Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Warmachine posted:

See after a while of not using it and focusing on special builds with Chiron, I find that the bow rapid fire makes me worse at using the bow. It's automatic fire syndrome: you hold down the trigger and miss constantly, while having to charge triggers the 'aim carefully' instinct.

See, with Chiron bow and rapid fire I feel like it makes me a lot more mobile. I'm able to hit an enemy twice, give them a curse, mark them for the special, and dash away before the power attack would have even charged to the correct range. The only time I'm spamming the regular attack is if an enemy is stationary, or nearly so due to status effects, and I can just stand back and pepper them and really rack up privileged status damage.

It's seriously insane how much damage a rapid fire Chiron bow shits out, even if the aspect isn't maxed. 2 of my top three fastest clears were with that combo and they're minutes faster then numbers 4+.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

What are the go-to setups for the three melee weapons? I just picked up this game a week or two ago and have 6 clears, all with bow/spear/gun. I've come close once or twice with shield and fists, but usually find that I either take too much damage or can't output enough damage. And this is just a first-ever clear, no penalties or anything.

I find Aphrodite or Dionysus attack with Ares special works really well for the sword and fists. It's sets you up for either of the [X]/Ares which will greatly increase your damage output. Combing with a defensive dash like Artemis really helps as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Warmachine posted:

The one I will always, ALWAYS skip is cold embrace. If the beams passed through enemies, it'd be different, but it's just too fiddly to aim as is.

Oh yeah, I grabbed that for the first time the other day and it was poop. Fortunately the rest of the build made up for my cast suddenly being way worse.

What are the go-to setups for the three melee weapons? I just picked up this game a week or two ago and have 6 clears, all with bow/spear/gun. I've come close once or twice with shield and fists, but usually find that I either take too much damage or can't output enough damage. And this is just a first-ever clear, no penalties or anything.

For the Shield I really like Zeus or Ares on Special, especially if you've unlocked the Aspect of Chaos. I've been told that Poseidon Attack works well on the Shield because it has a little bit of knock-back by default but I haven't tried it. Any god who has a stackable status curse is good on Fists Attack, so Dionysus/Aphrodite/Demeter, or even Zeus since you can get a lot of chain lightning going there.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

C-Euro posted:

Oh yeah, I grabbed that for the first time the other day and it was poop. Fortunately the rest of the build made up for my cast suddenly being way worse.

Gods yes. I picked it up once (was the last Demeter boon for the collection) and never again. I grabbed it in Tartarus and couldn't find a single purge fountain the whole run that would offer me a chance to get rid of it.

heffsay
Mar 5, 2013

For fists, I don’t think you can go wrong with Aspect of Zagreus with Hermes Keepsake.
You can play pretty reckless with it as long as you manage to stack up the dodge on the keepsake through Tartarus/Asphodel.
If you can get an Athena or Poseidon dash (with their respective status effect boons for Exposed/Rupture) and Dio/Demeter/Zeus attack, you can button mash dash strike from start to finish with very little effort.

I’m a big fan of the Achilles aspect for spear, I think it’s pretty flexible and you can do a bunch of different builds - but it’s not the most beginner friendly play style imo.

Sword never really clicked with me until I got the hidden aspect - which is pretty overturned and not too hard to use.

For shield - I think all are fun, but Zagreus is pretty underwhelming. Current favorite is Zeus aspect with Demeter special and more or less anything else - once you get a hang of kiting your shield as it returns to you everything melts.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

My current Nemesis build starts with Artemis for more crits, with Chaos for bonus Special damage, followed by more Artemis crit boosts, and the Hammers for Special striking twice and double the radius. Add Doom or whatever other bonuses you like.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Sword has two really easy options in Excalibur and Poseidon. Excalibur is... really really hard to die with as long as you remember to keep an area thrown down with the Special to fight in. Just build chufty, focus on Aphro augments to both throw around Weak and get big Attack/Special increases, and just win everything by being extremely fat while hitting like a truck. One of the few builds that can really shine with some extra outside sustain if you can find it- whether through boons, the Feather Duster, or wells.

Poseidon Sword is probably the most braindead weapon to build around in the game. You just go standard cast build (except 100% use Stygian Blood from the mirror for the increased starting crystals) and outside the usual suspects you also fish Exit Wounds out of Artemis. Use any cast that lodges in folks (Artemis, Poseidon, Aphrodite, Athena- maybe not Zeus due to his gimmick) and then just mash 'em into a foe, pop them out with the special, retreat. Watch poo poo just DIE despite spending a majority of your investment into defensive boons because maxed Poes aspect Sword rockets cast builds to comedically spammy heights.

Spear is trickier. I think Guan Yu is the STRONGEST of the aspects, but it's also very hard to play well and basically requires the aspect maxed for the health penalty to be just a total non-starter. More reasonable is probably Zagreus, honestly. Treat it like a psuedo-ranged weapon, look for good special-related boons and hammer upgrades (Breaching Launcher and Chain Skewer are particularly great) and just focus on throwing it back and forth to melt through a line of enemies. The other two aspects are gimmicky- Achilles' can give you a lot of bonus damage if you decide to go Cast build (and if you're having trouble with Spear you might as well) while Hades' aspect is... legit probably the one bad aspect in the game unless they've fixed it in recent patches without some very specific help from hammer upgrades- charging Spin Attacks is generally too slow and small to be a great way to go about fishing out damage enhancements and, most unfortunately, the damage increase granted BY the spin does not apply TO further spin attacks so you're spending resources upgrading what is basically a utility feature of what is going to be an Attack or Cast build. Just use Achilles instead.

Fists are pretty flexible. I like Deflect and Expose on the attack and special of these more then any other weapon, so I'll go pretty heavy on Athena on most fist runs. Demeter is simple, and easy- take aspects that enhance your attack and your special to chunky levels and punch poo poo to death. Athena on Attack allows for maximum ignorance. Flying Cutter or Rush Kick off hammers can be hilarious if you can get enough extra Special damage with a Demeter run. It's maybe the most basic-rear end weapon aspect in the game- punch poo poo until the Special enhancement is charged up then UPPERCUT for maximum fun.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

ManMythLegend posted:

I find Aphrodite or Dionysus attack with Ares special works really well for the sword and fists. It's sets you up for either of the [X]/Ares which will greatly increase your damage output. Combing with a defensive dash like Artemis really helps as well.

That did the trick. Thank you!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

That did the trick. Thank you!

:hfive:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
Does Asterius show up as a mini-boss in Elysium if you've picked Middle Management as a pact option? I'm trying to talk to him to trigger the Hidden Fists unlock but I haven't seen him in a few runs during which I've had Middle Management, and I keep running into the big butterfly ball instead.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

C-Euro posted:

Does Asterius show up as a mini-boss in Elysium if you've picked Middle Management as a pact option? I'm trying to talk to him to trigger the Hidden Fists unlock but I haven't seen him in a few runs during which I've had Middle Management, and I keep running into the big butterfly ball instead.

He has for me.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

I was actually just wondering that as I was playing today. Each of my runs recently have been the butterball, but I’ve just started paying attention to it.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

C-Euro posted:

Definitely. Middle management is one of my default pacts and has been for 50+ runs. Not sure if the rate changes, but I've definitely fought Asterius plenty.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
New speed record with my first go with hidden bow. Attack on weak, doom on special. That triggered PS and then got curse of longing so it kept ticking. Mainly useful for bosses that absolutely melted. Also had Dire Misfortune so doom stacked.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
Finally beat EM4, but cheesed it with dodgefists.

Now wanna get through it with the aspect of Demeter - blitzing fools with a kamehameha wave x5 is stupid fun, but I always wind up as a glass cannon.

McKilligan fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 28, 2021

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Sad Panda posted:

Definitely. Middle management is one of my default pacts and has been for 50+ runs. Not sure if the rate changes, but I've definitely fought Asterius plenty.
And there's new dialogue for it too!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Do I'm bummed because I finally got employee of the month but I didn't get the special dialog from dad. :(

Also how long did it take to get Dusa's final bond conversation after you maxed her hearts? It's probably been over 15 runs since I did it and it seems like she's just reverted to filler text.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

ManMythLegend posted:

Also how long did it take to get Dusa's final bond conversation after you maxed her hearts? It's probably been over 15 runs since I did it and it seems like she's just reverted to filler text.

I ran into that as well, I'm pretty sure you also have to see Achilles off to Elysium.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Hello Sailor posted:

I ran into that as well, I'm pretty sure you also have to see Achilles off to Elysium.

As seems to be the rule for this thread, shortly after I posted that both conversations triggered for me. The RNG in this game is really weird.

Now the only favor I have left is Hypnos which I know takes forever...

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

ManMythLegend posted:

As seems to be the rule for this thread, shortly after I posted that both conversations triggered for me. The RNG in this game is really weird.

I did a run with Middle Management this afternoon and not only did I get the solo Asterius fight after asking about it yesterday, I got the trigger for the Hidden Fists :toot: These things are wild, what's the strategy for them?

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

C-Euro posted:

I got the trigger for the Hidden Fists :toot: These things are wild, what's the strategy for them?

I think it's to really lean into the dash attack and extra dashes they give you maiming when you can get away with it.

Snackmar
Feb 23, 2005

I'M PROGRAMMED TO LOVE THIS CHOCOLATY CAKE... MY CIRCUITS LIGHT UP FOR THAT FUDGY ICING.
I'm curious - does anyone leave Dash as a face button, instead of remapping it to a trigger?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I haven’t had any inclination to remap it, which is honestly kinda weird since I absolutely remap the dash in games like Mega Man X to one of the shoulder buttons. I’m also mostly fine with the manual reload button being R3 (or whatever that button is called on the Switch) so I’m probably just a weirdo.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

Man I just cannot escape with the sword to save my life. I've done it with the bow, fists, and rail, but the others I just can't click with. I haven't tried the shield or spear in a bit but I've tried the sword multiple times since my first escape and at most can get to Hades but can't kill him. I don't know if I'm building wrong or just loving up the dash into special enough to gently caress me but it's annoying.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Snackmar posted:

I'm curious - does anyone leave Dash as a face button, instead of remapping it to a trigger?

I've played 55-some hours on a regular game pad and have been totally fine with the default controller mapping. I've found I can kind of roll my thumb across the Dash and Attack buttons to get really good timing on Dash Strikes.

ChaosReaper posted:

Man I just cannot escape with the sword to save my life. I've done it with the bow, fists, and rail, but the others I just can't click with. I haven't tried the shield or spear in a bit but I've tried the sword multiple times since my first escape and at most can get to Hades but can't kill him. I don't know if I'm building wrong or just loving up the dash into special enough to gently caress me but it's annoying.

I struggled for a while with the Sword as well, it's a balanced weapon which means that it doesn't really excel at anything, and I think it has a somewhat basic moveset compared to the other weapons.

Try Poseidon Aspect with Artemis and Aphrodite as your primary gods. Look for Aphrodite's Cast and Exit Wounds from Artemis (pretty sure this requires a primary Artemis boon), and just alternate pressing Cast and Special until everything dies. Bonus points if you manage to get their Duo boon.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Snackmar posted:

Yeah. The only buttons I've remapped are Rail reload to L Trigger and companion summon to right stick press.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

For some reason I got the opposite style of most people and have tremendous success dashing through dudes with the sword / fists and super limited success with the spear / gun / bow. I have some clears with them but my best spear clear I got some crazy dash strike nonsense going so just played like my usual dash-spamming self and demolishing stuff. Athena approved.

McKilligan
May 13, 2007

Acey Deezy
I think the most ingeniously dickish thing the devs did was make the gold urns flash at you JUST as you hit the prompt to exit the room you're in.

I wonder how much gold I've failed to pick up in total.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

McKilligan posted:

I think the most ingeniously dickish thing the devs did was make the gold urns flash at you JUST as you hit the prompt to exit the room you're in.

I'm sure they programmed gold to flash after you've cleared a room so you don't have to worry about enemies, but I feel exactly the same way

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I beat Hades with the sword on my first clear (and I think it's my only sword clear so far). Hoarding Strike was my MVP in the end, I was hitting him for a ludicrous amount of damage each strike because I stopped going to the shop after like, very early Elysium.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

McKilligan posted:

lookit this rube who doesn't destroy every pot on general principle

sometimes I still miss pots, even gold ones

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Threw on EM4 and that boss song rips. Holy moly.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

McKilligan posted:

For me it's 'maybe I should check the garden' as I'm leaving the room.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

scuz posted:

Threw on EM4 and that boss song rips. Holy moly.

I unlocked that poo poo the second it was available at Orpheus' jukebox.

ChaosReaper
Feb 19, 2005
When a man lies he murders some part of the world. These are the pale deaths which men miscall their lives. All this I cannot bear to witness any longer. Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

So I guess if you ever get stuck just come ask this thread and it'll happen for you. I just tried a regular sword run thinking it would be poo poo after asking last night and managed to kill Hades no problem without even having to use the advice given. This thread has magical powers.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
What is a decent pact loadout for 32 heat? I can clear 20ish heat every time, but 32 is something else entirely. Here is what I usually try:

HL2
LC2
CF2
JS3
EM3
BP2
MM
UC
FO1
DC2
TD2

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Jury Summons is tough, Jury Summons 3 is absolutely brutal. You're literally multiplying your other enemy-enhancing conditions by 1.6. It also makes Tight Deadline much more of a problem. I'd replace that.

Maybe try instead one rank of Routine Inspection and one additional rank of Hard Labor. The last three mirror talents are nice to have, but not vital. I guarantee that an extra 20% damage is going to be easier to deal with than an extra 60% enemies. You could also try Heightened Security instead but that one is really rough in Asphodel and the Hades fight.

EDIT: Oh! You might also try just swapping out all of your Jury Summons for a third rank of Tight Deadline. Maybe getting through the regular amount of enemies in 5 minutes will be easier than getting through 1.6x enemies in 7 minutes.

Ariong fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Mar 1, 2021

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Konstantin posted:

What is a decent pact loadout for 32 heat? I can clear 20ish heat every time, but 32 is something else entirely. Here is what I usually try:

HL2
LC2
CF2
JS3
EM3
BP2
MM
UC
FO1
DC2
TD2

imo ditch jury summons and forced overtime (-3 each) in favor of some combination of capping hard labor (+3), routine inspection 1 (+2), tight deadline 3 (+3), and maaaaybe calisthenics program 1 (+1). more enemies means more chances to gently caress up and forced overtime makes loving up way easier; even calisthenics program is tough for a similar reason, but I find it less taxing than +20% normal enemies. heightened security is way tougher than it seems, as you might have realized, in part because the urns in the final boss fight also count as traps, so I skip it over calisthenics when I need one more heat.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Though if you can grab Athena's boon that reduces trap damage, it's nearly-free heat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

World War Mammories posted:

imo ditch jury summons and forced overtime (-3 each) in favor of some combination of capping hard labor (+3), routine inspection 1 (+2), tight deadline 3 (+3), and maaaaybe calisthenics program 1 (+1). more enemies means more chances to gently caress up and forced overtime makes loving up way easier; even calisthenics program is tough for a similar reason, but I find it less taxing than +20% normal enemies. heightened security is way tougher than it seems, as you might have realized, in part because the urns in the final boss fight also count as traps, so I skip it over calisthenics when I need one more heat.

I found tight deadline to be a hidden killer, giving yourself 9 minutes per act lets you take fewer risks against supercharged enemies.