Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoldFrankensteinMir

For every creative project I get to see all the way through there are usually ten that fall apart or don't even really get started. Looking back at these bits and pieces are always a little melancholy, but they're also cool little bundles of artifacts, these unfinished projects. Mementos to consider during a thoughtful time, like say the holiday season capping a tough decade. Or when you're drunk. Or both, like now!

This year I developed the story for a Sword and Sandal feature film, a tongue-in-cheek genre parody about body positivism, called "Bound By Witches". It was designed to be shot relatively for-cheap in the Northern Colorado/Wyoming border next year, there were opportunities for something like that to happen but, as is often the case in entertainment, things shifted somewhere far away and the next day you're hunting entirely different game. Two or three months of work for ultimately little reward is crappy, sure, but I ended up with a journal full of sketches and scene fragments that would have totally been a cool movie if it had gone on to more development. That's better than nothing- I'm lucky I get to keep the rights to my unsold work, a lot of people don't.

I put the best stuff together into a slideshow at BoundByWitches.com, a URL totally worth owning for a few years just to have a memorable movie pitch on standby. It's been up for a little while now but I thought I'd finally share it here, I don't draw on the forums enough any more now that I'm always drawing for work. Waah! Right? Even though I won't get to make my own low-budget Jason and the Argonauts doesn't mean it was a bad year, I still get to do what I love, it just didn't go exactly the way I hoped it would at one point. Oh well. I'm sure we can all relate.

What other projects, endeavors, aspirations etc evaded us in 2019? And how are their little fragments beautiful to you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897777
and
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896804

e: they r fun but i wish i could've done more with them but they r now just dust in the wind

nut fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Dec 16, 2019

PTSDeedly Do

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

I wrote the instrumental tracks to a bunch of songs and found out that it’s easier to write music to words than the other way round!

Stoner Sloth

nut posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897777
and
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3896804

e: they r fun but i wish i could've done more with them but they r now just dust in the wind

oh man, those were some awesome threads - perhaps in time you could make new ones along these lines!

you're a good poster and i treasure you all my BYOB friends!

i'm fully intending to get this thread back on track next year - things got crazy and it all got away from me

Toxin Crew Thread

sigs by the awesome Manifisto, Vanisher, City of Glompton, Pot Smoke Phoenix, Nut, Heather Papps,Prof Crocodile, knuthgrush, Ohtori Akio, Teapot, Saosyhant, Dumb Sex Parrot, w4ddl3d33, and nesamdoom!! - ty friends!

Escape From Noise

I wish I could have focused more on improving my understanding of formulating brewing recipes. I still don't know how to do so with pen and paper. I also was planning to stay increase my understanding of water profiles and how to treat water but didn't really make any progress on that front. I know I'll never have a full understanding as I'm not very science minded but there's always more to learn! Part of that was due to switching jobs and having to wait before I can brew but I also got fairly complacent. Especially at the tail end of my last job. Partially from not wanting to do more than the barest minimum after he tried to screw me over.

Heather Papps

hello friend

i haven't had time to invest in this stuff recently, what with moving and family stuff and illness, etc. i will get back to it once things settle.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3897757

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Korean Boomhauer
i was going to learn how to draw gooder but i never found any resrouces to get started cos theyre hard to find just by banging away at google

City of Glompton

bfm your bound by witches site is really cool and i love Grandmother Dirt

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

BoldFrankensteinMir

Korean Boomhauer posted:

i was going to learn how to draw gooder but i never found any resrouces to get started cos theyre hard to find just by banging away at google

Not to take away from the "+ it's okay" vibe ITT (because really, no biggie! Here's to better luck next year mi amigo!), but if you're in the market for a kick-rear end drawing resource that's not very expensive, I highly recommend anything by Burne Hogarth. They're like the best figure-drawing books ever, done by the guy who drew Tarzan comics. Remember the kid in Iron Giant, who's named Hogarth? Yeah, Brad Bird knows what's up. This is THE guy.

Otherwise, personally I like to draw at the public library because I am a poor, shy weirdo. There are books on drawing you can just take to a desk, practice on scratch paper or whatever for 30 minutes, then put the books back. Even without a library card! And if you happen to pick up say a big-rear end coffee table book of impressionist paintings or ancient Egyptian art or whatever catches your interest that day, why not? Drawing from photo references is the dirty secret of like every illustrator for the last hundred years.

Edit-

City of Glompton posted:

bfm your bound by witches site is really cool and i love Grandmother Dirt

Oh thank you! I knew that would be her name when a spanish-speaking friend pointed out it would translate to "Abuela Suelo", which is so great there's no way I could have come up with it on purpose, haha.

Sig by Heather Papps

Korean Boomhauer

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Not to take away from the "+ it's okay" vibe ITT (because really, no biggie! Here's to better luck next year mi amigo!), but if you're in the market for a kick-rear end drawing resource that's not very expensive, I highly recommend anything by Burne Hogarth. They're like the best figure-drawing books ever, done by the guy who drew Tarzan comics. Remember the kid in Iron Giant, who's named Hogarth? Yeah, Brad Bird knows what's up. This is THE guy.

Otherwise, personally I like to draw at the public library because I am a poor, shy weirdo. There are books on drawing you can just take to a desk, practice on scratch paper or whatever for 30 minutes, then put the books back. Even without a library card! And if you happen to pick up say a big-rear end coffee table book of impressionist paintings or ancient Egyptian art or whatever catches your interest that day, why not? Drawing from photo references is the dirty secret of like every illustrator for the last hundred years.

Edit-

Oh thank you! I knew that would be her name when a spanish-speaking friend pointed out it would translate to "Abuela Suelo", which is so great there's no way I could have come up with it on purpose, haha.

this is what i needed actually! i'm bad at finding resources becuase google wont tell you if a search is any good or not, so having somewhere to start owns.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Fantastic! Glad I could help!

Sig by Heather Papps

Chevy Slyme

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I was gonna find a new job to replace the one that THE MAN took away from me but I haven’t and I don’t think I’m gonna. :(

Bear Enthusiast

Maybe
You'll think of me
When you are all alone
I started working on making a physical game box for the fictional video game from the Simpsons, "Lee Carvallo's Putting Challenge".
I got a little frustrated with the PS4 box art insert photoshop template I found and my incredible desire to put unreasonable layers of detail in it.

Also bought a few blank blu-ray boxes. Someday they will become... LCPC (that's what we Carvallo heads call the game)

alexandriao

I made some bad programming projects and wanted to make a more complex one but I keep on starting and restarting on that. Energy has been bad and this year's mood is that every time im asleep i wish i was awake and every time im awake i wish i was asleep..

Korean Boomhauer posted:

https://drawabox.com is good, it gives you feedback for each of the exercises to find out how to not make the same mistakes

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

deadking

Hello? Charlemagne?!
Was gonna do a lathe cut for a music project of mine and I didn't get the stuff together in time (it's okay)

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
I have several, but one in particular stands out:

Earlier this year I was in between jobs, and so I thought, "I'll make a cut rock candy business like that goon Leroy Diplowski used to have!" So, I bought a bunch of equipment, started renting hours in a commercial kitchen, got inspected, got all my paperwork in order, and then... utterly failed to do anything. I kept ruining batch after batch of candy, and when I DID make candy successfully, I couldn't get anyone to buy it. So after a few months, I canceled my hours in the commercial kitchen and turned candy back into a hobby.

Still, it was an interesting experience, and a few weeks ago I started a new full-time job that I really like, so all's well that ends well I guess.

(Also hi BFM, hope you are doing well)

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

cda

by Hand Knit
Still a virgin.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

Korean Boomhauer posted:

learning to draw is pretty easy if you just give in to total obsession and neglect every relationship and bodily need, but I don't suggest it.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

alexandriao posted:

I made some bad programming projects and wanted to make a more complex one but I keep on starting and restarting on that. Energy has been bad and this year's mood is that every time im asleep i wish i was awake and every time im awake i wish i was asleep..

https://drawabox.com is good, it gives you feedback for each of the exercises to find out how to not make the same mistakes

on this tangent, I can't recommend Bridgeman's Constructive Anatomy enough.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

ALSO

I've been working on this for months and it's just not working out. I've put so much work into it that I don't want to start over, but I know it's for the best.

Fredrik1

Gopherslayer
:rock:
I spent several years making a game and I'm completely stuck and have given up on it.

El Spider

Fredrik1 posted:

I spent several years making a game and I'm completely stuck and have given up on it.

It's never too late to recycle the current assets and turn it into a something awful themed dating sim

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Fredrik1

Gopherslayer
:rock:

El Spider posted:

It's never too late to recycle the current assets and turn it into a something awful themed dating sim

What if it's already a something awful dating sim?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Fredrik1 posted:

What if it's already a something awful dating sim?

double it!

owlhawk911

come chill with me, in byob

cda posted:

Still a virgin.

u want sum fuk?

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

learning to draw is pretty easy if you just give in to total obsession and neglect every relationship and bodily need, but I don't suggest it.

this is actually how you accomplish anything worthwhile, but eventually you burn out and :justpost:

e: on second thought, maybe i *won't* dox myself

"be gay, do crime" is kinda long for a face tat, right?

owlhawk911 fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 23, 2019

https://giant.gfycat.com/PlasticAngryHousefly.webm
this sig a mf'n vanisher joint. gobbos by khanstant

tradjik

my project was to completely quit smoking weed again and I lasted 9 days before realising I shouldn't torture myself and can use it as a healthy escape a couple times a week

Escape From Noise

owlhawk911 posted:

u want sum fuk?

Would you like some making gently caress?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJRXeYGwzv4

Chokes McGee

This is Urotsuki.
wanted to open an etsy shop to sell some weaving online, all I make are bookmarks and cat toys but I think I'm good at them and people might want them

there's always next year though

tradjik

Chokes McGee posted:

wanted to open an etsy shop to sell some weaving online, all I make are bookmarks and cat toys but I think I'm good at them and people might want them

there's always next year though

do a dream and then do that dream

Chokes McGee

This is Urotsuki.

tradjik posted:

do a dream and then do that dream

:yeah:

I think as long as I stick to baltic weaving I can go ahead and open it, I've found the perfect cheap thread for that kind. anything else requires fancy pants thread I'll have to order online so let's start with what I'm good at and branch out

I'm pretty excited I just have to actually take the plunge

tradjik

Chokes McGee posted:

I think as long as I stick to baltic weaving I can go ahead and open it, I've found the perfect cheap thread for that kind. anything else requires fancy pants thread I'll have to order online so let's start with what I'm good at and branch out

you got everything already planned out the only obstacle now is your own hesitance

ty heather papps u da bes

owlhawk911

Chokes McGee posted:

i believe in you, you got some chill-rear end pets to accompany you on your online retail journey

Artemis J Brassnuts
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Fredrik1 posted:

I spent almost 10 years on a game and I lost the will to finish it several times. I kept getting stuck & distracted by new projects b/c I knew that the game I was making wasn’t going to be popular or good. I can’t give good advice on how to get unstuck without knowing more about why you get stuck, but I’m happy to help if you’re willing to disclose more about your process.

For what it’s worth, I finished my mediocre game about a year ago and have sold something like four copies (I screen-shot the itch.io page saying that it was the best-selling co-op game on its release day to make myself feel better and for use on resumes) and am glad to have that mental space free for other things.

I’m not proud of the project but I’m proud I finished it. Anyone who’s spent any time on games will tell you that the completion of any game, no matter what the final quality is, is a miracle.

Good luck!

Finger Prince

Project: get a hobby
Result: video games are like a hobby right?

Just life and circumstance in general is not conducive to hobbying at this time and I'm worried it won't be for years at least. But I wanted to get more into making music, I have for years, but I never had a place to do it. So that's a goal for the second half of the new year after I move. Space to make music.
Space to get back in to making bread too. gently caress I made some good breads before, when I had room in the kitchen, and a decent oven. Downtown condos suck, with their "urban people don't need to cook" kitchens.

owlhawk911

Finger Prince posted:

Project: get a hobby
Result: video games are like a hobby right?

Just life and circumstance in general is not conducive to hobbying at this time and I'm worried it won't be for years at least. But I wanted to get more into making music, I have for years, but I never had a place to do it. So that's a goal for the second half of the new year after I move. Space to make music.
Space to get back in to making bread too. gently caress I made some good breads before, when I had room in the kitchen, and a decent oven. Downtown condos suck, with their "urban people don't need to cook" kitchens.

you don't need space to do it man, it's 2019 most of a studio fits in a laptop. i'm living out of a backpack and i make terrible music for fun, you can too!

Finger Prince

owlhawk911 posted:

you don't need space to do it man, it's 2019 most of a studio fits in a laptop. i'm living out of a backpack and i make terrible music for fun, you can too!

I've tried the laptop thing and it just doesn't work for me, I'm too analog. I need instruments, even if it's just a midi keyboard. Which I have but plopping it on my knees on the couch in front of the tv (that my pc is hooked up to) in the living room with everything else is just a pain. I was going to make a little nook but couldn't really make the space.
Also and this is just me but I get really self conscious about it even around my parter so if I'm going to do it I need some privacy. It's silly and it's making excuses I know. Not that I'd want to be living out of a backpack, but the ability to plunk yourself in a coffee shop with a laptop and headphones and make some tunes, I don't have that skill. Is there a way to learn it outside of necessity? Just try it I guess.

nut

Finger Prince posted:

I've tried the laptop thing and it just doesn't work for me, I'm too analog. I need instruments, even if it's just a midi keyboard. Which I have but plopping it on my knees on the couch in front of the tv (that my pc is hooked up to) in the living room with everything else is just a pain. I was going to make a little nook but couldn't really make the space.
Also and this is just me but I get really self conscious about it even around my parter so if I'm going to do it I need some privacy. It's silly and it's making excuses I know. Not that I'd want to be living out of a backpack, but the ability to plunk yourself in a coffee shop with a laptop and headphones and make some tunes, I don't have that skill. Is there a way to learn it outside of necessity? Just try it I guess.

I’ve had a keyboard sitting around for like a year and a half because I wanted to move onto it from guitar and this year I think I will try hard to learn it!

Finger Prince

nut posted:

I’ve had a keyboard sitting around for like a year and a half because I wanted to move onto it from guitar and this year I think I will try hard to learn it!

Good luck! Maybe take a few lessons or probably youtube tutorials so you can learn hand/finger position for chords and scales and stuff? Not like strictly necessary but it helps, like touch typing vs hunt and peck.
I took piano lessons as a kid so I'm still comfortable with a keyboard, but mainly I was/is a saxophonist which is part of my problem because they are loud and obnoxious and not great for composing with (especially digital music!). I want to learn bass guitar so that I can play my own rhythm stuff and bass is cool.

owlhawk911

Finger Prince posted:

yeah needing privacy to create even dumb stuff is a thing, i like doing it with other people too but only when they're participating it's kinda awkward when they just watch makes you feel like you have to be "good" or something. not just you, i can't do the coffeeshop thing partly because lol @ drinking coffees that cost more than meals but also there are just too many people in there and they might look at me (they will definitely look at me). libraries are a lot better if you want to do that. also "just try it" never works you gotta just do it like yoda/the nike commerical says

analog stuff is great, i think almost everyone prefers to have at least a chunk of it in there somewhere, but imo it's also a luxury and learning to get by without it just makes you appreciate it even more. i've got friends with audio interfaces and guitars and keyboards and stuff and it's always a great time jamming with them, i am not at all saying don't build a dope home studio. please do, and let's jam sometime. just saying you don't need it to gently caress around and if you aren't doing it now gear isn't what's gonna change that, YOU are and i believe in you

i do want a little midi controller super bad tbh, but i haven't tried one that was both good and portable enough to rock around with yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nut

owlhawk911 posted:

yeah needing privacy to create even dumb stuff is a thing, i like doing it with other people too but only when they're participating it's kinda awkward when they just watch makes you feel like you have to be "good" or something. not just you, i can't do the coffeeshop thing partly because lol @ drinking coffees that cost more than meals but also there are just too many people in there and they might look at me (they will definitely look at me). libraries are a lot better if you want to do that. also "just try it" never works you gotta just do it like yoda/the nike commerical says

analog stuff is great, i think almost everyone prefers to have at least a chunk of it in there somewhere, but imo it's also a luxury and learning to get by without it just makes you appreciate it even more. i've got friends with audio interfaces and guitars and keyboards and stuff and it's always a great time jamming with them, i am not at all saying don't build a dope home studio. please do, and let's jam sometime. just saying you don't need it to gently caress around and if you aren't doing it now gear isn't what's gonna change that, YOU are and i believe in you

i do want a little midi controller super bad tbh, but i haven't tried one that was both good and portable enough to rock around with yet

if you don't mind pads that feel like solid bricks i've played around w this and liked