Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it just a thing in music where whatever was 30 years ago ends up getting revived for a new age? (Thinking of 70s funk in the late 00s early 10s and now the 80’s renaissance)

It's everything from fashion to tv to politics. Nostalgia drives media/life. In the 1980s a bunch of 50s throwback stuff came out. Billy Joel's For the Longest Time is like some early doo wop redone, the Stray Cats were doing rockabilly, and movies like Peggy Sue Got Married/Back to the Future were made.

My sister literally owned a poodle skirt in 1986...

Also we are creeping into 90s reloaded already. I noticed those canvas looking shirts with one front pocket at the store a couple of weeks ago from the 90s, and then one of the jurors on Survivor was wearing the same style the other day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Everyone wants to relive something they grew up with once they're approaching middle age. It's not just music. Bell bottoms came back for awhile, Transformers, hell they even brought back Planters Cheese Balls.

Personally I'm waiting for Popples to have their moment.

Pogs are back babbyyy

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Resting Lich Face posted:

I didn't say there weren't folk metal bands before the 10s it's that most of them were eurocentric. There's been a significant growth in the genre outside of Europe.

In all seriousness, you got any good suggestions? I've been going through my old pile of metal from early-mid 00s but I've been out of the scene since basically then.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Men who spent the last decade listening to nothing but the same music they have been listening to since their teens and twenties who still have an axe to grind about how new things suck are such a weird and widespread phenomena online. Especially since they just have to make the same stock complaints about how new musicians aren't talented and rely on computers and also have funny names that has been the stock old person complaint about music for the past half a century.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

i like the snail mail/soccer mommy melodic girl indie rock scene a lot... i hope more people start to "get it" in the 2020s.

i was thinking a lot about the songs from the first part of the decade that i liked and i pretty much realized it was high highs and low lows. truly wretched poo poo came out in 2010 and 2011

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Arcade Fire and Metric had all right albums in 10s but not as good as 00s imo

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit

landgrabber posted:

i like the snail mail/soccer mommy melodic girl indie rock scene a lot... i hope more people start to "get it" in the 2020s.

i was thinking a lot about the songs from the first part of the decade that i liked and i pretty much realized it was high highs and low lows. truly wretched poo poo came out in 2010 and 2011

I couldn't parse what the gently caress you were saying until I realized those were band names.

the youtube comments are all from teenagers who are over-analyzing the hell out of a 3 minute pop song like its the deepest, most profound poo poo in the world. Being old and jaded sucks lol

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

ok

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't understand people who think CRJ is anything but generic. Like she's not bad, but she's not really anything either.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
you know what 2010s song will still be played 50 years from now (if civilization still exists [it won't]), right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTZ7iX4vTQ

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Chinatown posted:

cram it dweeb

Philistine!!! :mad:

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6nllEQiF8k

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sleeveless posted:

Men who spent the last decade listening to nothing but the same music they have been listening to since their teens and twenties who still have an axe to grind about how new things suck are such a weird and widespread phenomena online. Especially since they just have to make the same stock complaints about how new musicians aren't talented and rely on computers and also have funny names that has been the stock old person complaint about music for the past half a century.

This has been going on since the beginning of music.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghosteen was a p great album that gave me feelings

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

Sleeveless posted:

Utter bollocks.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Chinatown posted:

lotta good metal came out because metal loving rules now and forever

The 00s metal rennaissance has blossomed into a golden age. But to paraphrase Kaiser Kuo, metal is angry music, and angry times produce more and better metal.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
Master Boot Record is loving awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6KFfYdNPh8

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew

RBA Starblade posted:

Ghosteen was a p great album that gave me feelings

Haven't listened to this yet. It's good? I thought Skeleton Tree was too much, but I could see being into it

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Schlong Connery posted:

Haven't listened to this yet. It's good? I thought Skeleton Tree was too much, but I could see being into it

It's more of what it is than Skeleton Tree but also significantly better, imo. Especially the last three.

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

Everytime I look around, I see
So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
electronic music did ok in the 10s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er416Ad3R1g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z37R39-mff8

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxBt_p8gFkw

dead prez
Sep 22, 2019

So much drama goin down
So much fakeness goin down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_L2vJEb6lVE

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Live music and local scenes have continued the slow death they’ve been experiencing since the advent of recorded music and mass distribution

Parquet courts and girlpool are good

e: and death grips

PTSDeedly Do fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Dec 17, 2019

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I feel like pop music had a huge comeback in the 2010s. There was a lot of fun dance music that came out.
yeah though i would say the resurgence started more very late 00s with Lady Gaga really making poppy dance music extremely good after a lot of bad nu-metal and buttrock poo poo post 9/11. i mean there was a really good thriving indie euro/aus electro-pop scene in the early-late 00s but it wasn't like 'mainstream'. i think that's kinda died off tho as far as i can tell.

there was also some really bad stuff too tho

SHOTS shots shots shots shots. popping bottles in the ice, like a g6

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-mxBDuRaZ8

No Wilco?

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

gary oldmans diary posted:

it was pretty good if you ignored everything but the new retro wave

God drat that's a good answer.

Can like rock die a little harder, so it's easier to keep track of poo poo. Like according to discogs there were a Million loving albums that were made this decade. That's too much poo poo, and that doesn't include a bunch of obscure bands and even more obscurer soundcloud bullshit.

https://www.discogs.com/search/?genre_exact=Rock&ev=em_rs&decade=2010

Edit: That million part is not a loving joke or exaggeration. There were a million loving rock albums made in the 2010s
https://www.discogs.com/search/?genre_exact=Rock&ev=em_rs

mazzi Chart Czar fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Dec 17, 2019

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

Too Much Content is not going away any time soon

dk2m
May 6, 2009
i started college in 2010 right around the time when EDM was replacing rock as the go to festival music

as a transition period, it was pretty much perfect to be the soundtrack of that era. rock was still kinda popular around that time, but dubstep and electro pretty much killed it completely in the mainstream. edm festivals were pure postive vibes and i look back on those days pretty fondly

early 2010s pop was good as hell

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

big nipples big life posted:

This has been going on since the beginning of music.

Yeah, you would hope people would have the self-awareness to recognize that they've just become old and out of touch and age with dignity in silence instead of becoming the old man yelling at cloud they spent their whole lives mocking but alas.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's good that rock, at least, is completely extinct now

BoldestCorgi
Jun 23, 2013
Good things about music from the 2010s:

1) Musicians don't make any money from recordings so everybody tours relentlessly. Music that used to come around once every three years seems to be coming around every six months.
2) Bandsintown and stuff like that make it much, much easier to actually know when things you like are going to be within driving distance.
3) It is easier than ever to listen to a new record every day and live your life completely ignorant of mass-culture music. I have never heard Uptown Road.

Bad things about music from the 2010s:

1) Musicians don't make any money from recordings so more and more new artists are well-off kids who can afford to be musicians in their 20s.
2) Musicans making music that seems expressly designed for its afterlife of movie trailers and car commercials.

dk2m
May 6, 2009
i mean as a somewhat serious post, the 2010s were maybe the most important/interesting time for music ever. almost every single popular artists today has roots in soudncloud or youtube. music was democratized and was spread to more people in a way never before seen in human history. my own music was played in several international radio stations and i got on a record label without doing anything except entering a remix competition and doing well on it.

i used to look forward to going through my soundcloud feed in 2012-2014 because there were genuinely innovative things happening all completely without any label support whatsoever. for a while, it really felt like a meritocracy - the artists that made genuinely good music were getting recognized, rather than what would "sell" in the marketplace. odd future was probably the best example of this

i think it started changing around 2015-2016 when youtube and spotify started relying on corporate money to survive. but 2010-2014 was such an interesting era of really raw talent that could easily get millions of hits with a pure DIY mindset that felt reminiscent of early punk

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

Everyone wants to relive something they grew up with once they're approaching middle age. It's not just music. Bell bottoms came back for awhile, Transformers, hell they even brought back Planters Cheese Balls.

Personally I'm waiting for Popples to have their moment.

Popples made a small comeback in the mid 2000s.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Death Grips

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Sleeveless posted:

Yeah, you would hope people would have the self-awareness to recognize that they've just become old and out of touch and age with dignity in silence instead of becoming the old man yelling at cloud they spent their whole lives mocking but alas.

Self- fulfilling, those who do recognise it and go quietly just disappear into enjoying either their own music or stick around and build a new appreciation or eclectic taste. Only the non-self-aware keep screaming into the void as they feel the claws of death rising around them.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Slaves (UK two piece) and Idles are also awesome.

Edit: Also Otoboke Beaver

Edit 2: I actually really dig Ski Mask the Slump God

Escape From Noise fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 17, 2019

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

There's an absolute shitload of awesome music out there to discover.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ratios and Tendency posted:

There's an absolute shitload of awesome music out there to discover.

Definitely. I've gotten lazy about it

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
poo poo I honestly can’t think of many 2010s songs or albums I still have in my “heavy rotation” and I’m still in my 20s. I guess I still listen to some of the Excision dubstep mixes from 2010-2013 lol.

I listen to this one a bunch still. Very good don Glover song
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EV41ekWwCpM&feature=youtu.be

Tetramin fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Dec 17, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
King krule released dum surfer which is the best song to come out this decade.