Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it slows down in monster closet areas on the switch but it’s still totally playable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

KonvexKonkav posted:

Bought this at launch and already played 20 runs before I figured out that you can change the active talents at the mirror of night from a red to a green version. For the most part the basic red ones seem better, but are there any particular green ones worth changing into?
I generally prefer red for everything except maybe the very last one one (Fated Authority vs Fated Persuation but I'm rank 1 on both so who cares). The one that's most worth toggling per run is Privileged Status vs Family Favorite because there are great aspects like the Hestia rail that don't work at all with Privileged Status.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Dark Regeneration is very good, but I still tend to use Chthonic Vitality mostly because late game is where I tend to want the extra health the most and you don't get very many opportunities to pick up darkness in Styx.

Agreed. Dark regen is really nice if you're running on a lower heat you've already beaten and just farming darkness for the mirror. But if you're pushing through new difficulties, the 3 HP per room is going to give you more overall, especially if you've maxed out the mirror and are trying to avoid darkness rooms.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

There's some niche uses of the other ones.

Regenerating casts is pretty good for some casts (Demeter and Ares are prime examples) because you don't have to go collect them and spamming is pretty nice.

The revival per room is good if you're maxing out healing penalty on the Pact because you can die once per room to get health back.

The duo boons+ is good if you're hunting for a specific duo.

I think the only ones I think absolutely suck unless you want to punish yourself are the bonus damage dash, the bonus damage at high health, and more chances at reward rooms?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

Regenerating casts is pretty good for some casts (Demeter and Ares are prime examples) because you don't have to go collect them and spamming is pretty nice.

The revival per room is good if you're maxing out healing penalty on the Pact because you can die once per room to get health back.

I think the only ones I think absolutely suck unless you want to punish yourself are the bonus damage dash, the bonus damage at high health, and more chances at reward rooms?

The bonus damage dash is amazing. You get +50% damage *and* dodge chance on a near-dodge which if you're already running a dodge build (like fists) effectively renders you untouchable while also insanely increasing your damage output.

Bonus damage at high health isn't bad if you're running Guan Yi because your health there is so nerfed that Guan Yi's healing can pretty easily get you above 80% and the bonus 50 life is already heavily nerfed.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

WarpedLichen posted:

I'm way into the bonus damage dash. Only having 1 dash is a bummer, but the bonus damage AND dodge chance is big, and you rarely need multiple dashes if you're playing carefully. Plus, extra dashes and extra move speed after a dash are some of the better Hermes boons, so on most runs you'll make up for the loss and then some.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

The bonus damage dash is amazing. You get +50% damage *and* dodge chance on a near-dodge which if you're already running a dodge build (like fists) effectively renders you untouchable while also insanely increasing your damage output.

Dodge chance is lame when you can just avoid the attack entirely because you have better ways to reposition? If you really take it over 3 dashes all the time props to you I guess.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WarpedLichen posted:

Dodge chance is lame when you can just avoid the attack entirely because you have better ways to reposition? If you really take it over 3 dashes all the time props to you I guess.

You are pretty wrong on this as dodge chance is arguably the most broken thing in the game. When you stack it you don't need to reposition because you can effectively just tank attacks with no risk as long as you occasionally press dodge. I killed Extreme 4 without taking damage using that build.

You also can just get extra dashes from Hermes.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

WarpedLichen posted:

The issue is weapon choice. If you're running with fists then using three dashes to reposition out of harm's way is also taking you out of range to do damage. You want to stay very close at all times. One dash is generally all you'll have to have there and the bonus damage and dodge is super useful because some damage trading is inescapable when you're at phone booth range all the time.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many clears you need to reach the epilogue?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Got up to Theseus & Minotaur and ate poo poo twice, reminds me of my many Ornstein & Smough attempts lol

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Karanas posted:

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how many clears you need to reach the epilogue?

I don't remember how many it was exactly, but there's a new codex page that you get on your first clear that shows you how many more times to complete the page. I think it correlates with that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

The issue is weapon choice. If you're running with fists then using three dashes to reposition out of harm's way is also taking you out of range to do damage. You want to stay very close at all times. One dash is generally all you'll have to have there and the bonus damage and dodge is super useful because some damage trading is inescapable when you're at phone booth range all the time.

It's only 2 dashes now. Usually that doesn't leave you stranded out in the middle of nowhere, and especially if you've got some extra dash attack, running back in to engage isn't a huge timewaster.

Still, learning to do it all with a single dash will usually leave you better off for the long haul.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Just beat Extreme Measures Hades for the first time and he does not gently caress around. I wish I had any clue what he was doing in the last phase.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Switch performance is good. You get a slowdown if there's a ton of stuff on screen in handheld mode but it picks back up equally quickly, so it's worth the trade off when on the go imo. In docked mode it runs flawlessly.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Switch performance is good. You get a slowdown if there's a ton of stuff on screen in handheld mode but it picks back up equally quickly, so it's worth the trade off when on the go imo. In docked mode it runs flawlessly.

Hades is kind of like Binding of Isaac in that it is a lot of fun to play in a console/PC setting but having it on the go so you can play a bit before bed or whatever is extremely excellent.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Extreme Measures MAX done on 2nd attempt (and one with a proper build). With a totally comfortable 50 HP to spare.

Changes:
a) Generally speaking longer attack strings. All the attacks keep on for a couple more swings.
b) He summons minibosses, as if the normal enemies weren't annoying enough :suicide:. I assume if Middle Management is also up they get those bonuses :shepicide:.
c) I was not expecting THAT one. Best Boy.
d) But I was expecting the last one. Second Death Defiance of course.

WarpedLichen posted:

Just beat Extreme Measures Hades for the first time and he does not gently caress around. I wish I had any clue what he was doing in the last phase.

It's phase 2 again (with some less HP I think) but you can't see poo poo.

Omobono fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Sep 20, 2020

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

Glazius posted:

It's only 2 dashes now. Usually that doesn't leave you stranded out in the middle of nowhere, and especially if you've got some extra dash attack, running back in to engage isn't a huge timewaster.

Still, learning to do it all with a single dash will usually leave you better off for the long haul.

Yeah, I'm aware. I said three because that's what WL gave as an example. Everything moves fast in this game, so you're never going to be that far off when you're running melee. That's still time that you could be punching though. Even a small amount of time is significant with a rapid fire weapon like the fists. Plus the whole point is that it also gives a big boost to damage and dodge that you wouldn't get if you unnecessarily dash way far away for no real reason.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Someday I’ll turn on the Trap damage pact. Not today, or really anytime remotely soon, but someday.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It always seems like such a good idea til I get to phase 2

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

I got this on Switch a few days ago and I'm having a blast. Game rules.

What's a good trinket strategy? I don't have them all yet, but been running Coin Purse on floor 1, Feather Duster on 2, and Skully's Tooth on floor 3. Been working out pretty good so far.

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Harold Fjord posted:

It always seems like such a good idea til I realize the urns on the last boss are traps

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Gotta say as someone playing it since EA I really like how the theme of the game's story is overall about mending strained or burned relationships with friends and family :unsmith: It feels very wholesome

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For all their expertise at making action games with lots of violence, Supergiant Games is real good at making happy stories.

JamMasterJim
Mar 27, 2010

Waffle! posted:

I got this on Switch a few days ago and I'm having a blast. Game rules.

What's a good trinket strategy? I don't have them all yet, but been running Coin Purse on floor 1, Feather Duster on 2, and Skully's Tooth on floor 3. Been working out pretty good so far.

God's trinket on floor 1 to set up a specific strategy (maybe even for floor 2). Depending on your health, Evergreen accorn that negates instances of damage for boss battles may be worth it more in the last couple floors(especially the last one).
If you are running a defensive build, Achilles' trinket can trivialize most of the encounters

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

When Zagreus throws his mighty shield
All those who chose to oppose his shield must yield
If he’s lead to a fight and a duel is due
Then the red and the black and the blue’ll come through
When Zagreus throws his mighty shield

The Ares boon that lets you stack Doom is hilarious, Theseus just melted and pops didn't go down any slower. Add in the Demeter boon that max chills when you get hit and it really wasn't much of a fight in the end.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

The voice acting in this game is generally pretty great but then suddenly Zagreus' accent goes on a trip to sunny London town ala Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins. It's really weird and off putting, normally occurring at the end of conversations with an incidental line without a full text box. "Cheeyas mayte!"

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I just got an update that makes it impossible to "give up". I just restart whatever room I'm in instead. I'd just spent a bunch of titan's blood on a new aspect that I absolutely hate and would really like to go back to Skelly and undo it. I guess my game is on hold until this broken patch is reverted.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

KPC_Mammon posted:

I just got an update that makes it impossible to "give up". I just restart whatever room I'm in instead. I'd just spent a bunch of titan's blood on a new aspect that I absolutely hate and would really like to go back to Skelly and undo it. I guess my game is on hold until this broken patch is reverted.

They might have changed their mind on save scumming rooms vs runs

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
Game owns, just spent pretty much all weekend playing it non-stop. Escaped on attempt 28 with magnetic fists and mostly Zeus + Demeter boons. So good, every weapon is cool, every boon is useful, and it just keeps unlocking new stuff to play with.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Harold Fjord posted:

Give up preserving the run seed never made any sense to me. I'm surprised it stuck around for so long.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Harold Fjord posted:

Well that sucks. I spent 6 titan's blood with the expectation that I could reset if I ended up hating it. This is a new save after playing a lot of early access but not enough to unlock everything because holy poo poo does that take a lot of blood. What's the point of "give up" if it doesn't even end the run?

edit: It also isn't documented. Usually they have good patch notes. I wouldn't have spent the blood if I had known about the change.

KPC_Mammon fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 20, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Mad Wack posted:

it slows down in monster closet areas on the switch but it’s still totally playable

I haven't played on PC, so I might be missing something, but the switch seems extremely stable and looks great. I don't think I've noticed slowdown at all.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Just finished the main story, which doesn't include the epilogue apparently. Very interesting, there's even more story than I expected apparently.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

KPC_Mammon posted:

Well that sucks. I spent 6 titan's blood with the expectation that I could reset if I ended up hating it. This is a new save after playing a lot of early access but not enough to unlock everything because holy poo poo does that take a lot of blood. What's the point of "give up" if it doesn't even end the run?

edit: It also isn't documented. Usually they have good patch notes. I wouldn't have spent the blood if I had known about the change.

I was just coming to post this. It's a lovely change to do unannounced. Hopefully you can still test in the training room, but I haven't tested it yet. Why bother having a quit and give up option during a run now?

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

KPC_Mammon posted:

That sucks. If it helps, 6 blood isn’t that much in the grand scheme of things. You can replace it in three runs, or two once you run out of things to spend ambrosia on and start converting it to blood at 1:1

e: in fact it’s possible to get 5 blood off one run with some luck. Two from beating bosses, one from ambrosia from the Elysium boss, one from ambrosia catching a bass on the surface (presumably there’s a surface fish that gives blood too but I’ve only had bass so far) and one from the shop

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 20, 2020

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Well, that was the last time I put the trap buff in. Got double tapped to death in Satyrland. One heat point lmao.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Mainwaring posted:

The voice acting in this game is generally pretty great but then suddenly Zagreus' accent goes on a trip to sunny London town ala Dick van Dyke in Mary Poppins. It's really weird and off putting, normally occurring at the end of conversations with an incidental line without a full text box. "Cheeyas mayte!"

Eh, he sounds enough like a posh Londoner. Then again, I'm probably more forgiving to it after receiving minor brain damage from The Boys' take on London accents.

Wafflecopper posted:

That sucks. If it helps, 6 blood isn’t that much in the grand scheme of things. You can replace it in three runs, or two once you run out of things to spend ambrosia on and start converting it to blood at 1:1

e: in fact it’s possible to get 5 blood off one run with some luck. Two from beating bosses, one from ambrosia from the Elysium boss, one from ambrosia catching a bass on the surface (presumably there’s a surface fish that gives blood too but I’ve only had bass so far) and one from the shop

My first surface fish was a sturgeon, which I believe gave me 5 titan blood. I'm assuming it's so rare that I'm not going to see it again judging by that reward.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 20, 2020

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I've only ever got blood from my first run with a weapon. How do you get more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

JBP posted:

I've only ever got blood from my first run with a weapon. How do you get more?
Beat the game.