Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Thanks to most of you for being nice and making this place fun to be part of over the years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If I’m not on this place much longer, sorry. It wasn’t RR’s fault

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

just found out there’s a new The Grudge movie coming out tomorrow. very tempted to go see it even though there’s literally no information about it at all whatsoever

I'm seeing it Saturday. Even if it's trash, hey, first film in theaters of 2020 :toot:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Bard Maddox posted:

I’m gonna go see it. I hope it rises to the heights of 2019’s first movie of the year, Escape Room

There's a sequel to that one later this year btw

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

coconono posted:

I still want to see cats

Do it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

A24 has become one of my favorite studios

Easiest thing I'll ever agree with here

Under The Skin, Ex Machina, The Witch, The Lobster, Moonlight, Good Time, Woodshock, The Florida Project, Killing of a Sacred Deer, Hereditary, Climax, The Last Black Man in San Francisco, Midsommar, The Lighthouse, In Fabric, Uncut Gems, and the show Euphoria. And that's just the stuff I've seen and loved! (Midsommar also wound up becoming one of my fav films ever)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

The most toxic stuff on this subforum are the people here saying that Cats was bad and that people shouldn't see it

:agreed:

Only reason Cats wasn't my fav film of December is because I was lucky enough to see Little Women too

oh well i never, was there ever a cat so clever as Magical Mister Mistoffelees

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

i am READY for the emma movie. it is my favorite jane austen novel and the clothes look fabulous and emma is the worst character ever.

The trailers look fantastic and Anya Taylor-Joy has been a delight so far. Also it's out the week after my birthday, so yeah, I'm excited for it

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

There's rumours going around that Konami are bringing back Silent Hill with two new games and I'm feeling that same horrible hype I used to feel back when I watched WWE when they announced a cool match I knew they'd make dumb somehow.

It's called dread and :same:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MMA fan, Mekchu missed a word. Turns out D&D discourse today includes sports fans' ideology because of Joe Rogan being a piece of poo poo (which tbf he absolutely is)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

yea ok posted:

might watch this movie "waves" might not

I loved it but I get why some hated it

I watched Color Out Of Space yesterday, that was loving great and idc what others think

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

the favourite ruled

My favorite Yorgos film

If you're in the US and fine with ads, Dogtooth is free on Tubi.TV https://tubitv.com/movies/149545 Definitely recommend

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Just got back from seeing The Turning

It's not the worst film of the year (Murder Of Nicole Brown Simpson, by the director of Haunting Of Sharon Tate, exists after all), But it's startlingly close. Holy poo poo. :stare: If you missed the rumors from earlier in the week when reviews started to drop: they were completely right. The Turning has no ending. I can now say I've seen a film that just...stopped, like a book that paused mid-sentence on the final page :stare:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

This movie did not deserve Mitski

Mitski, MUNA, Kali Uchis. I legit can't believe how much talent is on the soundtrack to this trash https://www.amazon.com/Turning-Original-Motion-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B081KXJ9KX

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Holy gently caress

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

This sub’s been extra mean/confrontational today with the usual “everything’s fine” suspects, so I might call it a short week and try again in February :(

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CobiWann posted:

My advice? Self-care is VERY important. The world does need more advocates, but we need more long-burning candles than hot-burning flares.

And if you need to, you blow the candle out and relight it down the road.

Pretty much. Take time to regroup and breathe if you need/want it

Big picture: The cause will still be there when you get back, even if some of the people you talk with or some of the places you talk in aren’t anymore

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The Irishman is a film I think I loved but I know I'm fine never seeing again, and the length has only part to do with that

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I adore the Harley Quinn show

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My Mario rankings:

1. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the 7 Stars
2. everything else

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Stop listening to radio

But I need to know for sure that life is beautiful around the world

You say hello and then I say adieu

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

As long as it's not Joker I'm happy

I'm ecstatic if that happens and also Florence Pugh wins supporting actress. Nobody had a better year imo; Midsommar and Little Women were both incredible

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Parasite winning Director, Picture, and International Picture :swoon:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Go watch Memories Of Murder, it's a great crime mystery from our beautiful boy Bong, starring our boy's boy Song Kang-ho. It's in the canon of cop movies that are absolutely anti-cop, alongside Heat and Robocop. I heard a vague rumor that it's on YouTube complete with subtitles, but that's only a rumor.

WatermelonGun posted:

also Mother is a film of his that I don’t think gets talked about enough, but it will crush you so maybe be in the right mood to watch that one

nthing both of these recommendations. Says a lot about Bong Joon-Ho that Parasite, as good as it is, might only be my third-fav film of his

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

At least Picard's been great so far

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

NienNunb posted:

Go watch Memories Of Murder, it's a great crime mystery from our beautiful boy Bong, starring our boy's boy Song Kang-ho. It's in the canon of cop movies that are absolutely anti-cop, alongside Heat and Robocop. I heard a vague rumor that it's on YouTube complete with subtitles, but that's only a rumor.

Chris James 2 posted:

nthing both of these recommendations. Says a lot about Bong Joon-Ho that Parasite, as good as it is, might only be my third-fav film of his

GOOD NEWS. My fav one

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1227435625168568320?s=19

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My birthday was hell and Valentine's the day after was hell, as is tradition, but at least I saw a perfect movie in between (Birds of Prey. Margot Robbie as Harley still the best part of DC :woop:)

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WatermelonGun posted:

what movie should i watch tonight

Horse Girl on Netflix https://www.netflix.com/title/81060149

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Midsommar is my most watched film, I think

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I love Picard so far, but I'm not a big Star Trek watcher in general (I still haven't even watched the three semi-recent films, and the last thing I loved was Undiscovered Country) so I'm not gonna say that's the case for everyone, especially people who are already fans of the franchise

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://letterboxd.com/darrencb/list/the-world-is-hell-hopeless-cinema/ I'm only 15% through the list after all my hard work :smith: gotta watch a lot more

I wish The Lodge was playing anywhere near me

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Big Huski Boi posted:

Have you seen Aniara yet?

No but it's on Hulu so that'll probably change within the week

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

jesus WEP posted:

does the fourth dark tower book ever get good, i understand most or all of it is a flashback but god drat it’s the worst stereotype of stephen king droning on about nothing so far

at least there’ll probably be no detta voice honky mahfahs, so i won’t have to cringe while bored

Still better than the film

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

My fav 5:

Annihilation
MIdsommar
Birds of Prey
Little Women (2019)
Frozen 2

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_invisible_man_2020 90% after 30 reviews

My Saturday tickets were already bought, I've been looking forward to this for a while, but still very nice to see others love it so far too

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

and the only one of his like last fifteen years I would recommend

He extended his Netflix deal last month for like five more comedy films, so this might not change for another fifteen

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It's like he only has enough effort in him to do one good one each decade or so

He gave an interview where he was like "if I'm not nominated by the Academy for the effort I put into Uncut Gems, I'm gonna make worse films on purpose" and people thought it was a joke, and then a week or two after the Oscar nominations were given the Netflix extension news got confirmed, so I can't really say Adam isn't a man of his word

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

yea ok posted:

thanks my man. i'm a von trier liker (jeers fill the room) yes yes its true the end of melancholia was perfection (tomatoes being thrown now)

:same:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:woop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The new Invisible Man film is absolutely perfect and Elisabeth Moss is a drat star