Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Dick Bastardly posted:

God bless that bus driver and all bus drivers across tue world
Hell yeah. Also, this just reminded me of a very sad scene from A Bronx Tale
https://youtu.be/n4AXJ8MHzqQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

Bad Purchase posted:

if you don’t thank the bus driver every time you exit (from the front anyway) you’re too far gone to redeem
:yeah:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

Fleetwood Crack posted:

Hell yeah. Also, this just reminded me of a very sad scene from A Bronx Tale
https://youtu.be/n4AXJ8MHzqQ

drat that exit was cold

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Tonight I tattooed a woman who was offered $1000 to poo poo in a box and send it to someone in the mail. They're called "scat boxes" and it looks like she might not need that college degree after all..

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene

i am harry posted:

Tonight I tattooed a woman who was offered $1000 to poo poo in a box and send it to someone in the mail. They're called "scat boxes" and it looks like she might not need that college degree after all..
What was the tat? Did it cost $1000?

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

SOMEbody's gotta make the packaging all your poo poo comes in, like toothpaste or razors or whatever. And my company is one of those places. The cool thing about my department is that it all starts with us. Every job that comes through here, we touch it first. We get the files from the clients, we set them to spec, we put them into layouts for press, if they need to be die cut (because, packaging) we arrange for that, we make proofs. Once all the proofs are approved and ready to print, we prep everything for the presses and the finishers. We're kinda like the gatekeepers, because if it goes out of here wrong, it's not gonna magically just get better the further along it goes in the process.

There's a million different cool things you can do to make your packaging stand out from your competitor's (because hey, a bright shiny toothpaste box = bright shiny teeth, right?): spot varnishes, foil stamping, embossing, debossing, etching, you name it. And we can do all of it. But the crazy poo poo is, it all starts with just ink and paper. That's it.

I mean, if you had asked me when I was 8 years old what did I want to be when I grew up, I wouldn't have said I wanted to work in print. I wouldn't have understood the concept. At least, not on this level. And in a way I guess it's kind of insane to geek out about it the way I do, but really, there's a certain level of "gently caress, yeah" that I get when I'm walking down the aisle at like Target or a drug store or just wherever and see something that I know ran through my plant, especially if it's something that I worked on personally. But even in general it's kinda cool to look at a package that my company didn't produce and still be able to tell how it was made just by looking at it.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Fleetwood Crack posted:

What was the tat? Did it cost $1000?

It's sort of a mandala and it will have cost her ~$1500 when all's said and done. I'd like to think I'm actually being paid by men who like to eat strangers' poo poo for money and my client is just facilitating that transaction.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
This thread has got me trippin' and writing sincere poo poo

I mean alienation can mean a lot of stuff. Isn't the Marxist sense that someone else owns what you did? I'd say nearly all of the responses so far fit that definition. My work fits that too.

But "do you FEEL alienated at work" is a different thing. Most people don't think that way, they think, am I satisfied or happy with my work?

I think my job's fun: I edit TV shows and films and have over the past couple years moved further into the genres I wanna do more. It's cool, if rare, to be able to tell people to watch something I worked on because I genuinely think it's good - you can imagine a lot of what I make isn't. Especially this year there's been some really cool stuff I've got fingerprints on.

I'm self employed/freelance (kind of... to be honest that's just the legalese, it's more like I get loads of temporary employment jobs throughout the year, it's not like I could hire somebody to sub-contract), so I have some freedom to refuse work and have however much time off I want, which is good. I am in one of the few industries where this kind of freedom is actually worth a drat because unlike other gig economy jobs, it's decently paid and my partner (who does the same thing) and I can live a sort of back-in-time version of middle class life that doesn't exist for other people our age who don't work hellish soulless jobs at banks or insurance companies or whatever. I'm pretty thankful for this. I think every job should be like that.

I like reading about people being proud of their work making boxes or wiring buildings. I'm glad we can find fulfilment in being productive within a system that has totally alienated us, in the Marxist sense, from our work. I mean, making comedy shows for TV is in most cases funded by the brain poison that is advertising and I suuuure don't have any ownership over the editing decisions I've made with the directors and producers I work alongside. I'd love to work in a world where all these skills I see you all taking pride in weren't just used to make some rich sociopaths' numbers on a screen increase. Imagine that, using your abilities directly for the benefit of the people who'd benefit and then calling it a day once they've got it!

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I run a lodge for kids in the foster system. Pretty much all of them are traumatized to some degree, many of them have behavioural or developmental issues on top of that. They stay with me in the weekends, school holidays and sometimes I take in kids that are in crisis. All this to take some of the burden for the fulltime carers. They deserve and need free weekends and holidays too.

I've been doing this for a couple of years now and most of the kids staying with me are regulars, so I've really developed a bond with some of them. Generally it just feels like a stayover, which is pretty cool. I just hang out with the kids, play games, go to the park or zoo, cook for them, make sure they eat and sleep right, take their meds, etc. Just have a good weekend or holiday, you know?

The downside is I usually work when my friends are free, and vice versa, so my own social life suffers. Also some of the kids can be really, really difficult which takes a lot of energy and patience. Still worth it though.

As you can imagine, I get a tremendous amount of satisfaction from my labour. I get to improve the lives of those most vulnerable and neglected/abused by their own families in a very direct way. Sometimes it's super easy and relaxed, and I can just do my own thing while the kids entertain themselves. Other times it's a huge challenge and I have to structure the day almost down to the minute, deal with aggression or self-harm or whatever, and I'm exhausted at the end of the day. Either way, it's never boring.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Turned down a promotion yesterday :slick:

The "promotion" was adding the word "manager" to my title and adding a bunch of stuff to my workload. When I raised the question of salary the boss told me "we'd talk about it soon".

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
There is nothing more breathtaking than when the representative from an organization that buys your labor tells you about this EXCITING OPPORTUNITY that involves you getting a pay cut by way of added responsibilities. BUT PEOPLE WOULD HAVE TO CALL YOU MANAGER!!!!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Yeah. Also it wasn't pure bullshit detection on my part, I've seen a couple of people before me take that bait and quit within a year. Apparently that meeting about the salary is really difficult to organize

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

frankly, i wish i was more alienated from my labor. labor sucks op

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

It's long days at the dick sucking factory. You finish sucking all those dicks... then you notice you took so long some of them are already getting hard all over again. But we're talking about a union.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
Alienation from the reproduction of labor

Lt Dan Ice Cream
Jul 29, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I make mechanical flying death machines for the military industrial complex.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
I'm a union member. I teach special education. I don't really feel alienated because I basically do whatever I want and as long as my students make progress and I stay free of litigation. I left another position that i had last school year because I couldn't figure out what I actually DID. Now it's much more stressful but rewarding and I like the challenge.

Recently the department of education approved a $10,000 raise for people in my position because it's high need, but I'm not sure how I feel about it because the other teachers deserved the same raise. Seems like the state's trying to break solidarity and I don't like that. Our union president is a big fat baby and he doesn't answer my phone calls. Sorry for the rant.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Greg Legg posted:

I'm a union member. I teach special education. I don't really feel alienated because I basically do whatever I want and as long as my students make progress and I stay free of litigation. I left another position that i had last school year because I couldn't figure out what I actually DID. Now it's much more stressful but rewarding and I like the challenge.

Recently the department of education approved a $10,000 raise for people in my position because it's high need, but I'm not sure how I feel about it because the other teachers deserved the same raise. Seems like the state's trying to break solidarity and I don't like that. Our union president is a big fat baby and he doesn't answer my phone calls. Sorry for the rant.

Find your steward and bug them incessantly.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Yup!

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Icochet posted:

Turned down a promotion yesterday :slick:

The "promotion" was adding the word "manager" to my title and adding a bunch of stuff to my workload. When I raised the question of salary the boss told me "we'd talk about it soon".

I just went through this exact thing a few months ago except they went ahead and promoted me without asking first and when I asked for more money they said maaaaybe they could come up with something in Q1 so I quit lol.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

:respek:

My wife is a unionized worker and her biggest gripe with the union is feeling like her voice isn't being heard. She's learned that being a bit more aggressive about it sometimes helps.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Zamboni Rodeo posted:

SOMEbody's gotta make the packaging all your poo poo comes in...

Good follow-up to the two preceding posts.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
I work on software and am happy with the fruits and productivity of the result. It's natural by this point because I've been doing it for a long time, so I don't feel alienated, but rather, confident.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'm trapped in retail and do art part time.

I don't hate my job.
But I am sick of people treating it like it isn't a real job, or even "unskilled labor" to do retail, even just passably, you have to have an enormous emotional intelligence. I have what I call a "mask" or a "face" I put up. Every dumb bastard that asks me to run impromptu tech support on a phone they don't even know the model of? They don't know I want to throw it down and crush it under my heel, as they are obviously unworthy of the tiny computer they don't take care of. I smile, I'm kind, I troubleshoot. When I'm in pain, and my body is screaming, and I'm massively dysphoric because of the deluge of "ma'am, ma'am, ma'am" I still get compliments on my customer service. I smile. I take an interest in whatever they're interested in. If I notice signs of illness (buying cold meds, sniffling, etc.) I tell them I hope they get better. And they smile back, that genuine smile that crinkles your eyes a bit, because I have been kind to them. I'm a microexpression guy, it's easy to read how folks are feeling for me. It makes me good at my job. Sometimes I notice folks have had a rough day, or pick up when someone just wants to get their stuff and go, and even when a person might need an ear for a bit. I once noticed a woman looked down, and complimented her ID picture. She almost cried. Her father had died, and she told me the compliment was the best thing that had happened to her that day. We talked, and at the end, she hugged me, just glad that she could bounce some things off a person uninvolved with the incident. I don't get paid for that, but I had both the time and ability to help her, so I chose to. I suppose that was rewarding, and related to work.

No one knows that I hurt a lot. They just know I'm the cheery one. The pleasant one. My mask is strong. I am a very good actor. In school, I won awards for it. I help a lot of people in a lot of ways in this job, and you'll never see my pain on the floor.I am relied on.

No, it is not unskilled labor at all. It just isn't labor cis men value, or a skill they are taught, so therefore, it's not important.

As for my art? I love art. However, being willing to draw furry or whatever fetish isn't the push-button-get-money people think it is. You're an idiot if you think so.

Art is meaningless to most people, anyway. I may as well not exist.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE

Art is meaningful to me. I am about as creative as a sock.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away
Art is the only thing that still holds meaningful value in this cursed world we've created.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

You actually almost had my sympathies until your started the weird gatekeeping bit about cis men, and art being "meaningless" to most people.

I get that there's emotional intelligence required from a retail job but that doesn't mean it becomes "skilled labor". Skilled vs Unskilled jobs are demographic designations that policy makers use when implementing workforce development policy.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

The_Continental posted:

You actually almost had my sympathies until your started the weird gatekeeping bit about cis men, and art being "meaningless" to most people.

I get that there's emotional intelligence required from a retail job but that doesn't mean it becomes "skilled labor". Skilled vs Unskilled jobs are demographic designations that policy makers use when implementing workforce development policy.

I'm dumb, so maybe don't mind me, but I suggest rereading the post - I picked up a couple items there that suggest that sorta thing is probably more important to them than, say, myself.

Edit:

DicktheCat posted:

Art is meaningless to most people, anyway. I may as well not exist.

I'm the idiot that went to school for a STEM degree and was a colossal rear end in a top hat re: non-STEM majors; I'm that person you're talking about there. I eventually washed out of that STEM field, got a skilled-trades degree, then went back for a math-ish business degree

I've since come around to the fact that art is probably the MOST important thing we produce as a species (after needs are met, which is technically pretty easy nowadays) so know that at least on some level, there is hope for some of those that don't yet appreciate art still :v:

Zarin fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 24, 2019

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
I work at a saw factory in outbound shipping.

When the saws are built and QCed I start the motor and drive them onto a pallet, block and nail them into place with 2x4s, install metal straps tying them down to the pallet, disconnect the battery, clean and detail them, double-check accessories and manual vs job traveler, then wrap them for storage and submit the paperwork to ops for entry into stock. They are all wheeled and range in size from wheelbarrow to quad ATV size, with the most popular model fitting on a 4x6' pallet and weighing ~1200#. I crate 1 or 2 saws per day.

When the sales people get orders from customers, they tell me what model to pick and what blade guard(s) and other items to include. I handle the details of picking and shipping and once the machines are on the truck I pass the details on to sales for customer communication. I normally ship 5 to 7 saws per week, occasionally more if a customer has ordered a group of saws for delivery at the same time.

When customers need repair parts I pick pack and ship that as well, again with sales as intermediary. I need to have a general idea of what combinations of parts go together and what really don't, so that I can double-check with our tech support person and if necessary get with sales to fix the order if it's wrong. Sales have lots of saw experience and problems rarely come up more often than once per week, if that. I ship an average of 6 parts orders per day, the most orders that I can remember is 15.

Sometimes when it's slow I'll do prep work for the line like cutting neoprene flaps or building simple sub-assemblies like blade collars. I top off parts/supplies stores for the line also.

When inbound shipments arrive I unload and verify their contents, pass the paperwork on to inventory clerk, then with his go-ahead put the stuff away and assign it to locations. This is my least favorite task because we receive 48x144" sheet metal and 20' bar stock several times a week and moving it around on the forks of my truck is frightening.

Aside from raw materials storage and the rare hell of international freight shipment the job is low-volume, low-bullshit, and pays the bills well enough. I've never felt like a parasite.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

also I have something LAP made and its great so

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Me again. posted:

I work at a saw factory in outbound shipping.

When the saws are built and QCed I start the motor and drive them onto a pallet, block and nail them into place with 2x4s, install metal straps tying them down to the pallet, disconnect the battery, clean and detail them, double-check accessories and manual vs job traveler, then wrap them for storage and submit the paperwork to ops for entry into stock. They are all wheeled and range in size from wheelbarrow to quad ATV size, with the most popular model fitting on a 4x6' pallet and weighing ~1200#. I crate 1 or 2 saws per day.

When the sales people get orders from customers, they tell me what model to pick and what blade guard(s) and other items to include. I handle the details of picking and shipping and once the machines are on the truck I pass the details on to sales for customer communication. I normally ship 5 to 7 saws per week, occasionally more if a customer has ordered a group of saws for delivery at the same time.

When customers need repair parts I pick pack and ship that as well, again with sales as intermediary. I need to have a general idea of what combinations of parts go together and what really don't, so that I can double-check with our tech support person and if necessary get with sales to fix the order if it's wrong. Sales have lots of saw experience and problems rarely come up more often than once per week, if that. I ship an average of 6 parts orders per day, the most orders that I can remember is 15.

Sometimes when it's slow I'll do prep work for the line like cutting neoprene flaps or building simple sub-assemblies like blade collars. I top off parts/supplies stores for the line also.

When inbound shipments arrive I unload and verify their contents, pass the paperwork on to inventory clerk, then with his go-ahead put the stuff away and assign it to locations. This is my least favorite task because we receive 48x144" sheet metal and 20' bar stock several times a week and moving it around on the forks of my truck is frightening.

Aside from raw materials storage and the rare hell of international freight shipment the job is low-volume, low-bullshit, and pays the bills well enough. I've never felt like a parasite.

This seems awesome as hell, mostly because I love saws.

What kind of saw? (Chain, Band, Circular, etc?) If you don't want to answer that's totally cool too!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
My 9-5 job is whatever, I take pride in my work and I'm good at it but ultimately there's always gonna be the sense that people above me just hoover up all the value between what I'm paid and what I do so I don't think I could ever be fully satisfied so long as I'm working for someone, there's always gonna be that niggling feeling that you're being taken advantage of or that you should climb higher.

For the past so many years I private tutor as a side thing, the money can be nice cause it's kind of always in the back of my mind that this is what it's like to be directly compensated for my hobbies/interests but I'll often volunteer my hours too for those that need the help but can't afford it. It's immensely satisfying because I see the direct results of my effort through the students and make connections with them/their families that last long after they graduate, get cards and christmas presents and such. Sometimes I think of getting into teaching because of how much I like it but part of the draw is that I can pick and choose my clients as I want, only teaching kids (and adults) that actually want to learn/are actively trying takes away so much of the stress. Sometimes when my SO is overwhelmed with grading or w/e (she teaches at a local uni) I'll pitch in and help but it's so clear from reading the papers etc that 90%+ of the students don't give a poo poo and frankly I dunno how she puts up with it.

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
They're flat saws with a vertically-placed circular blade, used for cutting concrete slabs. The picture is a saw by a different maker but roughly similar to the company's.

https://imgur.com/a/tEuXFpG

They are in fact very cool, and one of the two engineers who originally designed the machines we sell still works here and will talk for ages to anybody about how they developed and continue to develop the machines.

Some of the assemblers have been here for years/decades and people treat each other well except for the two who work at adjacent stations yet hate each other for some reason no one knows (they work fine). I'm lucky to have ended up here.

opie
Nov 28, 2000
Check out my TFLC Excuse Log!

zedprime posted:

I'm not just a computer toucher. I'm a consultative computer toucher. I hem and haw and recommend maybe if you turned the bad thing off and replaced it with another thing, good thing could happen? I very barely produce anything even from an IT point of view. The most that could be said is I come up with recommendations on how to use somebody else's ancient computer program that is too complicated for any one person to say they understand. The fact we need a team of people to explain how to even use the thing should probably tip people off about the real value of it and if the capitalist groundhog sees its shadow I should probably become instantly unemployable or be first against the wall. But for reasons I don't understand its a prestigious and in demand consultation and for reasons I am scared to understand its the most I've enjoyed a job.
This sounds very similar to my job. I do highly technical support for all manner of software and the thing I hate most is all the bureaucracy in my company. I get an hour a day to do my job and the other 7 are in meetings trying to justify myself or fighting IT nonsense. The other day my boss called a last minute 7am meeting to discuss topics for a new series of meetings, including how to have fewer meetings. He has no passion for the work we do, and after leading the team for over a year still has no idea about our tools and processes, hence all the meetings. It sucks to have a potentially great job that is so mired in bullshit.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Me again. posted:

They're flat saws with a vertically-placed circular blade, used for cutting concrete slabs. The picture is a saw by a different maker but roughly similar to the company's.

https://imgur.com/a/tEuXFpG

They are in fact very cool, and one of the two engineers who originally designed the machines we sell still works here and will talk for ages to anybody about how they developed and continue to develop the machines.

Some of the assemblers have been here for years/decades and people treat each other well except for the two who work at adjacent stations yet hate each other for some reason no one knows (they work fine). I'm lucky to have ended up here.

Oh neat! I was thinking of wood-cutting and didn't even consider other materials. Thanks for sharing!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I’m on social security disability due to obesity but it barely covers the rent so my side hustle is blowjobs (giving)

Centrist Dad
Nov 13, 2007

When I see your posting
College Slice
I get a salary as a government cog, but the government runs a deficit. So perhaps, my labor is alienated FROM ME.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

Got let go from my job because of a downturn in business (technically a redundancy but i have no recourse due to lack of tenure)

Basically I put upwards of 60 hours in a week with sometimes 4,5, or 6 hours between shifts (pro chef), and then was let go as soon as the Christmas break hit, salaried at 38 hrs/wk.

You could say I'm about as alienated from my labor as one could be.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

The_Continental posted:

Hahaha, bite me!

Emotional intelligence is a skill, gently caress policy. Retail is harder than any job I've done in my field, and takes way more finesse.

It's hardly gatekeeping to note that the people that make most policies (cis dudes) don't particularly value much with"emotional" in the name. That's just our poo poo society being poo poo. This is pretty well-documented if you don't live under a rock. Pretty rich you'd call a trans dude out on a simple fact after what's been going down, tho. Don't think you're a transphobe, just a moron.

It's also not gatekeeping to feel down that your chosen profession is denigrated, often to your face. I have had the term "artist" flung at me with the same sort of tone you would use to describe a subhuman monster. It often feels like the only thing that matters is STEM because it is useful to capitalism.

That's all I have to say about any of that. Have a good holiday, but also still bite me. I genuinely do wish you well, though, just after you gnaw a bit on a chunk of my rear end. Left cheek is good. Or do you prefer right?

Nastyman posted:

Art is the only thing that still holds meaningful value in this cursed world we've created.

It is, however, nice to see that some goons care for art. It's heartening. :3: even if it's not from me, if you have a little extra money, buy art. It can be your DnD character or something (gently caress, helping someone design a character is so fun!) Also, a lot of us undercharge. If you think a person is doing so, pay them what you think it is worth.

To be on-topic, art is a labor I do feel connected to. Even if I'm drawing a purple fox with butterfly wings or something, it makes me happy bc it's significant to that person. It's meaningful.

Have a good depressing thread, guys, it's getting too depressing for me. I don't want to carepost any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

DicktheCat posted:

That's all I have to say about any of that. Have a good holiday, but also still bite me. I genuinely do wish you well, though, just after you gnaw a bit on a chunk of my rear end. Left cheek is good. Or do you prefer right?

Sounds like a sexual quid pro quo you could charge for. Maybe this is the chance for increased personal revenue?