Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

What is with the 10s voice modulation that makes people sound like a cartoon hamster? Why is this a thing? Do people think it sounds good? Is it ironic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Strategic Tea posted:

What is with the 10s voice modulation that makes people sound like a cartoon hamster? Why is this a thing? Do people think it sounds good? Is it ironic?

Every era has a dumb musical gimmick that gets run into the ground. I guess that's just the one for the 10's

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Strategic Tea posted:

It's just a hold over from when the 90s did it which is a throwback to Purple People Eater and The Chipmunk voice in Witch Doctor.

Mr. Dick
Aug 9, 2019

by Cyrano4747
King Gizzard's pretty cool.

Brendan Byrnes is pretty cool.

As far as exposure to new music, Mr. Dick mostly just looks for non-12tet stuff. Either because of bias or because there's just more of it being made, microtonal "pop" music seems to be slightly a thing whereas it was not before. That makes Mr. Dick happy.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

I got pretty into vaporwave a few years ago. But you kind of have to embrace the idea that it’s a trash genre and largely a joke. Honestly, 2016 left me utterly depressed and something about wobbly chopped and screwed ironic elevator music with a built in retro computer graphics aesthetic really appealed to me. It’s the musical version of a screensaver but there’s a lot of it to dive into and helps chill me out when I need to work late.

E: cruising YouTube for vaporwave albums is what eventually led me to discovering Viper.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 18, 2019

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

I popped in Calvin Harris's 18 Months the other day while I was driving and gently caress me if that album isn't pop-house-EDM perfection.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I also discovered lot of weird scary metal from the 10s, Portal and Odz Manouk being my favorites. Anything from the Rhinocervs and Crepusculo Negro labels is worth checking out if you like your metal tuneless and impenetrable. A lot of this stuff is still being released on cassette which makes it more interesting somehow.

ragnarkar
Dec 10, 2019
Only good genre from the 2010s is indie.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

frank ocean was the creative genius of the 10s

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Resting Lich Face posted:

ok boomer

Content post: Metal has had a lot of interesting developments in the 10s, particularly a large rise in the amount and variety of folk metal bands out there.

Chinatown posted:

lotta good metal came out because metal loving rules now and forever

Give suggestions, I would appreciate it

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010

ragnarkar posted:

Only good genre from the 2010s is indie.

Indie ain’t a genre yo

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
OMG I TOTALLY FORGOT ABOUT DANKMUS!

Yes, music from the 2010's was good.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
the best deathcore band, breakdown of sanity, release all their best albums in the 10s, so that is good.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I liked Kendrick Lamar a lot this decade.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'll be the token vaporwave kid.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Caesar Saladin posted:

I liked Kendrick Lamar a lot this decade.

drat was a good album

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Flume had some good songs, but they were all with other artists. Most of his solo stuff was like, "oh wow, gotcha with that one, you didn't expec... this one either wacha zoomp wow chow OR THAT, I just jack poo poo up like bizzowww" isn't that so weird how I just gently caress up my melodies in a very presidential fashion skwyyyaahhh like I do?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
Meg Myers is good

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I like Chumbawumba

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

leadbelly still holds up imo but most of it is like sousa marches or something and that poo poo can all gently caress right off

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

I choose this as my 2010s anthem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYYcpq_QlZ4

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I like this one, it's smooth without being like the boring clickybeat rhythm songs recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3T8KznhThQ

And yeah there was a lot of good if backwards facing pop music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFrNsSnk8GM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBuKNkVFaMU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4j-ED6tL85o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_SlAzsXa7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOTebhPy04g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcnIhzaDTd0

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

Ariana Grande is good. She actually sings which is more than I can say of a lot of 10's pop music

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I like vaporwave.

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
How do we feel about that digital hihat noise all the songs have these days?

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
Is there a name for this?

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Garden Sprinkler.
At least that’s what it sounds like when my neighbors are blasting mumble rap and drinking every Friday night. All I can really hear is t-t-t-t-tttttttttttttttttttttttttt in every song.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

rotinaj posted:

Give suggestions, I would appreciate it

Might as well unlurk for this. Because metal owns. And I've spent the last 10 exploring this particular rabbit hole. There has been an explosion of pretty drat good metal on bandcamp and elsewhere. A lot of these are in the late 10s because they are still fresh in my mind. Not going to mention the big names, everyone knows Gojira already…

White Ward – Love Exchange Failure

I'm mentioning this particular one because it's a curiously urban style of black metal. Also noir black metal, by which I mean there is a saxophone. Because why the gently caress not. I hate smooth jazz, but the smooth jazzy stuff in this is fine for setting the mood. Listen to this opener. I don't know how they've done it, but this album plays in my head when I look over the city at 04:00, empty streets and all.

The NecromancersServants of the Salem Girl

Look, you don't need to go reinvent the genre. Sometimes you just want some good ol' Metal. This is that. It feels downright wholesome to me.

The Ocean - Pelagial

Their singer was ill, so they recorded an instrumental album and one with vocals. The instrumental is my favourite. It's like Subnautica The Album. Skipping around in the safe shallows in the beginning, skipping merrily around until descending into the absolute crushing depths. Contrast the first track with the last.

Sermon

I think this debut album is emblematic of the state metal is in right now. An anonymous artist can release an awesome album out of nowhere. I love the drumming in this

The ReticentOn the Eve of a Goodbye
The heartbreaking new album chronicling the suicide of Eve.

I find this hard to listen to. The Girl Broken is a great song, but it hits way, way, way too close to home. Still, again, some challenging niche metal that would have a much harder time in previous years to get noticed at all.

Also, really loving good:
Soen, Leprous, Ghosts' Meliora Album, Triptykon (with album art from H.R. Giger), VOLA (Inmazes is amazing), Audrey Horne

Comedy Options:
CHRIStFUCKBAND – Hatefuck Massachrist
Hevisaurus – Räyh! (Never stop, Finland. I wish I had this growing up. Power Metal Dinos? Hell the gently caress yes.)

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I thought I didn’t like new musical acts from this decade, but then I realized that I was way wrong. :rip: Sleeper Agent

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

Might as well unlurk for this. Because metal owns. And I've spent the last 10 exploring this particular rabbit hole. There has been an explosion of pretty drat good metal on bandcamp and elsewhere. A lot of these are in the late 10s because they are still fresh in my mind. Not going to mention the big names, everyone knows Gojira already…

White Ward – Love Exchange Failure

I'm mentioning this particular one because it's a curiously urban style of black metal. Also noir black metal, by which I mean there is a saxophone. Because why the gently caress not. I hate smooth jazz, but the smooth jazzy stuff in this is fine for setting the mood. Listen to this opener. I don't know how they've done it, but this album plays in my head when I look over the city at 04:00, empty streets and all.

The NecromancersServants of the Salem Girl

Look, you don't need to go reinvent the genre. Sometimes you just want some good ol' Metal. This is that. It feels downright wholesome to me.

The Ocean - Pelagial

Their singer was ill, so they recorded an instrumental album and one with vocals. The instrumental is my favourite. It's like Subnautica The Album. Skipping around in the safe shallows in the beginning, skipping merrily around until descending into the absolute crushing depths. Contrast the first track with the last.

Sermon

I think this debut album is emblematic of the state metal is in right now. An anonymous artist can release an awesome album out of nowhere. I love the drumming in this

The ReticentOn the Eve of a Goodbye
The heartbreaking new album chronicling the suicide of Eve.

I find this hard to listen to. The Girl Broken is a great song, but it hits way, way, way too close to home. Still, again, some challenging niche metal that would have a much harder time in previous years to get noticed at all.

Also, really loving good:
Soen, Leprous, Ghosts' Meliora Album, Triptykon (with album art from H.R. Giger), VOLA (Inmazes is amazing), Audrey Horne

Comedy Options:
CHRIStFUCKBAND – Hatefuck Massachrist
Hevisaurus – Räyh! (Never stop, Finland. I wish I had this growing up. Power Metal Dinos? Hell the gently caress yes.)

On the subject of new metal on Bandcamp, Profound Lore is a label I’ve been following that has an overwhelming number of releases on it. Mostly metal but some noise stuff too. It seems like they have been putting out an album a week for several years. Cobalt, Leviathan, Portal, and many other bands I haven’t checked out yet with names like Pissgrave and Full of Hell.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Ralph Hurley posted:

bands I haven’t checked out yet with names like Pissgrave and Full of Hell.

Speaking of awful names, the band "Fvneral Fvkk" [sic!] released a good album: Carnal Confessions… It's the Worst Person You Know Made A Good Point of music.

I think I'm going to annoy my relatives by digging through Profound Lore's stuff tomorrow.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
as much good music from any deacde.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

If you think rock is dead then I've got six words for ya:

KING GIZZARD AND THE LIZARD WIZARD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9qWYUH5x3k

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
no matter how bad the rest of the decade was, "shether" makes up for it

Robokomodo
Nov 11, 2009
I don’t know poo poo about SoundCloud rappers, but I really dig Scarlxrd and Ghostemane. I just like that pissed off rapper attitude. Not that mumbly bullshit.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Ralph Hurley posted:

On the subject of new metal on Bandcamp, Profound Lore is a label I’ve been following that has an overwhelming number of releases on it. Mostly metal but some noise stuff too. It seems like they have been putting out an album a week for several years. Cobalt, Leviathan, Portal, and many other bands I haven’t checked out yet with names like Pissgrave and Full of Hell.

Full of Hell is good

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
It was the decade where rock, much like Abe Vigoda, died for real this time.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
The 10s gave us Courtney Barnett, so the 10s are good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

She's pretty cool