Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I had a good thing going with Hestia's Rooty Tooty Point N' Shooty, got a hammer that swaps the special for a rocket launcher plus picked up Artemis's "your special can crit and crit for A LOT" boon, plus the "attack and get a bonus arrow" boon mixed with a "bullets ricochet" hammer.

Dad didn't give a poo poo and threw chariots at me until I died.

In other news, Patrocles is a bro, refilled all my defiances including Skelly's immediately after Asterius ate my last one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

YggiDee posted:

Does Zagrius leave behind a corpse when he dies, or does Charon (Thanatos? I'm not on top of the Greek mythos) just kick it into the Styx so it can pop out of the blood fountain.

I'm thinking of all those visits to Persephone, and how I come up, chat with her for, like, five minutes and then promptly die of a sun allergy. Is there a corpse pile or what.

Well Meg dies and resurrects from the Styx in the same way and she never leaves a corpse behind.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Waltzing Along posted:

Will I get to a point where I can equip multiple trinkets? I've decided to try to level them up in the first area and then switch to the tooth in the second.

No, you only have one keepsake slot. You can change it around if you get the renovation for it, but only the currently equipped one does anything. You will get companion summons eventually though.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Finally got my first clear. Turns out throwing torpedoes at things works really well, even if I somehow was immensely stupid and ended up without any Attack, Cast, or Dash boons. Spear throw was critting for like 450 on things it was pretty rad.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Waltzing Along posted:

I've been focusing on keys right now. Seems I need them to get weapons and open up skill slots.

#2 is the nectars which I am slowly doling out as I get them. Will I get to a point where I can equip multiple trinkets? I've decided to try to level them up in the first area and then switch to the tooth in the second.

No, but you can get a cheap renovation upgrade that lets you swap your trinket between each stage. Get it ASAP, it's a huge power boost for all your future runs.
e: which you already have, I can't read

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 25, 2020

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The bow is real drat strong when you have Aphrodite's attack boon, Hermes' faster attack boon, spread shot, bonus backstab damage, and explosive shot.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I complain about the bow because it's not as fun as going Fist of the North Star on everyone's asses but it definitely gives me the most consistent results.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Chiron's aspect is a lot of fun :colbert:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Finally got my first clear. Turns out throwing torpedoes at things works really well, even if I somehow was immensely stupid and ended up without any Attack, Cast, or Dash boons. Spear throw was critting for like 450 on things it was pretty rad.

A clear with the gimmick Poseidon fishing boon? Amazing

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

I played this game on both Epic Games and Steam, and for some reason the Steam version makes my controller vibrate much more strongly. I don’t like it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Badger of Basra posted:

A clear with the gimmick Poseidon fishing boon? Amazing

That was my second clear lol

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

The fishing boon is great because you can sell it for 400 gold and get something useful instead.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

KonvexKonkav posted:

The fishing boon is great because you can sell it for 400 gold and get something useful instead.

I thought it was really good. I got a heap of fish and was able to build the underworld bonus infrastructure I didn't have. Getting HP+ from darkness rooms is sweet and I thank Poseidon for all the fish.

e: should have sold it at the end for a fisheries minmax!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

The real fun part of that Huge Catch boon? It was from the starting room. Poseidon was my first freebie and just said "wow fishing is rad here have this". At the time I thought it was an ill omen. :v:

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

I sold it when I reached Elysium. Maybe I got really unlucky, but it didn't seem to spawn that many more fishing points than usual for me. It was the very first boon I got though and the lack of a decent starting boon made Tartarus a real slog. This is also how I learned that poms give 125 gold if you have no boons.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

YoshiOfYellow posted:

The real fun part of that Huge Catch boon? It was from the starting room. Poseidon was my first freebie and just said "wow fishing is rad here have this". At the time I thought it was an ill omen. :v:

Exactly the same. I think it's intentional but I was like drat LEGENDARY BOON oh wait what

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Just lol if you didn't get a couple of titan bloods and diamonds on that one free fishing boon run

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

YoshiOfYellow posted:

That happened to me too! I ended up with like 6 fish but I’m sure I missed a lot and it’s the run where I learned to catch stuff. That buff doesn’t even count for the legendary prophecy lol

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

Just lol if you didn't get a couple of titan bloods and diamonds on that one free fishing boon run

Are you for real. I keep catching the same poo poo!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I just got the 10th Hades clear and man... the actual change to the Hades fight made me emotional I won’t lie

Such a good game about buff men having daddy issues

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I fished a trout out of the river next to mom's farm at the end. Apparently this is such a rare delicacy in the underworld that the chef gave me a diamond for handing it in.

Also, man, picking the fists and getting Zeus' lighting attack boon is pretty much a complete build right there. Seasoned it with some Athena to taste and that playthrough was a casual stroll to the finish.

Here's a notably annoying room, defeated with the intricate strategy of "stand there and punch" (also lol at that boon drop at the end)

https://i.imgur.com/yCckVBZ.mp4

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Triarii posted:

I fished a trout out of the river next to mom's farm at the end. Apparently this is such a rare delicacy in the underworld that the chef gave me a diamond for handing it in.

Also, man, picking the fists and getting Zeus' lighting attack boon is pretty much a complete build right there. Seasoned it with some Athena to taste and that playthrough was a casual stroll to the finish.

Here's a notably annoying room, defeated with the intricate strategy of "stand there and punch" (also lol at that boon drop at the end)

https://i.imgur.com/yCckVBZ.mp4

This kbm play is giving me heart palpitations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

JBP posted:

This kbm play is giving me heart palpitations.

Being able to aim is nice

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Huh, they didn't remove the Hades dialogue with all the early access references. They still talk about how Zagreus dies as soon as he crosses the threshold and how he might as well get in shape for when the "renovations" are finished.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I got my first Heat+1 clear with the fishing rod, I didn't even consider that I should sell it, but I'm glad I didn't because I got a bunch of Bloods and a Diamond from it.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 25, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

as I slowly climb the heat ranks what are the good ones to use first?

I’m doing extreme measures + the time limit at heat 2 and they are barely adding any difficulty but some
Of these look like they can ruin runs

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Time limit is basically 3 free heat right there, it's trivial to beat the game under 7 minutes per floor. I like the one that blanks the first hit on enemies because I like to play fists and other fast weapons, so it barely registers. More difficult minibosses is fine too, it's a small spike a few times during the run and that's that.

There's a fate list that gives a bunch of gems as a reward for the one that gives armored foes extra traits, so you might want to pick that one up just for the reward.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Sep 25, 2020

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

JBP posted:

Are you for real. I keep catching the same poo poo!

I think hitting the button as close to the moment the fish bites really increases the chance of getting a decent catch. I've noticed I generally get a good fish when I do, but also having me on such a hair trigger makes me click too early quite often 🙂

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've started closing my eyes and straining my ears. Sometimes I get a false catch but more often than not I get good ones.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Between all these upgrades that's something like 65% damage reduction while punching people (dodge included), and my special inflicts weak so that's even less damage. Almost unkillable, nice run.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Pirate Jet posted:

I don't think the game tells you anywhere that Guan Yu's spin attack projectile has lifesteal on it, so abuse that if you can. Otherwise yeah, it's weird how much effort you put into it when it's not better than Aspect of Hades at all.

That did make it a little better, I must admit. That drat aspect still broke my five-win-streak though :mad:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Kuros posted:

Pom Blossom is pretty fuckin OP

I basically haven't changed keepsakes in a dozen runs. Little dull TBH but efficiency-brain annoys me a bit much to swap :v:

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Between all these upgrades that's something like 65% damage reduction while punching people (dodge included), and my special inflicts weak so that's even less damage. Almost unkillable, nice run.

Good username/build combo

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Getting close to Sub-15, but I think this one was helped by being very lucky with finding Satyr Sack immediately...that said I didn't take every Charon room I could which probably would speed things along a bit.

acyclicity
Oct 27, 2008

A curious little mouse!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Time limit is basically 3 free heat right there, it's trivial to beat the game under 7 minutes per floor. I like the one that blanks the first hit on enemies because I like to play fists and other fast weapons, so it barely registers. More difficult minibosses is fine too, it's a small spike a few times during the run and that's that.

There's a fate list that gives a bunch of gems as a reward for the one that gives armored foes extra traits, so you might want to pick that one up just for the reward.

Is there a trick to going faster, since I usually get 30-40 minute total clear times (I'm playing on Hell Mode if that makes a difference)? The later boss fights and Elysium just take forever.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

acyclicity posted:

Is there a trick to going faster, since I usually get 30-40 minute total clear times (I'm playing on Hell Mode if that makes a difference)? The later boss fights and Elysium just take forever.

Play aggressively, I guess? I'm just constantly mashing my face into enemies and spamming attack/dodge. Maximize your damage potential. There's no time for careful play.

Suction Bucket
Sep 23, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wonder why the pierced butterfly's description doesn't mention it causes you to get hit exactly once by the last enemy in every room? Seems a weird thing to leave out.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

I think hitting the button as close to the moment the fish bites really increases the chance of getting a decent catch. I've noticed I generally get a good fish when I do, but also having me on such a hair trigger makes me click too early quite often 🙂

Yeah, if you are within a tight window of the bobber flashing you get a Perfect Catch, which will probably give you the uncommon fish with a solid chance at getting the rare one for that environment.

Tip: There are never more than three red-herring bobs. If it bobs without a catch three times, you can ready yourself to reel it in the moment it moves again, no need to spend a quarter-second identifying whether it's a real fish.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think dash attacking 'cancels' the usual backswing after you attack, which can be a big damage boost for some weapons. Like with the fists you can just hold attack and dodge at the end of your combo to basically be attacking constantly. I've also liked doing something similar with the sword, shield and to some extent the bow (where you also need to learn to time the powershot).

For the spear it seems like you can do a tonne of damage just by mashing the attack or special attack button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Man do you ever get a perfect set of boons but on the wrong weapon? I had a run yesterday of great Ares/Dionysus/Aphrodite stuff of Hangover on attack, Doom on special, and Charm Call along with a whole lot of great complementary boosts to it all. I was using the bow though and I'm just not really a bow fan and wish I'd chosen fists or something for that run.