Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

I wanna try Artemis attack on hestia gun with the shotgun hammer. Bet that
Gets sick crits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

When you use Charm and hit the enemy after, does it remove Charm?

I have a lot of trouble getting useful value out of it - may just be my play style - especially as it doesn’t count towards Privileged status.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Red Oktober posted:

When you use Charm and hit the enemy after, does it remove Charm?

I have a lot of trouble getting useful value out of it - may just be my play style - especially as it doesn’t count towards Privileged status.

It doesn't remove it, as far as I'm aware.

Honestly I find Charm more useful to stun bosses more than anything, especially Hades.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Chaotic Flame posted:

Well there is that boon that gives you a percent chance to inflict charm

yeah but trying to proc it with the aphrodite cast is terrible. it's much much much better on aphrodite attack/special

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Chaotic Flame posted:

Well there is that boon that gives you a percent chance to inflict charm

I got that one on one of my first clears (a pretty Aphrodite-heavy build IIRC), it made Elysium pretty cruisey.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Honestly I find Charm more useful to stun bosses more than anything, especially Hades.

It also helped me a lot on Hades, though I'd be lying if I said I didn't go out of my way to use it on Theseus/Minotaur.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Are you using Eris on the Rail? This the one that boosts the first shot after a reload. I didn't think of it much but the thread talked it up, I tried it, and it destroys and then destroys even more with a few good +Atk percentages. You don't really need much more than that to win the game.

I love a good dodge build. You really need to focus on Attack and boosting that. Boosting Dash Attack is also super good. Frontloaded moves like hitting undamaged enemies or +attack for first ten seconds (this is a poseidon deal) are super useful too.

Yeah, that's the one I picked I'm pretty sure.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

a fatguy baldspot posted:

I wanna try Artemis attack on hestia gun with the shotgun hammer. Bet that
Gets sick crits
If anyone was wondering this is amazing. Very easy run at 10 heat

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
So I just started the game. Did I gently caress something up or is there no tutorial? I wandered through one room with no exposition or anything and then the second room spawned a bunch of guys and I had to fumble through my controls to figure out what I can do, it didn't tell me anything, then Athena showed up and I can select boons which I guess are upgrades?

I'm assuming this is by design but it feels strange.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

Skyarb posted:

So I just started the game. Did I gently caress something up or is there no tutorial? I wandered through one room with no exposition or anything and then the second room spawned a bunch of guys and I had to fumble through my controls to figure out what I can do, it didn't tell me anything, then Athena showed up and I can select boons which I guess are upgrades?

You can practice attacks against the skeleton but that’s it. You learn by dying.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
Starting a game opens straight in to a run so they presumably don't know what 'the skeleton' is :v:

I could have sworn it taught you the buttons for attack, special, cast, and dodge during your first run which would be all the tutorial you really need to play.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Skyarb posted:

Yeah it just tosses you into it. I remember my first 5 runs or so I didn't understand what the symbols on the doors meant so I just chose at random. You'll learn.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I have been playing this a bit after not playing since launch.

I read a suggestion up the theater a ways about trying the Aspect of Hestia rail gun so I did. This thing is awesome! I just had what may be the most fun run I’ve ever had in this game.

It was very fun blast dashing > reload > blast dashing. I really got into a rhythm by the end of the run. I haven’t enjoyed video game action this much since playing MHR earlier in the spring.

Gosh this game is so good and so easy to pick up after a long break.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Was that on my suggestion?? I’m glad to find out someone else likes it, I found it very strong but I also had a really powerful ares cast going so I wasn’t sure it’d be universal.

Wildtortilla posted:

Gosh this game is so good and so easy to pick up after a long break.

It really is. I played it a ton when I first got it, and I find it’s really easy to just jump in for a run or two even months later.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
I finally escaped on my 49th run. I did a few runs with other weapons, and then said the hell with it and went back to the gun. That thing just suits me perfectly I guess... The first run through I made it to the last boss, and then in this last attempt I made it. I have to say, it was almost all because of a single boon that made failure close to impossible. "Stubborn Roots" It's a DUO Demeter and Athena that grants you a health regen in combat as long as you don't have a death defiance. So, as soon as I spent my last defiance I basically used a strategy of kiting until full health before killing the last enemy in each encounter. That took me all the way through Elysium since I used up my last defiance on the Hydra.

I also went with the rocket upgrade for the gun special and I have mixed opinions.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Floob posted:

I finally escaped on my 49th run. I did a few runs with other weapons, and then said the hell with it and went back to the gun. That thing just suits me perfectly I guess... The first run through I made it to the last boss, and then in this last attempt I made it. I have to say, it was almost all because of a single boon that made failure close to impossible. "Stubborn Roots" It's a DUO Demeter and Athena that grants you a health regen in combat as long as you don't have a death defiance. So, as soon as I spent my last defiance I basically used a strategy of kiting until full health before killing the last enemy in each encounter. That took me all the way through Elysium since I used up my last defiance on the Hydra.

I also went with the rocket upgrade for the gun special and I have mixed opinions.

Another good survival-y build is the hammer upgrade for the sword that gives you health whenever you attack, + every health boost and attack speed boost you can find. I think I beat hades without even losing any death defiances with that one, it was a lot of fun.

I just finished a run with the hidden sword. I got the +damage based on total gold owned hammer and just decided to chase those big numbers. I didn't keep track of how much damage I was actually doing, but I took a look at the boons by the end of it and I was rolling something like +35% damage, +45% damage, and +87% damage from the boons I had. I'm not sure if the damage % upgrades are multiplicitive or if they are just additive?

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

I remember my first 5 runs or so I didn't understand what the symbols on the doors meant so I just chose at random. You'll learn.

Glad I'm not the only one, felt like an idiot when I realised what they were for.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It took far, far more runs than I’d like to admit to realize there were skulls at all and a few more after that do realize they’re shorthand for harder rooms/mini bosses/better loot. It’s pretty funny how often I fought Tiny Vermin before realizing he’s pretty consistently easy to avoid unless you get super unlucky.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
If you have reasonable dps the bosses are much easier than the non-boss rooms imo, even tiny vermin.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, I hate the big wide end rooms with armoured satyrs/giant rats. Satyrs aren't too bad by themselves but all it takes is forgetting one is just offscreen within hoargh range and you're dashing to find the nearest fountain.

The Giant Bother is pretty easy for a mini-boss.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Last Celebration posted:

It took far, far more runs than I’d like to admit to realize there were skulls at all and a few more after that do realize they’re shorthand for harder rooms/mini bosses/better loot. It’s pretty funny how often I fought Tiny Vermin before realizing he’s pretty consistently easy to avoid unless you get super unlucky.

Took me a while too, but it's slightly more complex too.

A skull is a harder room.
A skull with a single chevron is a miniboss.
A skull with two chevrons is an Infernal Gate.
A gold skull with two chevrons and a gold star is a boss.

There's a nice picture here:

According to that guide you can't re-roll from temp to permanent upgrades and vice versa either, which I didn't know.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The fresh file category of speedruns also taught me that there's a safety reward of food that it offers you if there's no other valid reward. It only crops up there because you haven't met most of the gods yet so I'm guessing you'd never see it playing casually.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
this game loving rules, does petting Cerberus do anything or is it just for fun (it's very fun) also can you romance people in it. also I'm worried the game is getting too easy cause I beat Meg for the first time last night and after two runs today I got to Theseus and the bull and had them both down to 25% when they got me. it was a super overpowered run though, I had level 4 doom that stacked and my dash inflicted weak so it was like dry leaves in a fire. I feel like I was very close to the end and don't want it to be over. I'm probably gonna have to fight Cerberus at some point which sucks but gtfo my way dog

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Petting is just fun.

You can romance multiple people in one run with no problems arising because of it, just keep giving everyone nectar and ambrosia and enjoy the relationship dialogue.

Personally I escaped once and then turned on God mode so I could just enjoy the rest.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

What does god mode do and how to heck does one get ambrosia?

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
You’ll get Ambrosia naturally just progressing through the Underworld. God Mode gives you a small amount of cumulative damage resistance every time you die. It basically becomes a personally calibrated difficulty setting. You keep getting a bit of damage resistance until you stop dying all the time. You can turn it on at anytime from the settings menu.

Please post here again after you have your final encounter w/ Cerberus lol.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wow the gun sucks. am I using it wrong or does it truly just suck poo poo and piss

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
You’re using it wrong, gun is best.

But really you’re gonna have your own favorite. Gun is very different from the others at first. It’s my favorite now but after my first run I left it alone for awhile. Took a couple runs that I took it because it had the bonuses before I appreciated it.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

indigi posted:

wow the gun sucks. am I using it wrong or does it truly just suck poo poo and piss

I hated the rail gun the first couple of times I used it, but when you get the perfect boon combos and Daedalus hammer upgrades, it becomes one of the most disgustingly fun weapons in the arsenal.

Just keep going and going and going. You'll continually meet new gods and some unexpected people in your travels that will gift you all kinds of good stuff. And don't worry about getting your rear end kicked, I (and many others) didn't get my first clear until 40+ attempts, but those deaths give you experience with weapons and boons, and you start learning what works better with each other.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

The alternate modes are all extremely good, but the base model gun is kinda poo poo imo.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Riven posted:

Petting is just fun.

Actually it does have a kinda sorta gameplay effect, you gotta pet Cerberus at least 20 times to fully max out his favour. I don't think maxing it out actually does anything though.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

The gun's reload requiring you to click the right stick really doesn't help first impressions of it (there was a weapon in Bastion with the same setup so clearly someone at Supergiant thinks it's a good idea). I swapped that with the codex button and found myself enjoying the gun way more.

Floob
Jan 28, 2005

See you on Rubi-Ka
Once you're firing on all cylinders with the gun, it makes any other non-ranged weapon tricky to go back to. To start, try and focus on one fire mode. Either attack or special when choosing boons. That will help you focus on learning just one of the weapons modes. I have run through a few times having almost never even used the fire mode. A couple hammer upgrades and the right knock backs, and armor piercing, and the guns special attack is like an I win button :)

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Speaking of the gun, I just unlocked the hidden aspect, it's kinda fun.

I love a good broken build. My previous run with the shield/Zeus aspect I just had a streak of great Epic boons early on in the first dungeon, could tell I was gonna steamroll everything. Wound up beating my previous speed record with the fists by three minutes (from 21' down to 18'), no death defiances used.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

What’s the secret gun mode

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

indigi posted:

What’s the secret gun mode

Laser beam

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Oh poo poo how do I get it

E: what’s everyone’s favorite keepsakes, I’ve found Dusa’s to be very helpful but right now I’m leveling up Skelly’s

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

indigi posted:

Unlock the hidden spear aspect, spend 5 blood on gun upgrades (any will do I think?), talk to Zeus a couple times in runs.

e: Whichever supports the playstyle you like. If you're working towards a particular build it can really help to start with the right god keepsake to get the run started right, but the acorn is pretty good for the final area.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I only have 8 blood idk how to get more

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

indigi posted:

I only have 8 blood idk how to get more

Beat the boss, unlock heat.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

How do you make the hidden gun even work. What boons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

indigi posted:

E: what’s everyone’s favorite keepsakes, I’ve found Dusa’s to be very helpful but right now I’m leveling up Skelly’s

Cerberus and Skelly are imo the most useful early on especially when you don’t have all the HP upgrades yet

The god ones are all very useful - usually on the second or third zone to pick up a boon you’re missing but sometimes to start with if you know you wanna go for a certain combo (Zeus + Gun is great for example)