Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Are the sword and the spear the only two that have four aspects right now?

Also I'm not sure where I would go to find this but is there a writeup anywhere of stuff they are still planning on adding to the game? Like, are they planning to add Hera and Apollo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Badger of Basra posted:

Are the sword and the spear the only two that have four aspects right now?

Yes

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I legitimately can't think of any other mythological characters that would make sense for the other aspects, but also I am very bad at thinking about mythological characters with any weapon association.

I'm SURE there's a logical answer for bow. Fists and rail are kind of up to whatever the gently caress they want because "gun" was not an ancient weapon and "knuckles" were never used as a real battlefield weapon so I don't think there's much mythology associated with them. I guess for gun you could have any fire god or sun god from any other mythology and that would make some sense? Shield I have no real clue about either, though I'm sure there's a logical answer for that too.

Ultima66 fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 13, 2020

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

Ultima66 posted:

I legitimately can't think of any other mythological characters that would make sense for the other aspects, but also I am very bad at thinking about mythological characters with any weapon association.

I'm SURE there's a logical answer for bow. Fists and rail are kind of up to whatever the gently caress they want because "gun" was not an ancient weapon and "knuckles" were never used as a real battlefield weapon so I don't think there's much mythology associated with them. I guess for gun you could have any fire god or sun god from any other mythology and that would make some sense? Shield I have no real clue about either, though I'm sure there's a logical answer for that too.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_mythological_objects

There are an absolute ton of mythological bows to pick from, my moneys on Rama's bow since I think they are trying to incorporate many different mythologies and it is part mortal part divine weapon. Fewer shields and gauntlets, but there still are some. I suspect the rail will be something powerful but vaguely described in its original myth, or they could cheat and just use some other type of ranged weapon.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ultima66 posted:

Bear in mind both Guan Yu and King Arthur are in the future from the time of the game - the Rail could easily have the aspect of Billy the Kid or something. Are there any particularly well-known named guns? Like, specifically named, like Excalibur and the Frost-Fair Blade, not just a model or whatever.

Wikipedia has some lists that could be starting places for the bow and shield. The fists would be harder, because while there's endless legendary martial artists, there's generally not a lot of focus on the gloves they wore.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

I don't think there's any mythological basis for Demeter punching dudes in the throat, either. They could give the gloves the aspect of Jackie Chan and it would make more sense than boxing grandma.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Lyudmila Pavlichenko Aspect for the Rail.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

The problem with named guns is they're generally artillery, like Mons Meg or Schwere Gustav. On the other hand, an M16 with underbarrel launcher is exactly right mechanically.

Fists can be the claws of a monster, or the gloves of a boxer, or cestus of a gladiator, but Roman is probably too close to Greek.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Eh, just because the first two are named after the weapon itself doesn't mean they all will be. Aspect of Billy The Kid, it's no less goofy than Excalibur.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Dias posted:

Lyudmila Pavlichenko Aspect for the Rail.

I would bet on Aspect of Kalashnikov for the Rail, but this is also a good choice.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Ash aspect

Agni aspect

Dillinger aspect

Chekhov aspect :rimshot:

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Aspect of David

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Serephina posted:

Eh, just because the first two are named after the weapon itself doesn't mean they all will be. Aspect of Billy The Kid, it's no less goofy than Excalibur.

Aspect of Child William :thunk:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I could see Aspect of Gilgamesh, Aspect of Cu Chulainn, Aspect of Beowulf, maybe even Aspect of Robin Hood?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

Aspect of Robin Hood?

Only acceptable if Zagreus wears stylish green tights while wielding it.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Aspect of the White Death would be awesome, but that might be a little bit too recent considering he died in 2002.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Arzaac posted:

Aspect of the White Death would be awesome, but that might be a little bit too recent considering he died in 2002.

I was gonna say him, but it's too real and grim.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
This game is mega rad. What do you do with the purple keys after you've unlocked all the stuff in the mirror?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

This game is mega rad. What do you do with the purple keys after you've unlocked all the stuff in the mirror?

You can spend one to respec in the mirror, or trade them in for nectar in the lounge.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Also watch the special deals, I have seen 15 keys for a titan's blood a couple times, which is pretty good.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona
So I picked up the game when it launched on Steam and put about 40 hours into it very quickly, then took a break. I decided to check out the newest patch like a week ago and now have 70 hours on record so hopefully that's a solid representation of how I'm enjoying it.

Everything is fun, I can finish a run with any weapon pretty consistently, boxing gloves are cool. The game is good.

Supergiant did it again.

Filler Bunny
Jul 16, 2003

ThePagey posted:

So I picked up the game when it launched on Steam and put about 40 hours into it very quickly, then took a break. I decided to check out the newest patch like a week ago and now have 70 hours on record so hopefully that's a solid representation of how I'm enjoying it.

Everything is fun, I can finish a run with any weapon pretty consistently, boxing gloves are cool. The game is good.

Supergiant did it again.

Game is good. I am at right around 40 and still having tons of fun. Great game to pick up and play a run or 2 once in awhile, with a very fun learning curve up front.

I also appreciate that sometimes you get hosed by RNG and Elysium-->hades fight is a slog, and sometimes the game gives you everything and you steamroll the entire run

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Been playing this game more lately. I swear, every time I pick it up I'm continually impressed. It's real, real good. I loved Dead Cells but this is just a whole different level of polish.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
After my first successful run by shield blocking cheese, my only 2 other winners are Poseidon sword and hera bow, both getting fully loaded with Artemis damage.

Cast builds are dumb, but this game is great.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Just picked this up because it was on sale. I usually hate games like this because I'm terrible at them.

So far made it to the Styx level. Spear and fists kick rear end.

Also is it bad that I never use Cast?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Just picked this up because it was on sale. I usually hate games like this because I'm terrible at them.

cast is of negligible use until you upgrade it to give yourself 3 shots and deal increased damage to enemies struck by it, at which point it becomes essential

it also has absolutely bonkers synergies with numerous boons, especially if you use the artemis bow

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I only use it on bosses or things that have a lot of HP for the damage bonus you get from the mirror

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
In most builds, casts are extremely useful. In some they're completely essential. I didn't use casts very often or effectively starting out either, but it's definitely worth training yourself to do so. There are a lot of good reasons. Doing good damage at distance is very nice to have around when you're using melee range weapons and some casts are strong enough to carry you through a whole run by themselves. The 50% damage bonus is huge, available with one button press, and can stack with other bonuses. Also, depending on your boons, your casts can help trigger Privileged Status and get you another big damage bonus that compounds with the regular bloodstone bonus and anything else you have going. Any one of these is enough to make them a worthwhile addition to your regular tactics. My runs improved dramatically once I started building some skill and muscle memory with them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Cast has insane dps potential for some duo boons especially with Artemis synergies.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Cast also benefits hugely from % damage boosts like Chaos boons, because of the way God boons and level upgrades stack.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Megaera has too many interactions for how rare she is. I've been stuck on talking to her as part of the sisyphus quest for two dozen runs at this point and its just demoralizing, every time I see her it's some other new fluffy thing that got added instead.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
A lot of that is due to overplaying in early access; presumably a newer player is going to see meg a lot more before they advance enough to get the other sisters.

I'm honestly considering starting a new save once 1.0 comes out for mostly fluff/lore reasons. Hopefully Hell-Mode is in good shape by then.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Serephina posted:

A lot of that is due to overplaying in early access; presumably a newer player is going to see meg a lot more before they advance enough to get the other sisters.

I'm honestly considering starting a new save once 1.0 comes out for mostly fluff/lore reasons. Hopefully Hell-Mode is in good shape by then.

I don't know if I'd want to start a new save just because the idea of collecting allllllll that darkness and build up all those relationships again seems like a good way to make me stop playing. It would be neat if they could do a sort of lore reset, and allow you to redo the story bits in the intended order, but without requiring you to go back and hand out nectar/ambrosia (maybe just refund it all) or do any other grinding all over again.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

BobTheJanitor posted:

I don't know if I'd want to start a new save just because the idea of collecting allllllll that darkness and build up all those relationships again seems like a good way to make me stop playing. It would be neat if they could do a sort of lore reset, and allow you to redo the story bits in the intended order, but without requiring you to go back and hand out nectar/ambrosia (maybe just refund it all) or do any other grinding all over again.

There's a god mode setting somewhere right? I suppose you could run through that to get all the new story stuff.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Lord Lambeth posted:

There's a god mode setting somewhere right? I suppose you could run through that to get all the new story stuff.

Oof, it makes the hack&slash easier from what I can tell, but a lot of the grind is running about doing character quests and of course the kabillion ambrosias you need.

Really, there's no winning for us. We bought EA and ate half the cake, so now we can't have it anymore.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
There's a save game editor out there. Start new save, give yourself tons of mats/darkness/etc, and bam.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
I've loved what I've played but also have stopped until 1.0 for this very reason. I want to play the full experience from scratch and not feel like I've seen almost everything already.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, likewise. Early Access is always a trap because you get bored of the game before it's ready and never get the "full" experience.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The huge delay before the upcoming June update helps. I didn't 100% everything before I got burnt out, and hopefully the new update adds a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I havent even unlocked all the content that was available when I started playing and I think the number of interactions required in general for bouldy is frustrating/excessive.

I admit I did get bored when the game got a lot harder in January because spending twice as long on average fighting hades wasnt much fun which might be a better example of EA burn out.