Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I can't stop watching the new David Lynch short film on Netflix. It's so goddamn great.

E: this also RIPS

Chris James 2 posted:

I watched Color Out Of Space yesterday, that was loving great and idc what others think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

yea ok posted:

what time periods do you just not give a poo poo about in movies? well i'm glad you asked. it's the civil war and also revolutionary era with redcoats and wigs for me (havent seen barry lyndon yet though)

Victorian and pioneer times. If they wearin bonnets I ain't up on it

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Has anyone played a game called DayZ? I got a review copy and holy moly this is the worst game I have ever played.

Imagine Fallout but you go minimum 20 minutes every time you start before you find ANYTHING. Items, enemies, other players, anything. You just roam aimlessly for huge swaths of time, doing nothing at all.

I'm just baffled by it, it literally does nothing right. The inventory system was designed by a psychopath. The button you use to interact with things is also the button you hold to drop what you're carrying, so you randomly do your weapons all the time.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Seams posted:

Is that it's own separate game now? I think it started as a modern for ArmA which might explain the jankiness.

That seems to be the case. It's a standalone thing for PS4 (and, presumably, Xbox).

It's just bafflingly terrible. It takes me 15 minutes to find anything to do, and the servers reset every 20 minutes haha

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I naively hoped they patched it out somehow after reading those bad reviews but nope it is exactly as bad as they say, on every possible level.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Don't make me pick between Raging Bull and Taxi Driver.

On the reals though I think maybe Taxi Driver edges it out.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I can't give full marks to The Irishman because it seems like Scorsese is entirely unwilling to actually direct Pacino. I have no idea what that accent he's doing in the film is supposed to be, but Hoffa it ain't.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Seams posted:

Pacino ruled as Hoffa. He needed to be over the top imo because De Niro and Pesci's performances were so understated.

It's also probably the closest thing we'll get to a film adaptation of American Tabloid.

He was a cartoon, which is fine if you're doing a Nic Cage movie or whatever but for a three hour biopic directed by Scorsese it didn't fit.

Pacino did this in the Kevorkian flick too - just put on some random accent that was nothing like the guy he was supposed to be portraying.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

AEW has broken my brain. I was watching that Judy Garland movie yesterday and caught myself muttering "Judy, Judy in my mind" under my breath

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

My favourite Lovecraft film is Goodfellas

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Captain Magic posted:

Lovecraft is a weird old racist and I don’t understand why so many people try to separate his ideology from his “cool” ideas; the ideas are not that cool and there are better things worth your time

Like even if he wasn’t a lovely racist dead guy then giant tentacle faced monsters who want to gently caress earth aren’t exactly the end-all be-all of Western creativity

I'm fine with it as long as contemporary filmmakers actively erase it, like Richard Stanley making a main character in Color Out of Space (and probably a primary character of future adaptations) a person of colour.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Oh it's back on at last? And finished!?! Now I can catch up!

Oh man you have a journey ahead of you if you haven't been watching this season as it airs.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Everyone pony up five bucks for Shudder and watch Tammy And The T-Rex. It has an amazing fight scene in the first few minutes that ends with both participants (one of whom is the late Paul Walker) grabbing each other's dicks. And the movie gets weird from there.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

TTBF posted:

I'm guessing this is the original, uncensored R rated cut that got buried until recently?

You'd guess right!

I know I saw the original in the 90's but don't remember it super well, but this cut is loving batshit. Apparently the producers got this animatronic dino and then decided to write a movie around it, and it shows.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

Parasite winning Director, Picture, and International Picture :swoon:

Oscars legit feeling like the end of Wrestlemania 30.

(Looking forward to the next six years of the safest, most boring choices on offer)

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Mekchu posted:

Koreans are super nationalistic so you can reassure him that the nationalism still lives on.

Bong was on a blacklist from the Korean government up until a couple years ago because he was too much of a leftist.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

coconono posted:

Bong did Snowpiercer, which is extremely subversive. I doubt the tv adaptation will hold up.

I think it could be okay. I am a bit worried about the Parasite adaptation though.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fangs out Yang's out. Who does Jericho pivot to now?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Eat My Fuc posted:

I gotta check the Fargo show out I love the movie.

Noah Hawley is a genius, watch Legion too.

Maybe skip Lucy In The Sky tho.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

WatermelonGun posted:

i heard that movie doesn’t even have the fuckin diaper c/d

C

I guess it was okay in parts, owing a lot to a really good Natalie Portman performance, but it had none of the cool hallmarks of his tv work, especially coming off Legion.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

yea ok posted:

ming-liang tsai

Yassss

Which one you watchin? Face (Visage) and Stray Dogs loving rule. The cabbage scene in the latter is one of the saddest things ever put to film.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

yea ok posted:

i watched what time is it there? tonight but ive seen umm, rebels of neon god, vive lamour (my personal fave), the river, thje hole, & wayward cloud. he's the best

Wayward Cloud is so good, that urinal dance number holy poo poo. I saw that one at a film festival and he said that most of that movie was just stuff he wanted to see if he could get past the Taiwanese censors.

I think Hole might be the only one of his I haven't seen. I should correct that! I don't know that I could wholeheartedly recommend Face, though it's pretty interesting, but you should definitely track down Stray Dogs if you can.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

yea ok posted:

i have them all tracked down, just have to be in the correct mood and headspace for one of these suckers. did you see 'afternoon' got uhhh, trackdownable recently?

Yeah I hear that. Stray Dogs had me shook for days afterwards. I don't remember another fiction film that affected me that way. Docs like Up The Yangtze and The Act Of Killing, sure, but not a fictional story.

Thanks for the tip on Afternoon!

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

Jesus Christ I already knew it was but seriously you guys, Twin Peaks: The Return is so loving amazing. Just incredible.

"I told them, fix your hearts or die" is one of the greatest scenes I've ever seen.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Watched Lighthouse and the black and white cut of Parasite back to back today and that was an almost impossible good decision.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

yea ok posted:

lol @ me

I mean this sincerely yea ok, you are my favourite poster*

*non-Manflurry poster

Edit: watching Spring Breakers is vital to understanding Joey Janela, J-Ru

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

It is really pretty and is about 2/3 of a great movie but goddamn did I hate that main character and the way it all resolved.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

CobiWann posted:

Note to self, don't describe Senator Warren's performance last night as "being on the warpath." It took me about five seconds of looks before I realized what I had just told my fellow government co-workers.

It's really wild how so many of us have made anti-indigenous language part of our regular speech. I say that as someone who had to check themselves on almost saying "____ is my spirit animal" yesterday when I should really know better.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Went to see The Lodge last night in a tiny, piss-smelling theatre where the sound was turned up way too high and it is easily the most emotionally-destroying movie I've seen since Hereditary. I felt exhausted leaving the theatre and immediately slept for ten hours.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

A lot to unpack there but the notion that movies dealing with crushing hopelessness weren't around or prevalent before Hereditary, especially in the horror genre, sure is something.

Chris James 2 posted:

I wish The Lodge was playing anywhere near me

It was only playing on that one teensy screen here in Toronto (normally a pretty good town for indie film) so they must be doing a slower release.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 23, 2020

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Queen and Slim is extremely good, go watch that poo poo everyone. It's half a horror movie, half political drama, and one of the best romances I've seen in a while.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Shard posted:

What's ya'lls favorite movie? I really can't answer that anymore because there are so many I love but I KNOW what my first favorite movie was - Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I rented that VHS like 100 times.

Blue Velvet. It's the only perfect movie.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

If I'm going with the movie I've seen the most times it's absolutely Cool Runnings lol

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

This is the greatest, thank you for this gift.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Spiderdrake posted:

I encountered this on a thirty minute walk and I would like to share it with you all. It is the sign for a local ice rink.

drat they just put a frank ocean tracklist on a sign

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Like so many nights before this one, I couldn't decide what to watch so I just threw on The Raid again. Hot drat that movie slaps as much on the 20th watch as it did on the first.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Enjoy the berbs yea ok

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Huh.

quote:

Randy is an awkward groundskeeper who is obsessed with professional wrestling. Longing for a sense of belonging with grandiose dreams of becoming a wrestling superstar, he is only met with abject humiliation. A brutal shaming at a local wrestling school pushes Randy over the edge and sets out on a blood soaked rampage to punish those who wronged him.

Starring Richie Acevedo aka The Cuban Assassin, The WWE’s Tony Atlas, Julio Bana Fernandez (House of Cards), Jason John Beebe (Crossbreed) and Canadian pro wrestler Rene Dupree.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7wxEgtLHYM

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Fargo
Millers
Lebow
Blood Simp
Burn After Reading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011