Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Blast Fantasto posted:

My wife is having an ovarian cyst removed tomorrow and I’m filled to the brim with anxiety.

All the best for her. My wife has PCOS so I know how lovely this can be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Jerusalem posted:

Is this the show where the hosts will start copiously swearing on camera if one of the contestants has a breakdown, because they know that way the footage can't be exploited to be used in the show? Because I remember reading that about some British cooking show and I think it's just wonderful :)

That's the one. The hosts are Mel and Sue, who are funny and kindhearted to a fault and spectacularly sweary when they need to be.

When the show moved from the BBC to Channel 4 they opted not to go with it, which is a shame for the quality of the show.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Mekchu posted:

Well poo poo. Then what are some good shows to be watching? Mandalorian I'm already watching and I'm not super into it despite liking the premise and every about Pedro Pascal & Jon Favreau.

The Boys Season 2 won't be out by then obviously. Jack Ryan S2 was not super fun compared to S1 so that was a let down and I really liked Clear And Present Danger so the setting/bad guy tropes weren't the issue for me.

His Dark Materials is very good. No idea what services it's on outside of the UK.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I have been playing the gently caress out of My Time At Portia lately. It's a perfect Gentle Game. I just get to run around and be useful.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Spikegal posted:

What are some of your favorite promos from non wrestling media?

This one is up there for me from Doctor Who: The man who stops the monsters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ll_UhrQMC-I&t=112s

From the same Doctor, the Kindness speech. https://youtu.be/xnouj9Yz-Gs

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

TTBF posted:

Who the gently caress is Wedge? Everyone brings them up as if I'm supposed to know them)

Wedge Antilles. X-Wing pilot from the first trilogy, part of both Death Star runs, not actually that important a character in the movies but beloved by a lot of fans from spin-off media & novels.

Fun fact: Denis Lawson, who plays the character, is Ewan McGregor's uncle.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

After seeing people discuss Enzo's poo poo tier rapping in the social media thread, I want to encourage everyone with Netflix to watch Rhythm And Flow. There are a couple of rappers competing on that who are world-changing. Particularly Flawless Real Talk, D Smoke, and Old Man Saxon.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Second episode is a lot better than the first, apart from the minstrel. And overall Henry Cavill is perfect in the role. But he's at best the third most interesting character.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 21, 2019

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Artelier posted:

I bought my partner a book she wants, Ali Wong's Dear Girls hardcover. I am going to write a note for her in the front pages of the book but frankly I feel a little weird doing that since I try to never tarnish the books ever. She'll be okay with it, she writes and highlights stuffs in her books all the time, and I figure I might as well do the same. I just feel weird about it (but also excited!)

Have you considered a bookplate? Inscribe something on a sheet that can be affixed to the front page, and if you ever need to remove it, it's a bit more possible.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

jesus WEP posted:

Cloverfield was good

I enjoyed Super 8.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I saw someone on social media suggest a new Columbo series with Natasha Lyonne playing his granddaughter and I think that would be a delight.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Just starting lamb barbacoa for Christmas dinner in the slow cooker. Because roasts are fine but slow cooked spicy lamb is better.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Just booked my flight for coming to Chicago for Revolution. Flying there on an American Airlines flight and back on a British Airways flight. Booking through Iberia Airlines was somehow £100 cheaper than booking through either AA or BA. Which is weird, but I'll take it.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I remember listening to Neuromancer as an audiobook, and loving the ideas but finding the whole thing hamstrung by the leaden, monotone narration. I couldn't get as invested in the book as I wanted to because it was so hard to listen to the narrator.

Yeah, so it turned out that William Gibson narrates his own audio books and isn't great at it. They can't all be Gaimans.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

SatansOnion posted:

anyone else here read P.G. Wodehouse? Because if you dig some lighthearted, precision-engineered comic farce set among the well-to-do upper-crust set in 1920s England, this just might be your jam (as well as mine)

he wrote a shed load of books, but there’s no need to be intimidated; they’re easy reads in my experience and it’s not like there’s ~deep lore~ you’ll miss if you approach them out of order. Most anything Jeeves and Wooster is great, including the TV adaptations featuring Stephen Fry and Hugh Laurie, although one of my personal favorites is my first Wodehouse novel, set at Blandings Castle, Service With a Smile.

I just realized I don’t even know if you can buy those digitally. I stand by my recommendation nonetheless

Wodehouse is delightful. Of a similar ilk I can also recommend Dorothy L Sayers. Her "Lord Peter Wimsey" novels stand the detective genre on its head and give it a bloody good shake. "Whose Body?" is the best starting point probably.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

MitHC is the invention of alt-history as a genre. His best is Ubik followed by Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep (the basis for Blade Runner)

Ubik manages to accurately predict how poo poo the Internet Of Things would be years before there was an Internet.

Philip K Dick posted:

The door refused to open. It said, “Five cents, please.”
He searched his pockets. No more coins; nothing. “I’ll pay you tomorrow,” he told the door. Again he tried the knob. Again it remained locked tight. “What I pay you,” he informed it, “is in the nature of a gratuity; I don’t have to pay you.”
“I think otherwise,” the door said. “Look in the purchase contract you signed when you bought this conapt.”
In his desk drawer he found the contract; since signing it he had found it necessary to refer to the document many times. Sure enough; payment to his door for opening and shutting constituted a mandatory fee. Not a tip.
“You discover I’m right,” the door said. It sounded smug.
From the drawer beside the sink Joe Chip got a stainless steel knife; with it he began systematically to unscrew the bolt assembly of his apt’s money-gulping door.
“I’ll sue you,” the door said as the first screw fell out.
Joe Chip said, “I’ve never been sued by a door. But I guess I can live through it."

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Seams posted:

Screaming first order guy probably has a name too.

General Hugs

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Doc M posted:

I'm watching Twin Peaks, and holy poo poo does this show fall off the cliff after they catch Laura Palmer's killer.

I've never seen the last two thirds of season 2 until now. Probably should've kept it that way.

David Lynch's original idea was that the killer would never be caught, the mystery never solved. ABC forced an actual resolution, which was a dreadful decision.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

WatermelonGun posted:

yes v similar but instead of boring prog drums he beats his hog for hours at a time

A man jerking off to the cadence of Pull Me Under

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Kvantum posted:

I know I'm a heretic but I've always thought that Howl's Moving Castle is better than Spirited Away. I do love Mononoke though, and Grave is in that category of "spectacularly beautiful but good Lord I never want to see it again it's so crushingly sad".

My problem with Howl's Moving Castle is that I love the book uncontrollably and it uses about 10% of the plot of the book. And while the rest of the film is excellent, it's so different from the book that it's jarring.

Basically, imagine that you're a huge fan of Hamlet, and you see a movie of Hamlet that reveals at the end of the first act that his father faked his own death and is trying to recruit him into the secret war against the dark elves. It could be great, but it will definitely require gear changes.

I fully accept that I am likely the only person with this problem.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Spikegal posted:

Just finished manalorian. Between that and fallen order it's good to know there is still some star wars I can enjoy. Now that I'm done that and the witcher I just gotta finish watchmen.

TOSS A COIN TO YOUR WITCHER

Toss a coin to your watchman
O dong of Manhattan

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CobiWann posted:

Wait, the protagonist’s name is Zagreus? The guy who sits inside your head?

and eats you when you're sleeping?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Spikegal posted:

What's your most shameful gaming secret?

I'm really quite bad at games and play everything on easy because I'm there for the experience rather than the challenge.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Drew McIntyre posted:

i'll just say this. if you to go AGDQ and say you're "speedrunning" "The Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth," but you're actually running a version that mods the game to give you two active item slots, the D6, and a game carrying item right from the start, and instead of instantly dying, you get a 45 second timeout, you aren't actually speedrunning The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. and i will complain about this until i am banned from Twitch chat

I'm doing a speedrun of this game with a modded version where I start on the victory screen. Current record: 0 seconds.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

The ethnic group everyone in Europe hates is the Romani aka Gypsies. It's loving grim.

People are very lovely to Romani, to the point where a lot of Roma people will hide their identity. I used to work with a Roma woman who told me that she has an entire "identity" she puts on for going to work. Not just different clothes but a different accent and even different body language, because doesn't trust how people would treat her otherwise.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CobiWann posted:

I just got the most original compliments on my smut writing.

1 - I establish consent/birth control methods/being disease-free in my scenes.
2 - I make sure to mention post-sex hygiene and cleanliness.

I'm...writing informative smut?

InformativeSmut would be a great backup screen name

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

NienNunb posted:

In 2020 I'm gonna write more and generally put more energy into creative endeavors. I wanna write more dumb short stories for my friends to laugh at like the Frasier/Sonic The Hedgehog fanfic I wrote years ago and not let my depression tell me I shouldn't bother.

Frasier tosses Sonic's salad. Sonic scrambles Frasier's eggs.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

WatermelonGun posted:

dentists are normally morons when it comes to talking to people and being loving humans

Agreed, turn Britt Baker heel.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I got My Time At Portia (a third person build em up which takes cues from things like Stardew Valley/Harvest Moon) in a Humble Bundle and it's the most fun I've had in a video game for a long time for a couple of reasons:

• It's all organised around helping people and being useful and I'm a weirdo who attaches a LOAD of self worth to how useful I am to others.
  • The "building" mechanic isn't just "get the ingredients and make the thing". There's processing that takes time, some things have to be assembled, there's things you get to grow, which stops it feeling like a grindathon and makes it feel like problem solving
  • The setting is amazing. it's the first time I've played a game that feels both cozy and postapocalyptic at the same time
  • The friendship mechanic (where people like you more for doing things for them, or talking to them, or when you build something they think is pretty) looked like it was going to disappoint me and then really impressed me. Some people in the game have their friendship represented by stars and others by hearts, signifying who could potentially be a romantic option for your character. When I first started, I thought this was going to be another dull aspect where if your character is a man you can only have women as romantic options and vice versa, but it actually does something more subtle. The people ruled out as romantic options are married, or widowed but not wanting to remarry, or celibate, or in one case asexual. Anyone else is an option, and there are characters in the game who definitely have same sex crushes etc. All good things for letting people be themselves in the game.
  • There's a bear in a dressing gown who becomes your friend. As a fan of sleepytime tea this is ideal

So yeah, play this silly farming and building game.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Cavauro posted:

there's a little cit tee inside the tee vee

God, I love this video so much: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75WFTHpOw8Y

You shouldn't let poets lie to you.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

I don't like fish. Something about the taste of it, and it's a taste that's there in all types of fish I've tried, really doesn't appeal to me. Salmon, cod, tuna, trout, even shellfish, there's something to the taste and smell that I really react to poorly. I have no problem with other people eating it, and I'll even cook it for other people, but it continues to be not for me.

And every now and then someone will suggest a type of fish I haven't tried and say something like "Mahi mahi doesn't taste like fish at all, you should try it", or "honestly this type of shrimp just tastes like chicken". So I'll try it. And it will taste like fish. Fine for other people but I would rather not have any.

Anyway, I don't like Seth McFarlane.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Spikegal posted:

What is your favorite movie that you kind of know isn't great? Mine is Grave Encounters I also really like the sequel. It's pretty standard if above-average found footage but has some really great ideas with impossible space

Objectively speaking, outside of some very well shot drumming sequences, the film Drumline is at best mediocre. However I absolutely adore it and would watch it any time it was on.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Follow the airplane emergency rule: make sure your oxygen mask is on before helping other people with theirs. if your mask is slipping off, you owe it to yourself to take the time to put it back on.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

A pretty cat. And a good cat.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Comic books chat, I just finished reading the Tom King run on Mister Miracle and... whoof.

Like, it's brilliant, and funny, and oddly life affirming for something with some really dark corners, but it really gets into how depression and poor mental health and mood feel, in a visceral way.

I very much recommend it, but have something entirely fluffy prepared as a chaser.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Captain Magic posted:

E/N:

I’m in the program (AA) so my wife, who had been lying to me about her binge drinking, is now also in the program. I mean she’s gotten a sponsor (not me!) and is going to meetings.

Her very close friend
—who had been my friend for years before either of us met the woman who would be my wife—knew about the lying and drinking and never told me. Did a lot of the drinking with her. I wanted to meet with her and us altogether and clear the air, share everyone’s story, and repair the community. Restorative justice, y’all.

Friend messages me back that she is working on herself and can’t quite deal and will let me know when she wants to talk.

Like hoooooly poo poo the loving brass balls on you to gently caress with my marriage and tell me you’ll let me know when you have time for me.

Okay I’m done.

Well, looks like that "friend" just told you who they are.

Believe them.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

TTBF posted:

A lot of what Lovecraft did was going through the works of Charles Fort. Another large chunk of what he did was trying to evoke the same terror and fear in his readers that he felt whenever he saw whenever he spotted an Italian.

A while back I read a book detailing both Lovecraft's inspirations as well as the unintended influences he left about. Turns out all this ancient aliens poo poo is his fault.

Plus the times he just went "gently caress it mask off" and wrote massively racist poems where he turned his subtext into just text. I won't link to it, but there's a 1912 Lovecraft poem with a title that starts "on the creation of" that takes the already racist Kipling "half demon and half child" stuff and turns the volume up to full..

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

CobiWann posted:

It's not an NES game, but I picked up Hellblade last night...

:stare:

Hellblade is so incredibly good at creating the notion of not being able to trust your senses.

I work for a mental health organisation that did some consulting on the game, and they essentially got a group of people who had actually experienced psychosis to describe what it actually feels like in a multisensory way, then used that to influence the way the game fucks with your senses.

EDIT: and then Ninja Theory set up a scholarship to help people with lived experience of mental health crises gain training qualifications and advance on a career in adult education. https://www.cpft.nhs.uk/Latest-news/Ninja-Theory-launch-Senuas-Scholarship-with-CPFTs-Recovery-College-East.htm

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Feb 1, 2020

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

bradzilla posted:

Lol, my ex wife is completely obsessed with rhcp to the point that she got a tattoo of their logo. It took me a long time to realize literally all their songs are about California, being addicted to drugs and underage girls or combos of all three.

Jon Daly's clowning of them with Abracadabralifornia was perfect https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zGk0k34tGs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Benne posted:

My big takeaway from this week is that getting paid to sit at home is a lot more fun in theory than in practice

Very much this. Blurring the barrier between where you work and where you get away from work is a bad thing.