Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Jerusalem posted:

I saw the new Star Wars.

I really didn't like it at all :smith:

This was me yesterday! It was really weirdly edited and paced. Even action sequences came off bad and jarring. Example of early battle scene (spoiler describes setting and camera cut):

OMG they know we're here we need to run away!

* shot of Rey, Finn, Poe, C3PO, BB8 all going away on a speeder in a long range establishing shot of a desert, with no Stormtroopers in sight besides the one person in the foreground looking at them in the faaaar far distance

* next shot is close up of a different Stormtrooper on a speeder that has caught up to them and close enough to shoot at them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Seams posted:

im watching the witcher series and its making me want to play the game again :sigh:

but playing the game is a GOOD thing??

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I bought my partner a book she wants, Ali Wong's Dear Girls hardcover. I am going to write a note for her in the front pages of the book but frankly I feel a little weird doing that since I try to never tarnish the books ever. She'll be okay with it, she writes and highlights stuffs in her books all the time, and I figure I might as well do the same. I just feel weird about it (but also excited!)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Lamuella posted:

Have you considered a bookplate? Inscribe something on a sheet that can be affixed to the front page, and if you ever need to remove it, it's a bit more possible.

I never knew this existed, thank you! Not sure if I can source for one before I give this book away, but will definitely keep a lookout in the future for the many, many books we will continue to give each other :)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My partner and I did our Christmas gift exchange yesterday: I gave her the Ali Wong book, plus a hand painted drawing of Iron Man, her favourite Marvel character. She gave me, and herself, a Masterclass subscription (there's a one for one deal going on atm)! And we did exchanged early because then we could go through lessons on Christmas itself. Learning together!

Tonight is date night with Knives Out. Can't waittt

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Stone Pitbull 141 posted:

Might have had a heart attack. Chest pains similar to Christmas. Stone sober.

In ER Waiting.

Hang in there! I am praying for you.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

While I love Hades, and I think it's their best work, it's still very Supergiant. If you didn't like Bastion/Transistor as a whole, you'd probably wanna skip. If, however, you were like "I don't really like them, but if they just tweaked the formula a bit..." then Hades is very much worth a shot.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

it is wrestle kingdom and my partner is flying back to her home country and we just had a fight and i feel like a naitalure

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

dentists are fun

dentist: we have prescribed medication for your toothache and we should do surgery asap

me: cool when can we do the surgery can we do it today

dentist: we can't do today because you're on medication

it's a root canal surgery :(

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Spiderdrake posted:

Was it antibiotics? I had to wait a week for mine, for the antibiotics to clear chance of infection.

edit: I guess this is kind of a dumb question given you said for your toothache but that's exactly how my root canal went

didn't even given me sweet sweet opiates just a week of antibiotics

Yup that's exactly it! Two sets of antibiotics and a painkiller for as and when the pain is unbearable. I understood what they meant, but I wanna get rid of it nowwwww

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Happy birthday Foochs! Continue being a good person.

Speaking of, Knives Out is great.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Amid Evil is excellent and will impress, your first weapon is a GIANT FUCKOFF AXE your second is HOMING FIREBALLS STAFF

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I want to say that I am mending things with my LDR partner. During Wrestle Kingdom, we weren't talking. The weeks since, we've been doing cursory texts and long, complicated emails.

We just had our first video call since that wasn't awkward or weird or full of hurt. I don't think we've managed to resolve everything, but we are getting back to normal for now.

...root canal tomorrow still though aaaaaaa I hope it goes well

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I read 2C2 and thought of the band C2C and would like to share a song now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqZm3Mmn-Co

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

if you die do you go to voilhalla

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I would like to jump into Korean movie chat and recommend The Wailing. Really captures a small town horror feel where you're in over your head

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Reinstalled XCOM 2 WOTC, booted up my half complete game and as I was scrolling through my soldiers I found this guy

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

coconono posted:

Yeah I watched some gameplay footage and it looks like they took Xenoverse and mashed it with FFXV combat. Exactly what I need.

IS THIS AN ACCURATE DESCRIPTION FROM A GAMEPLAY PERSPECTIVE :O

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Pinwiz11 posted:

The Good Place stuck the landing and I cried soooooooo much

hello you are my twin

the ending was really good and really wrapped up everything nicely

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

hello friends birds of prey is great please watch it

the closest thing i can compare it to is spiderverse - the pacing, the clear cinematography, the matching of scenes to music..

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I peeked into the fitness forums and couldn't find a boxing/martial arts thread, so I thought I'd just ask here: are there any issues to using Muay Thai gloves as boxing gloves?

Just joined a martial arts gym (boxing for me, though there's muay thai, bjj, and taekwondo too). Been borrowing gloves for a week but would much rather have my own! Found some Venum Challengers nearby that doesn't break the bank for me. If there is a thread and I missed it, please link me, thank you!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Talk to whoever is running the spars about it. Sometimes they'll say yes if your opponent doesn't care but obviously you never know. If the coach is a purist then you'll get a no, if not it's at least worth a shot because borrowed gloves are always gross as hell.

No spars so far! Just hitting bags, boxing exercises (jab jab slip etc), and technique practise. Not sure if it makes a difference.

Brut posted:

Hey friend I'm sorry you were misled by the title, this is the thread for talking about random irl stuff or video games or really anything, you're probably looking for the stickied combat sports general Q&A thread

I thought modern Muay Thai just used regular boxing gloves but I don't really know

OF COURSE IT WAS IN ROWDY RINGSPORTS ALL ALONG thank you!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Dangerous Person posted:

I've been playing Phantom Doctrine on my Switch and it turns out XCOM but with spies is the game I've been looking for all my life

in case you're unaware, XCOM WITH SPIES is also the description of invisible inc!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

so malaysia's political situation is very much NOT GREAT and this is a very scary situation right now :(

the current prime minister resigned, and as far as i can tell he's doing it to elect himself back into power*

with big hits and shuffles to economy, the parties, etc

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

mahathir resigns as pm
king says, interim pm will be... mahathir
the pm will be in charge until a new cabinet is formed
who chooses the new cabinet? why of course the interim pm

...cendol is good tho :)

EDIT: i don't have the energy to look for the wistful / sad smile face atm

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is there a place to post wrestling that's extra less mainstream than usual? GrappleMax Singapore is doing a show this Saturday night (Friday morning for most US peeps). They normally do live shows but due to the corona virus situation in SG, they decided to take health precautions and do a remote live stream show. I thought I'd just share in case anybody's up for some South East Asian action.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Captain Magic posted:

I’m playing shadow of the colossus for the first time.

I get the feeling I shouldn’t be killing these gentle giants

naw it's fine just stab them until their life force depletes and let the void transport you back to the temple what could go wrong

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

benoit blanc had the best accent and metaphor

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

This is way too real!

And Malaysia is joining in too. Hello work from home friends what media are you going to consume these next few weeks?

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

me : i will get the base borderlands 3 because it's not like i will have time

me, 3 days into quarantine : should've gone for the season pass edition...

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

NienNunb posted:

This is exactly what I'm looking for thank you. I just want nice, quiet stories about family trying to make it. In all media.

i haven't watched the anime adaptation but try planetes. great manga about space janitors

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Endless Mike posted:

My partner and I watched Dark Phoenix last night just to see if it was as terrible as we expected. Most of it was her yelling at the screen for all the redheads being fake (she is a redhead) and for the one natural redhead playing a blonde. Also she was angry that it didn't follow the comic or even stick with continuity from previous movies. I don't think she saw whichever one it was that retconned out most of the previous ones.

This is how I remember the plot, please let me know if it's accurate:

Wolverine: I don't need anyone. I can take care of everything myself.

Everyone else: No, you need us.

Wolverine, at the end: You guys were right. I need other people.

Dark Phoenix: I CAN'T CONTROL IT

Wolverine: I need to take care of this myself.

Also at some point Magneto makes a brings a bridge around as transport and that's pretty cool at least

EDIT: Oh wait I think you're talking about the new-ish film. Welp, I was remembering X3, soz

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My anniversary with my (occasionally LDR) partner is coming this Sunday. Any suggestions for online experiences that can stand in for a proper celebration? I'm wondering if there's stuff like online theme parks or museums or aquariums...or maybe there's a uniquely online-only experience we can take advantage of?

(We are sending each other ice cream but I am also hoping to be able to squeeze in a secret surprise butter cake to be sent over)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mad Max Fury Road definitely has scantily clad people but it's shot in a very not-male gaze-y way and the women have a lot of agency, maybe it counts? Excellent action film all round really.

EDIT: Someone already said Mad Max! Still great. Also I saw True Lies in the list but iirc there's a scene where Arnold coerces his wife to do a striptease or something for him? I might be thinking of the wrong Arnold film...

Artelier fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Apr 8, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Did io get shrimp? :suspense:

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

extradite THIS! posted:

Chihayafuru fuckin rules y’all

They did a good job of explaining what the hell is going on in karuta which I had absolutely zero idea about before. Also, turns out it’s not at all exaggerated and totally how real karuta is played. poo poo gets intense.

drat you anime, getting me interested in obscure Japanese culture. First rakugo, now this?

Try Hikaru no Go!

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Malaysia's "not a lockdown" lockdown has been extended for 2 weeks so...Animal Crossing or FFVII Remake? Also considering Sekiro but I want that discount to go further down honestly.

Open to other single player experiences. Eyeing Hitman 2 and Sekiro on PC too but they're a bit high for my local steam prices (still way cheaper than AC or FFVII but they're brand new and console prices, eh).

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Seth Rollins posted:

if you care a lot about prices, Animal Crossing will never have a discount, so you can safely buy it now.
Ain't that the loving truth goddamn why are Nintendo so expensive! Even second hand is like "That's so close to original price I might as well buy a new copy..."

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

FFVII Remake is such a love letter to the setting and goofiness of original FFVII, I love it. Here's the abridged first encounter with flower girl and soldier boy

flower girl: this flower is for you
soldier boy: you shouldn't stay close to me i'm dangerous
flower girl: so what
guards: we've found the criminal!
flower girl: you know soldier boy you might be right byeeeeeeee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Knives Out is so good! Possibly the most fun cinema experience I've had. DONUT HOLE

--

Does anyone remember the name of the film about, I think, a stressed lady journalist that came out I think in the past five years? Someone in this thread mentioned it as their favourite when everyone was sharing recommendations a month or two ago. I forgot the title and googling Journalist Film isn't helping.

EDIT: CHRISTINE!!! I REMEMBERED IT

Artelier fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Apr 14, 2020