Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I am no Scholes fan but technically he is right, United should have been hammering Spanish Burnley every time in this match on paper, there is no excuse for failure. I think if you fired Ole at half time they could've won it within the 90, tactically inept for sure.

That said I am glad United lost because of the joy it brought us all.

This is very unfair imo, though I believe that's the narrative BT were pushing. I'm all for piling on United being poo poo, but Villarreal have been in the top flight for all but one of the last 20 seasons and finished in the top 4 a few times, including a 2nd place finish. Spanish slightly better than Everton would be a better comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Bacon Terrorist posted:

This is true but under Emery they adapt a more Burnley like defensive tactical approach, even when winning old Unai loves a killer sub to concede the initiative on the hour mark.

Villareal deserved to beat Arsenal in the semi but it's no coincidence that it was another garbageman doing galaxy brained ideas like 'play a centre mid at left back instead of the winger who can play left back, then wonder why midfield is overrun'.

I'll take your word for that as I haven't watched La Liga in years and the final was the first game I think I'd seen Villareal play in a long time. My point was more how a lot of British media behaves when an English team is playing someone who isn't Real/Bayern/etc. They pointed out on Football Weekly that BT only had United pundits on with no opposing view at all.

On that note, can we agree that pundit "fans" are loving awful? Like, Neville and Carragher are good pundits, but the poo poo "banter" between them about Liverpool/United that then gets clipped and shared on Twitter or whatever is painful. Of course ex players will be biased, but it's been played up in recent years and is really tiresome.