsports is depressing as gently caress

Do you want to talk about happy things

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I thought talking about turning my existential dread into 12 planted trees was a happy resolution to that issue, personally. :)

It convinced me not to cut down a tree in my backyard fwiw

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

big fan of pho even tho I always pronounce it wrong

A classic pho pas

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Spiderdrake posted:

Tacocat backwards is tacocaT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gtz14SV8Nvw

wicka