Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

C-Euro posted:

A couple of people have mentioned getting a reward for maxing out the Zagreus Sword. Is that a prophecy that you have to first unlock or is it just something you can do whenever?

Keep advancing people's questlines and eventually someone will ask you to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

C-Euro posted:

A couple of people have mentioned getting a reward for maxing out the Zagreus Sword. Is that a prophecy that you have to first unlock or is it just something you can do whenever?

It's part of getting Skelly's favor

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

ManMythLegend posted:

It's part of getting Skelly's favor

Heh, I just did this last night and had no idea this is what unlocks Skelly's companion which was a nice little surprise when I dropped that ambrosia on them

Also the rail is so drat good when you get the right build, all my clears have come from it so fat

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s a prophecy unlocked by progressing enough in Skelly’s relationship, he’s probably the first character you’ll max out since he’s the only one who’s always around so you’ll find it easily enough.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Last Celebration posted:

It’s a prophecy unlocked by progressing enough in Skelly’s relationship, he’s probably the first character you’ll max out since he’s the only one who’s always around so you’ll find it easily enough.

My first character was Hermes since he shows up every run and the Plume is easy to max out anyway.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
My first was Athena oddly enough. Not sure how that happened, but :shrug:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
My first was Dusa because I love friendship.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Half of Dracula posted:

I like being able to go full auto for a while but that's a bit undercut by, say, Delta Chamber

Last run, I got Doom on attacks, then doom stacking, then Delta Chamber, then homing shots. poo poo was wild.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

beer gas canister posted:

Last run, I got Doom on attacks, then doom stacking, then Delta Chamber, then homing shots. poo poo was wild.

I did this with laser and eternal chamber or whatever it was.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Pashdash is great for setting up PS (as are all the debuff dashes), it's not really in the ballpark of Divine Dash

Posdish is great if you have some supporting knockback skills. Pos Dash + 2x impact damage + 100 burst damage + rupture + double knockbacks and a greatest reflexes for good measure and you can kill entire rooms just by pressing spacebar a bunch of times. Which, I might add, is hilarious to watch.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Poseidon dash is the best non-boss dash! Highest base damage, largest AoE that also interrupts. Don't need Poseidon abilities for any other button.

Athena dash is kind of a crutch because you're really only picking up extra invulnerability at the end by ensuring whatever projectile will not be there when you land. Which, if your using the green dodge talent (Ruthless Reflex) you already have a 50% chance to avoid.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tetrabor posted:

Poseidon dash is the best non-boss dash! Highest base damage, largest AoE that also interrupts. Don't need Poseidon abilities for any other button.

Athena dash is kind of a crutch because you're really only picking up extra invulnerability at the end by ensuring whatever projectile will not be there when you land. Which, if your using the green dodge talent (Ruthless Reflex) you already have a 50% chance to avoid.

Honestly I tend to use this offensively more than defensively, dashing INTO a cloud of projectiles to send them back to their owners. The only time I find myself crutching on it is against dad's spin attacks.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
This is an important point with Athena. Some people tend to discount Deflect after they get better at dashing in general since the direct damage is lower than other dashes. This doesn't take into account the reversed damage the enemy does to themselves though. It's most obvious with projectiles, but it happens in melee just as much as well.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, my most common use for Athena’s dash is to dash into melee range through an enemy’s attack.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Warmachine posted:

Honestly I tend to use this offensively more than defensively, dashing INTO a cloud of projectiles to send them back to their owners. The only time I find myself crutching on it is against dad's spin attacks.

Yeah, Splitters are absolutely obliterated by AthenaDash.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Got my first maxed-out relationship, with Charon :buddy: what does maxing out someone's relationship do anyway? I know a few people offer you Companions to use.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
It gets you a cute icon on their Keepsake when you go to select it.

As for mechanical benefits, nothing. You do need to max out most of the Olympians' though for the epilogue.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ApplesandOranges posted:

It gets you a cute icon on their Keepsake when you go to select it.

As for mechanical benefits, nothing. You do need to max out most of the Olympians' though for the epilogue.

I've maxed all of the Olympians out on Nectar and I don't know how to unlock them for Ambrosia :negative: I assume I need to get closer with a certain someone or someones back at the House.

And since complaining about things in this thread makes them magically happen, please Zeus and Chaos give me the unlocks for the Hidden Rail and Shield, TIA

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

C-Euro posted:

Got my first maxed-out relationship, with Charon :buddy: what does maxing out someone's relationship do anyway? I know a few people offer you Companions to use.

There are six people who offer Companions: Thanatos, Skelly, Megaera, Sisyphus, Dusa, and Achilles. You don't necessarily need to max out their reputation, but you do need to max out nectar, do a thing, and then give them an ambrosia. You do need to max out reputation with several Olympians to get the epilogue, which should mostly take 1 ambrosia each once you've maxed out nectar and done the thing they want.

e: If you're stuck or don't mind spoilers, the game has a wiki which will tell you pretty much whatever you want to know about progressing a given NPC's rep.

Hello Sailor fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Mar 9, 2021

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

C-Euro posted:

I've maxed all of the Olympians out on Nectar and I don't know how to unlock them for Ambrosia :negative: I assume I need to get closer with a certain someone or someones back at the House.

And since complaining about things in this thread makes them magically happen, please Zeus and Chaos give me the unlocks for the Hidden Rail and Shield, TIA

Here's the basic guidelines, spoilered for each one if you want to figure it out on your own:

Artemis: dialogue spam til it unlocks. It's the end of a series of conversation where she talks about Calypso.
Athena: view the three different dialogue options she can have after clearing a run.
Aphrodite: max out Thanatos, Meg and Duma.
Demeter: No unlocking necessary since she only unlocks after the Epilogue. Getting her maxed on Nectar will still count towards the Epilogue.
Ares: Fulfill the pact that kills 10,000+ enemies. Ares must mention the completion of the pact and then you can unlock it.
Dionysus: Give out 10+ Ambrosia total, between at least 6 different characters.
Hermes: Talk to him while equipped with his maxed out keepsake.
Poseidon: Fish up enough rare fish and talk to him.
Zeus: dialogue spam til he brings up Hades. Talk to Hades, then back to Zeus.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ApplesandOranges posted:

Here's the basic guidelines, spoilered for each one if you want to figure it out on your own:

Athena: view the three different dialogue options she can have after clearing a run.

Huh? I've never seen a way to talk to her after clearing a run, or to any Olympian for that matter.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think he means more the “drat son, it looked like you got all the way there but I lost reception on the Godtube” dialogue you get sometimes after a clear.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

https://twitter.com/Akinomakinomin1/status/1369295932005683206?s=20

This is probably the craziest run I've had yet. I had the rail with the rocket launcher, crits, AND three shots at a time. I also had Zeus on my normal attack.

I got the Zeus and Ares boons where enemies get lightning/doom when they damage you, and then I got a boon where it happens randomly even when they DON'T damage you.

There was so much stuff on the screen it was hard to tell what was going on sometimes. I actually defeated Hades when he was basically off-screen, lol.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Inu posted:

This is probably the craziest run I've had yet. I had the rail with the rocket launcher, crits, AND three shots at a time. I also had Zeus on my normal attack.

I got the Zeus and Ares boons where enemies get lightning/doom when they damage you, and then I got a boon where it happens randomly even when they DON'T damage you.

There was so much stuff on the screen it was hard to tell what was going on sometimes. I actually defeated Hades when he was basically off-screen, lol.

You think 3-shot rocket is wild, imagine getting the 5-shot spread on your first run with Eris. That really set some unrealistic expectations for me.

It also made me fall in love with the rail after having written it off with the Zag aspect, so there's that too. Doing a mad bomber run is just delicious.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Inu posted:

These are the best runs, where you wish you could highlight everything on the victory screen instead of just five things.

My first clear with the Hidden Sword was like that. Managed to get Heart Rend early, then all of the Blade Rift-boosting boons (including the Legendary!) plus Hunting Blades. It was wild.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I still can't figure out the sword. I have the excalibur aspect unlocked and I can easily crush everything up to Hades, but he still manages to kill me very quickly every time. I've reached Hades twice with aphrodite main attack and artemis special, athena dash, and heart rend duo. I just can't get down the pattern of smacking him and then getting out of the way before his big attacks, I guess.

I've pretty much worked out a setup that works well for me for every other weapon at this point, although I still need to finish unlocking all of the hidden aspects and powering things up.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I've been taking it slow, going for one escape attempt per day, and recently swapped from the chaos shield Ares doom hunt into the rail... whatever I can find hunt. Managed to get up to Hades and immediately got roasted but playing with the gun made me realize how brazenly/stupidly I was playing with the shield. I think I'm gonna jump back onto shield later and promptly beat Hades

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I still can't figure out the sword. I have the excalibur aspect unlocked and I can easily crush everything up to Hades, but he still manages to kill me very quickly every time. I've reached Hades twice with aphrodite main attack and artemis special, athena dash, and heart rend duo. I just can't get down the pattern of smacking him and then getting out of the way before his big attacks, I guess.

I've pretty much worked out a setup that works well for me for every other weapon at this point, although I still need to finish unlocking all of the hidden aspects and powering things up.

Are you specifically smacking him before his attacks or right after, cause there’s a delay after most of his stuff and especially the spin that’s relatively safe. Also I’d say you’re better off with Demeter than Aphrodite; the latter has bigger numbers but it’s Excalibur so lol just mash until your enemies are as slow as you if attack timing is a problem.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

C-Euro posted:

These are the best runs, where you wish you could highlight everything on the victory screen instead of just five things.

My first clear with the Hidden Sword was like that. Managed to get Heart Rend early, then all of the Blade Rift-boosting boons (including the Legendary!) plus Hunting Blades. It was wild.

Yeah, I also had the Artemis boon where little arrows fly into foes every time you attack. It was just such a wild combination of a ranged weapon and all sorts of boons that were throwing damage all over the place.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
I'm really bad with the shield but its still really good vs hades himself. Just stand there and block all his poo poo then counterattack.

Meanwhile i wreck the game with excalibur but hades manages to get a lot of good licks in since theres a slight pause before attacks. Just long enough to think i can get an attack in when I really can't. But if you get a good damage rediction build going (excalibur special field + weak + bronze skin + achilles keepsake) then you can just laugh off even hades biggest attack

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Swap Artemis and Aphro in that setup, get those big crits from the regular Attack. I dashed a lot with Excalibur when I used it and I managed to get the Hammer upgrade that makes your Dash attack hit twice, which was really good.

Omnikin posted:

I've been taking it slow, going for one escape attempt per day, and recently swapped from the chaos shield Ares doom hunt into the rail... whatever I can find hunt. Managed to get up to Hades and immediately got roasted but playing with the gun made me realize how brazenly/stupidly I was playing with the shield. I think I'm gonna jump back onto shield later and promptly beat Hades

Chaos Shield is maybe my favorite weapon in the game. Bull Rush, Special, Bull Rush, Special on loop forever. Get a Special that wants to hit a lot of enemies per us (so Zeus or Ares) and just go nuts.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Excalibur is one of the easiest builds, IMO. You just put Artemis on main Melee and then you can build out the rest of your kit to be literally whatever you want. I usually go for Artemis/Demeter for homing lasers and hopefully extra casts but the crit damage on base Excalibur is THE TRUTH!!!

cosmin
Aug 29, 2008
I just wanted to tell someone i’m playing on my very own version of hard mode by trying to beat the game (only done it 3 times i guess) with all the talents from the mirror that i’ve missed so I can get that prophecy + on heats i haven’t fully unlocked and it’s kicking my rear end as I only have 1 stubborn defiance grrrrrr

I could’ve cleared so many heat levels by just using the healing darkness or extra lives talents but I am stubbornly defiant!!!

minema
May 31, 2011

cosmin posted:

I just wanted to tell someone i’m playing on my very own version of hard mode by trying to beat the game (only done it 3 times i guess) with all the talents from the mirror that i’ve missed so I can get that prophecy + on heats i haven’t fully unlocked and it’s kicking my rear end as I only have 1 stubborn defiance grrrrrr

I could’ve cleared so many heat levels by just using the healing darkness or extra lives talents but I am stubbornly defiant!!!

I also refused to do one at a time and slammed myself against it about 5 times before finally managing to win

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

Do you have the Shattered Shackle unlocked and max rank? At 100% damage it is the best thing to put on Excalibur aspect. Aphrodite attack only adds 50% base damage (and the weak status condition) and Artemis attack functionally adds 50% base damage as well (20% plus a 15% chance to do 200%). Excalibur just does not hit enough times to justify proccing status effects, you want pure damage. Never take a boon on your attack, and maybe never take one on your special unless it adds a lot of damage and works really well, and watch enemies melt. Plus without worrying about attack or special you get to play with fun boons you might not normally prioritize.

Note that Shattered Shackle only checks for a boon in the slot - so Chaos boons or Ares' Urge to Kill both increase your attack and special without negating the shackle.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

Do you have the Shattered Shackle unlocked and max rank? At 100% damage it is the best thing to put on Excalibur aspect. Aphrodite attack only adds 50% base damage (and the weak status condition) and Artemis attack functionally adds 50% base damage as well (20% plus a 15% chance to do 200%). Excalibur just does not hit enough times to justify proccing status effects, you want pure damage. Never take a boon on your attack, and maybe never take one on your special unless it adds a lot of damage and works really well, and watch enemies melt. Plus without worrying about attack or special you get to play with fun boons you might not normally prioritize.

Note that Shattered Shackle only checks for a boon in the slot - so Chaos boons or Ares' Urge to Kill both increase your attack and special without negating the shackle.

aphrodite attack is absolutely fine for excalibur, it does enough damage as-is to not require the extra crit. plus, the weak is not a proc - it's just applied on hit always. aphrodite attack also synergizes extremely well with excalibur's special for a double-dip on damage mitigation

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 10, 2021

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

50%for Aphrodite common. Which you can keep pomming. Or get a better rarity in most cases when you have her keepsake and/or mirror bonuses. Similar for Artemis. Shackle is plenty strong and good enough to finish the game, but you can outperform it easily.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
I think the takeaway is that I need to be less aggressive during the final fight. Wait for the big attack, dash in, whack him a few times, dash out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah unless you have a build where you are literally in awe of your own damage output, don’t try to race Hades

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

I think the takeaway is that I need to be less aggressive during the final fight. Wait for the big attack, dash in, whack him a few times, dash out.

Yep. Forgot I had a rail run halted in Asphodel by my kids antics so just jumped back in this morning and collected a really hodgepodge jumble of boons. Made it to Hades with two death defies up, managed to reset his health bar, panicked a whole bunch at the green souls & giant lasers. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

I don't like this plan, namely because quite a few interesting and fun boons straight up require at least an attack, special, cast, or dash. With this plan, you only have cast and dash to work with, so are effectively locking yourself out of an entire build path by committing to leaving two slots open.

Probably rocks for Tartarus and no-boon runs, but I wouldn't do this normally. Aphrodite and Artemis can scale to the moon. You can play baseball with Athena or Poseidon.

Regarding Aphrodite specifically, weak reduces damage taken, and with her boon that makes weak enemies take more damage, you have a way around the diminishing returns for pomming your attack. Which also boosts whatever other nonsense you have in the cast, dash, and special slots.